• Moderators

I was asked on another thread about my cold brew system so I thought I'd open a thread here so that if anyone wants to make their own cold brew, this might be helpful.

There are loads and loads of instructions and 'recipes' online but they're mostly written by snobby coffee companies and some are a bit contradictory so here's what I do.

I use a 1 gallon Ball Mason jar (purchased from Target https://www.target.com/p/1-gallon-collector-s-mason-jar-clear-ball-174/-/A-12794404#lnk=sametab)

2 cups of Trader Joe Dark Roast coffee and fill the mason to the shoulder of the jar with cold water... stir as you're filling it up so the grounds get saturated.  

Pop the lid on and stick it in the fridge for 24 hours, stirring once or twice when you remember (or more.. sometimes I leave it for a couple days and it never gets bitter or sour).

When it's done brewing, strain it into a large pitcher (I use a random plastic juice jug I found at a discount store for $5) through a sieve lined with four layers of cheese cloth.

Compost the grounds or spread them in your garden if you're lucky enough to have a garden :)

To serve, I put 1 scoop of Great Lakes Hydrolysate Collagen (available here for both Canada and US), ice cubes and coconut milk into a mason jar and then pour in the coffee and voila!  It's good, cheap and cheerful :) 

22 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

To serve, I put 1 scoop of Great Lakes Hydrolysate Collagen (available here for both Canada and US), ice cubes and coconut milk into a mason jar and the pour in the coffee and voila!  It's good, cheap and cheerful :) 

Wow, thanks for sharing all this. I am going to try! Curious about the Collagen -- is that a powder? Does it add any flavor?

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, SweetEnough said:

Wow, thanks for sharing all this. I am going to try! Curious about the Collagen -- is that a powder? Does it add any flavor?

It's a powder soluble in cold and hot drinks and it adds no flavor at all... there's some info about collagen on the forum and I think there's a blog post about Vital Proteins brand collagen... this is a different brand but the info would be the same... I use it because I had to start some meds last year and they made my hair fall out so it helps keep my hair stronger :)

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:54 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

I was asked on another thread about my cold brew system so I thought I'd open a thread here so that if anyone wants to make their own cold brew, this might be helpful.

There are loads and loads of instructions and 'recipes' online but they're mostly written by snobby coffee companies and some are a bit contradictory so here's what I do.

I use a 1 gallon Ball Mason jar (purchased from Target https://www.target.com/p/1-gallon-collector-s-mason-jar-clear-ball-174/-/A-12794404#lnk=sametab)

2 cups of Trader Joe Dark Roast coffee and fill the mason to the shoulder of the jar with cold water... stir as you're filling it up so the grounds get saturated.  

Pop the lid on and stick it in the fridge for 24 hours, stirring once or twice when you remember (or more.. sometimes I leave it for a couple days and it never gets bitter or sour).

When it's done brewing, strain it into a large pitcher (I use a random plastic juice jug I found at a discount store for $5) through a sieve lined with four layers of cheese cloth.

Compost the grounds or spread them in your garden if you're lucky enough to have a garden :)

To serve, I put 1 scoop of Great Lakes Hydrolysate Collagen (available here for both Canada and US), ice cubes and coconut milk into a mason jar and the pour in the coffee and voila!  It's good, cheap and cheerful :) 

Is this a concentrate, or ready to drink? I've been experimenting with different methods lately, opting for this super easy method more and more!

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, racheleats said:

Is this a concentrate, or ready to drink? I've been experimenting with different methods lately, opting for this super easy method more and more!

I use it straight as ready to drink... If it's a bit strong, then water it down a bit but I usually put a good amount of coconut milk and make it like a cold latte... I find it rather confusing online because some make concentrate and some make ready to drink so I just figured this way out so that there was minimal mucking around and it was to my taste :)

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I use it straight as ready to drink... If it's a bit strong, then water it down a bit but I usually put a good amount of coconut milk and make it like a cold latte... I find it rather confusing online because some make concentrate and some make ready to drink so I just figured this way out so that there was minimal mucking around and it was to my taste :)

YES I get so confused too, usually just go by taste :) You've inspired me to make a homemade almond milk this week to go with mine, so thank you for that!

Archived