Balsamic Vinegars

Kdog777

I'm starting my Whole30 in a couple weeks and from all that I've read balsamic is approved. However, on a recent visit to the grocery store I've been reading labels and noticed that balsamic contains sulfates. I thought from what I've read that's a no-no. Are there specific brands of balsamic that can be used or are the vinegars an exception?

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Kdog777 said:

I'm starting my Whole30 in a couple weeks and from all that I've read balsamic is approved. However, on a recent visit to the grocery store I've been reading labels and noticed that balsamic contains sulfates. I thought from what I've read that's a no-no. Are there specific brands of balsamic that can be used or are the vinegars an exception?

Balsamic is fine as long as the sulfites are not added. So if the bottle says 'naturally occurring' or 'contains' somewhere other than the ingredient list, it's fine.  If the ingredient list has an ingredient item 'sulphites' or 'sulphites' then it's out.

• Moderators

We don't generally recommend specific brands as they can vary from region to region. You should be able to find something at your local grocery store that will work, just go in knowing you'll have to read labels. More expensive versions or ones labeled organic seem less likely to have stuff added to them, but there may be cheaper options that are compliant as well.

Yay! Balsamic vinegar reductions are one of my favorite condiments/dressings.

A lady at the health food store just told me how she adds vinegars to all of her tuna fish salads or any fish salad.  She brightens everything UP with vinegar.  I'm doing it, too.  It's fab.  Make your usual fish salad with HB eggs, mustard, celery, what have you, add vinegars and  some homemade mayo if you want to.  It's especially good for taking an extra fishy taste out if you don't want to rinse your tuna. 

Archived