August 7th Start Date

MarieC1978

7 hours ago, Karen L said:

Today I spent 2 hours shopping and got so frustrated looking for ingredients, either their location, or finding one that didn't have sugar added!  I'll have to "wing" some of my recipes. Didn't want to repeat last week's.  I'm finding breakfasts the hardest. Does anyone have a good go-to?  

Okay...true story...I am on my phone CONSTANTLY when I am shopping. No...not talking or texting, but looking up things on this forum!  It takes me forever, but I am training my kids while we are there.

As you all know, my husband is supporting me by eating W30 meals. He comes to me yesterday and says "Babe, I love you, but I just want a salami, turkey, and ham sandwich. I will wrap that sucker in lettuce and I won't even ask for Swiss cheese."  I went to the store hoping to find lunchmeat for him without sugar or non-compliant ingredients. My teenage son was with me because he wanted to drive (permit driver God help me). He was looking at the ingredients with me and kept putting them back saying "Why the heck is there sugar (dextrose - he now knows is the devil) in my meat?"  Did we find anything compliant?  NOPE!  All of them had sugar or soy or some crap in it. Had to call him to ask if he wanted to cheat until I could order some online. "Order meat online?  Are you off your rocker woman?!". He had me laughing so hard in the store I had to put him on speakerphone. Everyone in the deli aisle was laughing at our conversation.  I ended up buying him small packs of lunchmeat that looked to be the healthiest and he agreed to eat "that stuff" from online. 

Shopping is the hardest part of W30 to me. Seems the food industry could use an education on what we need and don't need in our food. 

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, amandamay83 said:

So.... I'm gonna start over. Long story short, I made poor choices yesterday. I could justify them, it wasn't terrible... but it wasn't on plan. I thought about just continuing on, but...I think I'm in a better place now. I want to do this right. Last week was a good "ease in" for me, good practice, if you will. And now...I'm ready to do this right. Day 1 tomorrow...again. 

(Please don't kick me out of our little group!)

We messed up on day 2 (non-compliant bacon) and the group kindly welcomed me to stay so I'll do the same to you. Please stay. :) Tomorrow will be better!

Good Morning W30 Family!

Well, I survived the weekend with no off plan events.  I am learning that if I make sure to eat enough protein and a healthy fat along side of my veggies, I am not hungry throughout the day.  

The hardest part for me was my first "unplanned" lunch stop on saturday...hubby just had to eat!  I scoured the menu, asked questions and couldn't find one thing on the menu W30 compliant.  I ended up with a dinner salad and lemons to squeeze over it.  You can bet when I got home, I made some protein salad and served it in a cucumber boat...YUM!

For me, the W30 is about my health more than it is about the weight.  Yes, I need to loose about 80 pounds but I figure that will follow as I change HOW we are eating.  I am beginning to feel better.  The headaches are minimal now.  

I am starting a walking program with my neighbor today.... first time I have made it a point to exercise in yrs.  See, I work from home so I am blessed that I don't have office parties and lunches or even co-workers to derail me.  If I fall off plan, it's my own fault. :D

I haven't done a lot of "prep" work simply because it's easy for me to whip out the whole 30 cookbook and make a meal.  I can see where making freezer bags of prepped stuff will come in handy as I enter the busier season of work.  About the only prep I do right now is that I choose 5 dinner recipes for the week and make sure I have all the ingredients on hand.

I don't say all this to brag that I have not experienced alot of "work" in meal planning and prep but to say that the grocery shopping part is awful.  I hate shopping in the first place and now that I am paying attention to labels, I can't find everything I want, it takes tons of my time, and I end up traveling further to another store or going to Amazon, us meats or thrive to place orders there and then ....wait....shopping has never been my fav...run in, grab and get out has been my motto for years! 

Well, I hope everyone has a fantastic week 2.  We are almost half way through the first W30.  I am thinkingbthat I will pbly keep going and so 60 or 90 days.... we will see when 30 gets Here!

I love reading everyone's honest posts about things and the questions posed in this forum feed.  You all keep me focused on why i am doing this and motivated to stay the course! THANK YOU!

Here's my bfast this morning! Yum!  I just LOVE avacados!

20170814_065313.jpg

Maybe you all can help me talk this through.

Brief backstory:  last year, I lost 70 lbs.  No magical plan, just eating less and exercising more.  I firmly believe why it finally worked for me is that 1) I didn't count anything (points, calories, carbs, macros) and 2) I didn't eliminate anything.  Knowing that I could always have a small piece of chocolate (as an example) made it easy to resist the kids' candy.  Historically, what happens is that I try to eliminate something--whether that carbs, sugar, dessert, whatever--I do well for a week or two, fall "off plan," then have a massive binge with the idea that, "I'm going to start again tomorrow and I can never have this again, so I better enjoy it now."

What's concerning me is that that's exactly what happened yesterday.  The day was basically good, even with a non-compliant lunch, but then I decided to restart my W30 today.... and the wheels came off.  I binged on everything to the point of being sick.

On one hand, this leaves me concerned that maybe W30 is not good for my mental health.  On the other hand, I really do want to try it.  Both because I want a "reset" after a summer that was crappy in every way (I've dubbed it "The Summer of Crushing Disappointment"), and because I believe I may have some food sensitivity issues that I'd like to pin down.  

I guess the question is, how do I get past the deprivation mindset that leads me to binge?

@amandamay83

Hi there!  I feel for you!  I'd lost 65 pounds on a previous diet, then gained most of it back.  Lost 20, then been stuck.  Over my life I've gained, lost, gained, etc.  So many of the 'diets' I do are short-term, feel like deprivation, then I binge.  I usually give myself "cheat days", which turn into "cheat weekends", etc.  I'm really hoping this truly re-sets my relationship with food.  I'm just ready.  I quit smoking last year.. again.. I gave up alcohol for 2017, so now I'm ready for the food.  I really can't say what's done it, except I, myself, am ready.  It's more concentrating on what I need to be doing instead of what I'm doing without, if that makes sense.  I think everyone's story is different.  Similar, but different.  All us overeaters have triggers that've gotten us here.  Unfortunately, I think you have to figure out what works for you.  The only recommendation I'd have is not to concentrate on what you're giving up, but concentrate on all that you'll be getting.  If you can make it just 30 days... just 30 short days... then re-evaluate and see if it's made a difference.  I can do anything for 30 days, I tell myself!!  If it's truly something that you just can't master, I know there are therapists out there that specialize in food relationships.  Maybe it would be worth talking to one?  I wish you the best!  It's not an easy thing to do, but recognizing a problem is a big step!!

More dream news:

Last night, I dreamt that I was casually drinking a Coke Zero, and that I found out there was added sugar in something I was eating. I was disappointed in my dream self when I woke up, because my plan in the dream was to just keep quiet and pretend nothing ever happened. Naughty dreamer. 

@amandamay83....I was going to post pretty much the same as @Karen L. I also need to lose about (now) 40 is pounds and tend to binge on foods I want to eliminate. Tell me something I cant have something and I'll eat a crap load of it before "giving it up". This is my 2nd round of w30. What's been working for me is 

1. Telling myself it's for my own good. I need to get (so eat) healthier

2. It's "only" 30 days.

Stick to it! You can do it. One day at a time...baby steps

@Brensuma and @Karen L... you make good points.  I need to focus on reminding myself that it's not forever.  It's 30 days.  And not focus on the 29 days ahead of me...just get through today.  And maybe take it one step further.... if today is awful, I can quit tomorrow morning.... but right now, I just need to get through today.  

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, amandamay83 said:

@Brensuma and @Karen L... you make good points.  I need to focus on reminding myself that it's not forever.  It's 30 days.  And not focus on the 29 days ahead of me...just get through today.  And maybe take it one step further.... if today is awful, I can quit tomorrow morning.... but right now, I just need to get through today.  

You're in a boat with a lot of people that have to get through Whole30 one meal at a time... prepping helps, especially if you're a person that really doesn't like to waste food... if you have the food made at home ready for you, especially when you're hungry, you're more likely to just go home and eat it.

You could also try doing all your shopping on one day and then not head into a grocery store again that week... I have given myself a very tight food budget which means if I want avocados for instance, there's no room in the budget for anything else that might not be a good choice.

Outside of that, all those things that you're wanting to binge on are going to be there in 30 days... they've probably even got a shelf life of at least that long, LOL... yuck!  You'll find as you get into the program and you're feeling well fed, calm and accomplished that you're not going meal to meal anymore and that it's not such a struggle... but please know that we totally understand what you're going through and you're definitely not the first, last or only one!  You can do it! I know you can!

15 hours ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Right back atcha @Kdog777 .  And, you may hear this from other people too . . . . don't skim the fat off the bone broth.  That where all the magic happens!!!  Have a great end to your day 7!! About to sit down to some roast beef and veges and a cold thai salad!!  Yum!  

Oh really? Is it still whole30 compliant? If so, then I won't. Thanks for the tip.

@amandamay83 I am an emotional eater, so I am that person who grabs a candy bar or bag of chips every time she is bored, sad, stressed, anxious, mad, frustrated, happy, etc. cause you get the picture. I am also a mom, so if I just don't buy anything off-plan, I feel guilty that the rest of my family has to go without "insert food" for 30 days because I can't have it?  I also do not like to be told "no."  I am a rebel without a cause - no really... there is no cause. You tell me no...and I'm doing it. 

How to get through?  Well, first let me say these are suggestions:

1.) I have my 30 day calendar written on my bedroom mirror.  I see it first think when I wake up and right when I go to bed.  It's a wonderful reminder, but it also serves as a little victory every day I get to mark off.  I just used dry erase markers.

2.)  I do not buy any trigger foods.  Period!  If it is something that is my favorite or something I am weak with normally, and it is say my daughters favorite?  Sorry Chica, but you can only have those in hiding and you have to buy them yourself.  I had an emotional talk with my kids and family about W30 and why I am doing it.  Just expecting them to understand is not going to garner a lot of support.  They need to see the emotion behind why you are doing it.  I work from home too, so there isn't anyone besides family to say "no" or "do you REALLY want to start over again?"  There is no other Beings around to be accountable to so USE them!

3.)  This is the hardest part of all!  Will power!  I have none.  I count each day as a "Hell yeah I made it!" ( Excuse the language) I also give myself a little pat on the back!  One day and I am doing a cartwheel because I have earned it.  So, if you make it one day, for you and me, that IS a success!  Now we shoot for two days!   I look at my calendar on my mirror and I tell myself it is only 30 days to completion.  I have my 30 days marked on every calendar.  (September 5th)  I already know introduction foods/meals.  I have everything planned out because I have to see the big picture in order to say "no" to whatever it is that is tempting me today.

Having said all this, none of this may work for you.  This is trial and error, I think, at its finest.  There is nothing that says you can't try and have to restart over and over again until you get it right.  The key is to pick yourself up and try, try again.  I had to!  @SnappySue had to!  I believe I read that @Brensuma had to!  You are not alone, so don't go anywhere!  We have all been there done that in the oops or flat out mistakes department!  Think about it this way...your day one just happens to be different than ours, but you still get the opportunity to HAVE a day one. Cut yourself some slack and jump in with both feet for this second go at it!

55 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You're in a boat with a lot of people that have to get through Whole30 one meal at a time... prepping helps, especially if you're a person that really doesn't like to waste food... if you have the food made at home ready for you, especially when you're hungry, you're more likely to just go home and eat it.

You could also try doing all your shopping on one day and then not head into a grocery store again that week... I have given myself a very tight food budget which means if I want avocados for instance, there's no room in the budget for anything else that might not be a good choice.

Outside of that, all those things that you're wanting to binge on are going to be there in 30 days... they've probably even got a shelf life of at least that long, LOL... yuck!  You'll find as you get into the program and you're feeling well fed, calm and accomplished that you're not going meal to meal anymore and that it's not such a struggle... but please know that we totally understand what you're going through and you're definitely not the first, last or only one!  You can do it! I know you can!

I only shop once a week for this reason!  It really does help. I go to the store with a full belly and a LIST!  Don't forget the list. Don't look for things on sale that aren't on the list. Don't deviate from the list!  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kdog777 said:

Oh really? Is it still whole30 compliant? If so, then I won't. Thanks for the tip.

The thing with fat on bone broth is this... if you're using bones and parts from well raised animals, then go ahead and eat the fat... some people scrape it off to cook with if it's a lot; I strain my broth into 500ml mason jars (pint) so if it's a little bit, I just reheat it all together and drink it (or use it for soup or whatever).  If you're going to reheat and drink like coffee, be VERY careful because fat gets a lot hotter a lot faster than the rest of the liquid - @ladyshanny managed to find this out the hard way and SCORCHED her mouth, tongue, throat.

If the bones and parts that you're using are conventionally raised (grocery store parts), then definitely skim and toss the fat.  Toxins, medications, steriods etc... are held in the fat of animals so if that animal came from a CAFO type 'farm', you don't want to eat the fat.

In either case, whatever you decide to do, the fat is compliant to Whole30 so it's your choice :)

42 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

The thing with fat on bone broth is this... if you're using bones and parts from well raised animals, then go ahead and eat the fat... some people scrape it off to cook with if it's a lot; I strain my broth into 500ml mason jars (pint) so if it's a little bit, I just reheat it all together and drink it (or use it for soup or whatever).  If you're going to reheat and drink like coffee, be VERY careful because fat gets a lot hotter a lot faster than the rest of the liquid - @ladyshanny managed to find this out the hard way and SCORCHED her mouth, tongue, throat.

If the bones and parts that you're using are conventionally raised (grocery store parts), then definitely skim and toss the fat.  Toxins, medications, steriods etc... are held in the fat of animals so if that animal came from a CAFO type 'farm', you don't want to eat the fat.

In either case, whatever you decide to do, the fat is compliant to Whole30 so it's your choice :)

Thanks @SugarcubeOD!! I didn't get the bones this time from the butcher or whole foods. I bought them from the grocery store. So bye bye fat!! Not risking that. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

You guys. You are awesome. Thanks for your words of encouragement!!

I'm bummed today. Yesterday I made a tuna salad and my hubby chopped up pickles. It turns out he grabbed the wrong pickles from the fridge and used ones that had HF corn syrup in them. So.. long story short I am starting over. Although... I have no shame about it, it was not a conscious choice. I intended for this to be a lifestyle change anyway, and my brain is already making huge strides. I am going to stick with you guys and add another week, most likely I will be doing a whole additional whole 30 because.. well.. i seriously need it. I just wanted to be honest with you all about my need to start over. Here's to three more excellent (and label reading) weeks. 

@MelissaSue  that stinks!  I'm sorry. Good for you for your decision to keep going. I'm so afraid something like that will happen, or has happened without me knowing!  I went to a salad bar and made healthy choices, but then got paranoid.. what if they put sugar on their fruit or vegetables!  The fruit tasted sweet, but is that just because fruit is sweet?  What if they soak it in something I don't know about?   Super paranoid.. now I don't even trust salad bars..  I feel like I have to make all my own meals!

13 minutes ago, amandamay83 said:

Office celebration today...my coworker's work anniversary, so there is cake.  I'm really hoping I can avoid eating it without too much "to do."  

You can do it!  Bring a water with a straw, or other favorite drink - it will at least keep your hands full.  15 minutes to get through, and you will feel so empowered after!

15 minutes ago, amandamay83 said:

Office celebration today...my coworker's work anniversary, so there is cake.  I'm really hoping I can avoid eating it without too much "to do."  

You can do this, @amandamay83! If you don't make a big deal about it, no one else will either. There's so much power in the resolve of "no thank you." :)

2 hours ago, Karen L said:

I also woke up at 3:50 am and couldn't fall back to sleep.  Early to bed, early to rise, I guess.  Grrr...

This keeps happening to me too. I spend hours awake in the middle of the night. This tends to happen any time I change my diet drastically. I'm sure there are troubleshooting tips on this forum somewhere about this, at least regarding staying up in the middle of the night because I start to feel hungry since I'm not supposed to be awake then, but I just haven't had a chance to hunt around for it yet... I hope tonight is more restful, @Karen L

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SweetEnough said:

You can do this, @amandamay83! If you don't make a big deal about it, no one else will either. There's so much power in the resolve of "no thank you." :)

Exactly.  People eat and don't eat cake all the time... we don't usually notice but not eating a piece of cake isn't really all that strange, so just say no thank you and move along... you can do it!

On 8/8/2017 at 7:45 PM, MelissaSue said:

I've seen several of you comment that you dreamed of non-compliant food or drinks last night. I dreamt that I accidentally got sweet tea instead of unsweet. I'm really hungry and sleepy today.  I'm ready to hit Day 15!!!

Archived