Death of the Dragon - 30 days of carnage (July 25)

emilyelowe

23 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

So I've been thinking some more about this positivity vs negative self talk... I love love LOVE a good analogy... my therapist started writing them down cause I made up so many... so I was tryinig to think of an analogy as to why we have to seemingly continuously pour positive thoughts into ourselves... and i thought... well we drink water... that's not a one and done thing.  We drink water every day because it is healthy, its required for good bodily function and it keeps us alive.  But it must happen ever day... hourly even!  If we don't drink water on a consistent basis, our body turns toxic, our bodily functions don't work properly and eventually, things start to die.  Not much different than positivity... Not a one and done thing... those books that inspire us (Hello Brene!), the food that fuels us, the people that bring out the positive and the growth in us... that's not one and done either... it's not a meme on instagram that touches you for a second and a half, it's a constant practice to choose a better tape in our heads...

Anyway, those are my thoughts... anyone else have a good analogy?  I LOVE a good analogy... if I didn't mention that ;)

Woah. I love this. I absolutely love analogies, and this one is PERFECT. Thanks @SugarcubeOD!!

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@emilyelowe sorry about the "Dead Sea lasagne." Sometimes, I didn't know that too much salt could trigger the sugar dragon though. That's learning for me. And yes, there's much washing with 6 people at home. Thankfully, other adults typically do the washing. 

Day 9 and I'm suffering from fatigue. Almost right after lunch I feel dizzy. I'm not sure why. I had tomato meatballs over zoodles. Am I eating too little? Will that make me dizzy? 

@Delicacious My browser did that when I first started this chain, too! I couldn't figure out how to delete it, but it eventually disappeared, so I assumed @SugarcubeOD took care of it. 

I'm no mod, but if you only had meat and zoodles, it seems likely you're both not eating enough and definitely not having enough fat. I feel like zucchini is basically crunchy water, so even if you felt like you had a filling amount, it could be not enough calories which I think could make you dizzy. I have definitely felt that way after not eating enough. It's tricky sometimes when we are eating nutritious food to make room in our bellies for enough calories. (I mean, I don't have this problem, but I hear other people do. :P) Hope you feel better soon!

Day 10 for me and feeling good. SUPER sore from the gym yesterday but I'm hoping that is just a sign that I pushed myself and had a good workout. Slept GREAT last night, woke up alert and rested, and even fell asleep easier than I have been (I had the Natural Calm drink earlier - like 6 p.m. with dinner, so wondering if that helped). Also feel pretty good in my clothes so far today. I did notice some redness and bumpiness on my face so I am a little nervous about that but will just try to keep an eye on it. If my face gets worse during the W30, I can only assume it is from incorporating the fish oil supplement. I might also be paranoid. 

Dinner last night was delicious - using the basic Blue Apron recipe we were sent with some W30-compliant changes, we had chicken tenders (coconut flour + flaxseed meal), hot ranch for dipping, potato salad with some green onion, marinated cucumbers, and baked okra. SO MUCH YUM. I took my time eating it and made my husband stay at the table the whole time even though we had stuff to do, too. I also ended the evening significantly less mad at the dishes. So apparently we've reconciled. :P 

Day 10:

Pre-WO: HB egg with guac

Post-WO: HB egg white

M1: sweet potatoes, broccoli fritter, 3 eggs, hot ranch

M2: leftover chicken tender + grilled chicken to get enough protein, broccoli fritter, okra, guac

M3: steak, potatoes, broccoli fritter and... something else I think? can't remember

Have a good day everybody!

3 hours ago, Delicacious said:

Can someone help delete this? My browser hung and it reposted many times

Someone will fix it for you, shortly.  Every morning mods delete the spam :Pand tidy up the forum. I read the spam for my morning :D:lol:.

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

Someone will fix it for you, shortly.  Every morning mods delete the spam :Pand tidy up the forum. I read the spam for my morning :D:lol:.

All fixed up, @Delicacious.  Spam removal is really awkward to do on a mobile phone so I often wait until I'm in the office and can do on a desktop. I suspect others are the same. It does help to report spam when you see it as it removes it from the main pages and puts it in a queue for mods to remove. :) 

7 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

All fixed up, @Delicacious.  Spam removal is really awkward to do on a mobile phone so I often wait until I'm in the office and can do on a desktop. I suspect others are the same. It does help to report spam when you see it as it removes it from the main pages and puts it in a queue for mods to remove. :) 

Thanks so much @ladyshanny

• Moderators

It's the end of Day 11 for me!  I can NOT WAIT for this week to be over... all poultry all the time has been brutal! I also realized that I don't really like ground meat in anything other than a chili or casserole... using it to make a hash makes me feel like I"m eating small rocks... it's kind of off putting.. 

I would normally have done my meal plan for next week today or tomorrow (at work) but I'm doing a special project... if you can call it special OR a project.  Our hospital is opening up a brand new 9 floor in patient mental health facility in two weeks... all those things that just 'end up' in rooms like garbage cans, gloves and glove box holders, sharps containers and stuff... ya, someone has to put those in there... so today I uncrated hundreds and hundreds of garbage cans and recycling bins of various sizes and then dispursed them into all the rooms on the top four floors... tomorrow is the last five floors and then we have to do the exam room dispursement, pharmacy and linens... It's a HUGE job and not my actual job at all... at least the building has AC (altho that didn't stop me from sweating my ass off!)... My back is killing me from standing/walking on that concrete and prying stacked rubbermaid garbage cans apart... 

Anyway, that's my whine for today... I'm tired of poultry, I don't like ground meat and if I never see another black industrial style garbage can again it'll be too soon... oh wait... tomorrow.... ya, that's too soon!

12 hours ago, emilyelowe said:

@Delicacious My browser did that when I first started this chain, too! I couldn't figure out how to delete it, but it eventually disappeared, so I assumed @SugarcubeOD took care of it. 

I'm no mod, but if you only had meat and zoodles, it seems likely you're both not eating enough and definitely not having enough fat. I feel like zucchini is basically crunchy water, so even if you felt like you had a filling amount, it could be not enough calories which I think could make you dizzy. I have definitely felt that way after not eating enough. It's tricky sometimes when we are eating nutritious food to make room in our bellies for enough calories. (I mean, I don't have this problem, but I hear other people do. :P) Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks @emilyelowe. I did feel full after the meal, and it was a zucchini so I thought that was sufficient. The meat was pretty fatty (or so I thought), but I think you're right - it's not enough. I had sweet potato noodles (swoodles??) with beef curry for dinner, with some other vegetables and that was so much more filling. I think I'm still figuring out the amounts. Sometimes I prepare too much, sometimes too little. 

Day 10 for me today! I'm definitely less bloated but energy levels are still moderately low. I was looking at the timeline and this is really true - "You’re cranky, you’re impatient, and you’re really, really tempted to just eat the stupid cheese." I'm conducting a workshop and every tea break, I look at the cakes and feel tempted. It's a little discouraging. I hope this phase passes. I just got a cheap spiralizer and am playing with it to make zoodles and swoodles. Makes me a little happier eating the food! 

Had a mad rush for breakfast today: 1 bratwurst, 1 half boiled egg, 1/2 avocado, salad leaves, mayo. It's probably too little since I'm hungry at 11am. 4 hours later. Lunch is lemongrass beef curry with cauliflower rice, and more salad. Dinner is probably going to be some dry rubbed ribs. Have a good day everyone!

15 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

It's the end of Day 11 for me!  I can NOT WAIT for this week to be over... all poultry all the time has been brutal! I also realized that I don't really like ground meat in anything other than a chili or casserole... using it to make a hash makes me feel like I"m eating small rocks... it's kind of off putting.. 

This is funny because I prefer ground meat but can't seem to figure out how to eat it all the time and also eat mostly poultry, most of the time. Haha!

Sorry about your rough week! That job sounds like 0 fun. I am excited to meal plan tonight and make time to meal prep this weekend so my week next week is better, too!

Love the word "swoodles," @Delicacious! I am totes going to use that now! 

It definitely sounds to me like you are not having enough fat with either of your "oodle" meals, which may be impacting your energy levels. I don't think meat counts as fat no matter how fatty it is. I'm sure @SugarcubeOD or someone can clarify. I think it's similar to how egg yolks don't really count as fat in a whole meal, even though they obviously contain plenty of fat. 

I also was rushed at breakfast this morning so had sweet potatoes, 3 eggs, and half a banana with cashew butter. There weren't any other vegetables prepped and I didn't have time to cook them. I also didn't WANT any of the other vegetables we had :mellow: so going to have to get creative this coming week. 

You guys, I think I'm going to have to break up with nut butter. :( I haven't had any since last weekend, I think, and I was not feeling stellar a few hours after my breakfast today - a little crampy and bloated. It may still be a little bit of the period talking but I have a feeling it was more my overly starchy + nut butter breakfast. Argh. I also didn't have any kombucha yesterday, which I had the two previous days, but it seems unlikely that that new item would impact my digestion already. Not sure. 

I had my magnesium closer to bed time last night but still slept really well through the night so I'm thinking the improved sleep is probably just coming from being further into the Whole30. 

Lunch is a burger, half an avocado, swoodle bun ( ;) ), broccoli fritters, and a peach. Also planning to try the apricot LaCroix today. I think dinner tonight will be a spicy asian-y beef meal from Blue Apron, unless my brother arrives before dinner and we have an extra mouth to feed. 

I'm really trying to live up my weekends this month, since my husband and I have been so busy, so I'm having even LESS motivation to cook than usual (which is saying something). I'm really hoping to come up with some easy, not too messy, but still delicious and interesting recipes for next week. Is that really asking for all that much!? :lol:

I'm also getting a manicure with my sister-in-law tomorrow, so hopefully that will feel like an almost-to-the-half-way-point treat. Happy Day 11 (for me)!

11 minutes ago, emilyelowe said:

You guys, I think I'm going to have to break up with nut butter. :( I haven't had any since last weekend, I think, and I was not feeling stellar a few hours after my breakfast today - a little crampy and bloated. It may still be a little bit of the period talking but I have a feeling it was more my overly starchy + nut butter breakfast. Argh. I also didn't have any kombucha yesterday, which I had the two previous days, but it seems unlikely that that new item would impact my digestion already. Not sure. 

Ugh, sad, I have this same issue with nut butter. And I really enjoy it too! I feel your pain, sister -- it bloats me up and gives me a tummy ache. I can tolerate about a tablespoon, but that's hard for me because I always want more. 

Question -- are you new to kombucha? If you have only just recently introduced it to your diet, I would suggest starting with only a couple of ounces per serving, and work your way up to larger amounts. It takes some time for the gut to adjust to it. :)

Today is day 8 for me...I think? I don't know. I haven't really been counting because I'm doing it for 60 days so... ;) So, currently, my husband is back in Alaska for a week, and I am in Georgia with my wonderful toddler monster and two dog monsters...and I'm trying to get us settled into our apartment. Our apartment is above my husband's grandparents' barn, and it's completely (overly) furnished, so I'm having to work on making it ours. My husband's aunt is helping me, but it's SO much work, and I feel like my brain is just in over drive trying to get everything done and applying for jobs AND focusing so much on food. I am completely out of ready to go fat today. So, when my daughter wakes up we are going to the store! But I really, really, really need to do some prep for next week this weekend. What are your favorite resources for EASY meals (either crockpot or 30min meals!)?? Because I truly hate cooking, and I often have to wear my daughter on my back while I'm cooking... I'm also game for any favorite sauces with relatively cheap ingredients (no income currently!) that I can prep this weekend and have throughout the week!

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, ldmcniel said:

Today is day 8 for me...I think? I don't know. I haven't really been counting because I'm doing it for 60 days so... ;) So, currently, my husband is back in Alaska for a week, and I am in Georgia with my wonderful toddler monster and two dog monsters...and I'm trying to get us settled into our apartment. Our apartment is above my husband's grandparents' barn, and it's completely (overly) furnished, so I'm having to work on making it ours. My husband's aunt is helping me, but it's SO much work, and I feel like my brain is just in over drive trying to get everything done and applying for jobs AND focusing so much on food. I am completely out of ready to go fat today. So, when my daughter wakes up we are going to the store! But I really, really, really need to do some prep for next week this weekend. What are your favorite resources for EASY meals (either crockpot or 30min meals!)?? Because I truly hate cooking, and I often have to wear my daughter on my back while I'm cooking... I'm also game for any favorite sauces with relatively cheap ingredients (no income currently!) that I can prep this weekend and have throughout the week!

Sauces: the green chili/cilantro sauce and the tahini sauce from this recipe... https://hanadykitchen.com/2017/01/19/roasted-cauliflower-and-aubergine-with-dukkah-and-chili-cilantro-sauce/

Mayo mixed with a touch of sesame oil

Pesto would be realtively inexpensive... pine nuts are normally the nut used but you can find many different pestos that would be cheaper... this one uses pecans http://www.twoplacesatonceblog.com/whole30-pesto/

This chimichurri sauce: https://stupideasypaleo.com/2016/05/14/chimichurri-sauce-recipe/

Thanks @SugarcubeOD for all the suggestions! I'll take a look at those tonight! 

I went to the store and got some ready to go fats...cashews, almond butter, cashew butter, avocados, primal kitchen ranch. I also picked up some Lara bars just for emergencies (which unfortunately tend to happen more than they should because mom brain). Now I just need to make some sauces. I also divided my cashews into closed fist sized snack bags because I have ZERO self control with cashews in an open container. Now they're divided into single portions! :) 

I think my goal this week is to just be more prepared. Have some back up lunch items ready to go. Have some dinners already made that can be used in a pinch. Prep my breakfast casserole (seriously a life saver). I've been having too many "emergencies" lately because I haven't been prepared because I didn't think ahead...like I said above - mom brain. It's the worst. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, ldmcniel said:

Thanks @SugarcubeOD for all the suggestions! I'll take a look at those tonight! 

I went to the store and got some ready to go fats...cashews, almond butter, cashew butter, avocados, primal kitchen ranch. I also picked up some Lara bars just for emergencies (which unfortunately tend to happen more than they should because mom brain). Now I just need to make some sauces. I also divided my cashews into closed fist sized snack bags because I have ZERO self control with cashews in an open container. Now they're divided into single portions! :) 

I think my goal this week is to just be more prepared. Have some back up lunch items ready to go. Have some dinners already made that can be used in a pinch. Prep my breakfast casserole (seriously a life saver). I've been having too many "emergencies" lately because I haven't been prepared because I didn't think ahead...like I said above - mom brain. It's the worst. 

Sorry to be a buzz kill here but nuts and their products are meant to be limited... we say the metric of that is a closed handful of nuts every other day at most, but they're really not meant to even be eaten that often... stick harder to your avocados and the ranch dressing and try and steer clear of the nuts.  The other thing is, altho you say you have mom brain, lara bars can cause emergencies... Like you're laying in bed and you think 'oh, I should get some hardboiled eggs together with an avocado because I think it's going to be a crazy day; eh, forget it, I have larabars.... If you can plan for emergencies with larabars, you can plan for emergencies with tinned tuna, hardboiled eggs, leftover roasted chicken etc... Really try and get those dried fruit and nut bars and the nut butters off the radar of available... they can be a slippery slope and we've read stories of hundreds of people who come back to the Whole30 a second time and say they're doing it again because they relied too heavily on nuts, nut butters, dried fruit, larabars etcv... and didn't feel the magic they could have... 

Good for you for recognizing your limits around cashews tho... most people have a hard time especially with cashews because they're the carbiest of the nuts...

Day 12 at a close.

hope everyone is absorbing all Whole 30 is giving them. Today I had to break my day down in 30 minute moments.

havent "snacked" in 3 days!! That's a big deal for me.

keep it up fam!

2 mondays left!  I got this

Thanks for all the support. 

Day 13 for me.  This week did not go as well as the first week. 

Areas that need improvement - increase water, decrease nuts (thinking about giving them up for reminder of W30), only eat when sitting, lunch must always be a real meal instead of a snacky meal, don't eat between meals unless I am hungry.

Positive - No cravings.  W30 always eliminates all my cravings.

Considering going beyond 30 days but I know  reintroduction is important.  I have done many W30s but never did reintroduction.  The only foods I want to introduce are rice (sushi) and steal cut oats.  I gave up wheat years ago; I never eat legumes, I never drink alcohol.  I am not supposed to eat dairy due to intestinal issues but I sometimes eat ice cream.  I already know ice cream is not a good choice for me.  Since it takes more than 30 days to develop new habits (I believe I read it takes 66 days) and my goal is lasting changes, maybe adding a week or two would be beneficial. 

Hello Slayers, 

I blew it on day 10. Blatantly let my emotions get the better of me. Got the results of my catscan Friday, and there is a tumor growing again in my nose (had it first removed last Oct.). It is benign for now, but left alone it would both continue to grow and most likely turn cancerous- so more surgery in September. I am also scheduled to have the last of my breast reconstruction surgery in Sept. I am just sick of the ongoing medical issues that seem to arise everytime I am feeling my best. It just has a way of sucking the tiger blood right out of me. It didn't help that I got my lupron injection on Thursday. I take it monthly because the breast cancer was estrogen positive and the goal is to suppress all estrogen. One of the side effects is mood swings and I was swinging high on Friday. Went to the diner for lunch and had a gyro with fries... as if that was supposed to make everything better. 

So, the good news, I am done with my pity party and ready to face the medical challenges head on, compared to what I've been thru, this is a walk in the park! This too shall pass! 

WIN: I actually stopped at the gyro and fries, didn't fall down the rabbit hole and by dinner time I was eating whole and healthy again. 

PLAN: There will be a strict whole 30 in my future, but for now I will stay as close to template as I can, but I am going to ease up on myself just a little bit until I get thru the surgeries. I will continue to follow along cuz I love this thread and find it very inspirational.

Happy Saturday Everyone!!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Susabella627 said:

Hello Slayers, 

I blew it on day 10. Blatantly let my emotions get the better of me. Got the results of my catscan Friday, and there is a tumor growing again in my nose (had it first removed last Oct.). It is benign for now, but left alone it would both continue to grow and most likely turn cancerous- so more surgery in September. I am also scheduled to have the last of my breast reconstruction surgery in Sept. I am just sick of the ongoing medical issues that seem to arise everytime I am feeling my best. It just has a way of sucking the tiger blood right out of me. It didn't help that I got my lupron injection on Thursday. I take it monthly because the breast cancer was estrogen positive and the goal is to suppress all estrogen. One of the side effects is mood swings and I was swinging high on Friday. Went to the diner for lunch and had a gyro with fries... as if that was supposed to make everything better. 

So, the good news, I am done with my pity party and ready to face the medical challenges head on, compared to what I've been thru, this is a walk in the park! This too shall pass! 

WIN: I actually stopped at the gyro and fries, didn't fall down the rabbit hole and by dinner time I was eating whole and healthy again. 

PLAN: There will be a strict whole 30 in my future, but for now I will stay as close to template as I can, but I am going to ease up on myself just a little bit until I get thru the surgeries. I will continue to follow along cuz I love this thread and find it very inspirational.

Happy Saturday Everyone!!

I'm so sorry you're going through this, medical stuff sucks... F*&k cancer!  Allow me to be that super annoying friend that lists the silver lining in everything... maybe this medical stuff was going to happen anyway and the fact that it's happening when you feel good means that you've got some wiggle room... I mean, if you were bloated, stiff, cranky and couldn't sleep for months on end and THEN you got the medical stuff, that would suuuuck... but you're somewhat energetic, well fuelled, good attitude etc... ya, it sucks that this has to come and spoil the party but you're so much better equipped to deal with it than if you weren't here being healthy and happy.... 

Thanks @SugarcubeOD  - your words are so true!! I had done my first whole 30 in March of 2015 resulting in an almost 45 lb weight loss by October of that year. I was feeling better and more healthy then I had in my entire adult life... and that's when I was diagnosed with cancer. I am convinced that the healthy state I was in helped me to get thru the double mastectomy, the 4 months of chemo and the 6 weeks of radiation with relative ease. The dr. also said that they caught the cancer at a stage 2 and if I hadn't lost that weight it might not have been picked up by the mammogram... so yeah there is a silver lining in there. 

What really aggravates me though is I have not been able to get back to feeling the way I did right before the cancer. I have come close, but never as good as it was since my first whole 30. I'm sure the meds I have to take have something to do with it as well as a few medical issues along the way (kidney stone, infection, peripheral neuropathy, lymphedema, left shoulder impingement etc..)  but I am determined to get back to that state and these little detours might slow me down but I refuse to let them derail me!!

@Laurie Great to hear from you again. Like you, I too need to drink more water. I've discovered that my occasional dizziness sometimes has got to do with insufficient water. And thumbs up on the no snacking! :) 

@Susabella627 Your attitude is really inspirational - staying as positive as you can despite all the health challenges. Keep going gal!

Day 12 today for me. Definitely not as tired but not feeling tremendously energetic either. Body is still aching a little. And the cravings. Yesterday some friends came over and they brought along with them chocolate cake, macadamia nut bars (with sugar) and a whole lot of forbidden foods. I knew I wasn't about to eat them but oh that inward churning. And I don't even like nut bars! Grrrr........ Breakfast was a nice warm bowl of chilli with avocado so I feel better. Made a batch of beef bone broth yesterday for stews etc. I need to get about food prep for next week. I'm cooking up 2 kg of pulled pork tonight for family, and I hope I have tons of leftovers for next week. 

Fridge stock currently: 3 hamburger patties, some zucchini and prawn patties, 4 homemade sausage patties, some tuna sweet potato cakes and 3 boxes of paleo chilli. I'm probably going to make a batch of cauliflower tabouleh, roast some zucchini and butternut/pumpkin for fridge stock. My husband eats... alot. 

On 8/4/2017 at 0:26 PM, SweetEnough said:

Question -- are you new to kombucha? If you have only just recently introduced it to your diet, I would suggest starting with only a couple of ounces per serving, and work your way up to larger amounts. It takes some time for the gut to adjust to it. :)

I am new to it and have been having probably 6-8 oz. per day? It seems to be OK - for the most part my digestion has been the same so far. Not better, not worse. Thanks for the tip! 

• Moderators

Happy Sunday and for those who are celebrating this weekend, HAPPY PRIDE!!

I'm going to America this evening to hit up Target and Trader Joes... I need my Dasani White Peach sparkling water and TJ's Joe Dark for my cold brew factory!  I saw in the Trader Joe flyer that they have Nutritional Yeast on sale and I was thinking of trying it but wondering if others have used it and what you thought?  I don't want to buy it just to waste it... 

On the menu this week is Scotch Eggs with Horseradish Mayo, sausage and veggie hash, something to do with the pile of red snapper I had to freeze last week thanks to poultry gate and a bunch of raw veggies, salad greens and ranch dip because it is too hot here to leave the oven on to roast veggies... doing the scotch eggs is already probably going to kill me!

It's a long weekend here in British Columbia so I don't have to work tomorrow!  Thank goodness because if I have to see any more pallets full of garbage cans, I"m going to lose my mind... we placed around 750-800 garbage and recycling bins into all the patient rooms and support spaces last week... it was like a workout... it was miles of walking and pulling those stacks of plastic cans apart (thanks static and suction) was a serious upper body workout!

On 8/4/2017 at 1:18 PM, ldmcniel said:

I love the red pepper sauce from the original Whole30 book and find I can put it on everything. I've found jarred roasted red peppers for pretty cheap too. Also, if you have more time this weekend vs. next or something I also like to freeze sauces in ice cube trays so they last and are ready to go even when I'm not thinking ahead. 

I also often make the carnitas from the W30 book in the slow cooker without even searing it so that's a good easy meal. I basically live off different kinds of "bowls." I just make a bunch of meat and vegetables in the slow cooker and eat them with a fat and sometimes lettuce. That's my plan this week at least. 

Archived