Day 16 and burnt out....

So today is Day 16 of my second Whole30.  The first week went by really well, the second week had its struggles, and this new week? I feel burnt out.  Is this typical? Where is my "Tiger's Blood"? I remember getting it last time I did a Whole 30, but so far it's been eluding me this time around.  Not only am I tired constantly, but I have zero drive or ambition to get anything done. I'm getting burnt out from spending all my free time cooking (even when I meal prep on the weekends, I still end up cooking a ton throughout the week!) Yesterday was the hardest because I had a ton of cravings. When I was running errands, everything I drove by looked insanely good! Maybe my dragon is just trying to get me while I'm feeling down?

One thing I did a few days ago was quit my morning cup of coffee. I switched to drinking Crio Bru in the mornings instead. I'm hoping that maybe what I'm feeling is just a result of going through caffeine withdrawal? I'm doing my best to stick to the template and have been going comfortably 4-5 hours between meals. I've even been trying to focus on getting better quality sleep at night.  But I'll admit, there have been a couple of times that I almost threw in the towel.  Maybe I just need more exciting food choices?

3 minutes ago, Caitibird said:

So today is Day 16 of my second Whole30.  The first week went by really well, the second week had its struggles, and this new week? I feel burnt out.  Is this typical? Where is my "Tiger's Blood"? I remember getting it last time I did a Whole 30, but so far it's been eluding me this time around.  Not only am I tired constantly, but I have zero drive or ambition to get anything done. I'm getting burnt out from spending all my free time cooking (even when I meal prep on the weekends, I still end up cooking a ton throughout the week!) Yesterday was the hardest because I had a ton of cravings. When I was running errands, everything I drove by looked insanely good! Maybe my dragon is just trying to get me while I'm feeling down?

One thing I did a few days ago was quit my morning cup of coffee. I switched to drinking Crio Bru in the mornings instead. I'm hoping that maybe what I'm feeling is just a result of going through caffeine withdrawal? I'm doing my best to stick to the template and have been going comfortably 4-5 hours between meals. I've even been trying to focus on getting better quality sleep at night.  But I'll admit, there have been a couple of times that I almost threw in the towel.  Maybe I just need more exciting food choices?

I'm no expert, but cutting the coffee seems like it would definitely have the effect on you. How many cups did you drink prior? Give yourself a break and go to Chipotle for a meal if you don't feel like cooking any more - that always helps me :) look up some new, simple recipes or combos to help get your excitement back up. If you want to list out a few days of food, the mods can help you pin point what might also be making you feel sluggish!

22 minutes ago, Caitibird said:

So today is Day 16 of my second Whole30.  The first week went by really well, the second week had its struggles, and this new week? I feel burnt out

One thing I did a few days ago was quit my morning cup of coffee. I switched to drinking Crio Bru in the mornings instead. I'm hoping that maybe what I'm feeling is just a result of going through caffeine withdrawal? 

Hi @Caitibird! I definitely think the elimination of coffee is affecting you. If you've had a steady daily routine of drinking it for some time, then what you are going through is completely normal. For me in the past when I've abruptly cut out coffee, it's taken about 4-5 days to feel normal again. Headaches are normal too, but hopefully you aren't have those. :)

I had never heard of Crio Bru until you mentioned it here. I just looked it up online and I'm intrigued! How's it taste? 

@racheleats & @SweetEnough, the more I think about it the more I think giving up coffee is affecting me. I was drinking roughly 2 cups a day. I never really thought I would have a caffeine withdrawal from it, as I always drank it for the taste more than the energy.  Guess I was wrong! And I wish I wasn't having the headache side effect, but I have been nursing a 2 day migraine so far :(

The Crio Bru is actually pretty good! It's got a very slight chocolate flavor to it and it's the closest thing I can get to coffee without the caffeine hit.  The only downside is the cost and it takes double the amount to brew a cup. I really like the taste of good coffee so it is hard to fill that void, but I would say Crio Bru is a good second choice!

Also, @racheleats, what do you suggest getting at Chipotle that is compliant? I wouldn't mind having a day off from preparing lunch!

Every Whole30 is different, so don't be too hard on yourself! I don't drink coffee but I imagine that would be a HUGE change if it's something you had every day prior to this. I have a tendency to struggle in the third week, also. The novelty is gone, you're either experiencing food boredom or food overload, there's no Tiger Blood, and the end doesn't seem anywhere near near enough. So in my experience, this isn't all that abnormal. 

If food prep is overwhelming (mine has been too this time around! I'm on Day 23), maybe try to simplify a little more. Just prep a bunch of your favorite veggies, meats, and sauces and combine them in different ways during the week rather than making 6 different dishes, for example. Or if you're bored with simple foods, try a NEW recipe that still has a small number of ingredients. I was just checking out the Real Food Dieticians page and they have a recipe page dedicated to 10 or fewer ingredients. I've been finding lots of inspiration lately on Instagram, too. I also think the Slow Cooker, Instant Pot, or Pressure Cooker is a life saver on days when I am just OVER the food prep. Maybe treat yourself to a cleaning service to deep clean your kitchen as a half-way point reward? These are just free-flowing thoughts. :) 

I believe Chipotle cooks everything but the carnitas in soy bean oil (including the fajita vegetables) so it's kind of difficult to get a true template meal there. You'd probably have better luck at a Whole Foods where all the ingredients for everything at their hot bar are clearly listed. 

Good luck getting over the hump!

I'm thinking more and more that the withdrawal from coffee was causing a lot of my issues. Today my headache is gone and I feel like my energy levels are normalizing. But here are the last 3 days worth of meals. Day 14 was my first day without coffee. I  can easily go 4-5 hours without being hungry, but maybe I'm missing something?

DAY 14

D14M1: Frittata w/ onions, green onions, chorizo, and sweet potato; covered in homemade mayo. 1 cup or Crio Bru w/ approx. 2 tbsp coconut milk and collagen.

D14M2: 1 ½ andouille sausages w/ roasted veggies; green beans, peppers, onions, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes. Served with guacamole.

MiniMeal: ½ andouille sausage w/ guacamole. (eaten 3 hours after lunch, wasn't going to make it to dinner)
D14M3: 2 salmon patties w/ roasted broccoli and baby potatoes. Served with homemade mayo. Small bowl of fruit, strawberries & melon.

DAY 15

D15M1:  2 eggs and a slice of prosciutto over spiralized zucchini w/ sweet potato and green onion. Covered in guacamole.

D15M2: 2 salmon patties w/ roasted broccoli and baby potatoes. Served with homemade mayo.
D15M3: Chicken apple sausage hash w/ sweet potato, mushrooms, green beans, red onion, and cherry tomatoes covered in homemade mayo. Small bowl of summer squash soup.

DAY 16

D16M1:  Frittata w/ onions, green onions, chorizo, and sweet potato; covered in homemade mayo.1 cup or Crio Bru w/ approx. 2 tbsp coconut milk and collagen.

D16M2: Leftover chicken apple sausage hash w/ green beans, onions, peppers, and cherry tomatoes w/ an andouille sausage. 1 banana. (Forgot to pack an added fat but meal held me over for 5 1/2 hours)
D16M3: Chicken apple sausage and egg, roasted broccoli and sauteed cherry tomatoes w/ spinach. Served with homemade mayo. Small bowl of fruit; strawberries & melon.

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, misshannah said:

Once I tried to give up coffee while attempting a round of W30. I thought I didn't drink enough to expect serious withdrawal issues. It was so severe, I felt like I was going crazy.

I think my brain couldnt handle all the changes at once.

Oh my gosh, I just tried this myself this week. I drink one cup of coffee a day and half the time I don't finish it. I stopped Monday and by Wednesday my brain was exploding and all the symptoms of a systemic issue flared up big time! It's absolutely nuts! Considering how bad the withdrawal was (and I am NOT a heavy user), I am now completely convinced I have to get off coffee and will do so a little more slowly (mixing decaf with caff and slowly bringing down the caffeine amount) to avoid angering some underlying issues. 

23 hours ago, Caitibird said:

@racheleats & @SweetEnough, the more I think about it the more I think giving up coffee is affecting me. I was drinking roughly 2 cups a day. I never really thought I would have a caffeine withdrawal from it, as I always drank it for the taste more than the energy.  Guess I was wrong! And I wish I wasn't having the headache side effect, but I have been nursing a 2 day migraine so far :(

The Crio Bru is actually pretty good! It's got a very slight chocolate flavor to it and it's the closest thing I can get to coffee without the caffeine hit.  The only downside is the cost and it takes double the amount to brew a cup. I really like the taste of good coffee so it is hard to fill that void, but I would say Crio Bru is a good second choice!

Also, @racheleats, what do you suggest getting at Chipotle that is compliant? I wouldn't mind having a day off from preparing lunch!

I used to drink one cup of drip coffee every morning and if I went just one morning without, I would feel like crap and have a horrible headache by noon-ish. And same as you, I wasn't drinking it to wake myself up. I love the way coffee tastes, but  couple years ago I switched to decaf and don't even drink that every day anymore because there's still some caffeine in it. I miss coffee for sure, but the physical effects are not worth is. I'll have to look into the Crio Bru since I miss having a morning beverage! I associate tea with evenings for some reason, and juice awakens my sugar dragon/is not on plan, so I was out of options haha. 

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:17 AM, Caitibird said:

You'll have to ask at your specific location to make sure, but the carnitas and chorizo aren't cooked in the rice bran oil according to their website. But, the location near you might, or it might be cooked on the same stovetop etc. I usually get salad with no dressing, chorizo and carnitas (mine separates it thank GOD!) for a double portion, extra salsa and guac if I don't have any of my own at home. Even the veggies are out because of the oil its cooked in, but sometimes they'll give you the raw veg if you ask nicely and want to bulk up your bowl!

Archived