Death of the Dragon - 30 days of carnage (July 25)

emilyelowe

Wow hi everyone! Well, I just came down with an awful cold/flu yesterday. Woke up voiceless, nose is having a marathon etc. I'm super bummed; was planning to start on 26th. Should I wait till I recover before starting or just go ahead? 

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
18 minutes ago, Delicacious said:

Wow hi everyone! Well, I just came down with an awful cold/flu yesterday. Woke up voiceless, nose is having a marathon etc. I'm super bummed; was planning to start on 26th. Should I wait till I recover before starting or just go ahead? 

I think you should go ahead on the 26th... it's only the 24th today so you may be feeling better... if you're at the tail end of feeling unwell, go for it... if you're getting sicker by the day, then by the 26th you may want to wait a day or two... go by how you feel... 

2 hours ago, emilyelowe said:

Oh! Here are my social media accounts, as well, if anyone is interested. It's mostly pictures of my dog and sometimes my food. :)

Facebook: Emily Lowe

Instagram: emilyelisabethlowe

Snapchat: esmalleslowe

I usually deny people I don't know so if you add me and I deny you, I didn't make the connection, so let me know on here. Haha!

Just requested on Instagram, Emily. My Instagram: Delicacious 

After a fantastic 2 week vacation during which literally EVERYTHING was designated 'worth it' I've made a snap decision to join you guys - i feel bloated and unconfortable and would like not to.

I'm also going to use these 30 days to work on improving my 10k running pace (I've done a couple of Wh30s before so I do know to be kind to myself in the first week - 10 days and not push too hard for speed). So, today is my day 1, round 3 and I'm pretty excited to get back to looking after myself as I should. Sadly (due to bloat) no breakfast/meal one today but looking forward to a deliciously compliant lunch and an 8 mile run after work today :)

Wow this thread is so busy already. Which is great! It means that lots of people are making a commitment to their health. :)

@Laurie Thanks for the welcome! I hope to be able to contribute here often. I know I'll need to watch the talk of any off-plan things, but I am doing a mini-reset right now and I'm trying to continue eating according to the template, so I should have plenty of on-plan talk to contribute! 

Great advice about the fruit and nut butters too, Laurie! I did a pre-Whole30 (two-ish weeks of mostly Whole30 eating with some planned off-plan eating and some "newbie" mistakes). I bought some almond butter during that period and ate nearly half the jar during the two weeks as a daily snack with apples before learning that snacking on fruit + nut butters is not encouraged. Now that half of a jar is still sitting around and I don't know what to do with it. Haha! Some other things I learned while on my Whole30: watch your balsamic vinegar...mine had caramel color in it which is a sneaky sugar, almost all ham and bacon have sugar in them, and make sure to compose your meals according to the template. I was not getting enough fat into my breakfasts at first and would be hungry ALL. DAY. LONG. 

@Delicacious I got a cold during my Whole30 and even though I was very cranky about it, I could manage and I got over it much faster than my roommate who gave it to me. She was sick for 2 weeks before leaving for a cruise and was still sick when she got back 2 weeks later; I was sick for 5 days. I drank a lot of compliant tea and made myself some spicy soups (when I'm sick I crave hot and sour soup for some reason, lol), and got through it. 

@SugarcubeOD I'm just going to make whatever you're making! ;) I love the idea of coleslaw with salmon cakes and I happen to have an extra bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix in my fridge right now, so salmon cakes + coleslaw may happen this week. I also see chili lime cod on your list and I'm going to have to try that one too. More fish! 

@FairyL0u I like your goal and I just have to say I'm impressed with your running abilities. I've started trying to work up to running a 5k, but it's slow going for someone like me who has barely ever been able to run even a mile at a time. :) 

Welcome to all the others! Hope you enjoy your Whole30 experience!

Ok. I'm going to go ahead and start tomorrow with my husband. Flu seems to be getting better - I figure eating good food shouldn't delay my recovery? I spent my day rendering pork lard (now I have a box of yummy lard croutons for salads), grinding up some fatty pork and making sausage patties for freezing, and marinated some chicken legs for tossing into the oven tomorrow. How do you all do your meal preps? Do you pre-cook or wake up early to cook for the day? I don't think I can manage to cook everyday in the morning. Thinking of pre-cooking some items. 

On July 20, 2017 at 4:26 PM, emilyelowe said:

OK, enough serious stuff for the day. I'm off to have my last margarita before The Death of the Dragon - 30 Days of Carnage kicks off. ;) Have a good one!

I hope you enjoyed your last margarita, emilyelowe!  I know I thoroughly enjoyed my wine last night, as my husband and I are officially on Whole 30 as of this morning.  So far so good. Breakfast was two hard-boiled eggs, a banana, some cherries, and black tea w/a peach tea bag for some sweetness.  I went on a nice long walk, and am looking forward to a big salad for lunch.  I weighed myself this morning, and am really going to try not to peek at the scale again until after day 30.  

I appreciated your goals for non-scale victories. I have many of the same goals. :)

Wendy

• Moderators
3 hours ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

I'm just going to make whatever you're making! ;) I love the idea of coleslaw with salmon cakes and I happen to have an extra bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix in my fridge right now, so salmon cakes + coleslaw may happen this week. I also see chili lime cod on your list and I'm going to have to try that one too. More fish! 

Hahah!  Definitely do it!  I often base my meal plan on what @ladyshanny is making ;)  I've enjoyed eating more fish even in the last couple of days with the ceviche, the salmon cakes and lime cod (for dinner tonight).  I'm usually pretty much a chicken and pork person but that gets boring and in summer it's nicer to eat something that feels lighter and still meets the template and guidelines!

One of the things that I decided needed to be changed in my life is eating breakfast at home... I usually packed my breakfast and ate it at work but it's so much nicer to sit at home and it honestly didn't even cost me more time! 

@delicacious - I prep EVERYTHING... There's breakfast stirfry, cod, salmon cakes, baked chicken, eggplant/cauli, ceaser salad dressing and two dressings for the eggplant in my fridge right now. It will all last from Saturday/Sunday cooking day until Friday/Saturday of the following week... prepping like that means that besides not having to cook in the am, there is NO excuse for driving home from work and wanting takeout because you have a fridge full of amazing food!

Hi guys,

I see a lot of familiar faces in this thread. I started my third Whole30 of the year last Thursday the 20th. My husband is doing his second along with me. If it's okay, I'll hang out here with y'all! We both really fell off the wagon after the second one due to the stress of buying our first home, eek! (Hope to close on Thursday...) Fortunately/unfortunately, having experienced the Whole30 already, we immediately felt a huge difference in our energy levels, mental sharpness, you name it, the whole time we were eating not-so-healthy foods! The difference is tremendous. Of course, we both gained a few pounds as well. I never weigh myself unless I'm about to start a Whole30 or just ending one, so whatever. It's nice not to have my self esteem tied to the scale. Anyway, falling off the wagon really was a wakeup call. Of course, I had a much tougher first few days on this one than on my other two. Just goes to show you that it doesn't take much to wake the sugar dragon back up in a major way! I took a five-hour nap on Saturday. Physically, I feel fine now, but I just went into the break room at work and saw the most beautiful cake. Oh man, did I want to dive into that. Of course, I didn't. Sugar dragon is still alive, for now...

Best of luck to everyone...I have one week down and so far so good. I survived a dinner/movie night, Birthday dinner and a concert w/out going off Whole 30. I can't wait to hear about all of your survival tactics for all of your outings. The best so far for me was having a waitress ask if I was doing Whole 30 after my hundred and one questions. She told me she just finished her 3rd cycle and has lost 60 lbs. in 4 months. Weight loss isn't my goal but that'll be a welcome bonus. :) Happy Tuesday All!

Hi everybody!!!

Such great insight....I soak up all the knowledge! 

Its day 2 for me, I slept awful last night so I'm very fatigued...I'm pushing through  my day and so far it's going well.

i had 4.5 oz of chicken and zucchini with almond basil pesto for lunch and feel very bloated, very full.

im struggling with breakfast.  I will do more research on how to better approach it for me.  

Have a great day!

Mooie

16 minutes ago, Mooie said:

Hi everybody!!!

Such great insight....I soak up all the knowledge! 

Its day 2 for me, I slept awful last night so I'm very fatigued...I'm pushing through  my day and so far it's going well.

i had 4.5 oz of chicken and zucchini with almond basil pesto for lunch and feel very bloated, very full.

im struggling with breakfast.  I will do more research on how to better approach it for me.  

Have a great day!

Mooie

This is my very first time doing the Whole 30 life change and I found breakfast to be the hardest to follow through with. I started w/the egg/bacon muffins and packaged them in baggies. I haul them to work along w/an avo and a piece of fruit. I heat the muffin before I even sit down at my desk and have made it a goal to eat everything w/in 20 minutes of starting my work day. It's worked so far. I am up and out the door in about 45 minutes so I feel this is as close to the one hour rule as I'm going to get. :) Good luck!

Wow @emilyelowe, guess we are doing this again!! And what a great thing to already have such an active group! I love it. And I see a lot of familiar faces!! I need to do some prep work today but will be jumping in and making tomorrow my Day 1. Having some medical issues going on so I would really like to focus my energy on something positive like a whole 30 as I will be needing some more surgery in September ugh. I am also on vacation in the end of August so I think I am looking at a whole 25, which is fine  cuz Its a reset for me, the reintro part I already have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't work for me. 

Good Luck everyone! 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Susabella627 said:

And I would also just like to add that @SugarcubeOD you have always been so helpful in the past (I think this is my 5th round) I feel like it's a privileged to have you in the group!!!

Death to the Dragon!!

:wub: Well thank you so much, that was really nice!  Glad you're joining us!!

Day 2!  Read as much as I could about getting in breakfast....I will eat within the hour of waking and ear the planned meal.  It says it may take a couple of days to get through it and not struggle...I'm so looking forward to putting this in my eating.

i made chicken broth, beef broth and the perfect sausage!

i have read so much material in depth....and still....I'm learning so much from all the moderators and members.

i went back and read posts from 2010....gave me great information. 

keep focused!!  It's only 4 mondays! :)

• Moderators

Happy Day WhateverYou'reOn!  Today was Day 2 for me... Dinner is over and the kitchen is closed (except for the cleaning lady who will have to go in there later and clean up... oh, that's me... crap!).  The cauliflower and eggplant I linked a few posts up is incredible!  I didn't use the Dukkah because I don't have any nuts at the moment and I don't feel like going to a store, but the cilantro chili sauce and the tahini dressing are delicious and the paprika (I used smoked) seasoned eggplant and cauliflower (which I loathe) was so good... maybe I don't loathe cauliflower after all... we'll see ;)

I swept the floor right after work and don't think I"ll give in to the temptation to nap today; I WILL be going to bed reasonably early tho and that's just because I'm reading a really good book right now!

What did everyone eat today?  How did it go?  

51 minutes ago, Mooie said:

Day 2!  Read as much as I could about getting in breakfast....I will eat within the hour of waking and ear the planned meal.  It says it may take a couple of days to get through it and not struggle...I'm so looking forward to putting this in my eating.

i made chicken broth, beef broth and the perfect sausage!

i have read so much material in depth....and still....I'm learning so much from all the moderators and members.

i went back and read posts from 2010....gave me great information. 

keep focused!!  It's only 4 mondays! :)

It's Day 1 for me and hubby. I'm 12 hours ahead so it's the morning of 26th now. @Mooie I struggle with eating my breakfast an hour within waking up, but I'm going to try. I take over an hour to commute to work, and that means by the time I get to office it's probably 2 hours from wake time. Trying to finish my breakfast of sweet potato and zucchini hash with sausage patties. I usually eat bread or muffins for breakfast, so I'm not quite used to meats in the morning. Hopefully in a few more days, I'll get used to it! 

Hmm. It's 4pm and I'm hungry after having my lunch at 12pm. I prepared one baked chicken leg with some cauliflower cous cous, side of tomatoes and cucumbers. Does that mean I'm not eating enough since I'm hungry that soon? I'm trying to figure out just how much food I need to prepare. My previous meals were typically rice or noodles and those were easily filling and could last me till dinner with no snack in between. Should I add more protein or a starchy veg? 

@Delicacious you could add a  more protein, veggie, fat and/or starchy carb to your lunch.  I think your lunch is on the small side.  Once chicken leg is very little.  I would eat a few chicken legs.  It is best to prepare extra food which can always be used for other meals.  Better to have too much than too little.  You made it 4 hours between meals which is good.  Meals are meant to last 4 - 5 hours so you are good.  If hungry, just have a mini meal but make sure it follows the template.  Do not use fruit and nuts for mini meals.

I am very happy to see so many people participating.  Great group of newbies and experienced W30 folks.  Hope everyone will check in often. 

Today is day 3.  Yesterday I had a stomach ache in the morning (maybe result of sweet potato on day 1).  I have IBS/colon issues so I often feel off.  Doctor from Cleveland Clinic told me to avoid fodmaps.  Wanted to include sweet potatoes in my plan but that may not be possible.  Maybe in small amounts sweet potato would work.  This morning I feel good.  Food for day 2 was M1 3 eggs, zucchini, M2 ground turkey, zucchini, grapefruit, M3 chicken thighs, shrimp, zucchini, broccoli, spinach, tomato with olive oil (very large portion for this meal).  I usually keep my protein servings high since protein does not seem to give me intestinal issues.

I keep my foods very simple and eat the same things all the time.  It works well for me.  After dinner last night, I brushed my teeth to signify the end of eating for the day. Success.   It is only day 3 but I feel very focused. 

Thanks @Laurie. I just went grocery shopping for more proteins. I figure I need to prepare a larger lunch for both me and hubby. Hubby probably needs an even larger serving. 

Dinner was Instantpot beef stew with carrots and potatoes, stir fried vegetables and some fish broth. Kids and mom are not on Whole30 so dinner are going to be dishes that the rest of the family can eat with rice. Left over stew for lunch tomorrow. 

Oh. I have been examining ingredients in the supermarket for the past few days. Can't believe there's sugar in virtually everything (like smoked salmon?!) and there were stabilizers (careenagan) in fresh 100% coconut milk. Pfft. 

Day 3

Can't quite get control of my energy levels, they seem to be all over the place... fatigued one minute, then screaming wide-awake next (the latter when trying to sleep).

I know this is normal so early on in the programme, just wondering how everyone else manages it?

Day 2 for me and still feeling obscenely bloated but that'll be gone in a couple of days, it's entirely my own fault and caused by consuming large quantities of things on holiday that are not healthy for me :).

I have a question; I am cooking pork chops tonight, braised with onion, garlic, mushrooms, chicory, tarragon & thyme (serving w/ brocolli, cauliflower, courgette, etc. to get PLENTY of veg in) -  usually I'd use Vermouth or white wine to braise in but clearly that's not happening today - has anyone tried using appple juice and cider vinegar in combination instead of white wine in cooking? Does it work? Will it render perfectly good ingredients immediately inedible? I'm likely to eat and enjoy the results in any case but my husband doesn't share my motivation to avoid the wine I'd normally be using.... :D

Archived