Plantains

kb0426

Several years ago I traveled to Miami for work. When I was there, I had the most delicious plantains. I made an attempt to create them at home and IT WORKED!

Peel and slice the plantain. I sliced it the length of the plantain, not in little circles. I sliced as thin as I could, but they were probably still about 1/8th of an inch wide.

Heat coconut oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. I used enough to just fill the bottom of the pan. Place the plantain strips in the pan. Do not leave unattended. I have had epic plantain failures in the past by thinking you can walk away. Once these bad boys start to caramelize they go from great to burnt quickly.

Keep cooking and flipping until they are a nice deep brown - but not burnt :). Remove to a plate lined with paper towels.

The beauty of the ones I had in Miami was the garlic and butter on them. So, I put a tbl of ghee in a small saucepan and added a teaspoon of minced garlic once the ghee had melted. Swirl the garlic around in the ghee.

I poured the garlic ghee over the plantains - yes, while they were still on the paper towel. I didn't want a pool of ghee on them, just a nice coating. I know; it makes sense in my head, but probably not here!

Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and eat hot.

Delicious!

• 1 month later...

Thanks heaps for that, looks like a great source!

How long have you been living Paleo? I see you're an advanced member, so you are obviously experienced at this. I've done one successful whole30 and am mostly sticking to it. I'll be starting another early January.

Well we were paleo last year Oct-April 12, with dairy, although I did a few (or maybe lots!) of whole 30 attempts during that time, as well as CrossFit, but then stuff happened, and I did nothing until went back to paleo Oct this year, while still trying to do a whole 30 (damn you starbucks drivethru!!) But I am working on it :) Do you have kids or anything? I have 2 boys 2 and 5 :) The only person I know living in the Blue Mountains is my midwife I had for my youngest's homebirth lol

Two words stood out in your post - CrossFit and Starbucks!!! Didn't know we had either out here. Where do you do CrossFit? It sounds very intensive - how do you find it?

I have 3 sons - 24, 22, 20. The eldest two have just finished Whole 30s and both lost over 10kgs!! I was so proud of them for sticking to it, although when someone packs all your meals to take to work I'm sure that makes it easier!!! My challenge now will be to let them ride their own bikes without giving them the evil eye when they even look at something they shouldn't :angry: (and that's exactly how I would look).

They say they'll join me on the next w30 starting Jan. Fingers crossed!

CrossFit Blacktownmore infotransparent.png‎

5/62 Owen Street

Glendenning NSW 2761

0466 532 917

This is where I was going. I loved it alot. It made me feel amazing. Stuff happened though and have not been since April.

CrossFit workouts make sense though, no mirrors, and lots of people encouraging you.

Starbucks Drivethru is in Mt Druitt.

Wow good on your sons :)

Y'all peer pressured me into buying them...husbie thought they were bananas...no dear, not bananas.

I am going to slice em and fry em in a bit of coconut oil and sprinkle with cinnamon...unless y'all have an easier recipe...I like to keep it simple (see: lazy)

mj - you might like the double fry method (aka not so lazy but not too hard ;)).

Slice into circles, fry, remove and flatten (squish!) with the bottom of a glass, and refry.

Keep an eye on them - plantains go from caramelized to burnt fast!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 12/21/2012 at 1:08 PM, kb0426 said:

mj - you might like the double fry method (aka not so lazy but not too hard ;)).

Slice into circles, fry, remove and flatten (squish!) with the bottom of a glass, and refry.

Keep an eye on them - plantains go from caramelized to burnt fast!

Is this getting borderline to the level of a chip?

1 hour ago, Guadopt1997 said:

Is this getting borderline to the level of a chip?

Yup:

For that reason, we do not allow frying starchy veggies and turning them into chips during your Whole30.

http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

But that post is from 2012 so I'm sure the topic has been clarified further in other posts over the years.

Kirk, thanks for responding. So what about the recipe that was at the top of this thread? Or is it better to leave plantains off the table?

Peel and slice the plantain. I sliced it the length of the plantain, not in little circles. I sliced as thin as I could, but they were probably still about 1/8th of an inch wide.

Heat coconut oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. I used enough to just fill the bottom of the pan. Place the plantain strips in the pan. Do not leave unattended. I have had epic plantain failures in the past by thinking you can walk away. Once these bad boys start to caramelize they go from great to burnt quickly.

Keep cooking and flipping until they are a nice deep brown - but not burnt :). Remove to a plate lined with paper towels.

Archived