SWYPO Question

urbanlady07

On 7/30/2017 at 11:45 AM, ShannonM816 said:

It looks pretty SWYPO to me. 

Thanks! That was what I thought. I'm a part of a support group on Facebook for Whole30 and this keeps getting passed around. I really hate when bloggers take advantage of the Whole30 name to get hits on their site. :(

3 hours ago, amandakristine said:

Thanks! That was what I thought. I'm a part of a support group on Facebook for Whole30 and this keeps getting passed around. I really hate when bloggers take advantage of the Whole30 name to get hits on their site. :(

In doing research to get ready to start my W30, I see this sooo much. It's like playing telephone, the food list gets passed along with none of the actual theory or rules and people create all sorts of things are dub them "Whole 30 compliant" when they're plainly not.

14 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

In doing research to get ready to start my W30, I see this sooo much. It's like playing telephone, the food list gets passed along with none of the actual theory or rules and people create all sorts of things are dub them "Whole 30 compliant" when they're plainly not.

Totally! The most frustrating thing about this specific recipe is that the woman who writes this blog posts on Whole30recipes on instagram. She should know better. 

I'm with you, @The_Maggie. I've now completed my Whole30 but had made this a few times during. I never once thought about it being SWYPO until I saw this thread. Not arguing with the moderator's statement (I hate when people do that), I just always considered it a sweet potato/apple casserole and ate it as a side to my morning eggs. I'm glad this thread wasn't around at the time because it really is delicious. :) 

• Moderators

Looking at this again, I might have been a little hasty and should probably have explained my thinking better here. As a standalone breakfast, which is how the recipe is presented, this is not a great choice, and I feel like people who are having it that way -- as a breakfast, on its own -- are probably trying to find something to take the place of their starchy, sweet breakfasts they were used to before Whole30. If that's the way people are having it, I'd stand by my assessment. Don't try to keep making the kinds of things you're used to always having, try new items, try a new focus for breakfast that matches the template better.

If someone had come here in the fall and said, I'm hosting Thanksgiving dinner and have compliant options for turkey and green beans and there'll be salad and other vegetables, but I really want some kind of sweet potato that isn't the marshmallow-covered candied yams I grew up with, do you think this recipe is a good option -- I'd have probably said, sure, it seems like a fine option for that. It might be a little on the sweet side if you're used to eating Whole30 style for a long period of time, but combined with a meal full of other items, with protein and fat and other vegetables, it more than likely isn't going to wake up your sugar dragon or cause cravings. 

I realize this is one of the reasons some people have an issue with the SWYPO idea, and I hope that this doesn't just further confuse things. 

I think, for me, a large part of the problem is that the blogger is clearly advertising this bake as a complete breakfast for when you have a craving for something sweet at breakfast. Which, for Whole30, is totally not the way to do it.

I think it'd be an incredible Thanksgiving or fancy dinner side, though, like Shannon said. 

Just my 2 cents :)  

Archived