August 7th Start Date

MarieC1978

1 minute ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Can those of you who have been down this road give me the benefit of your thoughts?

Have you been keeping a food log? If you could post a few days of what you have been eating we can certainly take a look and see if there's anything you might want/need to tweak...

Regarding breakfast you really don't have to eat eggs, like ever. I'm not currently doing a Whole30 but to an outsider it might look that way - this morning I had leftover sweet & sour chicken, and I have also been known to have curries, salads, burgers, stews & all kinds of things. If you're dreading the eggs find something else., just don't skip breakfast - it truly is the most important meal as it sets the tone for the rest of the day.

Re the Tiger Blood - day 11 is probably a little early in my experience, but are you eating oily fish? If not then dig in ;)

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, amandamay83 said:

I'm not a lot of help, but I can at least speak to breakfast:  don't feel like you HAVE to eat "breakfast foods."  When I was in high school, I ate a tuna sandwich for breakfast more days than not.  Clearly, that's not gonna work in this instance, but eat whatever the heck you want!  

Thanks @amandamay83 I know you are exactly right.  I need to abandon the traditional breakfast idea.  Probably need to plan better so I have extra Meal 2 and Meal 3 food!  

3 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Have you been keeping a food log? If you could post a few days of what you have been eating we can certainly take a look and see if there's anything you might want/need to tweak...

Regarding breakfast you really don't have to eat eggs, like ever. I'm not currently doing a Whole30 but to an outsider it might look that way - this morning I had leftover sweet & sour chicken, and I have also been known to have curries, salads, burgers, stews & all kinds of things. If you're dreading the eggs find something else., just don't skip breakfast - it truly is the most important meal as it sets the tone for the rest of the day.

Re the Tiger Blood - day 11 is probably a little early in my experience, but are you eating oily fish? If not then dig in ;)

Not keeping a log but I have been doing a really good job of following the menu in the Whole30 book.  Also, eating a considerable amount of good fish - had the poached salmon last night in fact.  Plus, I'm taking a really good Mercola krill oil supplement and I add MCT oil to my food, as well.  Hmmmmmmmm.

21 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

I usually obsess in the car drive to work and home. I thinks that's also because that's when I would smoke. So now, I crank up the AC/DC and sing as loud as possible after I tell my head "next chapter". 

Loving the singing distraction!!! Way to go!!

@Sara Cameron-Ragazzo Sorry to hear you're feeling discouraged/worried, but, according to the timeline, I think that's right on schedule. Days 10 and 11 are said to be the worst. I know I felt it yesterday. I didn't want to do ANYTHING, and I was so happy that I had leftovers for every meal, because if I had to cook again, I probably would have thrown a pan at the wall. If I had the energy to, that is, haha. Think of these as our hump days. Better days are coming!! I totally agree with everyone about ditching the traditional breakfast meals. Eat whatever the heck you want, whatever won't make you hate breakfast. And you might want to try some prepare-ahead freezer meals for those nights you just can't bear to cook again. The person who ran the Whole30 Instagram feed last week gave a ton of them. I think I'm going to try to put a bunch of those together for next week. And another thing suggested by the book (that I have yet to do myself, of course, even though it's a great idea), is to figure out a few "emergency" meal options, stuff that's really easy to whip together when you're not in the mood to spend tons of time preparing a meal, and always have those ingredients at the ready. I hope this gets easier for you. You're doing great!!!

It's been a couple days since I've checked in. It just dawned on me I had It Works greens (not w30 compliant) on Tuesday. I had a major headache and couldn't think straight. I wanted chicken noodle soup and ginger ale because I felt so sick. Anyway.....so thats it for this attempt. I'll be staying compliant for the remainder of the time, but can't count this as a success. My next restart wont be until probably the end of september. This group is awesome! Keep up the great work!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Not keeping a log but I have been doing a really good job of following the menu in the Whole30 book.  Also, eating a considerable amount of good fish - had the poached salmon last night in fact.  Plus, I'm taking a really good Mercola krill oil supplement and I add MCT oil to my food, as well.  Hmmmmmmmm.

Following the menu in the book doesn't tell us portions or how your plate is composed.  Can you think back and list out what youv'e been eating for a few days including specific veggies, fruit, protien and fat... we often answer these questions from our workplaces so saying 'page xxx of the whole30 book' doesn't help us help you :)  

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Following the menu in the book doesn't tell us portions or how your plate is composed.  Can you think back and list out what youv'e been eating for a few days including specific veggies, fruit, protien and fat... we often answer these questions from our workplaces so saying 'page xxx of the whole30 book' doesn't help us help you :)  

I will do this over the next few days and let you know.  I also now am hearing from folks that this period I'm in can be the toughest, so I am hopeful I'm just at the "worst time".  The new me is coming out during the eclipse!!!

9 hours ago, invinciblechar said:

@Sara Cameron-Ragazzo Sorry to hear you're feeling discouraged/worried, but, according to the timeline, I think that's right on schedule. Days 10 and 11 are said to be the worst. I know I felt it yesterday. I didn't want to do ANYTHING, and I was so happy that I had leftovers for every meal, because if I had to cook again, I probably would have thrown a pan at the wall. If I had the energy to, that is, haha. Think of these as our hump days. Better days are coming!! I totally agree with everyone about ditching the traditional breakfast meals. Eat whatever the heck you want, whatever won't make you hate breakfast. And you might want to try some prepare-ahead freezer meals for those nights you just can't bear to cook again. The person who ran the Whole30 Instagram feed last week gave a ton of them. I think I'm going to try to put a bunch of those together for next week. And another thing suggested by the book (that I have yet to do myself, of course, even though it's a great idea), is to figure out a few "emergency" meal options, stuff that's really easy to whip together when you're not in the mood to spend tons of time preparing a meal, and always have those ingredients at the ready. I hope this gets easier for you. You're doing great!!!

So, its Day 11 and I have no energy, feel down in the dumps and just fatigued. I knew this was a possibility but, was hoping I was going to be the exception. I am still hanging tight and will not founder!! Just praying for Day 14 to arrive and be on the good slide down. I was also wondering (not to sound crude, so apologies if I am) but, is anyone going to the bathroom a lot lately. I mean #1 that is. I have been getting up at least 1-3 times a night to pee!!! I must go at least 3x more than my usual during the day at work too. I'm hoping its just all the toxins flushing out?? 

Anyone experiencing this or am I just drinking too much fluids?

Made it through day 11.  Have had an awesome breakfast last two days!  Mashed banana and two eggs mixed together and scrambled up in coconut oil. Put on 1/4 sliced green Apple, 2 tbsp almond butter, cinnamon, and coconut flakes. My new favorite and whips up in no time and is delicious!  If I'm in the mood, I add cooked spinach on the side, otherwise just up my veggies at lunch and dinner. Love it and it keeps me full until lunch!

I've also discovered I need more carbs at lunch and dinner. I'm so used to diets with no carbs. So I'm adding half a yam, or some kind of squash. 

As far as grabs, I keep frozen turkey patties on hand. I just throw one in a pan if I don't feel like or have time to cook. Add some veggies and half a yam.

I definitely need to plan better, or start cooking more big batches to carry over. I think that's the key.  Then I don't feel like I have to make it fresh every night. 

Just some little hints I've discovered that may be helpful to someone. 

Congrats to everyone who's made it through Day 11!!!

44 minutes ago, Kdog777 said:

So I'm definitely going a lot more.  Maybe not more often because I always drink a lot of water, but definitely longer each time I go. Luckily I make it through the night, but definitely have to go as soon as I wake!

I'd suggest cutting down on water intake 2 hours before bed. Your body should definitely adjust regardless, but who the heck wants to wake up that often?!

Keep up the good work. You're getting healthy!!  What's the longest you've stopped smoking before or is this it? (If you don't mind me asking)

2 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

I have been getting up at least 1-3 times a night to pee!!! I must go at least 3x more than my usual during the day at work too. I'm hoping its just all the toxins flushing out?? 

ME TOO!!! Before this, it was pretty normal for me to get up in the middle of the night to pee once, but now I have to go every 3 hours in the middle of the night like clockwork. That's gotta stop. I think I gotta cut back at night, like @Karen L said, cause home girl needs her SLEEP. I didn't think of the toxin flush explanation. I like that one. I'd rather go with that than that we're just drinking too much water. Haha. 

10 hours ago, invinciblechar said:

ME TOO!!! Before this, it was pretty normal for me to get up in the middle of the night to pee once, but now I have to go every 3 hours in the middle of the night like clockwork. That's gotta stop. I think I gotta cut back at night, like @Karen L said, cause home girl needs her SLEEP. I didn't think of the toxin flush explanation. I like that one. I'd rather go with that than that we're just drinking too much water. Haha. 

Me too!  Going more on all "fronts" (and "backs") lol.  Pretty sure we're drinking more water.  I am thirsty ALL THE TIME.  Heard that is normal too.  I also have a nice big cup of tumeric and chai tea right before bed so I know that's not helping!  

12 hours ago, Karen L said:

So I'm definitely going a lot more.  Maybe not more often because I always drink a lot of water, but definitely longer each time I go. Luckily I make it through the night, but definitely have to go as soon as I wake!

I'd suggest cutting down on water intake 2 hours before bed. Your body should definitely adjust regardless, but who the heck wants to wake up that often?!

Keep up the good work. You're getting healthy!!  What's the longest you've stopped smoking before or is this it? (If you don't mind me asking)

I've been smoking off and on since I was 17 years old unfortunately. I've quit a few times and the longest stretch was 3 years. However, when I did quit it was for different reasons. This time I truly just want to stop. So I'm hoping that this time its forever!!! But, I'm taking it one day at a time for now. 

11 hours ago, invinciblechar said:

Thank goodness!!! My mind stated playing tricks on me and I was thinking darn am I getting a UTI??? LOL!! Thanks ladies @Karen L and @invinciblechar you really made me feel better. Sometimes you get that " I feel so alone feeling". Yesterday was rough but, not horrible. This morning still feeling low energy and didn't even make breakfast. I'll just eat something that I would normally eat for lunch. Just not very hungry but, I know I shouldn't skip a meal. So darn hard to force food down though. Just hoping as I get closer to mid-way I'll get that energy back up. Has anyone started exercise in yet?? I've tried but, one, I can barely do 2 burpees right now and two my energy is too low. I'm hoping come Monday (which is my goal to start incorporating  exercise and day 15!!) I can start out slow and do at least 15 mins a day at least. I'm sure I can add more time every 3-4 days once I get in a routine?? Any helpful hints? or suggestions?

22 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

Has anyone started exercise in yet?? I've tried but, one, I can barely do 2 burpees right now and two my energy is too low. I'm hoping come Monday (which is my goal to start incorporating  exercise and day 15!!) I can start out slow and do at least 15 mins a day at least. I'm sure I can add more time every 3-4 days once I get in a routine?? Any helpful hints? or suggestions?

I actually have continued to exercise the whole time. It didn't really occur to me to stop. Haha, maybe it should have! But my gym and softball are my happy places and are also social experiences for me too, and they generally make me feel good even when everything else has been rough, so I've just kept up with both. There have been some days when I've definitely felt fatigued and run down, and, even though I still worked out on those days, I didn't care that I was lifting less or running more slowly or not doing as many reps as I normally would. But then there have been other days when I've felt amazing and lighter and fueled by good stuff during my workout. One thing to think about if you're going to be exercising is pre-workout snacks and post-workout meals. (It Starts With Food gets into this a lot.) It certainly depends on how much you'll be doing and at what intensity, but you want to make sure your body has enough (and the right) fuel to keep going. That goes for water too. Drink up! The most important thing, though, is to listen to your body and be kind to yourself. Also, this isn't the time to ramp it up big time, although it sounds like you have the right idea with starting slowly. It matters what your activity level was before Whole30. If you were a I'll-maybe-go-for-a-slow-jog-for-20-minutes-once-a-week-or-so kind of person before, then don't try to train for a race right now while your body is adjusting to its new reality. And then pee. :)

Thought for the day.  You know how it's hard to eat some days?  It's not that we're dieting, per se, just eating healthfully. Makes you wonder what's in all that other food that makes us want to keep coming back for more.  Yuck. 

I'm so glad I "overshopped" last week. Save for a few fresh items, I should have enough food to get me through this next week..  I will NOT be spending hours shopping and prepping tomorrow!  Learning to make bigger batches of stuff and freezing, so I can just add some veggies and move on. Building up a variety too..  yay. 

Day 14! Just checking in. We bought a rotisserie chicken yesterday and I asked how the store cooked it, it sounded clear. I got it home and after my husband dug into it and ate a small amount, we realized it had a brine that included turbinado sugar. He did not eat the skin and he was worried he ruined his Whole30, but I assured him he probably didn't get much sugar. Bless his heart, he's doing the Whole30 to be a support to me and he's really trying hard. I love him for it. I must say, yesterday was the first day in awhile I woke up feeling great. I've had a lot of brain fog. I think it was a sugar detox maybe. I noticed a lot are saying these are rough days for them. My worst day was day after my 40th birthday but since then I've evened out. Let's do this! :) Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

So, day 14 is coming to an end.  Today I felt like all my clothes were too tight....ugh and sigh.  I hope tomorrow is better.  I made the pork carnitas for dinner tonight and every one loved it. I did add some jalapeno to add a bit of kick too it.   There is plenty left over for freezing and for lunch tomorrow too.  

I hope everyone has a great week and remember....dont look directly at the eclipse or ya won't be able to see to post anymore!  ;):D

On 8/19/2017 at 5:48 AM, invinciblechar said:

I actually have continued to exercise the whole time. It didn't really occur to me to stop. Haha, maybe it should have! But my gym and softball are my happy places and are also social experiences for me too, and they generally make me feel good even when everything else has been rough, so I've just kept up with both. There have been some days when I've definitely felt fatigued and run down, and, even though I still worked out on those days, I didn't care that I was lifting less or running more slowly or not doing as many reps as I normally would. But then there have been other days when I've felt amazing and lighter and fueled by good stuff during my workout. One thing to think about if you're going to be exercising is pre-workout snacks and post-workout meals. (It Starts With Food gets into this a lot.) It certainly depends on how much you'll be doing and at what intensity, but you want to make sure your body has enough (and the right) fuel to keep going. That goes for water too. Drink up! The most important thing, though, is to listen to your body and be kind to yourself. Also, this isn't the time to ramp it up big time, although it sounds like you have the right idea with starting slowly. It matters what your activity level was before Whole30. If you were a I'll-maybe-go-for-a-slow-jog-for-20-minutes-once-a-week-or-so kind of person before, then don't try to train for a race right now while your body is adjusting to its new reality. And then pee. :)

Sorry, I haven't been on in the last few days. I've been on the go go go. Thank you @invinciblechar you have great input. I used to work out regularly and then something happened that consumed my life and that was that. However, I really want to get back into again. I went to Big 5 this weekend and bought some at home workout equipment for me to try and incorporate. I have a jump rope, medicine ball, kettle bell and a workout ball. I figure until I get myself back in shape 15-20 minutes 5 times a week is good and each week add another 5-10 minutes until I can reach a 45-60 minute workout 5x's a week. I've read all the books except it starts with food. What are the best recommendations for a pre-workout meal?? I NEVER ate breakfast for the last 25 years (except if we were going out which usually was for lunch but, the rare breakfast). I now can eat breakfast without feeling like puking, lol. I actually enjoy it now. I do however, need advise on pre and post-workout meals if you can help with some ideas. I don't have time to read the book in time to start the workout, lol. 

As far as how I'm doing Guys!!!! We are at day 15!!!! I didn't thing I would make it past day 11!!! The up and down moods was hard but, here we are!!! I've never been proud of myself since usually I never finish the things I start. I'm actually proud of myself for the first time in Ummmmm..... probably most my life!!! I just wish some of you lived close to me. It would be so cool to have group outings and talk about our journeys. Most of my friends, acquaintances don't understand or agree with what I'm doing. I only have my hubby (thank goodness) and 2 really good friends in my corner. But, at least I have you guys here. I'll check in again later. Congratulations to us all for making it to today. Praise Day 15!!!!!!!  

Good day all whole 30'ers. I too started in August but the 1st since it was easier for me for beginning of month rather a Monday.  I cried on day 5 for chocolate. I got cranky and then cried on how i was going to keep it up. My HOBL (hunk of burning love) just held me and let me cry it out. 

Good luck out there!!!

4 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

What are the best recommendations for a pre-workout meal??

In a nutshell, what @SugarcubeOD said. But I wanted to add a caveat about the post-workout carb part: it varies depending on your health status, the duration of the activity, and the intensity of the activity. Even though I do some intense workouts at the gym, that part is usually only about 5-20 minutes tops, while the rest is less metabolically challenging. I am also starting out from a place where I'm trying to get my health/nutrition/body composition back on track, so I leave out the carbs and just eat protein. Typically, I have 2 hard-boiled eggs and a small handful of cashews pre (about half and hour to an hour before), and a piece of chicken (meal-sized) immediately after. 

You can get a free tabata app for your phone to count out intervals of work/rest to help you get through a quick but high-intensity workout at home using the tools you just picked up and/or bodyweight (hello, burpees and jump squats!!!). Happy sweating! :)

Anyone else not yet in the 'tiger blood' stage? My husband and I are on day 15 of our first Whole30 and our energy levels are not up to where we thought they'd be at this point. Also, cravings seem to be worse now than earlier in the programme. We will stick with this and see out the 30 days but would love any encouragement on offer!

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Raeman586 said:

Anyone else not yet in the 'tiger blood' stage? My husband and I are on day 15 of our first Whole30 and our energy levels are not up to where we thought they'd be at this point. Also, cravings seem to be worse now than earlier in the programme. We will stick with this and see out the 30 days but would love any encouragement on offer!

Have you been eating within an hour of waking?  Eating three meals a day that match the template? Drinking 1/2oz of water per pound of body weight? Stop eating a few hours before bed?  If you want to list our what you've been eating to see if there's anything that we can tweak, feel free :)

Archived