August 7th Start Date

MarieC1978

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, invinciblechar said:

Also, someone may have to describe what this whole Tiger Blood thing is for me again, because I have been getting a ton of sleep and eating completely on the program, but I don't know that I necessarily feel tigerly. 

Not everyone experiences tiger blood in the same way. Some people do get that Energizer Bunny feeling -- they just keep going and going...  Other people just feel generally better -- more even moods (like, not angry in traffic, able to deal with all the little things that happen each day without snapping at kids or pets or spouse), more even energy (so you're not suddenly running marathons, but you now have energy to do the dishes before bed, or work on a favorite hobby instead of watching tv, or you finally do that decluttering you've been putting off for months). Sometimes people spend so much time waiting for the Energizer Bunny thing, that they miss how much they have improved, so definitely try to remember to compare yourself pre-Whole30 with yourself now, don't compare other people's tiger blood with yourself now.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

Not everyone experiences tiger blood in the same way. Sometimes people spend so much time waiting for the Energizer Bunny thing, that they miss how much they have improved, so definitely try to remember to compare yourself pre-Whole30 with yourself now.

Yay.  Good advice.  Thank you.  I kept feeling like I'm doing something wrong!  

On 8/23/2017 at 9:37 AM, racheleats said:

Ohhhhh try roasting the veggies next time!! It seriously changes the flavor and texture so much. Just do a quick google search for each veggie type for the temp/time for cooking, but usually I just use olive oil salt and pepper and just keep an eye on them until they're the color I want. So easy!

So I searched to find out about roasting.  I think I had been trying to roast some veggies, but I never wait long enough!  I had a recipe for roasted butternut squash, but it just came out mushy and gross.  The article I found said it may take up to 60 minutes (for some veggies, like squash).  I'm excited to try this new world of roasting :) 

38 minutes ago, invinciblechar said:

HI'm too far into the program to quit now, despite what all my dreams say! (Another one last night.) 

At least you get to "enjoy" in your dreams! haha.  But I guess there's still the guilt.  Maybe I'll dream about a glass of red wine tonight.  I hadn't been craving wine until this week.  I guess all the temptations are just flitting their way through my imagination.. "don't forget about us".. 

I am able to resist them though now which is a huge plus!  I told my daughter I couldn't buy oreos for the house, because I'd bee too tempted.  Now, it's a temptation I could resist (yuck.. all that fake butter and fake flavorings).  The fudge is a little harder, but possible.  Probably why I had the two Larabars.  

58 minutes ago, Karen L said:

So I searched to find out about roasting.  I think I had been trying to roast some veggies, but I never wait long enough!  I had a recipe for roasted butternut squash, but it just came out mushy and gross.  The article I found said it may take up to 60 minutes (for some veggies, like squash).  I'm excited to try this new world of roasting :) 

YESSS the key is keeping them in there long enough that they start to brown/crisp up. That's what I love about roasting as a method of cooking. Besides getting everything seasoned and onto the pan, it's pretty hands off. I throw a couple pans in the oven and then do the dishes, clean up a little, watch some TV while they're cooking away! Just don't forget to set a timer you'll actually hear. I've lost some good brussels sprouts over the years ;) 

31 minutes ago, invinciblechar said:

Have any of you tried the butternut squash soup recipe from the Whole30 book yet? It's amazing! I like it so much better this way than eating the squash cubed. And it's not hard to make. 

Not quite in soup mood yet.  It looks good though!  Went through a lot of "breakfasts without eggs" recipes and got a couple. 

Anyone else thinking reintroduction yet?  I think I'm leaning towards the "slow" reintroduction route.  Dying to know how much weight I've lost, but I don't think it's THAT much.  Maybe?  Some pants fit, others still don't.. and my stomach isn't magically flat yet..lol.   I don't really have any cravings (except of course that glass of red wine), so i don't think I'm in a hurry to jump off.  May even be getting the hang of cooking in batches?  Hmm...I may be able to get used to this!

Hi all! I took my kids to a birthday party this eve and wow the cravings were strong but I was good and ate some watermelon. @Karen L I've begun thinking about reintroduction. I can't believe it's almost been 3 weeks already! Also, no tiger's blood here either. If anything, I've been losing energy and getting brain fog a lot. I've begun wondering if I'm missing a nutrient. I do love my clothes fitting better though. I'm not giving up!

Hi all :)

I wrote a post on Day 9 and can not see it didn't post! hope everyone is doing well :)

I made a few mistakes (balsamic with added sulphites and peanut nakd bar accidents oops!) and overate avocado/ cashew nuts - compliant but not in the Whole30 spirit.

However I kept going as this is my first Whole30 and those are valuable lessons.

Reintroduction will be a challenge for me this time, as I go on holiday on day 31 !! However I am going to make an effort and take my whole30 book on hols!

Plus I have agreed a start date of September 15th for my second Whole30, to get straight back into it after my holiday!!

I am learning so much and that infographic shared here has been invaluable. thank you :)

On 8/23/2017 at 0:00 PM, Karen L said:

That's great to hear!  Just curious.. do you cook every day, or meal prep?  This third weekend of prep was definitely easier, because some things existed in my house and fridge already, but I still don't love cooking.  Well, I do when I have the time, but I don't like having to cook with limited time.  It's stressful.  I wish there were more grab & go choices.  Or frozen dinners that didn't have so much junk in them.  Even the healthy eats (before you put sauce on) coats their chicken in soy. 

23 hours ago, invinciblechar said:

Holy temptations, batman!!! Well done resisting all of that!!! Fudge!! Oh man, that's hard. I had to resist bloody mary's, margaritas, beer, eggplant parm, baked ziti, brownies, AND my favorite girl scout cookies last Sunday at my softball game. I was totally fine with passing up all of it until I saw the Tagalong's. Then I longed for their peanut buttery chocolately goodness for a few minutes. And then it passed, because I'm too far into the program to quit now, despite what all my dreams say! (Another one last night.) 

Also, someone may have to describe what this whole Tiger Blood thing is for me again, because I have been getting a ton of sleep and eating completely on the program, but I don't know that I necessarily feel tigerly. 

Day 20!!! I'm still so proud of myself so far. I'll be honest though starting to feel let down though. I haven't felt the "tiger blood" thing at all. I am getting better sleep that is for sure. But, the energy is still not better or the feeling people say they got. I still get the 3pm slumps too. I'm trying to be patient as I still have 10 more days to go and then the whole reintroduction part but, still a bit sad that I'm not having the result I've read so much about. I've followed the program to a tee, no cheats either. I love the program too and I plan to continue to eat this healthy with of course some reintroductions on occasion. 

I also got discouraged as my husband is diabetic (type 2) no insulin injections just a pill. The week prior to me starting the program (I did bloodwork) and my dr told me I was pre-diabetic too. (I never eat sugar so that was upsetting to know that I was pre-diabetic). So this morning when my husband checked his sugar I decided to check mine too. I mean there wasn't a rule (except the scale) that I couldn't do that. Mine was 93!!! That's high especially when I hadn't eaten for 7-8 hours. I thought the Whole30 helped turn these conditions around for people or at least make them better. So I think that is what freaked me out. I'm not giving up though. I will continue to dig my feet in and finish my Whole30 and then maybe start another one in a couple of months (after my trip to Punta Cana in October). I have another bloodworm request for after I completed the Whole30 to see if any of my levels have changed for the better too. Fingers crossed. My Dr. said to do another test after I completed the program. 

Is anyone else having the same issues or concerns? Could use some words of encouragement and needed advice.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

Day 20!!! I'm still so proud of myself so far. I'll be honest though starting to feel let down though. I haven't felt the "tiger blood" thing at all. I am getting better sleep that is for sure. But, the energy is still not better or the feeling people say they got. I still get the 3pm slumps too. I'm trying to be patient as I still have 10 more days to go and then the whole reintroduction part but, still a bit sad that I'm not having the result I've read so much about. I've followed the program to a tee, no cheats either. I love the program too and I plan to continue to eat this healthy with of course some reintroductions on occasion. 

I also got discouraged as my husband is diabetic (type 2) no insulin injections just a pill. The week prior to me starting the program (I did bloodwork) and my dr told me I was pre-diabetic too. (I never eat sugar so that was upsetting to know that I was pre-diabetic). So this morning when my husband checked his sugar I decided to check mine too. I mean there wasn't a rule (except the scale) that I couldn't do that. Mine was 93!!! That's high especially when I hadn't eaten for 7-8 hours. I thought the Whole30 helped turn these conditions around for people or at least make them better. So I think that is what freaked me out. I'm not giving up though. I will continue to dig my feet in and finish my Whole30 and then maybe start another one in a couple of months (after my trip to Punta Cana in October). I have another bloodworm request for after I completed the Whole30 to see if any of my levels have changed for the better too. Fingers crossed. My Dr. said to do another test after I completed the program. 

Is anyone else having the same issues or concerns? Could use some words of encouragement and needed advice.

Are you keeping a log somewhere that we can look at?  Maybe there's some tweaks that we can do to kick things up a notch?  If no log, please feel free to list out a few days of what you've been eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, fruit, fat and protein, any workouts and associated workout meals... a 3pm slump tells me something could probaby be adjusted if that's still going on at Day 20.  As far as the blood sugar, yes, the whole30 has been known to help people improve their numbers... you don't say what the  number was previously so maybe 93 IS an improvement?  Or your body is still healing... things don't change overnight and 20 days in the big picture is definitely overnight.  Lets get some info on what you've been eating and see if we can't help you :)

2 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

Hi there. I'm mostly doing this to jump start weight loss and don't luckily have any other health issues. I would say, though, not to get discouraged. Sometimes our bodies take awhile to catch up. Three days ago, for instance, I tried on a pair of pants that were still too tight. Today they're a little too big!  So I know I didn't change my eating these past three days, but what I've been doing finally caught up. 

I'd wait the 30, have your doctor do the blood work, and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised. 

6 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

I also got discouraged as my husband is diabetic (type 2) no insulin injections just a pill. The week prior to me starting the program (I did bloodwork) and my dr told me I was pre-diabetic too. (I never eat sugar so that was upsetting to know that I was pre-diabetic). So this morning when my husband checked his sugar I decided to check mine too. I mean there wasn't a rule (except the scale) that I couldn't do that. Mine was 93!!! That's high especially when I hadn't eaten for 7-8 hours. I thought the Whole30 helped turn these conditions around for people or at least make them better. 

The only thing I will say about this is that the use of the finger-prick test at home, while a good gauge, especially for insulin-dependent diabetics, is highly dependent on so many things. The field is starting to move toward continuous glucose monitoring for a better over time measure to capture more of the bigger picture. (I just attended a conference including the biggest names in diabetes research, regulation, and pharmaceuticals in the world, and they pretty much agreed on this, even though the regulations haven't caught up to this consensus yet.) So I wouldn't stress too much at this point. It should take awhile for things to regulate, but, if you're following the plan, there's no doubt you're on your way to better regulation of blood sugar. Definitely take @SugarcubeOD up on her offer to trouble shoot for you!! I mean, you can have an expert look at exactly what might help you on the best path to achieve what you want out of this. How amazing is that?! 

That's absolutely one of the things I'm hoping Whole30 can do for me too, because type 2 diabetes is on both sides of my family, and my own blood sugar was a bit high the last time it was tested back in the beginning of the summer. I think we're in the right place, doing what we need to do to be healthier. Hang in there!

20 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Are you keeping a log somewhere that we can look at?  Maybe there's some tweaks that we can do to kick things up a notch?  If no log, please feel free to list out a few days of what you've been eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, fruit, fat and protein, any workouts and associated workout meals... a 3pm slump tells me something could probaby be adjusted if that's still going on at Day 20.  As far as the blood sugar, yes, the whole30 has been known to help people improve their numbers... you don't say what the  number was previously so maybe 93 IS an improvement?  Or your body is still healing... things don't change overnight and 20 days in the big picture is definitely overnight.  Lets get some info on what you've been eating and see if we can't help you :)

Thank you @SugarcubeOD. You were right my glucose number was 109 so yes 93 was an improvement. Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping a log but I can tell you what my normal 5 day meal plan for last week was. Monday-Friday is the easiest to remember as its my work week and I tended to eat the same thing last week for lunch especially. I have a cup of coffee (sometimes 2) with my nutted creamer, eggs with bacon or just eggs for breakfast. For lunch it was salads all week as that is what I love, with either, chicken or salmon as my protein. For dinners it was sloppy joes in a baked potato (only half as too much food); baked chicken with homemade pico de gallo and brussel sprouts; pork chop with chopped potatoes and cauliflower; and last was stuffed red pepper with cauliflower rice and sauce.

I'm not giving up and definitely have noticed some changes like sleeping better, less tension headaches and stuff. I was just feeling a bit down that I didn't feel the tiger blood yet. I love this program and intend to continue as I do believe in it. You definitely put things in perspective for me. Maybe my body needs to heal more. I was a smoker for over 15 years of my life so I probably have a lot more to detoxify. :huh:

20 hours ago, Karen L said:

Hi there. I'm mostly doing this to jump start weight loss and don't luckily have any other health issues. I would say, though, not to get discouraged. Sometimes our bodies take awhile to catch up. Three days ago, for instance, I tried on a pair of pants that were still too tight. Today they're a little too big!  So I know I didn't change my eating these past three days, but what I've been doing finally caught up. 

I'd wait the 30, have your doctor do the blood work, and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised. 

Thank you @Karen L. I'm definitely not giving up. And honestly, I think I'll be eating this way permanently. I love the food I'll just tweak things a bit to introduce some things like CHEESE!! I do so miss it, lol. I'll just make it a whole lot less of it. :D

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

Thank you @SugarcubeOD. You were right my glucose number was 109 so yes 93 was an improvement. Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping a log but I can tell you what my normal 5 day meal plan for last week was. Monday-Friday is the easiest to remember as its my work week and I tended to eat the same thing last week for lunch especially. I have a cup of coffee (sometimes 2) with my nutted creamer, eggs with bacon or just eggs for breakfast. For lunch it was salads all week as that is what I love, with either, chicken or salmon as my protein. For dinners it was sloppy joes in a baked potato (only half as too much food); baked chicken with homemade pico de gallo and brussel sprouts; pork chop with chopped potatoes and cauliflower; and last was stuffed red pepper with cauliflower rice and sauce.

I'm not giving up and definitely have noticed some changes like sleeping better, less tension headaches and stuff. I was just feeling a bit down that I didn't feel the tiger blood yet. I love this program and intend to continue as I do believe in it. You definitely put things in perspective for me. Maybe my body needs to heal more. I was a smoker for over 15 years of my life so I probably have a lot more to detoxify. :huh:

Okeedokee!  First, yay on reducing the number by over 15 points!  That's nothing to sneeze at!  

Second, I think you need to take another look at the template (it's linked in my signature below).  Every meal should be made to match the template, so eggs is not breakfast.  Eggs with a bit of leftover pulled pork, over a plate of sauteed coleslaw mix and some panfried mushrooms and half an avocado is breakfast.  If you have trouble eating breakfast, save the coffee for after breakfast as it's an appetite suppresant.

Salads are fine for lunch but unless they have a copious amount of hearty veggies in them, the amount of greens that most people consider a salad end up chewing down to nothinig.  Also, I assume there was dressing of some sort?

Your dinners don't list any fat.  Sloppy joes are fun and tasty but you need to eat a LOT of the sloppy joe mix to get at least a palms worth of just the meat.

I think you're on the right track, I would just really encourage you to make a better composed breakfast, ensure you have the fat at all meals and make those lunch salads massive (which fyi, might actually turn around to bite you because that much raw greens and veggies can be digestively upsetting so you may need to alternate with something else for lunch).

Are you drinking 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight and salting your food?

And finally, congratulations on being a non-smoker!  That's amazing!  Congratulations, I"m very proud of you, that's a huge accomplishment!

Day 20! I went to a friends birthday party yesterday... and only had one small bite of cake. I was good for the rest. I slept on it, and decided that I am not starting over because I am too close. I think I'm going to keep going on this program anyway, like maybe a whole 45 or something. People are starting to notice that "I've lost weight" or that " my belly doesn't fill out my shirt as much" hahaha! I'm not sure what the tiger blood feeling is, but I am sleeping better and my sugar cravings are not around anymore, except when I want to bake... or there is cake.... so that is good! This whole30 thing is not for the faint hearted... or those who want to bake as a hobby!! Whew!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, PenguinSews said:

Day 20! I went to a friends birthday party yesterday... and only had one small bite of cake. I was good for the rest. I slept on it, and decided that I am not starting over because I am too close. I think I'm going to keep going on this program anyway, like maybe a whole 45 or something. People are starting to notice that "I've lost weight" or that " my belly doesn't fill out my shirt as much" hahaha! I'm not sure what the tiger blood feeling is, but I am sleeping better and my sugar cravings are not around anymore, except when I want to bake... or there is cake.... so that is good! This whole30 thing is not for the faint hearted... or those who want to bake as a hobby!! Whew!

You may want to read the Do I have to Start Over article linked in my signature.  It is your choice what you do, just as it was your choice to eat cake on Day 20, however I would encourage you with an open mind and heart to really consider why you had to have a bite of cake... Were you pressured into it and didn't know how to say no?  You made a commitment to yourself to go for 30 full days and you WERE so close to finishing... I really encourage you to look at this situation and figure out why it happened and really assess the situtuation because you are worth SO MUCH MORE than a bite of cake!

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Okeedokee!  First, yay on reducing the number by over 15 points!  That's nothing to sneeze at!  

Second, I think you need to take another look at the template (it's linked in my signature below).  Every meal should be made to match the template, so eggs is not breakfast.  Eggs with a bit of leftover pulled pork, over a plate of sauteed coleslaw mix and some panfried mushrooms and half an avocado is breakfast.  If you have trouble eating breakfast, save the coffee for after breakfast as it's an appetite suppresant.

Salads are fine for lunch but unless they have a copious amount of hearty veggies in them, the amount of greens that most people consider a salad end up chewing down to nothinig.  Also, I assume there was dressing of some sort?

Your dinners don't list any fat.  Sloppy joes are fun and tasty but you need to eat a LOT of the sloppy joe mix to get at least a palms worth of just the meat.

I think you're on the right track, I would just really encourage you to make a better composed breakfast, ensure you have the fat at all meals and make those lunch salads massive (which fyi, might actually turn around to bite you because that much raw greens and veggies can be digestively upsetting so you may need to alternate with something else for lunch).

Are you drinking 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight and salting your food?

And finally, congratulations on being a non-smoker!  That's amazing!  Congratulations, I"m very proud of you, that's a huge accomplishment!

Ok, I got it. My breakfast needs to be larger. I do eat eggs, bacon always avocado and sliced tomatoes. Do I need more? My salads have all sorts of raw veggies as I've always been a huge vegetable person. It has avocado but, maybe too much? I usually use a whole one in my salads. I use olive oil and balsamic as my dressing. I drink ALOT, lol of water. I will change it up and add more. Thank you so much. Maybe this is why its going slow for me.

20 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Ok, How was this for breakfast? I had a hard boiled egg (didn't have time to make my normal hot eggs), a medium chicken breast, spaghetti squash, broccoli, bacon with coconut milk casserole (heaping handful), pico de gallo for my chicken,  some kalamata olives and 2 plaintain slices. I also made my own homemade mayo yesterday!! It came out fantastic. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I was scared to try it this whole time and it was a breeze. I'll never buy mayo again. 

I found some whole30 approved lunch meat at whole foods so excited. I'm going to have a turkey sandwich (minus the bread) with mayo, lettuce, tomato and avocado for lunch. With a salad as my side. 

Let me know if this is better?

4 minutes ago, Kdog777 said:

Ok, How was this for breakfast? I had a hard boiled egg (didn't have time to make my normal hot eggs), a medium chicken breast, spaghetti squash, broccoli, bacon with coconut milk casserole (heaping handful), pico de gallo for my chicken,  some kalamata olives and 2 plaintain slices. I also made my own homemade mayo yesterday!! It came out fantastic. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I was scared to try it this whole time and it was a breeze. I'll never buy mayo again. 

I found some whole30 approved lunch meat at whole foods so excited. I'm going to have a turkey sandwich (minus the bread) with mayo, lettuce, tomato and avocado for lunch. With a salad as my side. 

Let me know if this is better?

Well, I can't speak to whether this is "better" or not, but my mouth is watering just reading!!!  Also, THANKS for the news on the W30 compliant turkey meats.  I have stayed away from almost anything in a package during these 22 days so didn't realize this was out there.  Do you know the brand? I think I am going to keep going on this indefinitely and I know it will help to have a quasi-sandwich option.  I LOVE butter lettuce and it makes great "bread" - just need the interior!

We're doing this!!!!  Proud of your journey and all the thoughts you've shared with us along the way!!

18 minutes ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Well, I can't speak to whether this is "better" or not, but my mouth is watering just reading!!!  Also, THANKS for the news on the W30 compliant turkey meats.  I have stayed away from almost anything in a package during these 22 days so didn't realize this was out there.  Do you know the brand? I think I am going to keep going on this indefinitely and I know it will help to have a quasi-sandwich option.  I LOVE butter lettuce and it makes great "bread" - just need the interior!

We're doing this!!!!  Proud of your journey and all the thoughts you've shared with us along the way!!

LOL thanks @Sara Cameron-Ragazzo. I found it at whole foods. I like them as they display the ingredients in the deli area. And will let you read them directly off the product if you still want more clarity too. This is plain ol' turkey and it takes great!! The ingredients are Turkey breast, black pepper and salt!!! Heck yeah!! I'm looking at my package and unfortunately it doesn't have the name brand on it. Just says Roasted Turkey breast from Whole Foods. Ugh! Sorry. 

I too am planning on doing this permanently. I may have my little splurges but, I enjoy this way of eating and have learned so much so far. I can't believe how much "crap" is in some of the foods I would eat thinking "this is healthy". And the biggest thing is how much "sneaky" sugars are in foods. Its crazy!

1 minute ago, Kdog777 said:

I too am planning on doing this permanently. I may have my little splurges but, I enjoy this way of eating and have learned so much so far. I can't believe how much "crap" is in some of the foods I would eat thinking "this is healthy". And the biggest thing is how much "sneaky" sugars are in foods. Its crazy!

Thanks for the info - I'm headed there after work!  And, yes, my husband and I have become "those people" who now treat food as nutrition and medicine (in a good way).  So blessed to have found this plan and knowledge.

Just now, Kdog777 said:

Me, too!  We should definitely all keep in touch for check-ins.

I had my brother & mom over for dinner yesterday- made cauliflower rice (my kids even ate it!), thai meatballs, and sweet potato/applesauce.  Everyone loved it!  My mom asked how long I was going to be doing this "diet", and why can't I choose a diet without weird food.  I laughed and I told her I was!  (and that it's a lifestyle, not a diet).  

Sorry @Sara Cameron-Ragazzo. I wanted to say Congrats! as well, We have gone this far and still going strong! I'm not going to be disappointed anymore either. I have had some changes that I have noticed and feel. I may not have the "tiger blood" yet but, I know I will. I didn't do this to lose weight, I did it to get healthier. Hoping losing some weight will eventually happen. I can and will be patient for all of that. But, once it hits I'll be blowing it up here, lol. I'm proud of both of us. We are in it to win it!! And everyone else here we are almost there!! Day 22!!! 

Archived