Metal breath?

I'm on Day 5 and everything is going really well (today was a break in my sugar detox headaches!) My husband has been complaining about my breath though. He says it smells like metal. He associates it with diets because in the past whenever I've eaten a lot of salads/veggies etc., I've had it then too.  My tongue also feels sort of fuzzy and my teeth gritty, regardless of all the brushing and water I've been drinking. Trying to research it online, the only conclusion I can come to is possibly eating too low of carbs and going into ketosis?  But I also suffer from tonsil stones every once in a while, so I wasn't sure if that could be a cause...

Thoughts? I haven't been hungry between my meals and I've been eating some starchy veggies each day. It doesn't bother me, but my husband can smell it on me easily. Guess I should pick up some fresh mint to chew on! 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Caitibird said:

I'm on Day 5 and everything is going really well (today was a break in my sugar detox headaches!) My husband has been complaining about my breath though. He says it smells like metal. He associates it with diets because in the past whenever I've eaten a lot of salads/veggies etc., I've had it then too.  My tongue also feels sort of fuzzy and my teeth gritty, regardless of all the brushing and water I've been drinking. Trying to research it online, the only conclusion I can come to is possibly eating too low of carbs and going into ketosis?  But I also suffer from tonsil stones every once in a while, so I wasn't sure if that could be a cause...

Thoughts? I haven't been hungry between my meals and I've been eating some starchy veggies each day. It doesn't bother me, but my husband can smell it on me easily. Guess I should pick up some fresh mint to chew on! 

It sounds like keto to me... if you would like directed feedback you'd need to give us a run down on what you've been eating including portion sizes related to the template, specific veggies, fat, protein and fruit... 

I guess it wouldn't hurt to get some direct feedback. The last few days I have been eating more starchy carbs, but maybe it is still so much less than what I was eating pre-Whole30 that my body is still going through ketosis? I can't imagine adding more to my meals because I've been pleasantly full after each meal (aside from today's lunch, which I had zero control over as it was a work luncheon.) In any case, if there is something else that I may be eating that could contribute to metallic breath, let me know! My husband commented on it again today :blink:

• D1M1: 3 eggs, veggie hash with zucchini, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, smothered in homemade mayo. Coffee w/ approx. 2tbsp coconut milk & collagen
  • D1M2: Shredded chicken w/ roasted veggies, zucchini, red onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, smothered in homemade mayo. Half of a banana.
  • D1M3: Ground turkey skillet dinner w/ sweet potatoes, onions, peppers; smothered in homemade mayo. 3 cherries

• D2M1: Chicken apple sausage hash with zucchini, mushrooms, spinach. Smothered in homemade mayo. Coffee w/ approx. 2 tbsp coconut milk & collagen
  • D2M2: Shredded chicken w/ roasted veggies, zucchini, red onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, smothered in homemade mayo.
  • D2M3: Frittata of chorizo sausage, eggs, caramelized onions, and sweet potatoes. Smothered in guacamole. 1 Banana.

• D3M1: 3 eggs w/ hash of veggies; zucchini, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and spinach. Smothered in guacamole. Coffee w/ approx. 2 tbsp coconut milk & collagen
  • D3M2: Leftovers of: Ground turkey skillet dinner w/ sweet potatoes, onions, peppers; smothered in homemade mayo & Chicken apple sausage hash with zucchini, mushrooms, spinach. 1 Banana.
  • D3M3: Frittata of chorizo sausage, eggs, caramelized onions, and sweet potatoes. Smothered in homemade mayo. 3 Cherries.

• D4M1: Frittata of chorizo sausage, eggs, caramelized onions, and sweet potatoes. Smothered in homemade mayo. Coffee w/ approx. 2 tbsp coconut milk & collagen.
  • D4M2: Shredded chicken w/ country potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, and spinach. Smothered in guacamole. ½  Banana.
  • D4M3: Chicken apple sausage hash w/ yellow squash, mushrooms, bell peppers, and green beans. Smothered in homemade mayo.

• D5M1: Frittata of chorizo sausage, eggs, caramelized onions, and sweet potatoes. Smothered in homemade mayo. 1 Clementine. Coffee w/ approx. 2 tbsp coconut milk & collagen.
  • D5M2: Shredded chicken, 1 hard boiled egg, roasted veggies of carrots, green beans and red onions. Smothered in homemade mayo.
  • D5M3: Meatloaf w/ roasted baby yellow potatoes.

• D6M1: Homemade sausage patty w/ roasted veggies; carrots, red onions, and green beans. Smothered in homemade mayo. Coffee w/ approx. 2 tbsp coconut milk & collagen.
  • D6M2: Prime rib w/ baked potato (no control over meal, at work function)
  • D6M3: 2 eggs, leftover chicken apple sausage hash w/ green beans, yellow squash, mushrooms, and red pepper. Roasted baby yellow potatoes covered in guacamole.

15 hours ago, Caitibird said:

but maybe it is still so much less than what I was eating pre-Whole30 that my body is still going through ketosis

It's not the difference, but the total amount of carbs.  Eating under 50g per day does it for most people, but some people can kick over with up to 100g.  And as a reference point, this is the amount in a full pound of sweet potatoes. So it looks like you are one of the people who enter ketosis at higher levels of carbs. (which would get you labelled as a lucky duck by many keto fans ;))
Keto breath can come and go.  Some people never get it. But some tips I found from another site:

• Drink lots of water because water helps flush the excess acetoacetate through urine rather than through breath.
  • Alternative: drink peppermint tea, which both hydrates but also has a minty flavor that can help mask.
  • Eating lots of green vegetables (large quantities, according to Peter Attia "a bowl the size of my head") helps bring acid/alkaline levels in order. (It's unclear to me still if or how this relates to acetoacetate production but this is one of the few across-the-board suggestions that I've found).

Your meals look awesome, I wouldn't change a thing.

For what it's worth, I notice that when I eat homemade mayo, I get that metal breath, regardless of what I eat it with.  I don't notice it if I don't eat mayo.  Not sure if it's a direct cause, but you could eliminate it for a couple of days and see.

@kirkor Thanks for your response! I'm going to the store this afternoon and I'm going to pick up some mint tea and even some fresh parsley to chew on. I'm also trying to drink a ton of water. Thankfully my husband looked up ketosis online, so he understands that no matter how much I brush my teeth, it won't do much at this time.  I may try including some starchy carbs at each  meal in small quantities and see if this helps. I fried up some sweet potato this morning and it was pretty delicious, it just takes a bit longer to prepare.

@CGallagher I was wondering about the homemade mayo thing myself! I've been going through a lot it this week, I mean...it is so delicious! I would be sad to eliminate it for a few days, but I may give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, Caitibird said:

Thanks for posting this.  My wife and I are on day 4 and we've noticed what we call "fuzz" on our teeth especially in the morning.  We were wondering what was causing this. 

Archived