Great breakfast/brunch

lizl61

I have made this a few times on Whole30 - and it is staying as part of my repertoire.  Great for a weekend breakfast/brunch...

Source - https://www.theendlessmeal.com/green-eggs-and-ham-shakshuka/

GREEN EGGS AND HAM SHAKSHUKA WITH LEMON DILL PESTO   

Makes: 2 servings (can easily be doubled)

INGREDIENTS
Lemon dill pesto:
-  ½ cup parsley, packed
-  ⅓ cup neutral flavored oil
-  ¼ cup dill, packed
-  Juice from 1½ lemons
-  1 large garlic clove, minced
-  A generous pinch of sea salt

Green eggs and ham shakshuka:
-  1 tablespoon olive oil
-  ½ medium onion, thinly sliced
-  ½ cup diced ham or farmer's sausage
-  2 garlic cloves, minced
-  1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
-  ¼ teaspoon ground cumin and sea salt
-  5 cups finely minced kale, from about 10 stalks
-  4 good-quality eggs
-  Olive oil, dill, Aleppo pepper, and black pepper, to garnish

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. Place all the ingredients for the Lemon Dill Pesto in your blender or food processor. Process on low until everything is finely minced, but not completely smooth.

3. Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron or ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until translucent. Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook until the onion is very soft and starting to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the ham or sausage to the pan and cook through, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, Aleppo pepper, cumin, and sea salt and cook for 1 minute, until the spices are fragrant. Add the kale to the pan and let it wilt. Add the kale in batches if needed, letting some wilt before adding more.

4. Take the pan off the heat and make 4 wells in the kale. Crack the eggs into the wells and place the pan in your oven for 5-7 minutes, or until the white are just set. Note: you can cook the eggs on the stovetop by keeping the pan on medium heat and covering it for 3-4 minutes. The only difference is the eggs will turn cloudy this way. They will taste the same.

5. Serve the green shakshuka topped with the lemon dill pesto, and any or all of the optional toppings.

MY NOTES
1. I sometimes add more veggies - mushrooms, asparagus, diced tomatoes in particular
2. I use less lemon juice in the pesto - starting with juice from half a lemon and then add more to taste
3. Found it hard to find ham without sugar, used sausage instead
4. Made my own sausage - beef, turkey or pork.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived