August 14th Start Date

Teatsie

1 hour ago, Alex406 said:

Well, to further worry myself, I searched the Rx Bar website, and they literally have a Whole30 Compliant Variety Pack with the chocolate ones in there. Is this mismarketing or is it ok to eat? https://www.rxbar.com/shop/variety-packs/whole30-pack.html I ordered a pack from Amazon thinking they were all compliant until I saw a peanut butter flavored one in there.

RX bars should be for emergencies only. Don't use them for convenience, as a meal replacement, or sweet snack between meals. Emergency means you're driving home from work at 5, but get stuck in horrible traffic for 2 hours and it's now been 6 hours since your last meal and you are starving. If you can plan for an "emergency" or start using them as a convenience food - like, I don't have time to eat breakfast on my way to the gym so I'll have an RX bar - you can plan to make a template meal breakfast to go. Does that make sense?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone Day 4 and we are still here.  I missed my Starbucks terribly (note the word missed). Nutpods arrived and my purse and my mind are happy.  On the bars, I have a Larabar if I am stuck on a flight /airport for 6 hours and it is hard to find compliant things. Today had a lunch of kale-tahini dressing, chicken breasts and bit of fruit.

53 minutes ago, racheleats said:

RX bars should be for emergencies only. Don't use them for convenience, as a meal replacement, or sweet snack between meals. Emergency means you're driving home from work at 5, but get stuck in horrible traffic for 2 hours and it's now been 6 hours since your last meal and you are starving. If you can plan for an "emergency" or start using them as a convenience food - like, I don't have time to eat breakfast on my way to the gym so I'll have an RX bar - you can plan to make a template meal breakfast to go. Does that make sense?

Good advice, I'll keep them stashed for emergencies.

@Alex406:

About the RX bars, they are no longer on the Whole30 approved list and RX should not be advertising them as such.  (Please note, this doesn't mean that most RX bars are not Whole30 compliant, just that they shouldn't have any Whole30 logos on them.)

https://whole30.com/2015/06/future/

Please also keep in mind that when this was written, certain flavors may not have existed yet.  (Like most of the chocolate ones, for instance.)

"Emergency Food, Please

This change to our marketing strategy comes as a desire to provide the best guidance we can during your Whole30, and help you make the healthiest choices for your long-term goals. RxBars, Larabars, and other dried-fruit-and-nut bars are still appropriate emergency food for your Whole30, as long as the ingredients are compliant. But as always, include these in your Whole30 cautiously, as there is serious potential to use these bars in a less healthy manner during your program. As on-the-go or emergency food? Yes. As a replacement for your mid-day sugar boost, daily late-night treat, or to satisfy your Day 3 raging Sugar Dragon? While it’s not an official Whole30 rule, we’d strongly suggest no."

23 minutes ago, slc_melissa said:

@Alex406:

About the RX bars, they are no longer on the Whole30 approved list and RX should not be advertising them as such.  (Please note, this doesn't mean that most RX bars are not Whole30 compliant, just that they shouldn't have any Whole30 logos on them.)

https://whole30.com/2015/06/future/

Please also keep in mind that when this was written, certain flavors may not have existed yet.  (Like most of the chocolate ones, for instance.)

"Emergency Food, Please

This change to our marketing strategy comes as a desire to provide the best guidance we can during your Whole30, and help you make the healthiest choices for your long-term goals. RxBars, Larabars, and other dried-fruit-and-nut bars are still appropriate emergency food for your Whole30, as long as the ingredients are compliant. But as always, include these in your Whole30 cautiously, as there is serious potential to use these bars in a less healthy manner during your program. As on-the-go or emergency food? Yes. As a replacement for your mid-day sugar boost, daily late-night treat, or to satisfy your Day 3 raging Sugar Dragon? While it’s not an official Whole30 rule, we’d strongly suggest no."

This was very helpful, thank you!

2 hours ago, aug2017w30 said:

Good Morning Day 5, though it feels like Day6-7 as if someone went over me with  a truck. Who is hanging in there  ?  We did 5 days already.

It really has gone by fast. We'll be at 30 before we know it! I think the weekend will be tough, but I'm hoping to try out some new recipes and get some meal prep done on Sunday! Have a great day, everyone!

Hi. I'm late joining this forum but I started on August 14 also. I did something similar 2 years ago but I gradually fell back into my sugar eating ways, especially chocolate. So I'm doing this to get back to healthy eating. Good luck to all. 

Welcome Janisue!  We are glad to have you here and look forward to hearing your stories, trials, successes, and advice!

Aug2017 - I hear you with the mac truck!  I woke up this morning (6am) and my body hurt, my knees hurt, and I was half dreading my workout because my body hurt.  I didn't have a hard time getting up, but that could also be because I went to bed at 8:30 last night - I was exhausted.  I actually went upstairs at 8 and read until 8:30 when I turned off the lights and was out.  When I woke up, I was HUNGRY.  I made it through my T25 workout, but it was certainly a bit tougher than normal.  Unlike normal, when I was done, I immediately went to the refrigerator and starting pulling out stuff to make breakfast.  I knew EXACTLY what I wanted.  The fastest, easiest W30 breakfast:  sauteed spinach, avocado and Tapatio omelet (1 egg, 2 egg whites) with grapes and coffee w/nutpod creamer.

So, so far, so good and my symptoms, while most have been pretty mild so far, are following pretty close to the Expectations Timeline.  Seeing the timeline and knowing what I can possibly expect certainly makes my brain feel better.  I'll actually refer back to it every so often (like when I wanted to throw my plate across the kitchen at dinner) to see if my feelings/actions were "to be expected" =)  I also re-read through parts of W30 every night even though I've already read most of the entire book (First time around, I scanned recipes, skipped Pregnancy discussions, etc).  Re-reading I find rejuvenates me and helps me to commit the rules, recommendations, & REASONS for this program to memory.  Reminding myself that habits learned in childhood are hard to break and examining your relationship with food is tough -- yep, I re-read and re-read and re-read that every day.  

My symptom timeline so far:
Day 1:  Easy, peasy; Day 2: pseudo Eat All Things (I had to have small snacks between meals); Day 3: pseudo Hangover and Kill All Things; Night 4:  SLEEP, please; Day 5:  I'm sure I'll Just Want to Nap and I've been run over by a mac truck!  

If I continue on this route, be ready to hear me cry, whine and complain in a day or two when My Pants Are Tight hits!  Nooooo!!!!

OK, have a great day all!  WE'VE GOT THIS!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rottiegirl2017 said:

The fastest, easiest W30 breakfast:  sauteed spinach, avocado and Tapatio omelet (1 egg, 2 egg whites) with grapes and coffee w/nutpod creamer.

Again, as I mentioned, when eggs are your sole source of protein, it's as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most people that's 3-4 whole eggs. If you dont' want to eat that many eggs, add some leftover protein to a couple of eggs.  Also, we don't encourage only eating the whites.

Amazing recipe I tried tonight! http://realsimplegood.com/tomato-basil-cod-with-asparagus/

I used tilapia bc that's what I had on hand. But still I'm super impressed. Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of my plate (I was halfway done when I realized I should have) but here is what my leftover fillet with sauce looks like for my lunch tomorrow. Just add veg and starch. I had asparagus and a red potato with mine tonight. 

As for how I'm feeling: I couldn't complain. Never had a hangover, took my first midday nap yesterday and felt great today. Did want to kill my 10yo daughter for bullying her 8yo sister, but I think I feel like that 90% of the time anyway, so no change there. I really think my "mini prep" for the week and a half before I started really helped keep me from having crazy negative symptoms. I cut out alcohol, grains and most sugars. Kept dairy, legumes and indulged in a couple treats from my girls' Girl Scout bake sale. My goals are mostly immune related (sinusitis, acne and seasonal allergies) and fitness related (faster recovery and better energy) and I'd like to go off my antidepressants. 

Hope everyone survived the day!

B

IMG_5871.JPG

BecomingBrooklynn - that looks yummy!  I made tilapia tonight as well.  I used this recipe : http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-lemon-herb-fish-fillets-on-crispy-potato-rafts-recipes-from-the-kitchn-217625 as working template and modified (used tilapia, white sweet potato in place of russet potato, Ghee in place of butter, and cooked the fish separate from the potatoes).  This turned out amazing - even my 12 year old cleared her plate (eating the fish first).  Sorry about the plate - I usually never use large plates, but all of our smaller plates were in the dishwasher.  I got 2/3 way through the fish and potatoes and and ate all the broccoli and felt pseudo full/satisfied.  I did end up finishing most of my plate, figuring I needed the nutrients.  This is one I will make again.

IMG_6925.JPG

Hey all!  I'm just a day behind you.  But I've been blogging my days on the Whole30 Log Forum if you want to check it out!  My whole family is doing this.    

Feeling better today.  The cooking has taken over my life but it's been really yummy!  I haven't felt bloated AT ALL.  I haven't overeaten AT ALL.  I want to weight myself so bad but I refrained.  I am motivated by weight loss for sure.

Tomorrow you guys will cross the 20% done mark!  Wahoo!  

11 hours ago, superj5976 said:

Hey all!  I'm just a day behind you.  But I've been blogging my days on the Whole30 Log Forum if you want to check it out!  My whole family is doing this.    

Feeling better today.  The cooking has taken over my life but it's been really yummy!  I haven't felt bloated AT ALL.  I haven't overeaten AT ALL.  I want to weight myself so bad but I refrained.  I am motivated by weight loss for sure.

Tomorrow you guys will cross the 20% done mark!  Wahoo!  

Hi Super J!  How awesome that your whole family is along for your Whole30!  Thank you for sharing your Blog - I look forward to reading it.  I actually started a "journal" of sorts where I am writing down things, what I eat (most times), how I sleep (when there's changes), feelings, etc.  I think this will be important for me to reflect back on as I continue my journey into a healthier lifestyle.

When I got up and went to the bathroom this morning, I refused to look at the scale because I REALLY wanted to get on it.  I keep reading the W30 book, and scouring through the W30 website - my OCD - which I've found both helpful and insightful.  I like reading stories, the tidbits of advice and there are some really great one liners!

Here's to Day 6 and Day 5 for you SuperJ.  Let's make it great one.

Good morning and Happy Day 7!!  

I'm still going strong and feeling great.  Breakfast yesterday was an omelet with sauteed spinach, avocado & Tamatio with some grapes, and coffee w/Nutpods Vanilla Creamer.  Lunch was more leftover Pork Carnitas (yes, they have lasted almost a full week!) on Romaine "shells".  I had a few cubes of watermelon a "snack".  Dinner wasn't until around 7 and I had a grilled steak & roasted rosemary/garlic potato spinach salad.  Basically, this was spinach w/a touch of Primal ceasar dressing topped with grilled steak (Hubby was great an only seasoned my steak with salt, pepper, olive oil & crushed garlic) and roasted red potatoes (roasted cubed red potatoes w/rosemary, garlic and olive oil).  It was wonderful.  I think the starchy veggies may not work well for me at night though because although I slept well (10:30 - 7:30am), I woke up STARVING, much hungrier than normal.  I may have to experiment with that again in a few days.

I stopped by Safeway after I picked my older daughter up from work yesterday and picked up some new, Organic spices (I have tons of spices, but some do not give specific ingredients so I figured better to err on the side of caution), a kale mix, and some ingredients to Make a W30 crockpot Chili (I'm using ground turkey instead of beef).  I also picked up some sweet potatoes and mini sweet peppers.  I am looking forward to having chili-stuffed sweet potato and trying to make the sweet potato nests I keep seeing from Lena's kitchen on Instagram!  Aside of fruit on some days, I have not had any starchy veggies with breakfast, so I'd like to try the nests with egg, maybe even over kale  - sounds yummy.  I must need something that Kale has in it, because I've never really eaten it much and now I almost feel like I CRAVE it.  

Breakfast this morning was an omelet with sauteed spinach & Kale mix, avocado & Tamatio with some grapes, and coffee w/Nutpods Vanilla Creamer.  My thoughts for lunch today is W30 approved deli turkey wraps (deli turkey wrapped around sliced mini sweet peppers and avocado), probably with a Kale salad - LOL!!!

The kids go back to school tomorrow which likely means another trip to the grocery store  - yikes!!  So far, off the top of my head, I've spent $150 at WF last Saturday, $350 at Safeway last Sunday and $150 at Safeway yesterday.  Eating healthy is not inexpensive, but it is worth it - I know that.  I figure once I figure things out better, I should be able to better control the grocery bill (maybe larger produce portions and bulk meat from Costco?).

I hope everyone has a good day.

aug2017w30 - GREAT JOB STICKING TO PLAN!!!!  Especially with your egg allergy - I can't even imagine how challenging that would be.  What have you been having for breakfast so far?  I know the book had a lot of ideas - with leftovers being a big one.  I pulled the sweet potato nests from there.  They have some great breakfast hash ideas too.   Aidells Chicken and Apple sausage is compliant (from what I can tell) . Maybe chicken/apple sausage with sauteed spinach and grated/shredded potatoes/sweet potatoes?  I thought packing in a lot of greens in the morning would be tough but spinach has been great as it wilts down so much when sauteed.  I like sauteed kale too, but it doesn't wilt down quite as much from what I've experienced.

Rottiegirl2017- THANK YOU and YOU Too. Your posts certainly are an inspiration as well. Breakfast has been sweetpotato with unsweetened coconutflakes and 1/2 a W30 compliant sausage.  Eating meat in the morning was a challenge  but hey we are in this for reasons. I am starting to turn the bend on being hit by a truck.  Waiting for the tight pants and tiger blood..

Hope everyone had a strong  weekend.

We've made it a whole week! The weekend wasn't nearly as challenging as I was anticipating especially since we had time to cook. I've been curbing cravings by eating fruit with every meal. I allow myself to eat as much as I want, which usually ends up being a whole apple sliced and a handful of grapes.  We tried ground turkey for the first time last night and it was pretty good. We made "tacos" with it using romaine leaves.

Alex406 - I've been using ground turkey for years.  I can only vaguely remember buying ground beef maybe 2 months ago?  Aside of that, no idea.  I have bought pre-made hamburger patties for BBQ's though.

My kids started back to school today which meant my alarm is back to going off at 5am.  Surprisingly, even though I had a hard time getting to sleep last night, I woke up easily.  I got my workout in, grabbed a boiled egg & made coffee, got the kids up, dogs fed and medicated, breakfast made for the kids, showered & dressed, (breath).... got my little off with her carpool at 7:05, then I had carpool for the older ones at 7:30 (I even managed to snap some obligatory "1st Day of School" pictures).  I got back home around 7:35, and made my breakfast (sauteed Kale mix and eggs with a sliced banana) and ate around 8am.  I know that may not "ideal", but it's what I can make work and it works for me.

Week 2!!!  We are at Week 2!!!  WE.  HAVE.  GOT.  THIS!!!

Archived