Why does my mayo taste like metal/meat?

accio_jencat

We are not currently on a round, but we still try to eat Paleo/W30 compliant much of the time. When we started our first round, I was OBSESSED with the homemade mayo. I seriously put it on EVERYTHING. However, towards the end and even now, two months later, I can't make any sort of mayo or dressing with egg in it without it tasting DISGUSTING. It takes like... metallic or raw/decaying meat. What's interesting is that we didn't use fancy eggs at the beginning of our round, but now the only eggs I buy are grass fed and pasture raised... could that be the difference? HELP! I want to be able to make delicious mayo and dressings again!

18 hours ago, accio_jencat said:

We are not currently on a round, but we still try to eat Paleo/W30 compliant much of the time. When we started our first round, I was OBSESSED with the homemade mayo. I seriously put it on EVERYTHING. However, towards the end and even now, two months later, I can't make any sort of mayo or dressing with egg in it without it tasting DISGUSTING. It takes like... metallic or raw/decaying meat. What's interesting is that we didn't use fancy eggs at the beginning of our round, but now the only eggs I buy are grass fed and pasture raised... could that be the difference? HELP! I want to be able to make delicious mayo and dressings again!

Did you change the kind of oil you are using? That is so strange (and really sad - homemade mayo is life!).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the metallic taste problem too. :-(

Just like you, when I first started, it was delicious but now it's all weird and metallic.  I've always used the fancy eggs, so I don't think that's it. I was wondering if maybe I've added too much lemon?  The recipe probably doesn't account for the huge Texas sized lemons...

Hopefully someone can solve this because I miss my yummy mayo!

Just now, accio_jencat said:

Yes! I tried to make it entirely out of avocado oil and it wouldn't emulsify - just stayed liquidy and gross

Try adding another egg yolk to the liquidy mixture and blend again with the immersion blender. That fixes it for me every time!

• 2 weeks later...

This is the recipe I use. Hope it helps.

Homemade Mayonaise
Yield: 1 cup

1 egg
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
2 cloves garlic
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon water
1 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin)

In a blender, mix the egg, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and water until frothy. Add oil in a slow stream until mayonnaise thickens and the blender blades spin without mixing. Ready!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, 2plus2 said:

This is the recipe I use. Hope it helps.

Homemade Mayonaise
Yield: 1 cup

1 egg
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
2 cloves garlic
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon water
1 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin)

In a blender, mix the egg, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and water until frothy. Add oil in a slow stream until mayonnaise thickens and the blender blades spin without mixing. Ready!

Try taking out the water?  Never seen water in a mayo recipe... 

• Moderators

Stay away from copper or aluminum bowls —the lemon juice can react with the metal and impart a metallic taste into your mayo. Use glass for best results. I use a mason jar. You might also try apple cider vinegar instead of lemon.

More tips for failed mayo:

I've had good luck fixing failed mayo by refrigerating it until cold,  then blending in another egg.

Best practice: Use a stick blender. I have never had a failed batch when putting everything in a mason jar, then sink the hand blender to the bottom, blend, veeerrrrryyy slowly pulling the blender up a millimeter at a time.

Other things to tweak next time: make sure your egg is room temp, not cold. You can speed it up by putting the whole egg (not yet cracked) in hot water for a few minutes.

Add the chopped garlic afterwards.

On 9/25/2017 at 11:44 AM, SugarcubeOD said:

Try taking out the water?  Never seen water in a mayo recipe... 

I know it sounds strange, but this is my favorite recipe and it's always turns out great. Found it online and adjusted it to be Whole30 compliant.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, 2plus2 said:

I know it sounds strange, but this is my favorite recipe and it's always turns out great. Found it online and adjusted it to be Whole30 compliant.

Oh sorry, I thought you were the poster that was having the problems... carry on then :)

On 9/25/2017 at 10:58 AM, ultrarunnergirl said:

Stay away from copper or aluminum bowls —the lemon juice can react with the metal and impart a metallic taste into your mayo. Use glass for best results. I use a mason jar. You might also try apple cider vinegar instead of lemon.

More tips for failed mayo:

I've had good luck fixing failed mayo by refrigerating it until cold,  then blending in another egg.

Best practice: Use a stick blender. I have never had a failed batch when putting everything in a mason jar, then sink the hand blender to the bottom, blend, veeerrrrryyy slowly pulling the blender up a millimeter at a time.

Other things to tweak next time: make sure your egg is room temp, not cold. You can speed it up by putting the whole egg (not yet cracked) in hot water for a few minutes.

Add the chopped garlic afterwards.

I've never made it in glass bowls. Sometimes the food processor, sometimes immersion blender. Same taste. I've tried both room temp and cold eggs. 

I tried one the other day from the recipe in Nom Nom Paleo (with mustard powder instead of dijon) and it almost worked. It was almost flavorless because there was no garlic, but that was better than meat/metal. The next day the mayo tasted just as gross as all the other recipes!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Are you using the light tasting olive oil?  I just made a batch with that when I was out of town and I didn't like the taste of it.  I usually use 1/2 and 1/2 MCT oil (NOW brand) and avocado oil (from Primal Kitchen).  I've used all MCT and that is ok.  I've tried other avocado oils and don't love them.  

Do you notice the meat/metal taste at other times?  Does the gentleman in the picture taste it too?

Archived