August 14th Start Date

Teatsie

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also starting tomorrow! About to head to the grocery store and whole foods to start cooking tonight/tomorrow. I've done the W30 once before but didn't complete it. I'm starting this next W30 with out the option to quit. Let's do this!

I am starting tomorrow as well.  This will be my second Whole30.  I completed my first last October (after several failed attempts).  Would love to use this forum to check in throughout.  I found the accountability last time really helped!

I'm totally down to check this thread for the next 30 days- I did 27 days of a whole 30 before and am looking forward to actually completing this time. Tonight is the final night of Ben & Jerry accompanying me through a Game of Thrones binge evening. Tomorrow is day 1 of throwing this Sugar Monkey off my back!! See you all tomorrow!!

Hello, I started my 1st Whole 30 yesterday (the 13th). I am in Europe (Switzerland) so finding compliant food and reading ingredients and food labels is a little tricky. Luckily, I am used to preparing most of my own food as finding prepared food that is healthy has been a challenge since moving here. Looking forward to checkins and sharing information. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, aug2017w30 said:

Good Morning. Day 1 starting off well.  Black coffee, Sweet potatoes and coconut flakes (allergic to egg) for breakfast and 3.5 mile run. looking to stay strong.

You're going to get the best results if you make all your meals meet the meal template, so you really need to find some protein to have with breakfast. Some people find it helpful to think in terms of meal1, meal2, and meal3, rather than breakfast, lunch, and dinner -- it reinforces the idea that anything you eat for one meal, you can eat for any other meal as well. Here's a previous discussion with lots of non-egg breakfast ideas:  

and you can download the meal template here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

Hi All!  I started today as well!  I have looked at this Program a few times and after talking to a customer at lunch last Wednesday, decided I wanted to jump in.  I have done Weight Watchers and various BeachBody programs for years.  I'll do great with nutrition, then drop off the wagon.  I am really looking forward to refocusing and detoxifying.
I bought the book Thursday, read through it, did lots of Google searches, saved and printed various recipes, made my grocery list and went shopping.   I'm still trying to wrap my head around not getting on a scale for the next 30 days (when I focus on programs, I know I focus too much on the scale, so I understand the reasoning), and not tracking food, calories, etc. (a result of following BB and WW - both are big on tracking).  I am really looking forward to finding my Food Freedom.  
I know I need to get a little (ok a lot) more intimate with the food template quickly ...... Breakfast today was scrambled eggs with baby carrots - ate the carrots while making the eggs (I work out first thing in the morning and had to eat something while I was cooking) and coffee with NutPods creamer, had a banana later; and lunch was modified Broccoli and Apple Salad w/Walnuts from Paleo Leap.  I made the Whole30 mayo to use in this and it's great.  I also omitted the honey and dried cranberries and didn't use a full cup of mayo or all the onion.  I have Slow-Cooker Pork Carnitas in the crock pot (Whole30 compliant from kitchn) and will have that on romaine leafs with other veggies for dinner.  Carnitas are on of my hubby's favorite meals and I suspect it will yield lots of leftovers so I figured it was a good dinner to start with.  My struggles (aside of the usual withdrawls) will be dinners that the entire family will eat.  This is always a struggle with 12 and 15 year old girls, husband, and schedules.  And the grocery bill.......lordie - $150 at Whole Foods, then $300+ at Safeway ouch.  I'm chalking it up to "start up" costs.  The $300 at Safeway is pretty normal.......I don't typically frequent Whole Foods so that one was an anomaly.  I did check and most everything I bought at Whole Foods, I could find at Safeway for less - exceptions:  No NutPod Creamer and the Ghee was $4 more at Safeway than WF!!
I like eggs so I am good with breakfasts - at least until they get old. 
I am planning on using leftovers for lunches when I'm not running around for business meetings.  If I have business lunches, I almost always order salad with grilled chicken and use balsamic vinegar, not the restaurant dressing so I think I'll be good there too.  I'll just need to make sure I really read through the full salad description and omit cheeses and/or crouton type toppings......oh, and avoid any bread baskets!
I have (5) dinners planned - and shopped for - for this week, so should be set there.  I love crock pot meals (I work full time and have crazy kids schedules - softball, cheer, lessons, etc. so favorite slow cooker recipes and recommendations would be great!  My oldest daughter is a very picky vegetarian (who only eats limited veggies - go figure) so I could use some help there.  The kid could live on fruit and cereal and it kills me!  That and I seriously think her moving to vegetarian and increasing our pasta intake is what helped pack about 10lbs on me, not her!
Oh my.....I wrote a novel - sorry!

Rottie, I enjoy your enthusiasm! Kudos to you for doing it with your whole family. I'm not sure I could get my husband to try it if his life depended on it (right now he thinks he's healthy, to an extent he is weight-wise, but I'm afraid of what's going on on the inside) Our girls are 8 & 10 and it would be like ripping their toenails out to get them to try anything more than corn and mashed potatoes. So, I go on this adventure by myself. 

Karma rang tonight when I realized what my dinner plate said, and I thought it was very fitting. I received these "pasta" bowls a very long time ago through Mary Kay. And I love them. "Enthusiasm, Commitment, Belief and Courage" Enough said. Yes that is my empty dinner plate. And said recipe was delicious.

IMG_5851.JPG

Day 1 in the books.  It wasn't too bad, although I did rely on an emergency snack of a compliant larabar because I didn't eat enough at dinner.  My goal is to avoid doing that as much as possible. Oh, and I wanted to cry when I realized the dinner I had planned for tomorrow wasn't compliant but I already have a contingency plan!  Hope everybody's first day went well.

BecomingBrooklynn - I love your plate!!!  It is perfect.

With regards to the family - oh no.  LOL.  I wish my family would partake on this adventure.  They will modify as they wish.  I will shop for whole, approved foods with limited non-approved foods making it into my shopping cart (milk, greek yogurt, cheese, oatmeal, some bread) and I will make one meal for dinner.  What they choose to eat or not eat or add to what I make is on them.  I just figure, the more meals I can find and make that can - in some way, shape, or form - work for everyone in the family, the better.  If that means, they add something (grains, cheese, etc) or choose not to eat part of it (ie: only eat the sweet potato when I make meat stuffed sweet pototos), then so be it.  I've reluctantly realized I can only do so much.
Perfect example - tonight, I made Pork Carnitas.  They were super yum!  I put mine on Romaine lettuce and added avocado and Tapatio.  My husband put his in tortillas and added shredded cheese and salsa; my youngest had a tortilla with cheese (I made her and her sister yogurt parfaits earlier) and my oldest is at cheer (hence the yogurt parfait).

IMG_6907.JPG

Good job aug2017w30!  Starbuck's is and hopefully soon will be my "old" vice.  One thing, aside of red wine that I really enjoyed.  And I mean I savored it.  Now I'm back to making coffee at home and using the NutPods creamer and it's really good.  I remembered that I really do enjoy coffee with a little creamer rather than milk with a little expresso.

Regarding Bone Broth as your protein source, I found this in a quick google search:  " to consider is that one of the main points of the recommendation to avoid liquid calories/actually chew your food tends to be for people who would happily have a smoothie or a bulletproof coffee instead of a meal, and if someone were trying to use broth that way, I feel safe in saying that no one at Whole30 would say that's okay. Even though broth has some protein, it's still not the same as actually eating a real meal."

Breakfast for me this morning - Omelet made with 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, avocado, two huge, overflowing handfuls of spinach and Tapatio.  With that, a small amount of blueberries (anyone familiar with those colored 21DF containers?  well, I used the blue one just to hold the blueberries.  I never did use them to measure food - always found it a pain) and coffee with NutPod Vanilla creamer.  And of course, my 32oz jug of water with lemon - I always have that with me =)

IMG_6909.JPG

This might help:

Bone broth is liquid food, but bone broth is not like anything else. It is not like fruit juice or veggie smoothies or entire pureed meals. Consuming one to three mugs of bone broth per day fits nicely with the Whole30 approach to eating. However, you would be violating all that is good about a Whole30 if you used bone broth in place of any meal or even as the dominant portion of a meal. 

I found that I that thread above written by a moderator. 

I started today (had to grocery shop yesterday!). 

So far it's okay, but I feel consumed and stressed at the long haul ahead.  However, my big success was drinking my coffee with coconut milk!  And dare I say, it was not hard.  However, right now I am ravenous!  Not sure how to manage my afternoon snack cravings.  I have always eaten 4 times a day.  I did eat some olives and a few prunes so tide me over until dinner because they were easy to get!

Archived