Trail Mix Recipe ??

AndieK

Does anyone have a good trail mix recipe that is simple and quick to make? The boyfriend and I are taking the dog to the lake to go hiking and play fetch, where all of us out for the weekend and soak in some sun rays. We will be traveling a good hour's drive to get to the point, so I want to go prepared and make us a trail mix to munch on to keep our energy levels up. As of tomorrow, he will be on day 6 and I will be on day 4 slash 6 of the Whole30. We don't need anything fancy, I prefer to not have anything super salty. So far all I have come up with is making my own banana chips with lemon juice, buying some raw cashews, raw walnuts, dried dates, dried cranberries, shaved coconut, and maybe one other raw form of nuts. I've looked up a few recipes online that say whole30 friendly but there are ingredients I'm not sure about, like maple syrup, honey, cinnamon, or non-dairy chocolates....If could find non-dairy chocolates and use those, I would be in heaven! 

I would love to hear some of your ideas please :)

• Moderators
1 minute ago, AndieK said:

Does anyone have a good trail mix recipe that is simple and quick to make? The boyfriend and I are taking the dog to the lake to go hiking and play fetch, where all of us out for the weekend and soak in some sun rays. We will be traveling a good hour's drive to get to the point, so I want to go prepared and make us a trail mix to munch on to keep our energy levels up. As of tomorrow, he will be on day 6 and I will be on day 4 slash 6 of the Whole30. We don't need anything fancy, I prefer to not have anything super salty. So far all I have come up with is making my own banana chips with lemon juice, buying some raw cashews, raw walnuts, dried dates, dried cranberries, shaved coconut, and maybe one other raw form of nuts. I've looked up a few recipes online that say whole30 friendly but there are ingredients I'm not sure about, like maple syrup, honey, cinnamon, or non-dairy chocolates....If could find non-dairy chocolates and use those, I would be in heaven! 

I would love to hear some of your ideas please :)

Okay a couple things... first of all, even if you could find dairy free chocolate, it would not be allowed on the program. Also you're right, honey and maple syrup are not allowed... things you find on the internet called 'whole30' are often not, so you do have to be suspicious (as you were!)  Second, you would be MUCH better served trying to think of actual food to take... hardboiled eggs, cold cooked chicken, roasted veggies, olives... Consider the timing of what you're doing that day.  Eat breakfast and then you have 4-5 hours before your next meal... if your next meal falls while you're out at the lake, then you'd want the actual food as I've listed.  If you're doing this between meals and you're going to be home for meal times, then consider that yes, maybe you need a mini meal since you'll be exerting yourself, but again, hand to mouth snacking on fruit and nuts is not actually going to help you... 

If you choose to go ahead with the trail mix, remember that the recommendation for nuts and seeds is a closed handful every other day at most so that's like 8 almonds and dried fruit can cause digestive upset as well as wake up a sleeping sugar dragon.  Real food is always a better option :)

Just now, SugarcubeOD said:

Okay a couple things... first of all, even if you could find dairy free chocolate, it would not be allowed on the program. Also you're right, honey and maple syrup are not allowed... things you find on the internet called 'whole30' are often not, so you do have to be suspicious (as you were!)  Second, you would be MUCH better served trying to think of actual food to take... hardboiled eggs, cold cooked chicken, roasted veggies, olives... Consider the timing of what you're doing that day.  Eat breakfast and then you have 4-5 hours before your next meal... if your next meal falls while you're out at the lake, then you'd want the actual food as I've listed.  If you're doing this between meals and you're going to be home for meal times, then consider that yes, maybe you need a mini meal since you'll be exerting yourself, but again, hand to mouth snacking on fruit and nuts is not actually going to help you... 

If you choose to go ahead with the trail mix, remember that the recommendation for nuts and seeds is a closed handful every other day at most so that's like 8 almonds and dried fruit can cause digestive upset as well as wake up a sleeping sugar dragon.  Real food is always a better option :)

It probably will be over our lunch hour. I thought about packing us a lunch instead because the boyfriend is ALWAYS hungry! And I don't want the fun cut short because he's hungry and wants to go home and have me get dinner going early. Ha. Eggs and olives are a start, but chicken and roasted veggies are what we are actually having for dinner tomorrow night. I'm roasting a whole chicken for the carcass to make broth. 

Archived