Starting 8/28 Excited

Scott W

Day 17! I am so excited that I have made it this far :D  No Slip ups. I've been packing lunch and breakfast and planning meals. I still miss my wine, but I know I can have some eventually. I guess I don't "need" it. I used to have my ritual glass of wine to unwind after work. Now I'm having herbal tea. 

I cannot believe how much better I sleep now. Before whole 30 I had to take sleep meds. Several days in, I found my sleep meds were making  me sleepy during the day. My brain is no longer foggy and I don't have an afternoon slump where I need caffeine. I do still enjoy my morning black coffee, but that is the only caffeine I am consuming. 

At first I thought I'd try the whole 30, but now I'm convinced this is how I need to live. After whole 30, I won't go back to bread, sugar, etc. I will enjoy an occasional glass of wine and some cheese, but it won't be an every day thing. Wine & Cheese is really the only thing I miss. I definitely see another Whole 30 in my near future.  

My 18 year old son has been sticking with it as well. It has been awesome to have someone at home to do this with. He's cooked meals and helped plan our meals/shopping. I am so blessed to have such an awesome kid. He's so excited that his clothes fit better and he went down a size in his jeans.

I had tried whole 30 before, but didn't make it beyond day 3, so this is huge for me. I almost cannot believe it, but my clothes are telling me otherwise and it is an awesome feeling. 

I hope everyone is doing well! 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, I had a dream last night that I had a cheeseburger and some chocolate and as I ate it I was thinking WTF and I was bummed thinking why did I do that.  I don't recall dreaming about food before and I am definitely glad on day 18 that it was just a dream lol

Interesting @Scott W   I also had some very vivid dreams about cheating earlier in my program.  I woke up feeling relieved that I hadn't actually done the deed.

I am closing in on one week left. I can't believe it.  I'm not gonna lie and say it's easy.  I think I am still overeating.  Yesterday after a hard workout, then lunch, I was still hungry and finished by filling up on dates and walnuts.  I'm sure these transgressions are keeping me from really losing weight, plus robbing me of a greater sense of accomplishment, which I know that the authors claim is the bigger worry.  Even though I suspect I have only lost a wee bit of weight, I am determined to not jump on the scale until I have assessed all the NSVs as mentioned in the book, once my re-into begins.  I do feel that my clothes are fitting slightly better, so I have probably lost a couple of pounds.

I am supposed to be in the tiger blood phase.  All I can say is that I have enjoyed a few very good workouts this weeks.  Plenty of energy and no light-headedness like that which came in the first week.   My sleep is very good, once I fall asleep, however I can't say that I am falling asleep quicker.  Overall I feel pretty good and am enjoying adding vegetables to my typical breakfast of eggs in some form, potatoes or sweet potatoes fried in ghee with some onions, and often a bit of smoked salmon as well.  I typically stir fry several leaves of chopped kale to have with my breakfast and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Last night I made a chicken curry with broccoli, carrots and coconut milk and leftover chicken breasts.  I had it over leftover  potatoes which I fried.  The boys had theirs with some rice.  We all found the meal delicious.  I think after this program is over, I will continue eating more potatoes, and sweet potatoes rather than wheat-based foods.

I hope you all are staying strong for your final third of the challenge.  I think I can make it.  But I am worried about  the re-introduction week.  I'm afraid I'll say 'to hell with it' and simply re-introduce all at once.

Good luck to all,

Mo

Had one of those chuck-it -all and why bother days. Not really sure why but thankfully before I listened to that inner voice, I pulled it together. It was too much of a stretch to think about making it to day 30, so I started thinking about what I wanted to feel like a few hours away. Disappointed was not on that list!    So now I sit, sipping a seltzer, waiting for a lovely batch of chicken cacciatore to finish cooking. The house smells wonderful and I feel motivated again. Hope everyone out there is doing well!

Hi Mistyfire and everyone,

I also had the chicken cacciatore recipe last night!  And I am also getting rather fed up with this program.  I bought blueberries at the store yesterday, and could not think of any way to enjoy them other than with my usual plain yogurt.

I've renamed Saturday as 'Cheese Day'.  That thought is probably going to carry me through the last 6 days of this program.

Controlling myself during re-introduction is my scariest thought right now.

I hope everyone is doing well.

5 hours ago, Mau_hutch said:

Hi Mistyfire and everyone,

I also had the chicken cacciatore recipe last night!  And I am also getting rather fed up with this program.  I bought blueberries at the store yesterday, and could not think of any way to enjoy them other than with my usual plain yogurt.

I've renamed Saturday as 'Cheese Day'.  That thought is probably going to carry me through the last 6 days of this program.

Controlling myself during re-introduction is my scariest thought right now.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Well hang in there.  Just think that your life can change and all you have to do is NOT do certain things which is namely eating certain foods.   Most things that come with a price means you have to DO something.  It can become a mind game which can make it seem easier.

good luck and hang in there

• Moderators
On 9/17/2017 at 6:44 AM, Mau_hutch said:

I bought blueberries at the store yesterday, and could not think of any way to enjoy them other than with my usual plain yogurt.

They're good plain, or tossed into a salad with chicken, spinach, a few walnuts, and balsamic vinaigrette. This one sounds weird, but it's good, really:  https://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/20/sweet-and-savory-blueberry-omelet/

45 minutes ago, Mau_hutch said:

it is waffling from ok, to tough

Is there anything in particular that's making it tough? Could you use suggestions for anything? New recipes, ways to deal with food prep, food boredom, hunger, lack of hunger? If you tell us what's going on, maybe someone will be able to suggest something helpful?

Oh thanks for the reply.

i think what is tough are the cravings for my old food. Not that I'm not enjoying my food, I am.

Also, I'm a bit tired of eggs and fried potatoes. I'm probably not trying enough new recipes, perhaps only a couple of new recipes per week, and I'm enjoying them, and especially am gobbling up all my leftovers. It is wonderful to waste less than normal.

There are lots of things I love: I'm eating up all the veggies in my fridge, so as a result, what I'm eating is quite lovely and fresh. I also have significantly fewer obsessive thoughts about food. I also absolutely adore the freedom from the scale. Very mentally healthy to be free of it.

thanks again.

5 hours ago, Scott W said:

Day 22 is going great.  Anyone interested in extending for a Whole60?

I'm thinking of extending. I have small patch left from my rosacea outbreak that pushed me to start this round. It's 90% better but I'm looking for even better. My downfall is dairy. I'm paying the price for those summertime iced coffees, ice cream, and more cheese events - I exceeded my "is it worth it" quotient. I have a few specific re-intro foods I want to test to see if they make my skin feel like it's burning my face off. So at least a W45, maybe a W60 for me. 

@Mau_hutchThere are lots of things I love: I'm eating up all the veggies in my fridge, so as a result, what I'm eating is quite lovely and fresh. I also have significantly fewer obsessive thoughts about food. I also absolutely adore the freedom from the scale. Very mentally healthy to be free of it.

Yes, these are things I love, too. I haven't weighed my self since I did my first W30 2 years ago - just go by the fit of my clothes (which is better but not quite there yet).  And I love having fresh food in my fridge!  Meal prep is not always fun but most nights when I get home from work, I have something really good waiting for me as a leftover.  Hope you  can hang in there and do re-intros well; that's where the real learning starts!

23 hours ago, Scott W said:

Day 22 is going great.  Anyone interested in extending for a Whole60?

Not sure if I could get through another 30 days of this right off the bat.

I've found that throughout the last 3 weeks I've done really well with controlling my food intake, but I've let myself fall out of my workout routine completely. I meant to only take the first week off (because I rightfully anticipated feeling bad/having low energy as I detoxed), but even after moving through that I found it really difficult for me to eat hard boiled eggs & sweet potatoes first thing in the morning. So I just haven't gone.. :( which I know is terrible. I'm really missing my go-tos in the morning: oats & berries, my nutri-bullet shakes...

I know I want to continue with the non-processed food eating, but I'm thinking I may try to adhere to a longer-term, loosely-Paleo-based diet.. something with a little bit more flexibility so I don't feel so overwhelmed and can mentally and physically get myself back into a workout routine. But who knows, I could have a drastic change of heart after my reintroduction period.

Hope everyone is holding strong and feelin' good.

Morning all.

Had Fried potatoes and onions, stir-fried kale, a fried egg, and fried trout this morning for breakfast.  The only thing not fried was some avocado that needed to get used ASAP, so I tossed it onto my breakfast.  Never in my life would have thought this would make terrific breakfast fare.  

@julie.oliver

Hey there, too bad that you were not working out for the beginning of the program.  I forced myself to go to the gym a fair bit, but had a bit of a slothful week last week. In the first week, I definitely monitored my effort level and kept it lowish and watched for light-headedness.  I think if you try another whole thirty, it would be good to make sure you continue working out at the level you were before or slightly under in intensity but not frequency.  I didn't find it to be that bad at all.   And for breakfast, I never thought I'd go for sweet potatoes and the other foods that are recommended, but somehow when you add that delicious GHEE it magically makes everything taste SO appetizing. Did you make yourself some ghee?  If not, highly recommend it!  I wouldn't feel like eating what I was cooking, then one bite into my meal, happiness!  major YUM!

Good luck all!

Maureen

Wow.  I can't believe tomorrow is cheese day!

I have to say that I slipped yesterday.  Had dinner with parents, was starving, and they had a catered meal.  The only offered carbs were a bun and rice.  I opted to eat about half the rice, and turned down the bun and some chocolate cake too!  I'm forgiving myself the rice, because I know that when kids have food sensitivities they are given the BRAT diet  bananas rice apples and something..  So I'm guessing I don't react in an inflammatory way to rice.  It's also a victory because after eating that non-compliant meal, I was actually super-excited this morning about having my typical breakfast of fish and sweet potatoes and kale and a fried egg.  Crazy!  I'm fairly sue that I will have many many compliant meals in my future.

But, I'm really looking forward to melting some cheese on my eggs tomorrow lemme tell ya.

@Scott W  I can't believe I am saying this but I am considering another whole30!  And right away!  Originally, I wanted to be back on regular food by Canadian Thanksgiving  (Oct 8).  I'm Canadian and the thought of this holiday without stuffing and pumpkin pie was too much.  But, I can't believe it; I got on the scale today and I am down almost 10 pounds!!!!

Needless to say, that result THRILLED me so much that I felt like starting right over again.  When measuring my level of happiness against  the difficulty of compliance (98% of the time) the scale tips me towards the happiness side of  doing this.  And I know it's not supposed to be about the scale.  I did take stock of the non-scale victories before stepping on, and they were numerous.  Biggest one for me was freedom FROM the scale.

About 9 years ago, I lost 52 lbs.  I very slowly and in a healthy way went from 212.5 lbs down to about 160 (my ideal weight).  Then I kept it mostly off  - hovering between 168 and 173 for perhaps 6 years.   But about 3 years ago, I started going into a mild depression and began to not care as much.  I ate to comfort myself and to entertain myself.  I was shocked to get on the scale at the doctor's office at my last visit not long ago at 197 lbs!   I think my home scale said around 192, but whatever....  Anyway, last night I got on the scale before bed  (I usually would weigh in the morning, but I was super curious and ready to weigh), and it said 187!  Then to get a 'typical' weight, I got on this morning and it said 185!  Woo hoo!   That's only about 20 lbs above my happy point, so I figure, why stop now????  I mean this was doing the program but not following all the rules about snacking: I was snacking on fruit quite regularly and having dates and walnuts for lunch  a couple of times.

I think what I might do is complete the re-introduction that I was planning, just to check for reactions.  Then if all is ok, I will stay compliant 6 days out of seven.  Perhaps when I go out to a restaurant, I will allow myself one non-compliant food choice, provided all reactions are ok.

Waddya think?

Good luck to all!

mo

@Scott W

Dang it all, Scott et al.  I've broken.  Yesterday I ate bread, AND dairy including ice cream.  I started out fine. ..ate my typical breakfast of eggs, avocado, fried potatoes with onions and kale, and a bit of smoked salmon.  But then had a super stressful morning and just caved at lunch with some bread and cold cuts and margarine and on it went with basically no exclusions for the rest of the day.  Not really bingeing, but not in total control either.

Today, I'm feeling not terrible, but a bit flatulent.  (Sorry TMI)  And my tummy is a wee bit churny.     I was afraid that it would happen and now I'm terribly worried that this will lead to all or nothing thinking.  But unfortunately, right now I'm not totally ready to jump back on the band wagon.  I'm going to try for the next two weeks to follow an S diet  (no sweets no snacks and no seconds except on S days  - Saturdays, Sundays, and special days) -  until Oct 8th,  Canadian thanksgiving.  Then I plan on weighing myself - seeing if I am up. down, or neutral, and then starting my new whole30 on the 10th of October. The 9th is a holiday here in Canada, so the 10th will be a fresher re-start date.

EEK  don't forget about me.  Somebody message me in a week or so to make sure I'm not a total wreck???

Maureen

2 hours ago, Mau_hutch said:

EEK  don't forget about me.  Somebody message me in a week or so to make sure I'm not a total wreck???

Don't wreck it Mau, you posted yourself about all your gains.  I finished my whole 30 early August and have remained 90+ % compliant.  I am currently on vacation in Budapest (fantastic city) and actually have been able to find lots of whole 30-ish meals - grilled meat and veggies or grilled meat on salads are easy to find here.  But my off plan splurges (eating a little bread every day, local beer and wine, some dairy) have my arthritic ankle inflamed again, some dry flaky skin returning, etc.  Let's take care of ourselves and make good food choices!  I fly back on Wednesday and will check in with you after that if I don't get to before then...

Well day 30 is finally here, and I will take my measurements and weight tomorrow. I expect them to be encouraging,  however, at this point I am just simply amazed at how I feel in my attitude and the fact that I have not had any alcohol for 30 days. I feel great and I'm going to do another 30 days. 

Archived