I asked my husband if he would...and he said yes! Now what?

Alana in Canada

I am on Day 42 of my own whole30.

My husband was teasing me at the grocery store today about all the vegetables we were buying. On the way home, I asked him if he wanted to try the whole30 and he surprised me by saying he'd try anything once. I suggested he start next week--he has a week off--and that way if he hits some low energy it won't be a big deal. (His job is physically demanding, he's 54 and not in great shape. He's not overweight, though).

I asked him if he'd read the book. He said he wasn't that interested, but I asked him to give the first chapter a try. He agreed (though we'll see if he does or not.)

But now what? It is so strange to be introducing this too him. Any advice? Suggestions? Stories?

Thanks.

Here are a few of the challenges he/we will face:

1. He gets up and leaves for work within 1/2 hour. He is not interested in taking longer, ie, to eat something decent. Not even when I voluteered back in the early days, to get up with him and make it for him. (We've been married 15 1/2 years.)

In the past he'd just toast some waffles or take a bag of cereal and eat it dry, in the car, on the way to work.

So, hard boiled eggs for breakfast, obviously, anything else?

2) He has 1/2 hour for lunch and that's it. I have been mking him bean salads and vegetable soups to take to work (He hates taking the time to microwave, but he'll do it.) I'll just have to build up my repetoire of whole30 comient soups, I think.

The breakfast thing really has me stumped, though. Cold hard boiled eggs day after day will be awful, I think--and no veggies! How do I get a veggie into him?

I make full breakfasts, and the kids take them along in the car if they have to. This morning was scrambled eggs and fruit, for example.

I use plastic containers with separate compartments and a leak-proof top from Lock'n Lock. I get them at Lunchsense: http://www.lunchsense.com/home/lun/smartlist_29/food_containers.html

They also sell small Thermos containers at a good price if you need to keep something hot.

I forgot my biggest concern! For 15 years, now, I have been making muffins for him to eat at work. He would take 3 of them a day. I thought I was being good to him, of course, and feeding him healthily. He likes savoury things, so substituting with friut isn't really an option.

You can make a bunch of egg muffins with veggies. Delish, portable and can be eaten hot, cold or room temp. Lettuce wraps and hearty soups for lunch. If he wants to give this a try, he needs to make a few consessions. Sweet potatoes are good cold or put some ghee and cinnamon on them and he can heat it in the mw.

Thanks for the meat and veg muffin ideas: I'll have to hunt some of those down. We've talked some more and it seems that the reason he would do this is to please me--rather than do it from any impetus or interest of his own. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Well you stepped in it now. :) Take him up on it. Don't question it. Let him feel the good.

Good for you! I've been trying to get my BF on board too, but so far he's holding out one me. Does enjoy a lot of the whole 30 food though. (Sometimes lunch, but all diners) but I can't get him on board because of what would he have for breakfast?

Egg Muffins have been lately my go to dish. That and Well Fed's Egg Foo Young. I make them all a head of time so they are just re-heated or eaten cold.

Someone posted something similar to this recipe sometime ago for a casserole idea - I made muffins from it!

6-8 slices of Proscuito (bacon would well here too) fried in some coconut oil until crispy

2 pkgs of frozen spinach - thawed squeeze out any water to the best of your ability

1 tin of pumpkin

1 tin of Coconut milk

1/2 to 1 tsp of pumpkin spice

4 eggs beaten

Wait until proscuito is cooled then mix everything together. Divide amoung muffin cups equally. Bake in a 375 degree over for about 40 minutes.

So, maybe I should have started a new thread for this question, but rather than explain everything....

My husband plans to start on Monday. I will be on Day 50 of my own self imposed whole60--in other ords ten days to go before I start reintroduction. I have actually been looking forward to seeing how I react to all that stuff I'm not currently eating (I particularily miss the smoothness of yougurt.)

Anyay, my question is, should I reintroduce--or should I just continue as I have been in order to keep him company?

Currently, what I've been doing is making supper--but then adding things to it which everyone else would eat except me. So, for supper tonight, for example, we had shrimp stir-fry and the rest of the family also had rice and spring rolls. Tomorrow night, we'll have porkchops, veggies, and I may or may not cook potatoes on the side for everyone else. Just for t he record, I don't think I will cook the non-complient side dishes while my husband and I overlap our whole30's. I do want my chubby teenage children to eat more the whole 30 way than our old way....

Anyway, any suggestions or insights to help me sort this all out? Thanks.

It's OK!

I learned a long time ago not to ask a question if I wasn't willing to listen to the answer!

I had planned to reintroduce things--and then stay 80/20 complient anyway--just have a few things here and there. (Like more varieties of tea without having to worry about soy and eat butter again instead of making ghee--though I will make it for him--and other things I can't quite remember at the moment.

I'll think about this some more. I think it would not only help him but the kids, too, as I mentioned. Today is a bad craving day, though. I walked by a McD's this afternoon and smelled that fat they cook their fries in...and I'm still salivating.

There are so many things I do for my husband for no reason other than to be supportive and make home feel good. We too have been married 15 1/2 years...and I think that's why. We each do things entirely for the other person. So hey, if your other half is willing to give it a whirl for your happiness...you have a great guys. And yes, I agree with Sharon. When you know that you are his motivation, you kind of HAVE to ride the train with him. ;)

Here's to another happy and healthy 15 years!

OK, OK, Breezygoat, OK! I got it. Whole what, whole80 here I come.

Today is Day 2, and we were discussing how one's gut flora changes during the whole30 so that sensitivities may be manifest after doing the whole30 which werne't present before--and that that might include grains. He was tidying up some rice I'd made for the kids last night and said, rather mournfully, "How can you live life without eating grains?"

He's had a few nights where he says he's felt "awful." I really had to apply the thumbscrews to get him to even tell me! (He was raised to never complain.) He's still committed, though.

We were discussing my reintroduction. I will do it as outlined in the book for information and then hop right back on to eating according to the protocol on non-testing days. He's fine with it.

We've also been discussing breakfast. I have suggested I put together some trail mix for him--dried fruit and nuts and he can munch on. I suggested the egg "muffin" recipes above and he refuses to eat them cold. He has his first break at 9am (Starts work at 7, leaves the house at 6:25) and he says he'll eat then when he can warm them up. He's generally having a hard time adjusting to even eating breakfast at the moment, anyway.

Archived