Day 3 - Shaky in the AM

imaginepilates

So it's day 3 on my first Whole30. I feel great but my boyfriend woke up feeling shaky.  He usually sleeps late and eat food (for the first time) at noon.  He also tends to eat a lot between 8-10pm so Whole30 is a big change for him.  Could him being shaky in the morning be related to him not getting enough food on the Whole30 program or just a shift in his hormones? I'm trying to give him some advice but don't want to steer him the wrong way. He said he had a banana and a hard-boiled egg at around 9am this morning to see if that would help with him being shaky.

I get shaky in the morning if I eat fruit and not enough protein.  This has been an ongoing thing for me - even before Whole30.  My doctor did a three hour glucose tolerance test (like you do when pregnant) and during it my blood sugar dropped to 40.  (That is miserable btw)  Anyway, Dr told me that while I am not hypoglycemic, I could put myself into a hypoglycemic state by starting my day on an empty stomach with anything that will cause a blood sugar spike.  So I've learned NOT to eat fruit (or any sugar :) ) first thing in the morning.  It just never goes well.  My blood sugar rises and then crashes and that leads to over eating to try and compensate.  

Not sure if that's what's going on with your boyfriend - but he can test it out by skipping the banana and just having the hard boiled egg and seeing how he feels.  I feel for him!  It's a terrible feeling to be shaky - and it is definitely different than just being hungry!!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, imaginepilates said:

So it's day 3 on my first Whole30. I feel great but my boyfriend woke up feeling shaky.  He usually sleeps late and eat food (for the first time) at noon.  He also tends to eat a lot between 8-10pm so Whole30 is a big change for him.  Could him being shaky in the morning be related to him not getting enough food on the Whole30 program or just a shift in his hormones? I'm trying to give him some advice but don't want to steer him the wrong way. He said he had a banana and a hard-boiled egg at around 9am this morning to see if that would help with him being shaky.

Is he eating 3 template meals a day?  Using his own palm and thumb as a metric for portions?  Salting his food?  Drinking 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight?

28 minutes ago, Balo39 said:

I get shaky in the morning if I eat fruit and not enough protein.  This has been an ongoing thing for me - even before Whole30.  My doctor did a three hour glucose tolerance test (like you do when pregnant) and during it my blood sugar dropped to 40.  (That is miserable btw)  Anyway, Dr told me that while I am not hypoglycemic, I could put myself into a hypoglycemic state by starting my day on an empty stomach with anything that will cause a blood sugar spike.  So I've learned NOT to eat fruit (or any sugar :) ) first thing in the morning.  It just never goes well.  My blood sugar rises and then crashes and that leads to over eating to try and compensate.  

Not sure if that's what's going on with your boyfriend - but he can test it out by skipping the banana and just having the hard boiled egg and seeing how he feels.  I feel for him!  It's a terrible feeling to be shaky - and it is definitely different than just being hungry!!

Thanks so much for your insight. I'll certainly share it with him in hopes that he doesn't continue to be shaky in the morning ;)

6 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Is he eating 3 template meals a day?  Using his own palm and thumb as a metric for portions?  Salting his food?  Drinking 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight?

No, he only eats twice a day (once around noon and then again around 7).  I'm hoping he'll change that routine, but he's stubborn...lol. He's used to having oatmeal with raisins, a sausage egg wrap and a banana for his first meal.  For dinner, he usually has a protein (like chicken) with rice and a veggie for dinner.  Problem is he often snacks after dinner on chips, crackers, pretels, string cheese, etc.  He's a super snacker...lol.  

For dinner last night, he ate a hard boiled egg, 2 grilled portabello mushrooms, a small grilled sausage patty, a sweet potato and some green beans.  He also had an orange after dinner. I believe he's also salting his food (slightly) and drinks a lot of water. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, imaginepilates said:

No, he only eats twice a day (once around noon and then again around 7).  I'm hoping he'll change that routine, but he's stubborn...lol. He's used to having oatmeal with raisins, a sausage egg wrap and a banana for his first meal.  For dinner, he usually has a protein (like chicken) with rice and a veggie for dinner.  Problem is he often snacks after dinner on chips, crackers, pretels, string cheese, etc.  He's a super snacker...lol.  

For dinner last night, he ate a hard boiled egg, 2 grilled portabello mushrooms, a small grilled sausage patty, a sweet potato and some green beans.  He also had an orange after dinner. I believe he's also salting his food (slightly) and drinks a lot of water. 

So he's not eating nearly enough which is probably what's contributing to the problem... have you guys seen the template? One egg and a small sausage patty are not enough food for anyone, especially if that anyone isn't eating three times a day.

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

So he's not eating nearly enough which is probably what's contributing to the problem... have you guys seen the template? One egg and a small sausage patty are not enough food for anyone, especially if that anyone isn't eating three times a day.

I'm going to review the template.  We're new at this so we are still trying to figure it all out.

17 minutes ago, imaginepilates said:

I'm going to review the template.  We're new at this so we are still trying to figure it all out.

3 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Thanks for the tip. I just reviewed the template and realized that we're not getting enough at each meal so we'll adjust our planning. I'm sure that will improve things. :)

My boyfriend and I are on Day 5 and loving Whole30. :) This is one of the  most amazing programs I've ever done.  Even on days when I'm a bit "edgy" (like yesterday), I still love it.  I know there may be some sluggish/tired days ahead but anyone just starting the program - I promise you won't regret it.  I can see how this will be life-changing for us and that's exciting.  

• Moderators
6 hours ago, imaginepilates said:

My boyfriend and I are on Day 5 and loving Whole30. :) This is one of the  most amazing programs I've ever done.  Even on days when I'm a bit "edgy" (like yesterday), I still love it.  I know there may be some sluggish/tired days ahead but anyone just starting the program - I promise you won't regret it.  I can see how this will be life-changing for us and that's exciting.  

I merged your Day 5 post with your Day 3 post as the Day 5 seemed to be an update on how you were feeling on Day 3 :)

Archived