August 7th Start Date

MarieC1978

7 minutes ago, Karen L said:

I know what they cook in is really important (eggs).  Also, some restaurants add pancake batter to their eggs. (gross).  Not sure what else - I guess you'd have to be careful about sausage or bacon, also.  I'd suggest sticking to eggs and veggies, with a side of fruit.  

Here's an idea that I'm planning to do that grew out of someone's suggestion on this thread . . . call the restaurant ahead of time and tell them you have "serious food allergies" and ask questions about how they are prepping their food items.  I found (in a prior clean eating program I did) that restaurants will tell you that they grill their chicken, for example, in olive oil, when, in fact, it's olive oil or margarine, or safflower oil, etc., etc..  The food allergy thing tends to cut through that generalization. Ask them how flexible their kitchen is to prepare something differently if you are there for a special occasion. No restaurant wants a case of "serious food allergy reaction" in their dining room - lol! And, it's more considerate of them to call ahead versus trying to work with the waiter who is likely in a hurry and trying to accommodate multiple tables.  You can take them completely out of the transaction by handling it for them ahead of time and then tell them you've spoken with the manager and they agreed to cook your chicken, steak, egg, whatever in pure olive oil.

It takes some work and persuasion but it's doable.  And, in my opinion, if a restaurant isn't in a position to be flexible (in that case of "serious food allergies"), then maybe that's not where I need to go.  Doesn't make them bad.  Just means it's not a good fit.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Here's an idea that I'm planning to do that grew out of someone's suggestion on this thread . . . call the restaurant ahead of time and tell them you have "serious food allergies" and ask questions about how they are prepping their food items.

Yes! Good idea! I will totally try that. Thank you!

I'm glad you asked about brunch/eating out, because I'm already sorta freaking out about the end of the month.  My mom, kids, and I will be going up to St. Paul for four days, partially for my daughter's doctor's appointment, but also for a bit of a vacay of sorts.  I can handle the drive up and back....I know to pack snacks and I know what I can get at gas stations.  But what to do while we're actually there and for meals is harder.  There's not going to be much of an opportunity to plan ahead/call ahead; we usually pick where to eat on a whim.  I'm not afraid to ask for what I want at a restaurant, but, I won't lie, I'm a little nervous about what my mom is going to say/think.  Which I know is stupid...I'm a grown woman and I shouldn't be worried about appeasing my mother, anymore.  It's just easier said than done, I guess.

In any event, I'll be eagerly reading the suggestions!

1 hour ago, invinciblechar said:

I'm planning on going to brunch with friends next weekend, and I'm already freaking out about it. I'm so nervous that I'm accidentally going to eat something off plan. I have been researching possible restaurants and I think I may have found a good one, but what types of questions do people typically ask the restaurant before going to ensure that there are no "oops!" surprises while dining out?

If it's a menu brunch, they will likely have salads you can choose and poached eggs should be safe (? Still ask). If it's a buffet brunch, you may still be able to order off the menu or you may hit the jackpot with a carved prime rib and some veggies!  Beware the carved ham though (sugar).  Since my celiac diagnosis 3 years ago, I've had to work on adjusting my mindset re social gatherings. "It's not about the food" is my mantra when my meal is often quite plain compared to my companions or, sometimes, I can't eat at all.  For questions, oils used for cooking is important and ingredients, of course, for things like salad dressings and marinade. For requests, "plain" is a go-to.  Do call ahead and identify your choice if you're uncomfortable with being "that person" but don't be afraid to do what you need to maintain your health and goals!

1 hour ago, SweetEnough said:

@MarieC1978, thank you so much, this post makes me smile. Isn't it funny how sad it can make us feel when someone takes a sip of their coffee and then goes "mmmmmmmmmmm" ... haha! I love that you have this agreement with him to keep quiet. I also love that he's supporting you through your 30 days in his modified way. There really is strength in numbers!

Have you tried the "whole30 compliant" Nutpods with your coffee?  I love my coffee and these make it much better than just black coffee??  You can order on amazon (a 3 pack variety) for a decent cost.

@amandamay83 see my reply one back to @invinciblechar. Re your mom, I understand your anxiety. My regular friends are used to me but with new companions or friends I haven't seen in years I still kind of dread it at times. Salads, steamed veggies, and plain grilled fish/meat are your friends if you don't want to ask a lot of questions. Would it help to explain your eating plan/motives to your mom ahead of time?  What concerns you about her possible reactions?  E.g. Are you afraid she'll make fun of you, or be angry?

11 minutes ago, ItsAboutTime said:

Have you tried the "whole30 compliant" Nutpods with your coffee?  I love my coffee and these make it much better than just black coffee??  You can order on amazon (a 3 pack variety) for a decent cost.

I have, and I absolutely LOVE the hazelnut flavor! GOD BLESS NUT PODS!

I am in crawling tired phase combined with kill all the things - yay!  Question for mods or whoever has an answer:  I consistently find myself exhausted but sleeping poorly at the start of whole30 with the sleeping poorly part continuing. The great sleep part is elusive for me. I know about starchy veg wit the last meal  and I feel confident with my template meals. I'm just curious about what goes on physiologically to cause this phenomenon for me. I sleep "ok" (not perfectly) normally, and I eat by the template most of the time, tending off track in July and December (thus the resets).  I've done enough 30's to recognize a consistent decrease in sleep quality - so puzzling!

46 minutes ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Here's an idea that I'm planning to do that grew out of someone's suggestion on this thread . . . call the restaurant ahead of time and tell them you have "serious food allergies" and ask questions about how they are prepping their food items.

I think there's something in the book about claiming food allergies when you don't actually have them. There's also a post about it.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Hey Guys! I want to comment more but I just don't have time...  but I just wanted to check in for accountability. I made it through day 4! I am at a conference this weekend as well and I'll keep you all posted!

So thankful for you all! 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

I would really, really discourage you from doing this. For a number of reasons. First, you're basically lying which doesn't feel good right from the start. And is it really worth lying over? Second, although we are used to a nameless/faceless culture with all of our electronic interventions, what you're actually doing is making an enormous amount of unnecessary work for people that are probably being paid minimum wage. 

Serious food allergies can be extremely serious. Hours and days of gut-wrenching pain, hospitalization, compromised immune systems, flare ups of autoimmune conditions etc, not to mention anyaphylaxis and potential death. In the case of these situations, the patron absolutely should discuss this with the restaurant and they already know this sort of thing happens to them. Chances are that there are major protocols in place within the staff to ensure that the person doesn't get basically poisoned. 

You are doing a voluntary food elimination protocol to assess food sensitivities. Yes, it would suck a lot if you accidentally ate a non-compliant item. But unless you already know you'll be in days of pain or on the toilet so many days that you risk dehydration, lying to a minimum wage food server/cook is really just disrespectful.

Edited to add: I don't mean to say at all that you should not be diligent about asking preparation questions, calling ahead, getting the answers you want. You should definitely do these things because your personal choice not to consume certain items is completely valid and should be respected. Many times I have asked for gluten free bun (not Whole30, obv) or "no toast" or "omelette no cheese" and the wait staff asks "is it an allergy or a preference" and I always answer that it's a preference. 100% of the time the waitresses have commented on appreciation for transparency because while the kitchen staff will respect the request, they are so glad not to have to shut down operations in order to not kill me.

You and your needs are important and they should be respected. You should not lie about serious health conditions in order to make those requests.

1 hour ago, anchorageali said:

@amandamay83 see my reply one back to @invinciblechar. Re your mom, I understand your anxiety. My regular friends are used to me but with new companions or friends I haven't seen in years I still kind of dread it at times. Salads, steamed veggies, and plain grilled fish/meat are your friends if you don't want to ask a lot of questions. Would it help to explain your eating plan/motives to your mom ahead of time?  What concerns you about her possible reactions?  E.g. Are you afraid she'll make fun of you, or be angry?

@anchorageali (let's see if I managed to tag someone correctly)... I am already thinking along that line, that meat and veggies are generally safe, so I'll be sticking with those things as much as possible.

As far as why I'm concerned about my mom's reaction... that's harder to articulate.  She won't be angry.  And she won't outright make fun of me, but she has a tendency to make vaguely passive aggressive comments.  Example:  last year, I worked hard and lost 70 lbs.  Now she will stay stuff like, "This looks good, but I don't suppose it's on your diet."  Mind, you I didn't lose weight by following a specific diet...I just ate less and better and started running.  So that sort of thing really rubs me wrong. But it would make me really uncomfortable to tell her that, so I just try to ignore it.  

The only thing that might really raise her eyebrows is me skipping cheese (I love cheese!).  But that I can probably explain simply, and honestly, enough:  I've been breaking out like a teenager and a friend suggested it might be dairy, so I'm trying to cut that out for a month and see what happens.  It's simple and truthful, without going into the entire W30, which I think get more of a rise out of her.  

Interestingly, I think she might be more supportive of the W30 idea if I did still need to lose weight.  But now she would likely see it as stupid (at best) or disordered (at worst) that I would do something like this without needing to lose weight.

Isn't it funny how something as small as this, something that really should affect anyone but me, brings out all sorts of underlying issues with friends and family!

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, amandamay83 said:

Isn't it funny how something as small as this, something that really should affect anyone but me, brings out all sorts of underlying issues with friends and family!

Often we put our own insecurities and lack of confidence on other people. I'm not saying that this is you, but it is extremely common to project ahead on how a person might react. My naturopath always tells me to remind myself that when you are advance predicting another person's response you will often end up projecting their response on to them. What I mean is, when you assume that she is going to be passive aggressive, your brain already assumes that is true so you may answer questions or embody an attitude that actually does bring that result about. Or you read into whatever she does say or do as passive aggressive because that's the result you're expecting/looking for.

Sure, your mom might be weird about it. But she might not be.  

• Moderators
On 8/10/2017 at 6:25 AM, amandamay83 said:

I suppose I should have asked before clicking, but it's too late now...

Anyone else doing (or have done) the daily email subscription? Yesterday was my Day 1, which I flunked. So at the end, where you click "success!" or "start over," I was honest and clicked "start over." I guess I expected to get the Day 1 email again today, which I did not. Did I jack up my subscription and now I have to pay another $15? Or does it just not resend emails and I'll get Day 2 tomorrow?

I'm not sure if someone answered this, but you should have gotten the day 1 email again, I think. Email [email protected] and yell them what happened and they should be able to straighten it out.

Okay All... Day 5 has started and I am in the "Kill All The Things" stage for sure.  Woke up to a small headache after a night of okay slumber.  Made my black coffee, took one sip, and dumped it down the drain.  I think it's because I saw my little Starbucks logo on the outside and that triggered my WANT for some sugary, creamy coffee.  I was actually mad at a cup!! 

So...I poured another cup of black coffee and I am drinking it slowly and quietly while I work.  I feel like today is going to be stressful, so I am trying to relax into it so I don't project that negative attitude all day.  It is taking a toll on my mental stability to get into the right mindset!  :lol:

On the upside, my husband said he would give me a shoulder massage after we both are done with work!  :D  He also said he wasn't coming around me ALL day because I am just "not nice to be around right now."  While that might offend some, I am thankful he listened when I told him to just leave me alone because it isn't him - it's me!  I feel like W30 is bringing us closer together as we are working as a team and supporting each others goals.  He wants to lose weight and I want to get control of my gastroparesis (and lose weight). 

Hopefully, nothing dies today!

38 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

You and your needs are important and they should be respected. You should not lie about serious health conditions in order to make those requests.

Absolutely agree with this and second the motion to be clear that it's a preference. Having an autoimmune disorder, I find myself these days stressing to the wait staff that I'm "for real" as so many seem to claim serious conditions when preference is reality.  Once I told a server that I have celiac disease and she rolled her eyes and said "you and the last 90 people that have been in here". Often my meal will come a little later with the sever explaining the extra time is due to their special preparation requirements.  

Anyone being corrected on this front, please don't feel criticized. Your zealousness is admirable and I'm sure you were unaware of the bigger picture!

42 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

I would really, really discourage you from doing this. For a number of reasons. First, you're basically lying which doesn't feel good right from the start. And is it really worth lying over? Second, although we are used to a nameless/faceless culture with all of our electronic interventions, what you're actually doing is making an enormous amount of unnecessary work for people that are probably being paid minimum wage. 

Serious food allergies can be extremely serious. Hours and days of gut-wrenching pain, hospitalization, compromised immune systems, flare ups of autoimmune conditions etc, not to mention anyaphylaxis and potential death. In the case of these situations, the patron absolutely should discuss this with the restaurant and they already know this sort of thing happens to them. Chances are that there are major protocols in place within the staff to ensure that the person doesn't get basically poisoned. 

You are doing a voluntary food elimination protocol to assess food sensitivities. Yes, it would suck a lot if you accidentally ate a non-compliant item. But unless you already know you'll be in days of pain or on the toilet so many days that you risk dehydration, lying to a minimum wage food server/cook is really just disrespectful.

Edited to add: I don't mean to say at all that you should not be diligent about asking preparation questions, calling ahead, getting the answers you want. You should definitely do these things because your personal choice not to consume certain items is completely valid and should be respected. Many times I have asked for gluten free bun (not Whole30, obv) or "no toast" or "omelette no cheese" and the wait staff asks "is it an allergy or a preference" and I always answer that it's a preference. 100% of the time the waitresses have commented on appreciation for transparency because while the kitchen staff will respect the request, they are so glad not to have to shut down operations in order to not kill me.

I got the message everyone.  Wasn't meant to offend or hurt others with allergies.  

14 minutes ago, MarieC1978 said:

I was actually mad at a cup!! 

Omg!  I feel you - I had a plate slip out of the fridge to the floor a few minutes ago and actually called it (loudly) the F-word!! Had to apologize to my dogs who appeared to be wondering if they did something wrong.  The plate didn't even break!  I'm also feeling grateful that I love black coffee! 

@Brensuma Thank you so much for the link to the other post!! So helpful! @ladyshanny @anchorageali @amandamay83 I really appreciate the bigger-picture perspectives. I've been very lucky to never have suffered from any food allergies (knock on wood!), and I've never worked in food service, so I didn't realize what goes on behind the scenes when a customer comes in with food allergies. When I read what you were all saying, it did start to sound vaguely familiar from one of the books, but my memory is so crappy that I kind of forgot about it, and even if I had remembered, I wouldn't have known where to find it again quickly. And @Sara Cameron-Ragazzo...while I can't speak for everyone, just from reading the other posts, I would venture a guess that no one here was offended by your suggestion, and I appreciate you reaching out to answer my question! But I think we all have to keep in mind that, since this is in general a newbie post thread, occasionally, our own ideas on the topic won't be quite on point on the first try. That's why it's great to have moderators like @ladyshanny reading and steering us on the right path. We're all trying and doing our best here! So I will definitely call that restaurant (which will be a fancy schmancy gluten-free place in Manhattan, so definitely no buffets and I don't think there were any plain old eggs on the menu either; think more like beet and chickpea "burgers," so it'll be an interesting phone call) ahead of the time, and I will definitely say that I have dietary constraints and NOT that I have serious food allergies. Point well taken! I love learning. Keep it coming, guys! 

3 minutes ago, invinciblechar said:

@Brensuma Thank you so much for the link to the other post!! So helpful! @ladyshanny @anchorageali @amandamay83 I really appreciate the bigger-picture perspectives. I've been very lucky to never have suffered from any food allergies (knock on wood!), and I've never worked in food service, so I didn't realize what goes on behind the scenes when a customer comes in with food allergies. When I read what you were all saying, it did start to sound vaguely familiar from one of the books, but my memory is so crappy that I kind of forgot about it, and even if I had remembered, I wouldn't have known where to find it again quickly. And @Sara Cameron-Ragazzo...while I can't speak for everyone, just from reading the other posts, I would venture a guess that no one here was offended by your suggestion, and I appreciate you reaching out to answer my question! But I think we all have to keep in mind that, since this is in general a newbie post thread, occasionally, our own ideas on the topic won't be quite on point on the first try. That's why it's great to have moderators like @ladyshanny reading and steering us on the right path. We're all trying and doing our best here! So I will definitely call that restaurant (which will be a fancy schmancy gluten-free place in Manhattan, so definitely no buffets and I don't think there were any plain old eggs on the menu either; think more like beet and chickpea "burgers," so it'll be an interesting phone call) ahead of the time, and I will definitely say that I have dietary constraints and NOT that I have serious food allergies. Point well taken! I love learning. Keep it coming, guys! 

Very well said @invinciblechar I think I am suffering from Frazzled-Day-5-Syndrome!  All good.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Karen L said:

A suggestion that helps me:  have an apple or other sweet fruit at the end of your dinner (apples really fill me up).  Then brush and floss your teeth.  If, at 8:00, you're still really craving something, maybe some hot (compliant) tea.

We don't recommend having a sweet 'dessert' at the end of dinner... brushing teeth is a great idea but dessert just keeps the idea that it's necessary to end the meal with a sweet, even if that sweet is just fruit.  You're welcome to have fruit WITH your meal but holding it to the end and treating it as the finale is advised against. :)

So what's everyone doing this weekend?  Luckily, I'm staying VERY busy, which is better for me compliance-wise than having a lot of down time.  I tend to want to eat (and drink wine) when I'm watching tv, or not doing much of anything.  This first weekend I'll be away from home a lot so won't have that challenge.  Worried about future weekends, though.  What do others do to curb the cravings that aren't from hunger, but boredom,sadness,stress, etc?

Archived