Day 30 Results

nicky05

Confession: I have tried the Whole30 before. 

I say “tried” and not “completed” because I see now how out of compliance my meals were. I had a breakfast of an RX Bar, a pre workout of prosciutto and walnuts…I also trained for a half marathon at the time and did intense circuit training and it was a rough month. It was a white-knuckling kind of month and I got nothing out of it. Nothing. It triggered disordered eating tendencies (from being starving all the time) and things I had not been doing since high school I started doing again. I ended up gaining weight in the weeks that followed. 

That was in 2013. So why did I come back? 

I felt out of control. I’m living totally alone for the first time in my adult life and I felt like my food habits were just getting worse and worse. No meal prep was happening, I was skipping lunches all the time and then going crazy at dinner. I was pouring myself a glass (or two) of wine 4 or 5 nights a week. I was bloated, I was lazy, I needed to do something dramatic. Also, my digestion seemed to be getting worse and worse. 

I’m an abstainer. 

Now, the Whole30 taught me a lot this time around. Some things I knew and it just reinforced and some things were brand new information to me. I wrote this list before I weighed myself this morning. 

Things I learned from my Whole30: 

• I overeat. Especially when I am alone and bored. I’m always wandering into the kitchen wondering what I could pull out just to munch on. I have to be aware of it. 
  • I eat too late at night. Not waking up hungry is the result of my after dinner popcorn/chip/chocolate snack. I justify it because it’s low calorie but I don’t need it by any stretch of the imagination. The Whole 30 was the first time I felt really hungry for breakfast. 
  • I use wine as a transition from work to home. It’s my reward after a long day. (And my days have been LONG this month, trust me.) 
  • I was fat phobic and still am to a degree. I want to go get my cholesterol tested, no matter how many peer-reviewed/meta analyses articles you show me stating dietary cholesterol does not impact serum cholesterol. I’m a (not practicing) registered dietitian. It’s ingrained in me still. 
  • Not weighing myself was hard, but not as hard as I thought it would be. I surprisingly almost broke only twice. 
  • I might be intolerant to garlic (#sadface)
  • I feel weird asking for what I want at restaurants. I’m a paying customer and none of my requests are unreasonable, but I get anxiety having to order food, no matter how cool or indifferent everyone around me is. I went out for dinner with a work colleague and then friends and both times they had their own specific requests and had to give me a little nudge to ask for substitutions instead of just making do and probably starving myself. I hope I get better at this. 
  • I don’t need sugar in my coffee, coconut milk is delicious and good coffee black is satisfying. The only time I want an almond milk latte is when I’ve had a coffee for the day and just want a mid-day “treat”. 
  • I don’t drink enough water but when I do I feel a lot better 
  • Despite not weighing myself all month, I’m not over the scale. I have been having anxiety for days knowing I have to step on it (Note: I know I don’t have to, but I will. I want to know and I also don’t.) 
  • I still struggle with eating to satiety. I eat what’s on my plate. 

Now, for some NSVs: 

• Glowing skin (according to a coworker) 
  • Less pronounced under eye circles
  • Stronger nails 
  • Flatter stomach
  • Leaner appearance
  • Less bloating
  • Feeling more confident in appearance
  • Fewer PMS symptoms (I have PCOS so this is a big deal)
  • Less stomach pain 
  • Less diarrhea 
  • Less constipation 
  • Less gas
  • Improved regularity
  • Fewer seasonal allergies (maybe related to the changing time of year, but definitely better now) 
  • Feeling in control of your food
  • Fewer carb cravings
  • Fewer sugar cravings
  • Improved disordered eating habits
  • More nutrition in my diet
  • Food no longer has unwanted side effects
  • Thinking more clearly 
  • Awaken feeling refreshed 
  • Energy levels more even
  • No more mid day energy slump
  • Need less caffeine 
  • New cooking skills
  • New recipes
  • Meal prep is organized and efficient

AND NOW, for the weight...

I lost 2.6lbs. 

I don’t want to qualify this saying I’m PMS-ing or anything (I am). That doesn’t matter. It’s lower than I expected just seeing how flat my stomach is by comparison. It also explains why none of my clothes really felt looser. I’m on the higher end of a normal BMI and I would like to lose weight. 

Am I disappointed? 

Yes and no. I was a little surprised it was less weight loss than I had anticipated but also, if I can keep eating good amounts of healthy food and eating enough and feeling satisfied…I’m super happy with 2.6lbs. I’m at peace with that number…and I never thought I would be able to say that. 

So what are my plans now? 

Well…I don’t know. I had a reintroduction schedule all laid out and I’m on the fence whether to follow it. I have a big licensing exam tomorrow so I will be having a glass of wine with my friend at dinner afterwards, but I’m kind of at a loss  for what to do beyond that…In some ways, I want to stay on the Whole30 and do a slow roll. 

If you are still reading I’m amazed because I do tend to ramble. I’m very happy I gave the Whole30 another chance. It’s what I needed in so many ways and it’s nice to know I can always come back to it. 

Now, to practice practicing food freedom. :D 

Good luck to everyone completing the program/living the post Whole30 life!

8 hours ago, nicky05 said:

I say “tried” and not “completed” because I see now how out of compliance my meals were. I had a breakfast of an RX Bar, a pre workout of prosciutto and walnuts…I also trained for a half marathon at the time and did intense circuit training and it was a rough month. It was a white-knuckling kind of month and I got nothing out of it. Nothing. It triggered disordered eating tendencies (from being starving all the time) and things I had not been doing since high school I started doing again. I ended up gaining weight in the weeks that followed. 

I felt out of control. I’m living totally alone for the first time in my adult life and I felt like my food habits were just getting worse and worse. No meal prep was happening, I was skipping lunches all the time and then going crazy at dinner. I was pouring myself a glass (or two) of wine 4 or 5 nights a week. I was bloated, I was lazy, I needed to do something dramatic. Also, my digestion seemed to be getting worse and worse. 

I’m an abstainer. 

Now, the Whole30 taught me a lot this time around. Some things I knew and it just reinforced and some things were brand new information to me. I wrote this list before I weighed myself this morning. 

• I overeat. Especially when I am alone and bored. I’m always wandering into the kitchen wondering what I could pull out just to munch on. I have to be aware of it. 
  • I eat too late at night. Not waking up hungry is the result of my after dinner popcorn/chip/chocolate snack. I justify it because it’s low calorie but I don’t need it by any stretch of the imagination. The Whole 30 was the first time I felt really hungry for breakfast. 
  • I use wine as a transition from work to home. It’s my reward after a long day. (And my days have been LONG this month, trust me.) 
  • I was fat phobic and still am to a degree. I want to go get my cholesterol tested, no matter how many peer-reviewed/meta analyses articles you show me stating dietary cholesterol does not impact serum cholesterol. I’m a (not practicing) registered dietitian. It’s ingrained in me still. 
  • Not weighing myself was hard, but not as hard as I thought it would be. I surprisingly almost broke only twice. 
  • I feel weird asking for what I want at restaurants. I’m a paying customer and none of my requests are unreasonable, but I get anxiety having to order food, no matter how cool or indifferent everyone around me is. I went out for dinner with a work colleague and then friends and both times they had their own specific requests and had to give me a little nudge to ask for substitutions instead of just making do and probably starving myself. I hope I get better at this. 
  • I don’t need sugar in my coffee, coconut milk is delicious and good coffee black is satisfying. The only time I want an almond milk latte is when I’ve had a coffee for the day and just want a mid-day “treat”. 
  • Despite not weighing myself all month, I’m not over the scale. I have been having anxiety for days knowing I have to step on it (Note: I know I don’t have to, but I will. I want to know and I also don’t.) 

Now, for some NSVs: 

• Stronger nails 
  • Flatter stomach
  • Leaner appearance
  • Less bloating
  • Less stomach pain 
  • Less diarrhea 
  • Less constipation 
  • Less gas
  • Improved regularity
  • Fewer seasonal allergies (maybe related to the changing time of year, but definitely better now) 
  • Fewer carb cravings
  • Fewer sugar cravings
  • Thinking more clearly 
  • Need less caffeine 
  • New cooking skills
  • New recipes

I lost 2.6lbs. 

I don’t want to qualify this saying I’m PMS-ing or anything (I am). That doesn’t matter. It’s lower than I expected just seeing how flat my stomach is by comparison. It also explains why none of my clothes really felt looser. I’m on the higher end of a normal BMI and I would like to lose weight. 

Am I disappointed? 

Yes and no. I was a little surprised it was less weight loss than I had anticipated but also, if I can keep eating good amounts of healthy food and eating enough and feeling satisfied…I’m super happy with 2.6lbs. I’m at peace with that number…and I never thought I would be able to say that. 

Well…I don’t know. I had a reintroduction schedule all laid out and I’m on the fence whether to follow it. I have a big licensing exam tomorrow so I will be having a glass of wine with my friend at dinner afterwards, but I’m kind of at a loss  for what to do beyond that…In some ways, I want to stay on the Whole30 and do a slow roll. 

If you are still reading I’m amazed because I do tend to ramble. I’m very happy I gave the Whole30 another chance. It’s what I needed in so many ways and it’s nice to know I can always come back to it. 

Amazing insights and observations.

All but maybe 5 of your NSV's...I mirror.  This has been an awesome journey.

I mentioned the cream in my coffee thing in our last thread.  So, can't do cow's milk...probably ANYTHING.  So for lunch, I had a burger with goat cheese on it...no bun, some lettuce and tomato...and decided what the heck.  Some chips.

Listen.  Let me tell you how the whole resets your tastebuds.  I ate one chip...I could TASTE that the oil was rancid.  I ate those chips EVERY DAY for lunch before the Whole.  The guy at the register gave them to me for FREE for making it through my whole 30 (the irony).  Thank goodness, because they went in the garbage.

So far so good.  We may be able to sneak in a bit of goat cheese every now and then.  This is so excitingly scientific!!!  I am changed...for the good...thanks to the whole.

Really...thinking I should give a pass on the ice cream action...

Today is my final Whole30 day--my first.  I read your post and just love the way you organized all your thoughts.  I wanted to post somewhere that I DID it, and have no regrets.  Your lists are wonderful.  I am a writer, editor, and educator.  I realize I should--at this point (day 30)--write reflections about my experience.  But I'm a procrastinator, so although I'm giving myself credit for the success I've achieved on Whole30, I can't write about it because I'm up against a hard deadline for (of all things) an intense performance review.  

I'm ok with not writing my reflections now, because I'm going to stick with this at least another 15 days.  I am loving the changing relationship I have with food and eating habits.  I wasn't going to weigh myself, but I had a doctor's appointment today.  I've shed at least 10 pounds since I started preparing for this about 2 weeks before I set my start date.  I also started walking on a treadmill 20 minutes every morning--just four days ago, but each day I did it, just like Whole30.

Bravo for your accomplishment. I am so happy to have your list of NSVs, because I can match so many of them.  My favorite effect is that I've stopped eating at night and am doing just fine on 3 meals a day.  What I've missed the most is milk in my coffee.  

I'm sticking with this and am so happy to find this community.

On 7/26/2017 at 9:10 AM, nicky05 said:

I’m an abstainer. 

Now, for some NSVs: 

• Stronger nails 
  • Flatter stomach
  • Leaner appearance
  • Less bloating
  • Less stomach pain 
  • Less diarrhea 
  • Less constipation 
  • Less gas
  • Improved regularity
  • Fewer carb cravings
  • Fewer sugar cravings
  • Thinking more clearly 
  • Need less caffeine 
  • New cooking skills
  • New recipes

I lost 2.6lbs. 

Am I disappointed? 

Thank you for this reflective post. Your candidness, honesty, and self awareness benefit all of us. Congratulations and warm regards.

On 2017-07-29 at 2:20 PM, HolliRain said:

Thank you for this reflective post. Your candidness, honesty, and self awareness benefit all of us. Congratulations and warm regards.

On 2017-07-26 at 3:44 PM, Let's Dooooo It! said:

Amazing insights and observations.

All but maybe 5 of your NSV's...I mirror.  This has been an awesome journey.

I mentioned the cream in my coffee thing in our last thread.  So, can't do cow's milk...probably ANYTHING.  So for lunch, I had a burger with goat cheese on it...no bun, some lettuce and tomato...and decided what the heck.  Some chips.

Listen.  Let me tell you how the whole resets your tastebuds.  I ate one chip...I could TASTE that the oil was rancid.  I ate those chips EVERY DAY for lunch before the Whole.  The guy at the register gave them to me for FREE for making it through my whole 30 (the irony).  Thank goodness, because they went in the garbage.

So far so good.  We may be able to sneak in a bit of goat cheese every now and then.  This is so excitingly scientific!!!  I am changed...for the good...thanks to the whole.

Really...thinking I should give a pass on the ice cream action...

On 2017-07-27 at 5:25 PM, FrontierGail said:

Today is my final Whole30 day--my first.  I read your post and just love the way you organized all your thoughts.  I wanted to post somewhere that I DID it, and have no regrets.  Your lists are wonderful.  I am a writer, editor, and educator.  I realize I should--at this point (day 30)--write reflections about my experience.  But I'm a procrastinator, so although I'm giving myself credit for the success I've achieved on Whole30, I can't write about it because I'm up against a hard deadline for (of all things) an intense performance review.  

I'm ok with not writing my reflections now, because I'm going to stick with this at least another 15 days.  I am loving the changing relationship I have with food and eating habits.  I wasn't going to weigh myself, but I had a doctor's appointment today.  I've shed at least 10 pounds since I started preparing for this about 2 weeks before I set my start date.  I also started walking on a treadmill 20 minutes every morning--just four days ago, but each day I did it, just like Whole30.

Bravo for your accomplishment. I am so happy to have your list of NSVs, because I can match so many of them.  My favorite effect is that I've stopped eating at night and am doing just fine on 3 meals a day.  What I've missed the most is milk in my coffee.  

I'm sticking with this and am so happy to find this community.

Thanks so much everyone! So much of this feels like a work in progress even in reintroduction. I have not felt good since Whole30 ended. :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love everything about his post. Congrats on all your NSVs! I too was a little bummed not to have dropped more weight, but I quickly focussed on how much better I feel, and how less bloated I am. As Melissa has written, if you continue to eat well, your body composition will alter for the better, it just might take longer than 30 days. Good luck as you move forward!

Archived