Rholy

Bacon & cooking fat

8 posts in this topic

Hey guy's was trying to find bacon & cooking fat in store's rather than online. I'm in new York and some stores would be aldi, walmart, wegmans, trader joes, feel rite. I also can't find the sausage thats the apple kind at walmart that is on the pintrest whole30 approved at walmart shopping list. Any help or advice on those or lunch meats I can get will be greatly appreciated thank you. 

Not every store carries every product and "whole30 approved" lists of anything should be viewed with a grain of salt unless it comes directly from the folks at Whole30. 

It's honestly easier to skip lunch meat altogether and roast some meat at home, then slice it thinly. You have to check all the ingredients on all the sausages every time anyway because recipes change. The only store where I've ever seen compliant bacon is Whole Foods. And what are you looking for in regards to cooking fat? Pretty much every grocery store carries olive oil and coconut oil. If you're looking for lard or tallow, I've seen them at ShopRite and Wegmans local to me in NJ, but you don't *have* to use them. 

Ok thank you, Ill just use the olive oil or coconut. I don't have any recipes planned yet for lard. I still have to check a whole foods around me to see of they have any compliant foods. 

My local Green Acres market has Whole30 compliant bacon. You might be able to call your local smaller stores and ask. No luck on the sausage so far here.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:40 AM, Rholy said:

Hey guy's was trying to find bacon & cooking fat in store's rather than online. I'm in new York and some stores would be aldi, walmart, wegmans, trader joes, feel rite. I also can't find the sausage thats the apple kind at walmart that is on the pintrest whole30 approved at walmart shopping list. Any help or advice on those or lunch meats I can get will be greatly appreciated thank you. 

If you're able to get bacon, cook it on baking sheets in the oven, and then save the fat in a mason jar for cooking - two for one! I like to use the fat to roast potatoes and sauté all my veggies, especially shredded brussels sprouts.

TamiM likes this

Thank you ladies! I actually found whole30 compliant bacon at wegmans. It's the new on they have been posting about. Forgot the name at the moment. 

racheleats likes this

1 hour ago, Rholy said:

Thank you ladies! I actually found whole30 compliant bacon at wegmans. It's the new on they have been posting about. Forgot the name at the moment. 

Woo, love Wegmans! Was it Pedersons? It's so good. Don't forget to save the fat, I pour it right into a mason jar while it's still hot and liquidy (you could strain through cheesecloth too).

Pedersons brand has a sugar free bacon that is the best! It's sold at Whole Foods and Sprouts. I actually prefer their sugar free version over regular bacon now. It does cost a bit more. 

Sprouts and Thrive Market sell lard in a jar. I use it sometimes.