Starting 8/1, would love a buddy!

meerkat

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/4/2017 at 9:45 AM, meerkat said:

How are we all doing this morning? The grumps have finally hit...I am in a BAD mood. And stressed about the weekend - my social circle is definitely pretty drinking-centric, so this will be a challenge for sure. Is weed Whole 30 compliant?! 

Day 6 and I'm not hungry! Still.  I've made myself eat the last few days, all compliant and the right  template, even though not hungry. Today is the worst. I've had no cravings so my body is probably so screwed up. I can't wrap my head around eating when not hungry because all my life that was the goal. Eat only when truly feeling the need. Any suggestions?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Draya said:

Sorry, wasn't sure I was going to get a response!

No worries, but we respond to literally every single post to make sure people's questions are answered... not common on allforums but we do make sure that there are no hanging questions :)

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Lisa Rangel said:

Day 6 and I'm not hungry! Still.  I've made myself eat the last few days, all compliant and the right  template, even though not hungry. Today is the worst. I've had no cravings so my body is probably so screwed up. I can't wrap my head around eating when not hungry because all my life that was the goal. Eat only when truly feeling the need. Any suggestions?

Just keep going eating the template meals... when we come from a place of restriction or deprivation on any level, our body eventually doesn't even bother sending hunger cues just for them to be ignored...that means that when you embark on a plan like this, your hunger cues don't always come along for the ride right away.  Hormones also play a large part in this, so teaching your body that there are three meal times spaced 4-5 hours apart and that it's consistent means that things will eventually start to run better again... 

Keep plating up the meals, try finding things you really love or that are easy to eat (like how about chicken salad on a warm sweet potato?) or something a bit odd that might give a jolt to your taste buds... I like the breakfast salad that I make, which apparently is a big hit with others that have tried it.  Dress arugula with rice wine vinegar, olive oil and salt.  scramble eggs and place on top of the greens and then a handful of frozen or fresh blueberries.  It's weird but delicious... 

You can do it!  One day you're going to wake up or come to lunch or dinner and be that good kind of hungry... the kind where you know you're not starving but it's time to eat again and you look forward to your meal! Promise!

Hello, my name is Cindy and I'd like to join your group.  I'm on Day 8.  I'm feeling very good!  I was having a lot of knee problems and they are feeling sooo much better.  Has anyone else noticed any positive changes in their body? 

Feeling good is definitely giving me motivation to keep going! :)  

On 8/3/2017 at 11:36 AM, SugarcubeOD said:

@meerkat and @mcki0133 - that's a symptom of detox... make sure you're drinking 1/2 oz of water per pound of bodyweight and make sure you're salting your food!

Good to know.  I've been thirsty too!  Wow, that's a lot of water. :)

On 8/4/2017 at 9:59 AM, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

I'm starting Monday but would love to join you guys in this conversation then!  Scared and excited.  Giving up my wine is gonna be tough on the weekends!

I'm a social drinker and have the same problem.  I've made it through this weekend successfully but didn't have much going on, just relaxing (and planning, shopping and prepping for Whole 30 :) ).  I'm a little worried about next weekend because we're going to a concert with a group of friends and starting with dinner and drinks.  That will be tough!  I'm feeling really good so I'm hoping I that will help me stay on the right path.  

Hi! Sorry, went quiet over the weekend because I was so busy, but hi. Weekend went pretty well. It was hard to not drink Saturday night, but I made it through! And I had an amazing dinner of farmers' market fresh veggies and eggs and turkey bacon. I can already tell how I'm tasting the flavors in things more - my coffee tasted SO flavorful, and I've been sooo enjoying fruits and veggies! I'm now up in the country for a few days with family, which is easy because the person doing most of the cooking is paleo, so there's very little to adjust on my end to keep things compliant. Had a dinner of barbecued chicken and ratatouille, and breakfast this morning was eggs with some watermelon and orange slices. Lunch will be leftover chicken and veggies, and then on to dinner tonight! I feel like I'm...maybe...over the hump of the worst of this?!

For me, Day 7.  The eating and compliance has been easy -- I have been thoroughly enjoying all the tasty meals my husband has made from our Whole30 cookbook and just his talented, creative brain.  I had a very tough first 4 days -- headaches, body aches, fatigue, digestive upsets but the past few days have been better, although I find I am still pretty low energy.  Sleep has been improving, but not great yet.  It is hard to get in a solid 8 hours and I am feeling tired during the day.  Really tired, but not relaxed enough to take a nap.  Since I was a very bad eater before I started this, I think I must have more "stuff" for my body to get through before I start noticing wonderful improvements.  But mentally, I am not having any issues; I don't miss any foods or even sugar.  Hoping that I will soon get a burst of energy.

Hey y'all! Yes, I am from GA...this is Day 8 for me and just joined the forum.  I don't have any sugar cravings which is good, but every afternoon around this time (4:50pm here) I am fatigued and have a mild headache and do not have a history of headaches.  And I feel really grumpy this time of day.  I am eating a large compliant breakfast and lunch, and since I workout I have a compliant snack as well.  I usually feel better after dinner and am able to sleep a good 7-9 hours depending on my work schedule for the next day.  I am drinking a ton of water as well.  Is the late afternoon headache and fatigue just part of the adjustment process?  It is bad!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, sourgummylove said:

Hey y'all! Yes, I am from GA...this is Day 8 for me and just joined the forum.  I don't have any sugar cravings which is good, but every afternoon around this time (4:50pm here) I am fatigued and have a mild headache and do not have a history of headaches.  And I feel really grumpy this time of day.  I am eating a large compliant breakfast and lunch, and since I workout I have a compliant snack as well.  I usually feel better after dinner and am able to sleep a good 7-9 hours depending on my work schedule for the next day.  I am drinking a ton of water as well.  Is the late afternoon headache and fatigue just part of the adjustment process?  It is bad!

Can you be more specific about what 'large compliant' meal means to you?  How does it relate to the template?  Are you salting your food?  Grumpy and headache sounds to me that you're not eating enough so lets just check that out first and go from there.

One of the toughest things for me is binging on fruit. My brain still goes into the mentality of needing to binge on sugar, so I just do it with something compliant. Any ideas for what to do? I want food freedom

• Moderators
Just now, cMCc said:

One of the toughest things for me is binging on fruit. My brain still goes into the mentality of needing to binge on sugar, so I just do it with something compliant. Any ideas for what to do? I want food freedom

Eat something briney and fatty like olives if you really need to eat something but the best (hardest) advice is to just stop doing it.  Distract yourself - vacuum, go for a walk, take a bath, read a book... your brain does not know the difference between a snickers bar and a peach when it's tantruming for sugar... don't give in!

Hi everyone! I know I'm joining this super late but I started my first Whole30 on August 1st as well and am hoping to join you all. Happy to have made a week but today was pretty rough! Had trouble sleeping last night and was irritable with my husband this evening. The first 6 days seemed pretty easy so hoping this stage passes by quickly!

Anyone else unusually fatigued?

Okay -- I am on Day 9 and many things going very well.  No cravings, have been eating delicious, compliant meals.  After about Day 5, my headaches subsided and my digestive upsets got better, although still have a little bit of a sensitive tummy sometimes -- but very limited now.  The thing I do have is fatigue.  Ugh.  I have been pretty tired since Day 1 and assumed the fatigue would get better as the other issues got better, but I still am quite fatigued.  I have trouble getting out of bed in the morning, I eat breakfast and then feel like I could go to sleep again.  I do some activities (not working out yet) and then feel I could go to sleep.  My night time sleep isn't perfect either, actually a bit more disrupted since Whole30 but I am usually getting just short of 7-8 hours which is more than I have gotten typically in life.  But I have been supplementing with an afternoon nap just to make it through the evening.  

Does anyone else have the fatigue? Any suggestions?  I have questioned whether I am eating enough, but I am eating only slightly less than my big 6" hunky husband who is also on Whole30, so we have the same meals.   He feels fine and is also working out for an hour every morning.   I was never a coffee drinker, so not related to caffeine.  I am not constipated, nor do I have any other "issues" that I can think of that might be causing the fatigue.  Wonder if anyone else is having this issue?

I'll check back later -- got to have a nap now!

@sjw11 I am on day 8 and still feeling groggy in the morning and sleepy in the late afternoon -- I assume it's just our metabolism sorting it out?? I've heard from a lot of people that isn't til the half way point like day 15 or 16 that they see major improvements in energy, so I am hoping for that!

Ugh....thought I was over the worst of this and then I wake up today with a MASSIVE migraine. Like, one of the worst I've ever had. I feel so, so ill and nauseous and can barely bring myself to eat anything...and no idea what set it off. My usual nausea solutions are straight carbs - bread, rice, etc. - so I'm sort of at a loss. Any advice??

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, meerkat said:

Ugh....thought I was over the worst of this and then I wake up today with a MASSIVE migraine. Like, one of the worst I've ever had. I feel so, so ill and nauseous and can barely bring myself to eat anything...and no idea what set it off. My usual nausea solutions are straight carbs - bread, rice, etc. - so I'm sort of at a loss. Any advice??

sweet potato or regular potato?  I think sweet potato with ghee might be fairly easy to get down... Do you have any bone broth or soup at home that you could defrost or use?

so sorry you're not feeling well!  Make sure you drink lots of fluids, take your migraine meds (I hope you have some!) and rest!

10 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

sweet potato or regular potato?  I think sweet potato with ghee might be fairly easy to get down... Do you have any bone broth or soup at home that you could defrost or use?

so sorry you're not feeling well!  Make sure you drink lots of fluids, take your migraine meds (I hope you have some!) and rest!

I'm at work, unfortunately....really optimistically thought the meds would kick in by the time I got here, but they have NOT. I'm giving it through this crucial 1 pm meeting and if it's not gone, calling it a day. Maybe the cafeteria has sweet potato...I will investigate. Thanks!!

22 hours ago, Lunarose said:

@sjw11 I am on day 8 and still feeling groggy in the morning and sleepy in the late afternoon -- I assume it's just our metabolism sorting it out?? I've heard from a lot of people that isn't til the half way point like day 15 or 16 that they see major improvements in energy, so I am hoping for that!

Hopefully, something is getting sorted out.  I will keep on trudging along and hope for less fatigue after Day 15/16.  Thanks.  

Day 11 and 12 were much better for me and my fatigue is definitely going away.  I still don't think it is time to undertake an exercise program, but I am feeling much more energetic than the past week.  I continue to have zero problems being compliant with the eating.  My tastebuds are changing for the better and the food is tasting more and more delicious.   I also need to give my husband the chef, a big kiss for all the wonderful meals he has been making.  We are not missing anything.

Have passed the halfway point and fatigue is definitely gone.  Still not having any issues with cravings, although I did have the most delicious melon at lunchtime and did sneak a mini-meal with some again before dinner.  Fruit definitely can be the new candy, so I try to be conscious of that.  Have not gone wild at all with it.  But it is fruit season here and there are some fabulous things around that I would probably like to eat more of.

I am not having any Tiger Blood yet, but I seem to have a slower time making progress than some others.  My husband for example has lost any belly bloat he had and even his face looks smoother and less puffy.  I am not discouraged -- basically feeling much better than eating the crap I was.

I am wondering how you others are doing passing mid-point?

@sjw11 its day 16 for me and I am definitely feeling healthier! Like you, I am experiencing much less fatigue, particularly in the mornings and afternoons. I don't know if I've lost any weight, but my hair and skin seem healthier. And for the most part I am enjoying the healthier meals. That's so great you have a partner who likes to cook! I really enjoy cooking and in some ways Whole 30 is a fun challenge to come up with new dishes that are healthy and compliant. I also like the fact that it simplifies grocery shopping. :) My husband doesn't normally cook a lot, but lately he's been helping out and it's been fun to create dishes together (he's doing the Whole 30 as well). 

And yes, it's tough to not eat a bunch of fruit right now while it's in season! I went to the farmer's market yesterday and got nectarines and peaches, nom! 

A couple of days ago I started up my exercise routine again. The first two weeks were tough for me with no alcohol, no sugar, and general detox happening, so now that I'm feeling better it seemed like a good time to start. I just go for a 20 minute run, then situps, pushups, squats, and stretching. I'd like to do some more yoga too, and maybe alternate it with the cardio. My muscles seem to get tired quickly but it still feels good to start incorporating more movement into my day.

I wouldn't say I'm experiencing tiger's blood yet, but I feel like it's just around the corner! 

Archived