Persistent Diarrhea after re-intro

Brit1386

Ok, forgive me for the graphic descriptions and I am sorry if this has been addressed already. I could not find anything that specifically focuses on post program bowel problems. Especially when there weren't any during the round. Throughout my 30 days I followed everything to the T.  I remain 100% compliant to this day minus the 4 re-intro days and a 5th day where I ate half  of a twix stick (out of 4 sticks) - this was the first time I had sugar in 49 days but it was after I was already having the problems so I don't think it is related.  During whole30 my bathroom time was not the best but not the worst.  I actually had relatively solid movements (sometimes not but not diarrhea) and pretty regular movements.  This is different for me as I have suffered from constipation and IBS since I was a child. I expected this to happen with such a drastic diet change and it was welcomed.  After whole30 I did reintroduction and everything effected me minimally (mostly bloating, gas, acheyness)... until dairy.   Dairy hit me HARD.  My belly threw a giant temper tantrum and I struggled for 5 days with persistent diarrhea daily.  Multiple trips to the bathroom and no substance what so ever.  I drink lots of water though I don't exactly count how much.  My meals since whole30 have gotten smaller because it seems that if I eat too much or honestly eat at all it makes my stomach upset.  I keep them mostly compliant to the template  though. On the 5th day I decided to try a probiotic and a digestive enzyme.  I researched and got the 50billion ultra jarrodophilus and the garden of life raw enzymes for women.  The day after that I felt great, no multiple trips to the bathroom, but by the end of the day I did still have diarrhea.  For the last few days after starting the supplements I continue to have diarrhea about once or twice a day. It has been 9 days since dairy re-intro. 

I typically have over easy eggs in the morning with some sort of veggie and avocado or ranch or pesto.  If I am in a hurry and can't cook I will have applesauce or grapes and some cashews but this doesn't happen a lot maybe twice in the last 9 days.

my lunch usually consists of dinner leftovers which have been:

buffalo chicken salad (buffalo sauce from book, small amount of onion and mushroom, chicken, romaine and home made ranch)

swai (fish) with garlic lemon ghee topping, chipotle seasoning, zoodles and cauliflower alfredo (cauliflower, garlic, onion, nutritional yeast, chicken broth, coconut cream)

I do not snack.  I do drink kombucha on occasion - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a bottle once or twice a week (typically GT's Trilogy), and I don't really eat fruit other than the occasional hurried breakfast.

sometimes after I eat (since reintroduction) my stomach becomes rumbly and I feel a bit nauseous and gassy. 

I am thinking I need to eliminate nuts for awhile just to see, but I don't really know if this is the overall problem as I was eating these during the round as well.

All of these major, questionable, annoying problems started after whole30 re-intro...

Should I just keep waiting it out?  Is this just a delayed detox?  I am getting very frustrated and so sick of having to go to the bathroom all the time!

Thanks for any help you can give!

When you had the issues with dairy, did you just do dairy for one day and then go back to Whole30 right after?  Did you continue reintroducing other things, even with the persistent digestive issues?  Sometimes, if you have a really bad reaction, it can take awhile for your system to get it all out and reset itself.  Many people do find they have issues with dairy after being on Whole30.  I wasn't nearly as bad as what you describe, but dairy now makes my stomach uneasy, full-feeling, nauseous, etc.  I've narrowed it down to cheese moreso than other dairy, but I'm basically avoiding dairy altogether now.

I would think it might be worthwhile to go back to Whole30 compliance until ALL symptoms are gone.  Then give dairy one more try.  If it affects you like this again, you probably have your culprit.  Then, go back to Whole30 completely again until all symptoms are gone before reintroducing anything else.  Sounds like you would benefit from doing the "slow roll" reintro instead of the "fast track".

• 7 months later...

Brit, I have has some similar issues, while I don't have any digestive tract diagnoses I have had constant issues with diarrhea/gas/bloating on a daily basis for a few years now. These were nearly gone during whole 30, I had very regular BM, every morning without fail during the circuit, while they still weren't perfectly solid it was a much improvement from pre-Whole30. On my first dairy introduction day and after having cream in my coffee, a cream based dip with cheese, and crab with butter for dinner I was feeling perfect, My stomach was fine. no bloating, no gas nothing. Then came the problems, a glass of milk at night to really test this because I thought dairy would be a problem and it seemed to be a non-issue, and within an hour I was cramping and bloating and now I have had diarrhea ever since. This seems to be a bit of a severe reaction to something I was consuming regularly before. Now a few days later back on whole30 food and this is still persisting and I am a bit worried! Hoping this fades soon!!

• 11 months later...

I didn’t deviate from the program for 30 days but on day 31 I introduced cheese, wine, and chocolate cake because a friend gave me a birthday luncheon. The next day I had pancakes and syrup and today I had ice cream.  Now my stomach aches, my head aches and I have diarrhea. What should I do?  I don’t think I could stand another 30 days although I felt very good while I was following the program. 

@Golfnut79 It sounds like you might've overdone it a bit there. Reintroduction isn't intended to be several things all together, straight in a row. It's laid out so that you're reintroducing one food group at a time, and returning to complete Whole30 compliance for at least a couple of days in between "tests" so your body can recover. My suggestion would be to return to complete compliance long enough to feel better again (this probably won't take 30 days, but no guarantee on what your body needs) before you test anything else... and I'd suggest doing a single-group test day for the things you introduced in conjunction with each other so you get a better idea of how each one affects you on its own. I realize that 30 days feels like a long time, especially if you've let go of foods that you love(d), but bringing back multiple things all together right after an elimination diet of any type isn't something I'd ever advise.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Golfnut79 said:

Thank you.  I needed advice but didn't want to do whole30 for another 30.  I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by doing a single-group test day.  Please explain and thank you again. 

Check out the reintroduction instructions:  http://whole9life.com/2012/02/supplement-evaluation-checklist/ -- each group of things you've left out for whole30, like legumes, dairy, gluten, would each get a separate day of reintroduction, so you have a better idea of which items cause issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Brit1389 

i have the same problem was on whole30 for 37 days. Reintroduced Foods 5 days on to the next food of reintroduction. I have morning bouts of diarrhea I kept a log,  dairy was a problem. Having Dairy just that once triggered having diarrhea and I continue to have the problem.  Going to see my natural path dr. To find out why this continues to happen. I hope by Now as I see this is dated back it 2017 you where able to solve your issue 

Archived