I'm on Day 13 of my first Whole30, and I am slumping hard.  I've experienced some afternoon sluggishness on previous days, but today I've been foggy, tired, etc, since this morning.  

There happen to be some dates in my office leftover from a party, and I ate two to jump start an energy boost, but I REALLY don't want to make that a regular thing, since that's what I would do with a cookie, chips, etc, to wake myself back up in the afternoon in my pre-whole30 days.  

Here's what I've had to eat today so far:

Breakfast: 2 nom nom paleo's Proscuitto Egg cups, hand full of strawberries, hand full of blueberries w/coconut flakes sprinkled on top

Morning Snack (I haven't needed most days, but I had some stomach rumbling around 10:30 am) : 2 hard boiled eggs

Lunch: 1 chicken thigh with skin on, 1 sweet potato, rest of plate filled with green beans (i Had a second chicken thigh with me, but I got full so I stopped eating)

Plus the two dates I ate in response to my crash...

Liquids:

2 12 oz cans of mango La Croix

1 Large mug of organic ginger green tea (it didn't help)

1 32 oz Yeti full of water (working on my second for the day now.  I am to drink two throughout my work day)

Thanks!

• Moderators

Ya, so you're not really eating enough... at all... 

Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... so you're short by 1-2.  I also don't see any veggies?  So that's short by about 2-3 cooked cups...

The morning snack is because of the light breakfast, but good choice of snack!

Chicken thighs are not that big... is the chicken thigh as big as your palm?  I would say you could have eaten the second thigh... starchy carbs are recommended to be a fist sized serving, so maybe you were a bit over on the starch or perhaps your morning snack was too close to your lunch?  Two thighs, a fist size of starch and green beans (fat??) shoudln't have been too much to make you excessively full.  Instead of the dates, the leftover chicken thigh would have been a good choice but I also see you're short on fat so all these things combined are likely why you're slumping...

Fizzy water can really fill you up (bloat) so maybe until you have your meals down, leave off the carbonation.

The egg cups (made in muffin tin)  have spinach, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes inside, but probably not enough to fill my plate.  They're wrapped in prosciutto, cooked with lots of coconut oil throughout the process of making them.  They're convenient to heat up in the mornings, and when I ate them on week 1, 2 "muffins" with fruit filled me up, and I thought were still getting the job done this week when I made them again.  Not sure what else I can add to them to balance out breakfast.

I had my snack 1.5 hours before lunch.  The chicken thigh was probably as big as my hand, the sweet potato was long but skinny, so was maybe a little over a fist.  The leftover bit of green beans from last night's dinner were cooked in olive oil, but to make sure I had enough veggies to round out, I just added frozen green beans to my tupperware this morning to heat up at lunch time without cooking them in any fat.  

"Two thighs, a fist size of starch and green beans (fat??) shoudln't have been too much to make you excessively full."  - I've been confused about this as well.  The idea of eating to "satiety".  Does that mean when I feel full and satisfied?  Or do I need to be eating until I feel excessively full?  My stomach isn't really giving me obvious hunger cues like it used to since I started the program.  Some days I've continued eating until I clean my plate even though I feel full to make sure I'm getting enough of everything, and am not snacking between meals.  Sometimes I feel fine doing that, some days I've regretted it, and today with the chicken, it seemed like a lot to me at the time.  

Thanks again for your help!   

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, sdoherty said:

The egg cups (made in muffin tin)  have spinach, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes inside, but probably not enough to fill my plate.  They're wrapped in prosciutto, cooked with lots of coconut oil throughout the process of making them.  They're convenient to heat up in the mornings, and when I ate them on week 1, 2 "muffins" with fruit filled me up, and I thought were still getting the job done this week when I made them again.  Not sure what else I can add to them to balance out breakfast.

I had my snack 1.5 hours before lunch.  The chicken thigh was probably as big as my hand, the sweet potato was long but skinny, so was maybe a little over a fist.  The leftover bit of green beans from last night's dinner were cooked in olive oil, but to make sure I had enough veggies to round out, I just added frozen green beans to my tupperware this morning to heat up at lunch time without cooking them in any fat.  

"Two thighs, a fist size of starch and green beans (fat??) shoudln't have been too much to make you excessively full."  - I've been confused about this as well.  The idea of eating to "satiety".  Does that mean when I feel full and satisfied?  Or do I need to be eating until I feel excessively full?  My stomach isn't really giving me obvious hunger cues like it used to since I started the program.  Some days I've continued eating until I clean my plate even though I feel full to make sure I'm getting enough of everything, and am not snacking between meals.  Sometimes I feel fine doing that, some days I've regretted it, and today with the chicken, it seemed like a lot to me at the time.  

Thanks again for your help!   

Hey there - No, you're not expected to eat until you're excessively full, however it's not unreasonable that the amount of food listed would be a proper meal size.  That being said, depending on how you used to eat, it CAN feel like a lot of food.  If you're comfortable going 4-5 hours between meals without snacking then you can definitely trust your hunger and satiety signals, however if you constantly feel stuffed and then starving two hours later, it's a sign that either your hormones are out of whack or your meals need to be a bit better balanced... or it could be both.

Try and make each meal match the template (add fat, the cooking fat is generally not counted)... the fact that the egg muffins did fine for you for a week an now they're not enough could be because nutrition is cummulative and you might be a bit low if that's what you've been eating :)

Just keep going with the template, get those fats in and I think you're doing okay :)

Archived