Death of the Dragon - 30 days of carnage (July 25)

emilyelowe

• Moderators

Hey @Laurie - I'm so sorry you're being tested again and I hope your pain eases soon.  Just remember that you're obviously an incredibly strong woman for having gotten through all you have in the last couple years... you may not FEEL strong (we almost never do when we're in the thick of it) but I (and probably everyone here) can tell you that you are.  You're moving forward one day at a time and that deserves kudos!  Keep going, honor your body so that your mind has room to grieve... 

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Okay, week 2 menu planning is done :)

Option 1 is Turkey and green bean/mushroom stir fry with eggs and avocado/mayo

Option 2 is Chicken thighs seasoned with Italian Porcini Mushroom powder over Kale slaw with Green Goddess dressing that I never got around to making this week!

Option 3 is Thai Larb on Romaine (http://www.thedefineddish.com/recipe/whole30-larb-gai-spicy-thai-pork-salad/)

Option 4 which will be later in the week is red snapper ceviche over roasted potato with mayo 

The only thing I'll have to buy is the fish this week because everything else came out of the deep freeze (to make room for my 30 pounds of blueberries) and my veggies seem to last around 2 weeks in the fridge so I've got some romaine and kale slaw leftover still (and when the kale slaw gets weird, it gets sauteed... so lunch might be 'warm salad' :)

The weekend will be eating the rest of the salmon burgers and the final piece of cod will be dinner tonight... 

What are the rest of you eating next week?  Do you guys meal plan like this or do you wing it?

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

What are the rest of you eating next week?  Do you guys meal plan like this or do you wing it?

Wow, you are a master planner! I am pretty good about doing a long Sunday prep. But by Wednesday evening, we're usually running out of food. I don't like leaving cooked meat in the fridge longer than three days, just a thing I have. That doesn't help. So Wednesday is a day me or my husband will swing by the grocery store on the way home to get us through to the weekend. I may have to steal your Thai larb recipe. Haven't had any Thai flavors yet doing a Whole30! I think I may try a pad thai recipe as well this round. 

Big challenge this weekend. We're going to visit my parents at their beach house. So that's Friday dinner through Sunday breakfast. My parents have been supportive but these weekends are usually comfort food, dessert and wine galore. I almost told my mom we wouldn't be able to go, but my husband snapped me out of it and said we could do it. The big challenge for him will be no beer. And you know, he's right. We can do it. We're bringing all our own food. There is a grill there, so we have burgers and shrimp for protein. I made some balsamic vinaigrette and a huge batch of white and sweet potato salad. This will be my first time eating any white potatoes at all during a Whole30, but I'm going to try to keep my portion sizes fairly small so as to not awaken my sugar dragon, who has been quieting down nicely the past couple of days (today is my day 8). We'll also have a bunch of spinach, eggs and compliant bacon. And a boatload of La Croix, mint and fruit.

Wish us luck! Hope everyone has a great weekend! 

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, diamonds422 said:

Wow, you are a master planner! I am pretty good about doing a long Sunday prep. But by Wednesday evening, we're usually running out of food. I don't like leaving cooked meat in the fridge longer than three days, just a thing I have. That doesn't help. So Wednesday is a day me or my husband will swing by the grocery store on the way home to get us through to the weekend. I may have to steal your Thai larb recipe. Haven't had any Thai flavors yet doing a Whole30! I think I may try a pad thai recipe as well this round. 

Big challenge this weekend. We're going to visit my parents at their beach house. So that's Friday dinner through Sunday breakfast. My parents have been supportive but these weekends are usually comfort food, dessert and wine galore. I almost told my mom we wouldn't be able to go, but my husband snapped me out of it and said we could do it. The big challenge for him will be no beer. And you know, he's right. We can do it. We're bringing all our own food. There is a grill there, so we have burgers and shrimp for protein. I made some balsamic vinaigrette and a huge batch of white and sweet potato salad. This will be my first time eating any white potatoes at all during a Whole30, but I'm going to try to keep my portion sizes fairly small so as to not awaken my sugar dragon, who has been quieting down nicely the past couple of days (today is my day 8). We'll also have a bunch of spinach, eggs and compliant bacon. And a boatload of La Croix, mint and fruit.

Wish us luck! Hope everyone has a great weekend! 

It helps that I live alone and I have very low standards when it comes to eating food in my fridge... if it doesn't smell weird, it's fair game!  

Thai flavors are good and if you (or anyone) want to punch up a dish, add sesame oil!  It transforms the dull and ordinary into delish!  Pull some mayo out of your jar and put some drops of sesame oil in the mayo and make a sesame aioli for fish or chicken too... so good!

As far as 'comfort' food, I actually love that you used that word because that gives me the opportunity to say 'what about feeling icky, hungover and bloated is comfortable'?  Nothing... Comfort food to me is food that makes me mentally and physically comfortable... nourishing, flavorful, fresh and healthy!  So you CAN have comfort food at your beach house vacay (and heck ya of COURSE you're going!).  It sounds glorious and I can't wait for you to report back on how great it was and how you are so proud of yourself for making it!

Omg....the sloppy Joe's in the Whole 30 cookbook is the bomb!

served in over 1/2 sweet Potato!  

I will read the posts and reply later tonight! Burst of wonderful energy! Gotta take advantage of it!

day 5! 

@emilyelowe: I'm doing whole30 with my husband, but I've got 4 others in the house who are not on whole30. For dinners, I try to think of something that is compliant and can feed everyone (and the rest can eat it with their rice etc) but that usually means not much leftovers for storage. I'm running out of fridge/freezer space as well! I make my stews etc with my instant pot - a great time saver. 

@SugarcubeOD: I try to meal plan, but food goes out really quickly, probably because I'm not doing alone and I feed 6 for dinners. But i'm going to try to plan at least for a few days. Like @diamonds422, I don't leave cooked food in the fridge for more than 3-4 days. So I'm trying to freeze some. 

@Mooie: Sloppyjoes sound great. I'm also thinking about sweet potato shepherd's pie. It will probably freeze great. 

Day 4 morning (Saturday) for me. I realised last night that my leg muscle aches are gone! My calf muscles and feet ache every night - and it's not due to exercise. I just realised that since I started Whole30, there is no ache! My husband is pleased because he no longer needs to give me massages lol. I'm wondering what in the diet might have caused the aches though. They started after I gave birth. I'm pleased as chum.

Kid's fever broke - so she's less fussy. :) I tried making mayo yesterday - BIG FAIL. Somehow it turned out bitter even tho I used regular olive oil, not EVOO. I read up abit after that and realised that the blades of the immersion blender causes a change in the olive oil and it releases bitter substances?? I'm off to hunt for light olive oil. 

Breakfast today was two soft boiled eggs, left over sweet potato and zucchini hash and some spinach leaves with a lemon vinaigrette. Oh and a slice of smoked salmon. I'm going to find time today to some meal planning and grocery shopping. Have a good rest everyone! The weekend is here!

6 hours ago, emilyelowe said:

You guys, this mayo thing is a game changer. Trying this one now. 

Happy Friday! 

I made my first batch of mayo last week and emily is speaking truth!  So easy to add things for a world of flavor possibiltiies.  I use avocado oil and an immersion blender and it is easy as can be.  I'm picking up chipotle chile powder during my next grocery run, thanks for that recipe!!

Good Morning everybody!

day 6, woke with a achy body, feel hung over and oh so tired. My eyes are heavy.

i had raisins yesterday and I'm thinking I had to many...not sure if I'm feeling this  because of the sugars.

i had a good handful, and a salad with them....so maybe a healthy 1/2 a cup.  I feel like I want to toss them out.

can you freeze rains? 

I don't  the energy or brain matter to respond to the past posts.  Going to take a nap.

any insight would be welcomed.  

Please and thank you!

Thanks for the link Sugarcube:

This is exactly how I feel!

Days 6-7: I just want a nap…

Okay, so its day 6 and you made it through the last phase without smiting anyone. The thing is, today you don’t feel like you could smite anyone if your life depended on it! It’s 10 am and all you can think about is crawling under your desk for a catnap. As the day drags on, the surface of your desk is morphing, from hard wooden surface to snuggly warm pillow, right before your eyes. You hit the gym, but only halfheartedly, unable to face the barbell with any kind of conviction. You crawl into bed at 8 p.m. only to drag yourself out eleven hours later feeling no more rested than you did the night before.

So what’s the deal?! Isn’t eating like this supposed to increase energy levels? Yes…in the long run. Right now, your body is learning that it can’t rely on all those easy access energy sources it used to know and love. Gone are the days of cinnamon crunch muffins and Frappuccinos. Now your body is learning to efficiently burn fat and protein as its fuel sources, and that takes more effort – and some time. If you can hold out just a bit longer, you’ll definitely reap the benefits. (Besides, you could probably use a day off from the gym anyway, right?)

It's lovely to read about everyone enjoying such delicious food and hopefully no one is struggling too much with old weekend habits.... it's been a pretty busy day today - 10 mile run in the rain this morning, shopping for the week, and now cooking what's turned into a whole 30 banquet; Moroccan Lamb patties, potatas  bravas, Lebanese herb salad and tahini dressing- also some salad leaves & co (in case we get hungry.....) 

What's everyone else enjoying this evening?

Hope everyone survived their first Friday night on the Whole30! I remember that being one of the hardest days for me, I'd be tired from the week and all I'd want to do is sit down with some junk food and watch TV. This Friday I got home and played in the yard with the puppy, nearly sprained my ankle, so I came inside and chopped potatoes while sitting at the table with my foot elevated. Luckily, I still had some leftover shredded chicken and veggies, so the meal came together pretty quickly once the potatoes were done.

I was exhausted on Friday after work, but that was mostly due to a combination of overwork, under-eating, and doing things like skipping breakfast on Thursday so I could get my work started earlier (don't do that). I felt MUCH better after eating a giant plate of shredded chicken, BBQ sauce, veggies, and a potato.

I'm going to make some mayo in a little bit! It's absolutely one of my favorite things from the Whole30. Homemade mayo. So good!

Hope everyone's weekend is a good one!

• Moderators

Morning Dragon Slayers!

I woke up this morning with a cracking headache... pretty sure it's sinus so I took a sinutab~it's gorgeous here in BC right now so I"m not interested in being sidelined with a headache :)

I made this Green Goddess dressing last night after killing a spider the size of a Buick walking up the wall in my house... It was my effort to disctract myself from torching the house... http://www.realfoodwithdana.com/avocado-green-goddess-dressing/

It was really good but because I can't just make a recipe as written, I used more oil than called, no water and then thinned it down a titch with coconut milk for it to be more dressing consitency... it's pretty tasty... needs more lemon and salt so I"ll continue to tweak it :)

Good luck to those going through their first weekend... just remember, 3 meals a day :)  Weekends are notorious for grazing - don't be a grazer ;) 

Good advice, @SugarcubeOD! Question for you or someone else smarter than me: what is the recommended amount for mayo as the fat in your meal? I don't see it directly  mentioned on the meal template so I wasn't sure what category it fell into. 

Sorry  about your ankle and your tough week, @NoneOtherThanAmy! I am so proud of you and your consistency! You're amazing! 

Meal planning is done for the week and I am SO EXCITED. :D We  got eggplant, zucchini, cucumbers, peaches, and blackberries at the farmers market today. Lunch and dinner menu this week will include:

• Eggplant lasagna
  • Chipotle Pork Chops with arugula, grilled peaches, blackberries, cucumbers, grilled onions, and lemon vinaigrette. 
  • Chicken thigh pesto with zucchini noodles 
  • Three different meals from Blue Apron! 

You have no idea how crazy this is for a person who normally eats the same 2-3 meals all week long. 

Having a a super great Saturday. Hubby and I are both feeling like we are crushing this Whole30. Have a good one! 

@emilyelowe I definitely notice a pep in your step that was missing the past few weeks. Maybe having your hubby on board this time around is making it easier. Love that your crushing it - keep posting those meal ideas it is inspiring me to think outside the box lol

@NoneOtherThanAmy hope your ankle is feeling better today. Sounds like you are in a really good place with everything - makes me happy!!

@SugarcubeOD your posts always make me chuckle - guessing you don't like spiders very much lol. Hope your headache improves. 

Day 4 here ... feeling steady, notice energy levels coming up and sugar cravings going down so all is good. 

Have a great weekend all!!

• Moderators
4 hours ago, emilyelowe said:

Good advice, @SugarcubeOD! Question for you or someone else smarter than me: what is the recommended amount for mayo as the fat in your meal? I don't see it directly  mentioned on the meal template so I wasn't sure what category it fell into. 

Sorry  about your ankle and your tough week, @NoneOtherThanAmy! I am so proud of you and your consistency! You're amazing! 

Meal planning is done for the week and I am SO EXCITED. :D We  got eggplant, zucchini, cucumbers, peaches, and blackberries at the farmers market today. Lunch and dinner menu this week will include:

• Eggplant lasagna
  • Chipotle Pork Chops with arugula, grilled peaches, blackberries, cucumbers, grilled onions, and lemon vinaigrette. 
  • Chicken thigh pesto with zucchini noodles 
  • Three different meals from Blue Apron! 

You have no idea how crazy this is for a person who normally eats the same 2-3 meals all week long. 

Having a a super great Saturday. Hubby and I are both feeling like we are crushing this Whole30. Have a good one! 

Oooh, that all sounds so good Emily!  I wish we had more Saturday farmers markets here... they're most on sundays and I"m already done and dusted for meal planning and shopping by Sunday... we do have an amazing farm about 15 min drive from my house that I get a lot of veggies at.

So mayo... there's no hard and fast rule but a thumb is the measuring size for oils and since mayo is primarily oil, I usually use a tablespoon or two... it's hard to overeat fat because it's so satiating but for me, mayo is really easy to overdo so Im careful to always portion it and then that's it because unlike if I put too much avocado on my plate, I'll actually eat the mayo... 

@emilyelowe I looked up the timeline after you mentioned it. Hilarious. But it does give me a little idea of what to expect, since it's my first round. Your meal plan looks great! 

@NoneOtherThanAmy Hope that your sprain ankle recovers soon. Remember to ice it if there's a swelling!

Day 5 for me (Sunday morning): last night was rough - coughed through the night. Kids woke up multiple times so poor hubby is exhausted as well. Made chicken bone broth last night and had a mug of it this morning - very comforting. Made burger patties for freezing and Kalua pork for dinner yesterday. 3 servings (for 2 ppl) left for freezing. 

Calf aches returned last night. I was thrilled that they disappeared for two days but I guess it's still early in the journey. Have a great weekend everyone! 

Thanks @emilyelowe, @Susabella627, and @Delicacious! My ankle is totally fine now. I wrapped it up immediately, elevated it for most of Friday evening, and iced it for a little while.  It never hurt too badly, but it definitely felt weird afterwards. I've had plantar fasciitis issues in that foot, so I think the twist or roll may have just aggravated that issue for a bit. 

I'm doing meal planning for the week this morning. I'm thinking I'll make some salmon cakes and coleslaw, maybe the ceviche, and this Crispy Chicken Skillet With Artichokes, Beets, Lemon & Olives. Not sure what to do for breakfast or veggies yet, but I may just wing it for some of those things. :) I made one of my favorite recipes, Sloppy Joes, yesterday so I should have enough food for today.

@emilyelowe, @SugarcubeOD, and @Delicacious Thank you all so much for the supportive words and advice. I'm trying to cut down on the fruit but watermelon, I just can't resist it! I'm going to make a better go of reducing it this week. 

Ans I should've kept my mouth shut about it feeling easy because the end of the week was really hard. Most of the evening Friday and all day Saturday I was consumed with a splitting headache, probably the worst I've had in a long while. I finally slept it off with an nearly 90 minute nap Saturday afternoon but man, that was rough. I got lazy at the end of the week with food and we finished off mostly leftovers for meals (I hate wasting food). Saturday night we made grilled Caesar salads that were amazing. The food is ridiculously good! 

I'm out of town for my work trip now. Made a stuffed frittata for breakfast before flying out, had very plain pulled pork for lunch with some veggies (it was all I could find on the menu of the place we stopped on our way from the airport to our worksite, a remote construction site) and then another grilled salad for dinner which was a variation on last nights but made even better with shrimp and roasted peppers. The big success was going out to eat for the first time Friday with the Hubs. We went for Thai and had a long conversation with our waiter who steered us through the menu and adapted a few things to help us make them compliant. We had delicious green curry with compliant satay and a cucumber and veggie salad that was delicious. It felt like a small victory just getting out there and dictating the terms of our meal. @emilyelowe, it reminds me of your cat analogy, we wouldn't feel bad asking to avoid a cat if we were allergic, why do healthy food options and asking for them seen difficult? 

@Simon T (UK), I hear you about the energy. I've had a few moments of just completely zoning out, like 60 to zero, and thinking, why can't I focus? I usually try to engage in some sort of activity in those monetary, regardless of how small, just to get my groove back. 

@Laurie, so sorry to hear of your loss. Pain like that is tough. It feels overwhelming and insurmountable. But it isn't! Feel it, go through and coke out stronger on the other side. We're all pulling for you! 

Day 6 morning for me. Energy levels are rather low - seems to fit the guide eh? Didn't manage to do as much meal prep as I would like to, but we would get by this week. I made the most awesome creamy mushroom soup yesterday, with coconut milk! My youngest one usually refuses mushroom soup but she loved this one and finished every single drop of it. Since everyone wanted seconds - I had none left to freeze. :( Breakfast today was simple - salmon spinach egg muffins (from the freezer and reheated) with roasted sweet potatoes, avocado and some cherry tomatoes. Lunch today will be left over kalua pork with lettuce. I made a simple parsley garlic sauce (mince parsley, garlic, add salt and drizzle in olive oil) to go with it and it was lovely.

@jephrystanley: It's awesome that you can find compliant food outside. Most Thai restaurants where I am make their curries out of their own pre-made mixes that usually include sugar, and meats are usually pre marinated. Really difficult to get to customise. MSG in outside food is common as well. I haven't had that much luck eating out yet but I hope to be able to find some place nice to bring my mom for her birthday. Maybe a steak place - that should be fairly safe.

On 7/29/2017 at 7:05 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

So mayo... there's no hard and fast rule but a thumb is the measuring size for oils and since mayo is primarily oil, I usually use a tablespoon or two... it's hard to overeat fat because it's so satiating but for me, mayo is really easy to overdo so Im careful to always portion it and then that's it because unlike if I put too much avocado on my plate, I'll actually eat the mayo... 

That is exactly what I was concerned about - it's basically turning into ketchup or BBQ sauce or ranch or any other sauce, which is so easy for me to overdo. I like it saucy. I really appreciate the recommendation (and the connection that 1 thumb equals about 1 TBSP, which is what I suspected, but it's not like I can actually fit my thumb in there to check :lol:). Thank you!

7 hours ago, Delicacious said:

Day 6 morning for me. Energy levels are rather low - seems to fit the guide eh? Didn't manage to do as much meal prep as I would like to, but we would get by this week. I made the most awesome creamy mushroom soup yesterday, with coconut milk! My youngest one usually refuses mushroom soup but she loved this one and finished every single drop of it. Since everyone wanted seconds - I had none left to freeze. :( Breakfast today was simple - salmon spinach egg muffins (from the freezer and reheated) with roasted sweet potatoes, avocado and some cherry tomatoes. Lunch today will be left over kalua pork with lettuce. I made a simple parsley garlic sauce (mince parsley, garlic, add salt and drizzle in olive oil) to go with it and it was lovely.

Maybe you would have more food left over if you weren't such a good cook! :lol:  Seriously, I want you to cook me dinner. Haha. 

Archived