Protein Supplements

finolm

I was wondering if protein powders are completely out the window or not.  I am getting ready to start my Whole 30 Journey.  I usually supplement with promix grass-fed whey (the flavor i'm drinking is not compliant) when I have a plain jane salad for lunch.  Just wondering if there are any other affordable protein options out there!

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, finolm said:

I was wondering if protein powders are completely out the window or not.  I am getting ready to start my Whole 30 Journey.  I usually supplement with promix grass-fed whey (the flavor i'm drinking is not compliant) when I have a plain jane salad for lunch.  Just wondering if there are any other affordable protein options out there!

Protein Shakes: Almost Always No

Almost all protein powders (like whey, casein, soy, or pea) contain off-limit ingredients. Besides, anything you can get from protein powder (except maybe chemical extractives, added sweeteners and strange-sounding isolates) you can get from whole foods during your Whole30. In addition, formulated and processed meal-replacement shakes like Shakeology or Visalus are always off-limits. These products don’t even come close to our definition of real, whole food—and they’re packed with off-plan ingredients like pea protein and stevia.

However, protein powder from approved ingredients like 100% egg white are allowed on the Whole30, provided they contain no sweeteners. As always, though, liquid food is still not encouraged. Got it?

Tip: We want you to spend a month learning to appreciate real food, how it tastes, the work it takes to prepare, and how it works in your body. You can have your shaker cup back in 30 days; for now, focus on starchy veggies and lean protein after a workout. Hard-boiled eggs, compliant deli meat, smoked salmon, or tuna are easy, portable protein sources to take with you to the gym.

Archived