Looking for an Over 50 Group to blog with

RBCali

Hello,

Most of the posts I'm finding for "older women" are a year old or more. If you are 50-60 and doing the Whole30, any phase, I would love to jump in and post some thoughts.

Looking forward to talking soon,

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 64, & considering my 2nd Whole30.  Last time I did it with my daughter & daughter-in-law via texts & email.  This time I am solo, & I think the comraderie & accountability were key to success.  I would love to join in with some like minded/age women!

Heading quickly to 51, so I fit your category. I'm on day six but had to start over around day 10 when I had some chicken with non-compliant seasoning and my husband sprayed the grill with cooking spray. Seems kind of picky but I want to be strict with the rules. I think it's going to be hard to eat out without really haranguing the waiter/waitress about seasoning, what they cook with, etc. Other issues ya'll are having?

Today is day 1 for me.  That does seem rather picky MMC, but I guess those are the rules.  Today has gone well so far, but am pretty hungry now & can't wait for the basil chicken thighs to get done.  Wish hubby would join me, but he is doing something else. -_- Good luck all!

I'm 55 and today is Day 1 for me.  I am starting today which is my first day of a two week staycation because it will be easier to get going away from work.  Looking forward to getting back on track.  My food intake has been a disaster this year and I feel awful.  Since I am just starting, I would appreciate any tips - things that made you stumble - what to really concentrate on.  Does everyone drink a lot of water?  Fluid intake is always an issue for me.  Sometimes at 8 pm I realize I have not had one thing to drink all day.

Welcome Balo39!  I think the most potential stumbling block is getting hungry & not having enough food made ahead/and or available.  I mean why torture ourselves?  That makes it really hard and can be avoided.  That being said, I need to crack the book & plan some more meals this morning!  About the water, I find it helps to measure out a pitcher of around 8 cups in the morning & leave it on the counter as a visual reminder.  I don't always get it all down, but it is a lot closer than before I was doing Whole30.   Restaurant meals is another dicey area.  Think ahead on that one!  Personally I would just as soon skip it entirely, but sometimes that isn't an option.  Last evening we went out with friends & I had a big "Mediterranean salad" with grilled chicken on top.  I brought my own ranch dressing that I made out of the book.  The hardest part was watching my friend down 3 Bud lites!   I really feel this forum support will be a big part of the journey.  I need accountability when I get weak.  I hope others will chime in with some other ideas!

Hi Everyone!

Just a shout out to everyone and whichever day you are on. I have found this protocol to be one of the best for transitioning from bad eating habits to good. It's not always easy, but with the right resources, tools and moral support, we can do this! I would definitely recommend the Forum if you aren't already a part of the blog. The one I find most useful is the blog title "Troubleshooting Your Whole30". The moderators are great in responding to posted issues and if you search the blog, you can find threads on just about any challenge you may be having. This is great! Let's get through this together.

I am on day 24 and can't believe I've gone so long without snacking, eating chips and cheese! I can't say I'm feeling a lot of the "great" things mentioned in the book, but I do feel good in some ways. Since I'm coming up on 30 days at the end of this week, I'm considering extending my Whole30 another two to four weeks. I know I feel better, but after putting my body through 60 years of processed foods, I can't expect my system to bounce back so fast. Of everything I've tried, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, the GAPS diet, this program has been the one that is helping me change the way I eat and making it a lifestyle (so overused) and it has been so easy.

I agree with Carla B, planning is key to make sure compliant food choices are ready to go, especially if you are working and need to pack a lunch. My main problem is getting bored with the food I eat as I tend to eat the same thing over and over. One thing I have found that helps for me is the Real Plans menu planning website. There is link through Whole30 to this site. I signed up for the 3-month plan and every week I get a full menu plan according to my settings, and all the recipes and a shopping list. I have found this is very helpful in I don't have to do all the work in deciding what to make and then figuring out what I need to buy. Check it out - the link is under "Meal Plans" on the Whole30 home page.

Also, I found that if you google "whole30 restaurants in [your town/area]" you can find cool, trendy places to eat. The restaurants are usually listed as paleo which fits right in with the Whole30 protocol.

Balo39, I had a hard time getting the water in to at first, but now I'm up to about 80 ounces/day. Water is essential in any diet/food plan. I started out buying a case of water so I always have it on hand. I put out my five bottles for each day (three in the fridge and two on the counter). I usually drink one in the morning before I go to work. I take one in my lunch and finish the other three in the evening. Now that I'm on a roll with the water, I'll be taking advantage of the great filtered water at work which will stretch out my

One thing I have noticed, is I am cramping in my feet in the middle of the night. This has just started in the last week. Has anyone else had that? Prior to that I had a burning sensation in my legs, not cramping. This burning sensation has been going on for six months and the reason I started on Whole30. When I went to the doctor she mentioned that it could be symptomatic of pre-diabetes and that I had to cut out carbs. Ha! Easy for her to say. But that's how I found Whole30 and it has definitely helped.

Have a great day CPerez, illiah, Balo30, MMC and Carla B!!

Welcome Laura Lee.  Well, I've been posting right here.  I am a total newbie to a forum so that's all I know:wacko:I'm hoping to figure out as I go along.  Thanks for the great info RB Cali.  I will definitely check out the real meal plans.  Cramps always bring to mind electrolytes.  I hate cramps!  Used to get them in my inner thighs.  SO ouch!  This is my day 3, & I have had a terrific headache all day.  Not sure if it is this or something else.  Good luck all, will check back tomorrow!

Happy Monday everyone!

Somehow, I managed to survive what I am calling the Weekend of All the Pizza. First, my family wanted pizza and beer while we watching the Drum Corps International finals on Saturday night. I had my salad with cold leftover rib eye and Tessa Mae ranch, so all was good, but the cold beer did look appealing. Then I had to order more pizza for the student leadership at my job ( I am a university band secretary) and the whole building smelled of pepperoni. 

More salad and ribeye. More water....

I last had pizza on July 30, just before I started this Whole 30. My face broke out the next day (Really? Acne AND Wrinkles! there ouught to be a law) Just kept thinking that the pizza would taste good at first, but then I would feel sluggish and bloated for the next two days. Learning to think about the consequences in advance is my takeaway for this current Whole 30.

Hello...l just turned 60 and decided I wanted to know what my body feels like when it's healthy. Today is my first Whole30 day. I'm excited about the changes l'm going to see, and the self-knowledge to be gained, but apprehensive about the blood sugar crashes and hunger pains l know are in my future. Rather than making them "go away", as per usual, my intention is to be observant. And to not bite the heads off of people around me during those times!

Hi.  I am new and 64 years old.  I am on Day 8.  I am retired so I have made every meal from the recipes in Whole30 and the Whole30 cookbook.  Every recipe has been great.  I read the book twice and prepared my kitchen and myself 3 weeks in advance.  I really miss my 32 oz sugar- laddened McDonalds Coke.  I really didn't feel any cravings but had lots of digestive pain, headaches, and muscle/joint pain.  But suddenly late last night I ate a carton of strawberries!    Those sugar cravings  are sneaky...I was not even aware of it!  I cleared my calendar for 30 days where I only do things that will benefit my health like go to the grocery store.....swim laps....medical appts.   I talk to people on the phone, I"m not THAT crazy. I know this is a cleanse and not a diet but I also know the hold sugar, simple carbs, and soda has over me.  Also Amazon said those Rxbars were whole 30 compliant but after I got them and read the ingredients, I put them on a high shelf.  Sticking to the book...no more Amazon.

Hi Lyndylu!  I am on day 5, so you are just a little ahead of me.  Sitting here sipping a La Croix.  That is my treat in the evening.  I am cruising along ok.  Had burger & compliant marinara sauce over zucchini wide noodles for dinner, & some cut up veggies-carrots, bell pepper, & cucumber with compliant ranch from the book.  My garden runneth over with zucchini right now, so trying to think of ways to use it.  That's awesome you prepped so well for the 30!  Yes, the sneaky sugar demon!  If I have fruit I try to make it berries.  Picked 4 pounds of organic blueberries this morning. My husband brought home a real tasty watermelon yesterday so I had to "sample" that!  My hope is for the cravings to go away.  I don't normally eat much sugar, but (before whole 30) use stevia/monk fruit/erythritol.  I hope to lose some weight during the reset, so, even though white potatoes are compliant, I think I will avoid them.  All that starch gets me craving.  To me it's the ultimate comfort food:P

Hi there!  How is everyone doing?  Day 6 for me.  So far so good.  Made the shepherds pie tonight. Had that with some sliced cucumbers dipped in the homemade mayo.  Looks like a lot of leftovers so don't need to worry about that for a couple days.  Hope the sleep improves.  Darn dogs!  I've never tried the Rxbars.  Might be something to try after.  I did get some pork rinds in case I need a snack, but haven't opened them yet.  I just realized my headache from the last several days is gone!:)  Hope things are going well for everyone!

Well I hope you ladies don't mind a man joining - I am 55 and completed my first Whole30 about 10 days ago.  

On 8/10/2017 at 3:19 PM, MMC said:

Heading quickly to 51, so I fit your category. I'm on day six but had to start over around day 10 when I had some chicken with non-compliant seasoning and my husband sprayed the grill with cooking spray. Seems kind of picky but I want to be strict with the rules. I think it's going to be hard to eat out without really haranguing the waiter/waitress about seasoning, what they cook with, etc. Other issues ya'll are having?

Best advice I've found for eating out is doing research in advance, and try to keep questions and requests as simple as possible - like "can you grill the fish in olive oil instead of butter?".  And just eliminating certain things rather than asking for an ingredient list - depending on the place and the server, I've heard answers that (in thinking about them to myself) ranged from completely honest and correct to them not really having a clue.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:29 AM, Balo39 said:

I'm 55 and today is Day 1 for me.  I am starting today which is my first day of a two week staycation because it will be easier to get going away from work.  Looking forward to getting back on track.  My food intake has been a disaster this year and I feel awful.  Since I am just starting, I would appreciate any tips - things that made you stumble - what to really concentrate on.  Does everyone drink a lot of water?  Fluid intake is always an issue for me.  Sometimes at 8 pm I realize I have not had one thing to drink all day.

I saw some good tips prior, and I would add READ EVERY LABEL.  Twice before buying something.  It is mind boggling the things they put sugar in, not to mention soy and grains to a lesser extent.  I had to start over on day 17 because there was sugar in the breakfast sausage I was eating several times a week. 

And in the hopes of this being encouraging - since I started sort of following, then trying to follow, then actually completing a whole 30, (a little over two months) I have:

- reduced my blood pressure while getting off of medication;

- gone from a diagnosis of pre-diabetic to completely normal blood sugar;

- reduced triglycerides from extremely high to well within normal

and reduced my pants two sizes.

All while not increasing exercise, and not limiting food portions.  I love the way I am eating now.  I look and feel better (I have received several unsolicited comments about how much better I look).

It's a lot of work - I spend a lot of time thinking about, buying, cooking and eating food - but I really have come to enjoy it.

Best to all...

Happy Friday everyone.  Haven't heard much so am beginning to wonder if I am doing this forum thing right.  Welcome to Jim & Tinman.  Jim, I am wondering how your post Whole30 is going?  That is awesome you improved all those health markers!  That was my downfall in Jan after I completed my first Whole30.  I gradually slipped back into old habits & gained back the 10+ lbs I had lost.  I guess I must of missed the whole point of the 30, which is to learn about your relationship with food, identify problems, & learn new habits.  So I am back again.  I guess we must be vigilant ever after.  Tinman, I hope you get on board when you return from your travels.  It will be worth it, & will help support you in your stress!  Today is Friday again, so time to go out to dinner.  Frankly I would just as soon skip it, but not an option.  More grilled chicken salad with my own dressing.  I got up this morning & my husband had eaten the rest of my shepherds pie in the night!  I guess that is testimony that the recipes are good even if you are not on the Whole30.  RBCali, I have been wondering if you are still having cramps?  I have been thinking....about the electrolyte thing again-with all the water you are drinking (a good thing) maybe you are washing out a lot of electrolytes?  Maybe pay extra attention to getting the potassium, magnesium, etc.  Just a thought.  Something else I heard yesterday-with all the current research on the gut microbiome they have discovered that certain bacteria aid weight loss.  AND all the good bacteria need to eat (prebiotics) & these bacteria eat fiber rich plants (veg & fruit). This made me even more conscientious of having a good portion of veg at every meal.  Just a thought.  Anyway, this is getting rather long.  That's what my morning coffee does to me!:P Have a great weekend!

Hi Carla, post Whole-30 is going pretty well.  I reintroduced non-gluten grains, dairy. and added sugar carefully and one at a time, and didn't see any major issues - but I think I may have kept my quantities too small.  Ate one day at lunch at a mexican fast food place, so that would have had corn and wheat and dairy and probably some added sugar - I didn't have any MAJOR or specific issues, but I just didn't feel right the rest of the day.  I had a hamburger once too - no cheese, my homemade mayo, but a bun including gluten and ketchup - no issues, but not something I want to include in my diet with any regularity.  It was good, but not any better than eating compliant to be honest, just something different.

I guess my plan going forward is to basically continue eating Whole 30 most of the time, but not be as restrictive about going out to eat now and then.  I really don't want to have any regular consumption of off-plan foods - some desserts look or sound good for instance, but the thought of having, say, a weekly Saturday night dessert splurge, just strikes me as not worth it.  Also, there are a couple of things with small amounts of added sugar I will allow - Walker's Wood Jerk seasoning is fantastic, and I tried several fully compliant alternates that just didn't cut it.  Sugar is the last ingredient listed in the seasoning, and I use maybe a tablespoon of it for a pound meat, so the amount of sugar I'm ingesting in one meal is pretty small I think.  It doesn't really taste sweet to me, but damn, it's good :) 

I will be going to Europe for two weeks at the end of September - I am renting an apartment in Budapest so right now am planning on: 1) cooking at least one meal per day; 2) trying to make mostly compliant choices as often as possible; 3) enjoying the heck out of my stay, so if bread is called for now and then, so be it.  I spoke with a whole 30 friend who now lives in Europe (originally from the states), and she shared some advice about limiting the "damage" from off plan foods on vacation - got the above from her, and other good ways of thinking about it.

jb

Hi Everybody,

Today is my Day30 of my first Whole30. I'm a little disappointed because I had blood work done yesterday, but did not see any improvement in the areas I was hoping to see. The main one is my AC1 which is an indicator of pre-diabetes. I have a doctor's appointment in two weeks so I'll talk more about the results with my doctor, but I was hoping to see something better that what I got.

Jim4884 - how long were you on Whole30 before you saw the results you mentioned 

All-in-all I do like the way I "feel" from eating according to the Whole30 protocol. I've definitely lost some weight, but not sure how much since they recommend not stepping on a scale. I think for me the biggest change is that I no longer feel bloated and I rarely have heartburn which I had every night before Whole30.

CarlaB - The leg issue is still present. I wasn't having cramps in my legs, it was more a burning, aching feeling. However, I have begun to have charlie horses starting in my feet. It's crazy. I wake up in the middle of the night and my whole foot (mostly the left one) is spasming (is that a word) and I have to stretch it and work it to get the charlie horse to go away. I'll be talking to my doctor more about this issue next week. Also, thanks for sharing about what you encountered after your first Whole30. I think I too am concerned with starting reintroduction because I don't want to go back to how I was eating before. I kinda started a new diet in January following the GAPS diet, which is similar to Whole30, but it was too unstructured for me and I was constantly eating those things which were bad for my body. And, it didn't help me quit snacking at night and at work. At least with the Whole30 I've been able to focus on how to create three good meals a day and for some reason this protocol works for me. I haven't had a non-compliant snack in 30 days! I do occasionally feel like a snack, but that's when I haven't eaten all three full meals during the day. In that case, I have a mini-meal of protein and a good fat. That seems to work to scare the cravings away.

Does any body have a recommendation of a coconut water brand that is Whole30 compliant. The brands I've seen all have sugar in them. I read that coconut water is a good source of B vitamins, potassium and electrolytes.

I plan on staying on the Whole30 until after my doctor's appointment and then start reintroduction. i also want to research reintroduction some more and decide what food I want to start adding back in. I don't think it will be dairy, as I'm sure I'll over indulge on cheese and I don't want to do that.

Thanks for listening (reading) :-)

Hi RBCali. I'm wondering if you got my answer yesterday on the other post?  I have to admit, I am a little hazy on how all this works:huh:  Yesterday was a difficult day for me-day 11.  I wanted to snack, was feeling down, & REALLY wanted a glass (or more) of wine!  I had a short night's sleep the night before, had a baked potato at restaurant the night before along with steak & veg.  I love potatoes.  More than sugar.  I think I will avoid them for the rest of the Whole30 as they have too much power over me.  Anyway, I got through the cravings, got a long nights sleep & feel a lot better this morning.  SO glad I didn't give you in!  Enough about me.  How are you all doing?

On 8/19/2017 at 2:05 PM, RBCali said:

Hi Everybody,

Today is my Day30 of my first Whole30. I'm a little disappointed because I had blood work done yesterday, but did not see any improvement in the areas I was hoping to see. The main one is my AC1 which is an indicator of pre-diabetes. I have a doctor's appointment in two weeks so I'll talk more about the results with my doctor, but I was hoping to see something better that what I got.

Jim4884 - how long were you on Whole30 before you saw the results you mentioned 

Wow, you didn't see ANY improvement in AC1?  I drastically improved mine in about 45 days, but about half of that was just "mostly" W30 and the other half I was trying but still was eating (unknowingly) a couple of non-compliant items.  No idea why we got such different results.   I'm no help except suggesting you find a nutritionist to consult with...

I have just hit my half way point. I am 61 and have been on every diet there is. I also am not "feeling" this incredible change. I have stopped using protein bars to snack on, let go of my beloved splenda and no longer use vanilla soy creamer in my coffee. (I can't believe I am drinking black coffee) I do have a little more energy as the couch has stop calling my name in late afternoon. However, I really don't think I have lost weight, which for me was the goal. I was eating a vegetarian diet before I switched back to this as I was thinking it was to carb loaded. I have decided to eliminate nuts and see if that helps. I will carry on as I promised myself I would do 30 days even if the results were not what I expected. I wish there was a "camp" I could go to for a month and return enlightened. Are there other 60 somethings out there that are wondering if its even possible to get rid of the weight at this age? I have been dieting since my mother put me in weight watchers at 11 and now I feel like I probably ruined my metabolism! 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, hillarywah said:

I have just hit my half way point. I am 61 and have been on every diet there is. I also am not "feeling" this incredible change. I have stopped using protein bars to snack on, let go of my beloved splenda and no longer use vanilla soy creamer in my coffee. (I can't believe I am drinking black coffee) I do have a little more energy as the couch has stop calling my name in late afternoon. However, I really don't think I have lost weight, which for me was the goal. I was eating a vegetarian diet before I switched back to this as I was thinking it was to carb loaded. I have decided to eliminate nuts and see if that helps. I will carry on as I promised myself I would do 30 days even if the results were not what I expected. I wish there was a "camp" I could go to for a month and return enlightened. Are there other 60 somethings out there that are wondering if its even possible to get rid of the weight at this age? I have been dieting since my mother put me in weight watchers at 11 and now I feel like I probably ruined my metabolism! 

Hi Hillary - Just stay the course... you're only on Day 15 :)  Also, depending on where you came from diet wise, it could take your body some time to trust that this is going to be a lasting change.  as well, your body may be prioritizing healing internally over dropping weight.  I'm really sorry to hear that you were in WW at 11... that's terrible :(  Be patient, you CAN drop extra weight in your 60's but you may need to be more patient with your body... there's definitely nothing about eating whole, healthy foods that's going to be problematic.

Archived