Homemade Pico

AndieK

I make homemade pico that is simple and delicious; Roma tomatoes, jalapenos, garlic, red onion, lime juice, cilantro, and a little salt and pepper. This is perfect on top of scrambled eggs in the morning. I want to make sure this is Whole30 accepted..?? I know Whole30 ingredients when combined to make "pancakes" is a no-no. Would that be the same for my homemade pico?

I think this would be ok. The only way it might not be for some is if it would trigger you to want to eat bowls of it with chips (which are off limits) however to jazz up eggs or other complaint foods I see it as a tasty fresh way to add some additional veggies

Just now, ShannonM816 said:

Pico, salsa, chimichurri, marinara, and other sauces and toppings are fine (as long as the ingredients are compliant). They fit nicely into the meal template and they aren't re-creating unhealthy items.

Thanks Shannon! I am loving this Whole30 forum. My first form of a social network and I can handle this!!!

2 hours ago, AndieK said:

Thank you for replying...as hard as it is, no chips for me. :) I look forward to seeing what I can use pico for to spruce up some meals...like atop a pork chop with chipotle mayo perhaps? 

It can be confusing especially at the beginning. The more you flex your muscles looking at labels and looking up ingredients the easier it gets. That being said, be careful with your chipotle mayo because much chipotle in adobo (the pepper part of the mayo) has added sugars. You just have to get used to checking everything :)

11 minutes ago, misshannah said:

It can be confusing especially at the beginning. The more you flex your muscles looking at labels and looking up ingredients the easier it gets. That being said, be careful with your chipotle mayo because much chipotle in adobo (the pepper part of the mayo) has added sugars. You just have to get used to checking everything :)

Sorry, :/ I meant the Whole30 Cilantro-Lime Mayo. I'm still getting used to remembering names of sauces. I will be eventually trying all the sauces in the book. Starting simple first. Thank you! :) 

Archived