Salmon AND eggs???

Lisa Maire

On many of the W30 recipe pages (FB, Pinterest, IG) I see recipes that have salmon along with hard-boiled eggs in a meal. I'm a little confused in meal planning as I thought the salmon would count for the protein portion. Why would the eggs be added along with it?

Thanks for your help!!!

Yes.  They both count towards your protein portion.   Eggs are added along with it because some people (me included) don't like to eat 4 eggs (that's how many fit in my hand).  I like to have 2 eggs plus some other form of protein (salmon cake, pork sausage, ground beef patty, chicken thigh, etc) for breakfast to make it more interesting and to ensure I get enough protein with my morning meal.  

It's also easier on the budget. It's a lot less expensive to get good quality eggs (like a dozen for $5 vs $8 for one palm sized portion of salmon). So you can still get some great salmon and enjoy the benefits of the fish while being friendlier to your wallet. 

You never have to select one protein and force yourself to eat a full serving's worth at mealtime if that doesn't work for you. I don't like eggs enough to eat more than 2 at a meal, so I supplement with a sausage link or homemade sausage patty or whatever other protein I have kicking around in the fridge. Other people might not like a lot of meat at one time, so do half a palm of meat and 2 eggs. Gets all the protein in without forcing you to "choke down" anything. Whole30 isn't about eating foods that you have to "choke down". 

Archived