Starting today!

Lunarose

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SarahSun i've also been having GI issues the last few days! And I also haven't had any new foods. It's funny you mention it maybe being coconut because the only thing I was guessing it might be is all the coconut milk. I had a few things both days with canned coconut milk. But I'm not really sold on that being the problem, because I do eat a lot of coconut products in general. I actually go through a bottle of coconut amino's every week or two. I use it a lot. Also today I had a headache all day. I have no idea what from.

So I looked into it a little more, and I think it's the guar gum in the canned coconut milk this has gave me diarrhea. Apparently guar gum can be used as a laxative and it's fairly common for it to cause multiple GI problems. So guess I need to look for canned coconut milk without it, and we'll see if that fixes it. And if it doesn't fix it, and it happens again at least I know it's the coconut itself! But please no, I need coconut milk in  my life lol. 

@Alisha Alexander thank you for the all of the info about reintroduction, that is super helpful! I might look into doing more of a paleo diet after the 30 days, rather than sticking to Whole 30 foods, since it is slightly less restrictive (from what I understand). That's so cool you are studying agriculture, I imagine it sheds a whole new light on where our foods come from and what we should and shouldn't eat. I remember my dad would always peel the skin off apples before eating them, because when he was a kid he worked at an apple "factory" and whatever he saw there made him not want to eat apple skins, haha! I've read a bit about dairy processing so I think I know what you mean... I feel like Whole 30 has also made me look at where my food comes from, and being more intentional about what foods I buy based on their source. It got me in the habit of going to the farmers market, and next year I might look into getting a CSA subscription. I looked into raw milk here too, but the only one I found is $10 per gallon!!! Anyways, it's all good stuff to think about.  As much as I love dairy foods,  I will definitely be eating significantly less of them from here on out. It's all about finding a balance!

@SarahSun sorry to hear about the GI stuff, I hope it gets resolved soon! I've been kind of constipated the past few days, but I think it's just because I'm not drinking enough water and have been exercising more. So going to work on that. In some ways, I feel like 30 days isn't enough! I mean, I'll definitely celebrate a bit after the 30 days, but I really feel like I am just starting to experience the benefits and part of me wants to keep going with that. I have been thinking a lot about doing it again in January, just because I feel like the holidays is when I might get "out of balance" and need a reset.

Interesting about the coconut - maybe the guar gum as Alisha mentioned could be causing it for you too?

Only a few more days to go, woohoo!!!

Like clock work - i have the GI issues today - it follows right along with the timeline though.  Which is so weird/funny to me.  i am on day 8.  

The funny thing about this challenge for me, is it stops me in my tracks to ask if I am hungry or just wanting a snack for no reason.  It is helping me so much more mindful!  Thank goodness it is "harvest time" for all my gardening friends.  I have had a ton of veggies to eat the last week.  I, unfortunately have been needing more salt though.  And I have been craving fruit, which I normally hate.  Peaches to be specific.  

The wing sauce is yummy, i had it friday on my chicken and cauliflower!   

@MarcyW, I agree, having lots of vegetables available from farmer's markets has been really helpful! @Lunarose, I think I'll look more into the CSA thing too before the next time I do this. Also, I agree with you...30 days is just the beginning. I am taking very seriously the REST of my life after the Whole30. I know it is not going to be easy...I had a little taste of some of my old demons creeping up on me last night when my 2 boys (5 and 10 years old) were being super bratty while I was trying to do house work and paperwork or ANYTHING! I started getting really upset and all I could think about was all the terrible food I could eat to "make me feel better". I was actually grateful that the program was keeping me from eating any of it (I don't have any of that in the house, but I think I would've driven to Timbuktu to get my hands on some if I allowed myself to). Dang, those old demons are gonna be hard to get rid of for good!! @Alisha Alexander, so bizarre that we were experiencing the same thing!! That cannot happen again...especially if I am at work! No coconut of any kind for me.

Congrats on Day 28! Having you guys to talk to through this process as been so important/helpful/essential/stress-relieving/awesome to me. I am grateful to have met you and hope we can continue to email periodically after the program is over!!!!

Sarah

@Lunarose I totally agree, it's all about finding balance! And that's so funny with your dad and apples. I also agree almost not wanting to stop at 30 days. It seems I'm in the safe place of just saying no to things, and I'm used to it now. There is no struggle or dilemma, and people around me are used to it now so they know to not offer things I'm not eating. After the 30 days things aren't so black and white and lets face it that's going to be harder! I might even be interested in doing one in January too, (woah that will be a big whole30 group I bet lol), depending on how the holidays go for me. I'm hoping I can make this lifestyle change stick, but at least now I know I can always go back to whole30 to start over if I get too off track. It's funny because she talked about that in food freedom forever and I thought that was crazy talk! How could it be comforting to have to go back to a whole30?? I totally get it now!

@SarahSun Having you guys on this forum has been a big help to me, I think this form of accountability/support has been something that has been missing for me when I've tried to do these kinds of things before, because friends/family/coworkers don't get it, and if anything they just try and sabotage it, so to have people dealing with the same issues was very helpful! And I would like to keep checking in after the 30 days, I'd like to know how reintroduction goes for you guys!

Happy day 28!

Oh, also... today is my 30th birthday. I'm not going to lie it might be tough for me to not have a drink today..... I really want to stay strong but part of me is arguing that I've done this good and I deserve to celebrate on my birthday. Would really suck to give in 2 days early though! 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Alisha Alexander said:

Oh, also... today is my 30th birthday. I'm not going to lie it might be tough for me to not have a drink today..... I really want to stay strong but part of me is arguing that I've done this good and I deserve to celebrate on my birthday. Would really suck to give in 2 days early though! 

How about you consider not drinking and finishing this program (incuding the reintroductions) as the best 30th birthday gift you could ever give to yourself - an investment in your longterm health!  Man, that's worth SO MUCH MORE than a drink!

@Alisha Alexander, I agree with everything you said and I am definitely going to be checking in with you guys during reintroduction. Originally, I was going to follow the order listed in the book (legumes come back first), but they made a good point that if you wanted to see the impact sugar had on you, you should do it first (in pure form like sugar in your tea) before it becomes difficult to tell if you don't feel well due to the other ingredients, such as, ice cream which is sugar and dairy. They do a much better job of explaining that. :) With that said, I may have sugar on Friday instead of legumes...like, maybe syrup on Paleo pancakes...I'm not sure yet. What about you?

Also, I so hope you passed on that drink tonight. I would not think less of you, but nothing sucks worse than letting yourself down...especially when you are so close to something you've worked so hard for during the last 28 days. You deserve to say you completed the WHOLE Whole30. :D

Btw, I know there is only 1 hour and 9 minutes of your birthday left, but "Happy Birthday" anyway. I hope it was great!!

Sarah

@Alisha Alexander happy birthday!!! Assuming you stuck to your Whole 30 and skipped the drink, I say make an extra fancy one to celebrate on day 31. :)

@SarahSun I think it would be great to stay in touch, I will definitely check in here during reintroduction and like I said before, am already thinking about doing this again in January. I agree, it's been super helpful to have each other for support, meal ideas, commiserating etc. I am so glad I decided to jump on the forum when I started, and that we've made this journey together!

Day 29... almost there!!! Along with reintroduction, I've gotta remember to check my measurements and take a photo - did this at the start so I can compare with the end results.  How about you guys? Weight loss wasn't my primary goal but I'm still interested to see if there's been any change in that department.  And can't wait to put that final red X on my calendar, it will be so satisfying! :) 

Hope y'all have a nice day!

@SarahSun Ya I think introducing some sugar by itself first is a good idea, and obviously I'm not going to be eating a lot of sugar anyways, but I do like to have tea with honey in the afternoon and I have a bunch of paleo dessert recipes that I would love to try. Not things I'll eat everyday but good to see how they make us feel afterwards (and the next day). Oh and dark chocolate! I usually have a square of dark chocolate almost every day.... although it has been nice to break this habit! As far as legumes I've been paleo long enough to know that beans do not love me lol, but I would like to maybe test chickpeas because I love hummus and veggies.

@Lunarose I did take measurements as well, so i'm excited to see, but I also don't have big expectations. I know I feel good and I still have a lot of  work to do, so I'm trying to prepare myself in case I didn't lose as much weight as I hoped.  But I have had a lot of non scale victories, size smaller pants, and I've been getting so many compliments the last week. I'm finding it hard not to push the whole30 on everyone! Do you guys find it funny when someone says something to you like, oh give up (bread, beer, cheese, ect )?? I could NEVER do that.....  i just smile to myself and kind of laugh because I'm so glad I'm not stuck in a mindset like that, and it feels to freeing to not be tied to a food! Of course it's not forever, (unless we choose it to be) and that helps. Anyways I hope you guys get my ramble :lol:

Sooooo..... I am very tempted to lie... but I let you guys down. I had a glass of wine last night. Surprisingly I don't feel terrible about it, I know it's lame because I made it to day 28 and gave up early. Hind sight of course I didn't need to have a glass of wine to enjoy the evening, and I knew that but I chose to do it anyways. But I hope you guys can be proud of me because I did make a lot of great choices that day. My boyfriend took me for lunch and we had hot pot (it's this Asian soup thing), and I had to make a bunch of special requests but it was all msg and gluten free, and I didn't overeat. And I made the mistake of mentioning my birthday so they brought out ice cream for me (that my boyfriend gladly ate). I also had a delicious compliant braised beef dinner. So I had my glass of  red wine with dinner and I enjoyed it, I drank a little extra water but other then that no other problems with the wine.  Please don't be too disappointed in me! I'm sorry, but at this point I'm not going to be too hard on myself.

On 8/18/2017 at 1:35 PM, ladyshanny said:

Hard to say, how many bananas and starchy veggies are you eating? What else are you eating and in what quantities? Have you had constipation issues in the past? We actually do recommend that people use magnesium as a bowel movement aid. You might just've used too much? I don't think I probably would have chased a day of the runs following days of constipation with a known binding item but bananas themselves aren't specifically constipating in my experience. Depends on how many you actually ate?

Never heard about the mosquitos before. 

Hi, it's been a while since I was here last. Today is day 18. I've been using mag but still irregular with another crazy "runs" day since I last wrote in. I eat a banana every couple of days now and have been eating at least one starchy veg every day (sweet potato, plantains), so could that be it. And I definitely have water. Hmm. I can try to drink more water and see if that helps. My thirst is more pronounced than usual eating this way, that is for sure. 

Other notes... no tiger blood yet - I am often tired but in general my energy is more even. So that is good. The cravings are back and forth but I seem to need less food now to satisfy me. That is nice! My face looks less bloated according to people, but there is no change in my clothes fit yet. So that makes me think that I'm doing something wrong even though I'm well within plan and am really diligent about where the food comes from and how it's prepared.

Do you think this means I need a Whole45 or 60? I'm thinking that maybe I need to focus on no nightshades or starchy veggies, depending on how I end up on day 31. Because I am wanting to get that surge of energy and see a difference and I don't yet. Kind of a bummer. 

Thanks for "listening"/reading. :)

Glad

@Alisha Alexander well, I guess you're just gonna have to start over...LOL! Kidding. It seems like you've experienced a lot of benefits and learned a lot too during your Whole 30, so I don't really see how this would be a "fail". The times I've almost caved for a drink were when I was feeling crummy, either sad or anxious.... I think if you're gonna have one, it is WAY better that it was in celebration. And the fact that you aren't beating yourself up about it just goes to show that you are finding food freedom! Anyways I don't think you need any reassurances from me, but that's all just to say that you definitely didn't let me down!! :) 

@coachgad I'm almost done with the 30 days, and while I have definitely seen a lot of benefits, I don't think I lost a whole lot of weight. I think around the end of the second week I had a surge of energy, but it was almost *too* much energy, like having too many cups of coffee. And while my energy is now more even like you, I did have a "crash" day a few days ago.... anyways, just saying that I'm kind of in the same boat in that my experience hasn't followed the timeline exactly. I've actually decided that after I do the reintroduction phase, I'm going to go back to doing Whole 30 protocol as much as possible, because I feel like I've only reached the tip of the iceberg as far as health improvements go. If you feel up for it, I say try the 45 or 60 days. I feel like 30 days is a good amount of time to make the psychological shift, but not necessarily enough for everybody to have life changing health benefits. Especially if you've gone years with unhealthy habits (I certainly did). I hope this is helpful! And congrats and getting past the half way point!

@Lunarose Thanks for the feedback. I was really thinking I was doing something wrong but I really have been on point, you know? I think I will weigh and measure on day 31, then keep going to day 45 and then see where I am then. You helped me not feel so crazy, at least, so that is GREAT! LOL 

On 8/25/2017 at 9:10 PM, blgmw2 said:

I bought my Franks hot sauce and wings. I'll be cooking them Sunday. I will let you know if we like or love them....Lol!

We had our wings and my husband loved them I liked them. I made some without the sauce which I preferred. I have left over sauce and will be making more next week. 

Well I have been absent from this forum but thought I would chime in today. I am on day 11 and my nausea is gone and I feel good. I was wondering if any of you have thought about subscribing to the Whole30 meal plan. I was looking and for $7 -$8 a month I could have my meals planned based on user input and my grocery list made up. I work from home full time and making my meal plans are very time consuming, oh also the plan gives you a timeline like the Whole30 first week on what to do each day as far as food prep. I'm thinking at that price it might be worth it. I'm not one to just buy something like this, but this has my attention. Well I realized at 3:00pm I had not eaten lunch so I had some protein salad. Actually I was hungry and before I realized I had not eaten I had half an apple and a little bit of almond butter, then I realized I hadn't eaten lunch. I will have to fill up on veges at dinner. This was a first for me. I find the hardest thing for me is eating before my workout, which is a hard boiled egg about 6:30am, eating after I work out, usually just a small portion of protein and a third of a sweet potato about 8:00am. Then I don't eat breakfast till like 9:30 cause I'm just not hungry, then lunch is later and typically I am hungry at our 6pm dinner. I haven't been snacking much at all. I do have a stash of Chomp's beef sticks and a few compliant  Lara bars for me to grab when I am out on appointements all day just in case. I have noticed my stomach is getting smaller, my backside is more muscular, LOL! I realized this one night laying in bed. I strength train 3 times a week and do high intensity cardio 1 day a week. One of the main reasons I am doing Whole30 is because I have been at 150lbs for the past three years and my body composition, and measurements are the same. So if I'm working out as much as I do then it must be my eating. I didn't eat unhealthy but knew something drastic had to change if I wanted results. I am determined, but don't let this be mistaken for this not being difficult. I miss my Starbucks, but this is only 30 days, I miss my coffee creamor but this is only 30 days. I will not use Splenda again and I used to have about six packets a day. I have wanted to kick that habit for awhile and am proud to say I have. I will definitely keep up many of these habits well beyond the 30 days. Thank you Melissa and Dallas Hartwig! Woot! Woot! Well I have rambled on enough.....

I also wanted to say to everyone you all are doing so good. You should all be very proud of your efforts. Good Luck with the remainder of your Whole30 where ever you may be in the process. 

23 hours ago, coachgad said:

Hi, it's been a while since I was here last. Today is day 18. I've been using mag but still irregular with another crazy "runs" day since I last wrote in. I eat a banana every couple of days now and have been eating at least one starchy veg every day (sweet potato, plantains), so could that be it. And I definitely have water. Hmm. I can try to drink more water and see if that helps. My thirst is more pronounced than usual eating this way, that is for sure. 

Other notes... no tiger blood yet - I am often tired but in general my energy is more even. So that is good. The cravings are back and forth but I seem to need less food now to satisfy me. That is nice! My face looks less bloated according to people, but there is no change in my clothes fit yet. So that makes me think that I'm doing something wrong even though I'm well within plan and am really diligent about where the food comes from and how it's prepared.

Do you think this means I need a Whole45 or 60? I'm thinking that maybe I need to focus on no nightshades or starchy veggies, depending on how I end up on day 31. Because I am wanting to get that surge of energy and see a difference and I don't yet. Kind of a bummer. 

Thanks for "listening"/reading. :)

Glad

I can understand your thought process and yes it is a bummer. Hang in there and you will get that tiger blood. Remember we all have different timelines. If you get to day 30 and want to continue I say do it. You can always change up your veggies like you mentioned and see if things change. Glad to hear your eating less food to satisfy you and compliments are the best. My daughter looked at me last night and told me to turn around, so I did and then she said she liked my jeans. WHAT? I was expecting her to say you look good. LOL! Good Luck and hang in there. 

@blgmw2 glad to hear the chicken wings were a success! My husband loves them too, we always have to buy two packs of chicken wings because he eats so many haha. Did you try them with ranch? I prefer the primal ranch to tessemae's - tessemae's ranch is really good but extra tangy and with the tangy hot sauce, it is almost too much flavor! Homemade ranch might be really good too but I haven't made any yet. 

As far the meal planning goes, if you think it will make the process easier, might as well give it a try! Personally I wouldn't just because I feel like it would stress me out even more, but that's just me! I splurged on the newsletter and it was totally worth it - kept me motivated and also provided a ton of useful information.

@SarahSun @Alisha Alexander happy day 30!!!!!!!! I plan on writing up a summary of my experience in the next few days, as well as anything I think might be useful for others that I learned along the way. 

Hope y'all have a great day!

1 minute ago, Lunarose said:

@blgmw2 glad to hear the chicken wings were a success! My husband loves them too, we always have to buy two packs of chicken wings because he eats so many haha. Did you try them with ranch? I prefer the primal ranch to tessemae's - tessemae's ranch is really good but extra tangy and with the tangy hot sauce, it is almost too much flavor! Homemade ranch might be really good too but I haven't made any yet. 

As far the meal planning goes, if you think it will make the process easier, might as well give it a try! Personally I wouldn't just because I feel like it would stress me out even more, but that's just me! I splurged on the newsletter and it was totally worth it - kept me motivated and also provided a ton of useful information.

@SarahSun @Alisha Alexander happy day 30!!!!!!!! I plan on writing up a summary of my experience in the next few days, as well as anything I think might be useful for others that I learned along the way. 

Hope y'all have a great day!

@Lunarose

I agree with trying another ranch dressing for the wings, but still was good. LOL!  I also did the news letter and do like the motivation.  

@coachgad, I hope you get your tiger's blood soon. I think my tiger's blood didn't come in the form of some great level of energy, but more in the form of inner happiness for having "food freedom" for the first time in my life. I can drive by fast food restaurants or order my kids some pizza (etc.) without feeling weepy because I can't eat it. It feels great. Keep up what your doing for as many days as you can stand it...the positive results WILL show themselves eventually!

@blgmw2, I think you should buy the meal plan if you think it will make things easier for you. Also, I wonder if you could search this topic in the forum and see what other people have said about the meal plan. I did that a couple of times about various other subjects and it was really helpful. I am glad you are noticing some non-scale victories...that is a real motivator!! Like you, I will no longer be using artificial sweetener now that I have learned about it more during my  Whole30.

@Alisha Alexander, I would never be mad at you. You have done something amazing for your mind and your body in the last month and you'll continue to do those things...that is what really matters. I am glad you enjoyed rather than having the wine and regretting it afterwards. Also, I ordered a Paleo Desserts cookbook and the recipes look positively amazing. I can't wait to try some of them and see if this can be a better way to allow sweets in my life.

@Lunarose, I could not agree with you more...I am constantly wanting to "sell" people on the Whole30 and then I remember that the best "sell" is to continue to show changes in my body and attitude and to only offer information to the people who really want it. I also get a kick out of people saying "I could never..." - these friends and family members must have forgotten who I was and how I ate 30 days ago!!! :D

@Alisha Alexander and @Lunarose, Congrats on Day 30!!!! I will report my differences in weight and measurements tomorrow, but unfortunately I got home really late tonight and am way too tired. Also, I got in a fight with my brand new potato peeler last night and ended up in the ER (the potato peeler won!). Now my thumb is going to be bandaged for awhile and I am exhausted from the stress of it all. Talk to you both soon!

Sarah

Archived