MarieC1978

August 7th Start Date

337 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I just finished lunch on day 6. I ended up leaving for an unexpected conference trip so I have learned a couple things this weekend:

Prep is key. I didn't want any excuse not to stay compliant so I packed a dozen hard boiled eggs, tuna packets,  individual meal prep containers (one for every day) filled with veggies and fruits, a mayo and ranch container, almonds, bagged lettuce, and Rx and epic bars for emergencies. We all went out to a bar and it was my toughest moment in these 6 days. I LOVE beer and trying new breweries but I drank water, had a salad with lots of stuff removed and avocado added with oil and lemon slices. TOTALLY pouted because I watched my hubby eat a bacon burger and beer. Once I got my meal I learned something else:

This IS EMPOWERING. After my hard (and dramatic pouting) salad decision, I felt good. Like, really good about myself. That is the first time I felt good about myself in a long time. (Warning: getting sappy y'all) I have tried SO many things with a goal of losing weight so I could finally feel good about myself. I read Melissa and Dallas' books and did my research and made a list of things I would like to heal about myself (non-image based, heartburn, joint pain, skin irritation.... and lack of self love). Then I listed my whys. This self- exploration exercise is what I think made the difference for me. 

GUYS. I'm changing. Not just body composition (which for sake of sanity, I've had to detach myself from), but my heart. I'm nice to myself... for the first time in a long time. This seems to make my days go easier, my meals easier. I'm finally taking care of myself. 

Grateful for this program and for you all. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MelissaSue said:

Hey guys! I just finished lunch on day 6. I ended up leaving for an unexpected conference trip so I have learned a couple things this weekend:

Prep is key. I didn't want any excuse not to stay compliant so I packed a dozen hard boiled eggs, tuna packets,  individual meal prep containers (one for every day) filled with veggies and fruits, a mayo and ranch container, almonds, bagged lettuce, and Rx and epic bars for emergencies. We all went out to a bar and it was my toughest moment in these 6 days. I LOVE beer and trying new breweries but I drank water, had a salad with lots of stuff removed and avocado added with oil and lemon slices. TOTALLY pouted because I watched my hubby eat a bacon burger and beer. Once I got my meal I learned something else:

This IS EMPOWERING. After my hard (and dramatic pouting) salad decision, I felt good. Like, really good about myself. That is the first time I felt good about myself in a long time. (Warning: getting sappy y'all) I have tried SO many things with a goal of losing weight so I could finally feel good about myself. I read Melissa and Dallas' books and did my research and made a list of things I would like to heal about myself (non-image based, heartburn, joint pain, skin irritation.... and lack of self love). Then I listed my whys. This self- exploration exercise is what I think made the difference for me. 

GUYS. I'm changing. Not just body composition (which for sake of sanity, I've had to detach myself from), but my heart. I'm nice to myself... for the first time in a long time. This seems to make my days go easier, my meals easier. I'm finally taking care of myself. 

Grateful for this program and for you all. 

 

This post really made me smile and get all sappy too. :) YOU GO!!!! I'm so impressed with your prep work and with holding fast on the beer/burger front (I am SO with you on the beer; that's going to be super hard for me to do without). I have been experiencing the same empowering feeling you mentioned. Even today, when I had my sad leftover Mexican tuna boats with leftover slaw and cantaloupe in my parked car, even though that was the very last thing I wanted to eat at that moment, I felt really good afterword for staying strong and doing something good for my body. It's been awhile I've done that on the nutrition front. 

This is what we're here for! Keep up the great work @MelissaSue !!

MelissaSue, Karen L and Kdog777 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MelissaSue I was so happy for you after I read your post. 6 days in and you are already getting it. When times get tough, I want you to remember this day. Pull it close to you and use it to keep moving forward. So glad you could look past others choices and just make your own. Taking control DOES give you power - if only over yourself and that is a win!

Today for me was rough. I have VERY little appetite as I have been trying to "eat" three meals a day. I have gastroparesis and it was recommended that I "eat" only one meal a day and drink my other "meals."  This is why I am doing W30. I want to control My gastroparesis instead of letting it control me. I am afraid it won a little today as I am nauseous. But...I have not thrown up in 6 days (usually throw up anywhere from 6-12 times a week after meals).  I gotta figure out what works for me. I am holding this close to me that if I can go a week, I can make it two weeks, then three and eventually I WILL WIN!  

MelissaSue and SugarcubeOD like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MarieC1978 said:

This is totally normal. Not sure if you are a tough love kinda person or if you need a more compassionate approach so here goes. 

Tough Love:  This is not hard. It may feel hard in your mind, but you control your mind so it isn't hard. 

Compassionate: I hope you feel better tomorrow. It's so hard to complete a W30 perfectly the first time through. And to quit smoking on top of that?!  

Truth:  W30 is taxing on the system (and the mind) the first couple of go rounds. You have done so much work to prepare and now your body and mind seem to be fighting the process. Push through because you got this!  We are here for you. We are rooting for you!  You are amazing!  Tomorrow will be better if only on the inside. Your body is healing itself. Much like a burn or cut healing, your body will hurt a little during the process. Let it heal in order to be the best version of you!  

I quit smoking a few years ago. I know it's hard!  I almost committed felonies left and right, but it got better a little every day. Just keep telling yourself "I am getting healthier and richer by quitting!"  Count every small victory and then focus on them instead of the bad. 

Thank you so much!! And yes today was a better day. I needed to hear that. = )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MarieC1978 said:

This is totally normal. Not sure if you are a tough love kinda person or if you need a more compassionate approach so here goes. 

Tough Love:  This is not hard. It may feel hard in your mind, but you control your mind so it isn't hard. 

Compassionate: I hope you feel better tomorrow. It's so hard to complete a W30 perfectly the first time through. And to quit smoking on top of that?!  

Truth:  W30 is taxing on the system (and the mind) the first couple of go rounds. You have done so much work to prepare and now your body and mind seem to be fighting the process. Push through because you got this!  We are here for you. We are rooting for you!  You are amazing!  Tomorrow will be better if only on the inside. Your body is healing itself. Much like a burn or cut healing, your body will hurt a little during the process. Let it heal in order to be the best version of you!  

I quit smoking a few years ago. I know it's hard!  I almost committed felonies left and right, but it got better a little every day. Just keep telling yourself "I am getting healthier and richer by quitting!"  Count every small victory and then focus on them instead of the bad. 

First of all thank you to those that had some tough love words that I NEEDED to hear and it helped so much!!!

Day 5 was tough for me but, I stuck to my guns and didn't cheat. Day 6 is here and almost gone and I had a good day. I woke up feeling so accomplished that I made it through the last night. LOL!! I know I'll have tough days ahead as well. I've read posts of others that have completed and their adventure. So, I won't promise that I won't post a small breakdown. I ordered some bacon, ham and sausage from us wellness meats (whole 30 approved) so I can add more different proteins for breakfast and stuff. I was even able to have lunch out at Jason's deli. I had the salad bar and ordered a grilled chicken on the side. I was able to ask how they cook it and they only add spices that are compliant so I had a nice filling protein salad with fresh lemon and a little olive oil for the dressing. 

Again thanks so much!! I need you guys : = )

Karen L likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, invinciblechar said:

This post really made me smile and get all sappy too. :) YOU GO!!!! I'm so impressed with your prep work and with holding fast on the beer/burger front (I am SO with you on the beer; that's going to be super hard for me to do without). I have been experiencing the same empowering feeling you mentioned. Even today, when I had my sad leftover Mexican tuna boats with leftover slaw and cantaloupe in my parked car, even though that was the very last thing I wanted to eat at that moment, I felt really good afterword for staying strong and doing something good for my body. It's been awhile I've done that on the nutrition front. 

This is what we're here for! Keep up the great work @MelissaSue !!

It made me get teary eyed actually @MelissaSue. I felt like you were telling my story as well. I have an older sister that is absolutely beautiful, skinny, and tanned skin. Always felt inferior to that. I always wished I looked more like her and had her strong minded personality. I think now that this program is changing me for the better too. Each day that passes is an accomplishment now. And a day closer to completing something like this for the first time. I have said in the past I would do things but, never followed through. I actually feel like I can this time. Thanks to you all!!!!

invinciblechar and MarieC1978 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay...I broke down and ordered Nutpods but I have promised myself that I will only use it on really bad days. Today isn't so bad, so I could go without it today. Yesterday, with my nausea and crankiness, I might could have used a pick me up.

However, now I feel guilty because I feel like it's borderline not allowed for me...re-reading the section in my book about what I can't have (pancakes, paleo muffins, and other "duplicating something else" items).  Not sure on this one. Hmmmmmm.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MarieC1978 said:

Okay...I broke down and ordered Nutpods but I have promised myself that I will only use it on really bad days. Today isn't so bad, so I could go without it today. Yesterday, with my nausea and crankiness, I might could have used a pick me up.

However, now I feel guilty because I feel like it's borderline not allowed for me...re-reading the section in my book about what I can't have (pancakes, paleo muffins, and other "duplicating something else" items).  Not sure on this one. Hmmmmmm.....

I struggle with the "line" when it comes to duplication. I get why you're not supposed to duplicate, but some of the stuff that is "okay" (like the compliant "cream" in coffee) is puzzling to me. 

Or what about me:  I like black coffee and drink that in normal life. But I will now sometimes have some coconut milk in my afternoon coffee as a "treat"...is this actually not okay, since I'm not supposed to treat myself?

MarieC1978 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, amandamay83 said:

I struggle with the "line" when it comes to duplication. I get why you're not supposed to duplicate, but some of the stuff that is "okay" (like the compliant "cream" in coffee) is puzzling to me. 

Or what about me:  I like black coffee and drink that in normal life. But I will now sometimes have some coconut milk in my afternoon coffee as a "treat"...is this actually not okay, since I'm not supposed to treat myself?

Exactly!  I have been drinking my coffee black 7 days now. I don't hate it but I don't like it. I have realized I have been eating A LOT of compliant foods for years and my diet hasn't changed too much. I have mainly taken out the snacking. The foods I was eating before that I'm not eating now are breads, pastas, sugar (substitutes included) and cheese. My coffee is my only REAL struggle and my guilt over having creamer in it?  Not sure if this is one of those changes I should be working on as far as my relationship to food or if it's no big deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2017 at 10:12 PM, Kdog777 said:

Thanks Karen! I needed that! I am making dinner now actually. I decided to leave the pity party, lol. I literally broke down and was crying. But, I let it out and said "tomorrow will be better". Even if its not I can pretend it is. Yes, I have not smoked in 5 days! It is so tough. But, I'm also thinking at least I can't drink either as that would make it worse. As we all know those who have smoked that they go hand in hand. Maybe a walk after dinner will be good too. I just need something to take the edge off and a little sweating may just do the trick. Thanks again for the support as sometimes it can feel lonely.

YOU ARE A ROCK STAR!!!!  I am having the pity party here thinking how challenging this weekend has been and you are sleighing TWO dragons simultaneously.  I am damn proud of you!!!!!  One day at a time and remember, we are getting close to the Tiger Blood phase - can't wait.

 

 

Kdog777 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all.  Been away this weekend at a Yoga Retreat.  Great timing as it totally got me in the spiritual space to be strong when I feel weak.  All that said . . . I have an experience to share on not eating.

I woke up this morning planning to make the pot roast for dinner tonight (and tomorrow night and the next night . . . lol).  Hubby woke up with me and we realized we didn't have all the ingredients so I made the (miserable) mistake of grabbing my cup of coffee with coco milk (no other food, mind you) and out the door we went to Whole Foods.  One long trip around Whole Foods studying food labels after we bought carrots, one un-planned trip to Target for paper towels for the war zone our kitchen has become, and one very long wonderful unexpected phone call from one of our 5 children later and it was nearly 1pm and I had eaten nothing.  Wow!!! I had to leave Target and go lay flat in the car with A/C blowing in my face.  I wasn't sure if I was going to throw up or faint.  Not good.  I promise myself I will never skip my meal 1 for sure.  I can see how my body needs the nourishment.  Before I could have taken my cup of coffee with coconut milk (and honey) and been just fine.  Not now.  

Anyway, stay nourished.  My new mantra!!  Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Kdog777 and Karen L like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, invinciblechar said:

This post really made me smile and get all sappy too. :) YOU GO!!!! I'm so impressed with your prep work and with holding fast on the beer/burger front (I am SO with you on the beer; that's going to be super hard for me to do without). I have been experiencing the same empowering feeling you mentioned. Even today, when I had my sad leftover Mexican tuna boats with leftover slaw and cantaloupe in my parked car, even though that was the very last thing I wanted to eat at that moment, I felt really good afterword for staying strong and doing something good for my body. It's been awhile I've done that on the nutrition front. 

This is what we're here for! Keep up the great work @MelissaSue !!

@MelissaSue You are amazing.  So proud of where you are taking this!!!  I am happy for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys!  Just wanted to address the discussion about coffee creamer and treating yourself.  First, nutpod coffee creamer is fine :)  What we don't want people doing is creating a concoction of coconut milk, dates, vanilla, cocoa and magic to make something that resembles the Starbucks Venti MochafrappaGoop thing you used to have an addiction to... But if you like creamy coffee, you can have creamy coffee :) .  If you like black coffee but Fridays are the day that you have a nice creamy cup of coffee as a treat, that's okay too!  The thing about SWYPO is sometimes easier if you ask yourself if what you're wanting to eat or make is a concocotion... is it a kitchen science experiment of time and money to make something that's 'sort of' like the old thing but with compliant ingredients.  Almond milk isn't a concoction...  Now, if you were drinking a mug of nutpods with a splash of coffee, that would be a different story, but I don't think that's what's going on here :) 

Now, the thing about treats... you ARE allowed to treat yourself, but we want you to do it in a healthy way and usually food isn't that way... that said, tea with a splash of milk in it is definitely an okay treat!  It's not going to set your sugar dragon roaring, it's not going to ruin your appetite etc... if you can see a negative behavior or side effect of having a cup of creamy tea as a treat, then you'd want to be honest about whether it's a good idea, but it's definitely allowed :)  If a cup of Earl Grey Tea with a splash of nutpods or coconut milk is what you consider a treat now instead of brownies and ice cream, then you GOT this! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hey guys!  Just wanted to address the discussion about coffee creamer and treating yourself.  First, nutpod coffee creamer is fine :)  What we don't want people doing is creating a concoction of coconut milk, dates, vanilla, cocoa and magic to make something that resembles the Starbucks Venti MochafrappaGoop thing you used to have an addiction to... But if you like creamy coffee, you can have creamy coffee :) .  If you like black coffee but Fridays are the day that you have a nice creamy cup of coffee as a treat, that's okay too!  The thing about SWYPO is sometimes easier if you ask yourself if what you're wanting to eat or make is a concocotion... is it a kitchen science experiment of time and money to make something that's 'sort of' like the old thing but with compliant ingredients.  Almond milk isn't a concoction...  Now, if you were drinking a mug of nutpods with a splash of coffee, that would be a different story, but I don't think that's what's going on here :) 

Now, the thing about treats... you ARE allowed to treat yourself, but we want you to do it in a healthy way and usually food isn't that way... that said, tea with a splash of milk in it is definitely an okay treat!  It's not going to set your sugar dragon roaring, it's not going to ruin your appetite etc... if you can see a negative behavior or side effect of having a cup of creamy tea as a treat, then you'd want to be honest about whether it's a good idea, but it's definitely allowed :)  If a cup of Earl Grey Tea with a splash of nutpods or coconut milk is what you consider a treat now instead of brownies and ice cream, then you GOT this! 

OMG...THANK YOU @SugarcubeOD!  What you said makes perfect sense.  I was going to re-read the section in W30 again to make sure I understood the "Ground Rules," but you explained it perfectly!  Because I am borderline obsessed with my coffee (Venti Quad Nonfat White Mocha GOOP), I will use my Nutpods in a responsible non-SWYPO way.  If I notice I am drinking more Nutpod than coffee, I know I have a problem!  :D

Karen L likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Brensuma Thank you for continuing to post the quick reference graphics!  So helpful to have things handy at a glance when looking them up isn't practical or desirable. 

We are allowed to have white (or regular/nightshade) potatoes now - the program did a reverse on that awhile ago. So fun having steak, baked potato and salad for dinner last night and breakfast this morning!  

I tried to formulate an answer for the treat/SWYPO questions earlier. I could feel the answer but not articulate it so waited for someone smarter than me, i.e. @SugarcubeOD to answer. Thank you! 

Hope all are having a beautiful Sunday. I am now bone broth and ghee ahead, Yay!

IMG_3577.JPG

Karen L and MarieC1978 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So.... I'm gonna start over. Long story short, I made poor choices yesterday. I could justify them, it wasn't terrible... but it wasn't on plan. I thought about just continuing on, but...I think I'm in a better place now. I want to do this right. Last week was a good "ease in" for me, good practice, if you will. And now...I'm ready to do this right. Day 1 tomorrow...again. 

(Please don't kick me out of our little group!)

MarieC1978 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I spent 2 hours shopping and got so frustrated looking for ingredients, either their location, or finding one that didn't have sugar added!  I'll have to "wing" some of my recipes. Didn't want to repeat last week's.  I'm finding breakfasts the hardest. Does anyone have a good go-to?  

MarieC1978 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Hello all.  Been away this weekend at a Yoga Retreat.  Great timing as it totally got me in the spiritual space to be strong when I feel weak.  All that said . . . I have an experience to share on not eating.

I woke up this morning planning to make the pot roast for dinner tonight (and tomorrow night and the next night . . . lol).  Hubby woke up with me and we realized we didn't have all the ingredients so I made the (miserable) mistake of grabbing my cup of coffee with coco milk (no other food, mind you) and out the door we went to Whole Foods.  One long trip around Whole Foods studying food labels after we bought carrots, one un-planned trip to Target for paper towels for the war zone our kitchen has become, and one very long wonderful unexpected phone call from one of our 5 children later and it was nearly 1pm and I had eaten nothing.  Wow!!! I had to leave Target and go lay flat in the car with A/C blowing in my face.  I wasn't sure if I was going to throw up or faint.  Not good.  I promise myself I will never skip my meal 1 for sure.  I can see how my body needs the nourishment.  Before I could have taken my cup of coffee with coconut milk (and honey) and been just fine.  Not now.  

Anyway, stay nourished.  My new mantra!!  Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Thanks for the kind words @Sara Cameron-Ragazzo!!! Today was a good day for me. However, I also made the mistake of not eating breakfast before leaving for the grocery store. Big Mistake!!! I only had a cup of coffee with some nutted and out I went. The good news is I made it home before 10:30 so after I put the groceries away I made my "brunch", lol. I'll be honest I've hated left overs most of my adult life but, this last week is all about left overs and it feels great to eat them and not waste food anymore. I'm also trying to be more prepared this weeks menu. I did all my prep today. I have a pork butt in the crockpot that should serve at least 2 days. I have all my veggies pre-chopped and stored in airtight containers. I'm making beef bone broth that I can strain in the morning and my hubby said he'll make sure to scrap the fat off the top for me while I'm at work. I made coconut flour crusted baked chicken tenderloins for a quick lunch too. I will also grill up some little steaks so I can have steak and eggs for breakfast. 

I want to say thank you to all of you on this forum that started with me and have given me such great support!! My hairdresser is the one that told me about this Whole30 and she has also been a great support. She told me that day 11 is the hardest but, once I reach day 14 I will notice the changes. I can't wait. I'm also not as scared now to face day 11 as I have you guys. And you guys have me. Wish we all lived close so after we complete our journey we could celebrate together. Well, we can here at least!

Hope to hear from you tomorrow!!! Here's to completing Day 7!!!!

 

 

invinciblechar likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kdog777 said:

Thanks for the kind words @Sara Cameron-Ragazzo!!! Today was a good day for me. However, I also made the mistake of not eating breakfast before leaving for the grocery store. Big Mistake!!! I only had a cup of coffee with some nutted and out I went. The good news is I made it home before 10:30 so after I put the groceries away I made my "brunch", lol. I'll be honest I've hated left overs most of my adult life but, this last week is all about left overs and it feels great to eat them and not waste food anymore. I'm also trying to be more prepared this weeks menu. I did all my prep today. I have a pork butt in the crockpot that should serve at least 2 days. I have all my veggies pre-chopped and stored in airtight containers. I'm making beef bone broth that I can strain in the morning and my hubby said he'll make sure to scrap the fat off the top for me while I'm at work. I made coconut flour crusted baked chicken tenderloins for a quick lunch too. I will also grill up some little steaks so I can have steak and eggs for breakfast. 

I want to say thank you to all of you on this forum that started with me and have given me such great support!! My hairdresser is the one that told me about this Whole30 and she has also been a great support. She told me that day 11 is the hardest but, once I reach day 14 I will notice the changes. I can't wait. I'm also not as scared now to face day 11 as I have you guys. And you guys have me. Wish we all lived close so after we complete our journey we could celebrate together. Well, we can here at least!

Hope to hear from you tomorrow!!! Here's to completing Day 7!!!!

 

 

Right back atcha @Kdog777 .  And, you may hear this from other people too . . . . don't skim the fat off the bone broth.  That where all the magic happens!!!  Have a great end to your day 7!! About to sit down to some roast beef and veges and a cold thai salad!!  Yum!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@amandamay83.....please stay with us! Proud of your honesty and starting fresh rather than adding on :)

@Karen L.....I hate grocery shopping  because of all the time spent reading labels. And what was comliant last week might not be next. Wish I had an easy answer for breakfast. I'm still working on that myself

I wasn't home for lunch today so ended up missing a meal. I don't know how to work this when I'm not home, it's poor planning on my part. Usually I'm not hungry and don't realise I've missed the meal

Karen L likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, amandamay83 said:

So.... I'm gonna start over. Long story short, I made poor choices yesterday. I could justify them, it wasn't terrible... but it wasn't on plan. I thought about just continuing on, but...I think I'm in a better place now. I want to do this right. Last week was a good "ease in" for me, good practice, if you will. And now...I'm ready to do this right. Day 1 tomorrow...again. 

(Please don't kick me out of our little group!)

I started this group and had to be honest with myself about my oops moment. It happens and we just have to move forward. We are human. Having said this...don't you dare leave. Our W30 family would not be complete without you!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now