Looking Ahead to Post Whole30

Good morning!

I like to plan ahead and prepare for changes, if possible. I've been thinking that I would like to lose some weight (about 20 pounds) after my first Whole30, but I would like to maintain the Whole30 meals and protocol per the meal template. I think I've lost a few pounds, probably because I'm no longer snacking on chips and cheese at 10 o'clock at night, I've also increased my water intake and overall I feel great, my pants are a little looser, and I definitely have lost that bloated feeling.

I'm just not sure what losing weight looks like on the Whole30. As much as I love chowing down on fried eggs, crispy chicken skin and bacon and sausage, I know that cutting back on these items would help in losing weight. I would categorize myself as low to moderate exerciser.

Has anyone followed the Whole30 meal plan to lose weight? I'm sure the reintroduction phase plays into this somewhere. One thing I don't want to do, is go back to snacking in-between meals. That is my one big habit I am trying to break.

Let's talk!

Thanks!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RBCali said:

Good morning!

I like to plan ahead and prepare for changes, if possible. I've been thinking that I would like to lose some weight (about 20 pounds) after my first Whole30, but I would like to maintain the Whole30 meals and protocol per the meal template. I think I've lost a few pounds, probably because I'm no longer snacking on chips and cheese at 10 o'clock at night, I've also increased my water intake and overall I feel great, my pants are a little looser, and I definitely have lost that bloated feeling.

I'm just not sure what losing weight looks like on the Whole30. As much as I love chowing down on fried eggs, crispy chicken skin and bacon and sausage, I know that cutting back on these items would help in losing weight. I would categorize myself as low to moderate exerciser.

Has anyone followed the Whole30 meal plan to lose weight? I'm sure the reintroduction phase plays into this somewhere. One thing I don't want to do, is go back to snacking in-between meals. That is my one big habit I am trying to break.

Let's talk!

Thanks!

So the Whole30 is an elimination protocol designed to help you figure out how foods affect you... it is not designed as a weight loss plan, however as you know, people do lose weight on the program, usually from giving up snacking, junk, fast food, soda, sweet tea etc... We don't give advice on how to hack the whole30 to make it a weight loss diet and we don't really entertain conversations about that because the fact of the matter is, eating 3 template meals a day (whether that means that after your reintro, your starch is rice or sweet potato) means that eventually your body is going to come to its healthy weight and if that means that weight needs to come off, then it will... eventually.  Hacking the program to make it weight loss will just turn your experience into another fad calorie restriction diet (that is no where near the Whole30 program) that means you're deprived and eventually you WILL swing back in the other direction and binge... it's proven over and over that calorie restriction diets don't work which is why this ISN"T ONE.

Your goal of no in between snacking is definitely going to help you in your overall health, so that's definitely something to focus on.

Hi Sugarcube OD,

So I've given your post a lot of thought. I appreciate your direct remarks about how the Whole30 is not meant to be a weight loss program. I will continue to focus on the purpose of Whole30 - to discover how foods affect my body - and learn more about how to eat in a way that helps my body and not hurt it. Especially since my doctor advised that I should find a better way of eating based on results of bloodwork. It definitely is a tough road to change my way of thinking after so many years of dieting and listening to everyone's opinions about what a person can and cannot eat, 

What insight can you provide as to the challenges that an older person might have on Whole30? I am 60. Born in the 50's and raised in the 60's I'm a product of all the white bread, bologna, whole milk and fast food chains, so I have a lot of ingrained habits and ideas to undo.

I appreciate your help! :-)

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, RBCali said:

Hi Sugarcube OD,

So I've given your post a lot of thought. I appreciate your direct remarks about how the Whole30 is not meant to be a weight loss program. I will continue to focus on the purpose of Whole30 - to discover how foods affect my body - and learn more about how to eat in a way that helps my body and not hurt it. Especially since my doctor advised that I should find a better way of eating based on results of bloodwork. It definitely is a tough road to change my way of thinking after so many years of dieting and listening to everyone's opinions about what a person can and cannot eat, 

What insight can you provide as to the challenges that an older person might have on Whole30? I am 60. Born in the 50's and raised in the 60's I'm a product of all the white bread, bologna, whole milk and fast food chains, so I have a lot of ingrained habits and ideas to undo.

I appreciate your help! :-)

I'm a bit out of my lane when providing thoughts on the specific difficulties someone 20 years my senior might have (sorry, that's how the math works out).  That said, I don't think the 'white bread, bologna, whole milk and fast food chains' is specific to your generation at all... it may have started in the 50's but its called the Standard American Diet for a reason... that's pretty much the way people eat in general now prior to learning about what is considered specialty eating programs (Whole30, paleo, even vegan).  There is a thread on here called Older Women doing Whole30 or something similar... try googling it, there was a great group of women in their 50's and 60's that created this amazing thread with tons of discussion around the unique challenges an older woman faces... I"m on my ipad so I can't link it here for you but I think you can probably find it pretty quick.

What I do think maybe would be helpful is that you tell yourself you are a 'person who is eating healthier' and you 'were a person who used to eat xyz'.  I'm 38 and I used to eat a white bread bagel toasted with cheddar cheese and mustard and mayo for dinner EVERY night before Whole30... we've all got those things that are throwbacks to a much less healthy way of  life... just need to show them the door :)

Thanks, Sugarcube. I will look for that group. You have a great rest of your week! Just finished a delicious meal of no-fuss salmon cakes with homemade mayo and sauteed green beans and tomatoes. I'm totally full, but at least I know I won't be going to bed feeling bloated and disappointed in myself.

Thanks so much for being a moderator and spending your valuable time helping so many people.

Archived