accio_jencat

Why does my mayo taste like metal/meat?

8 posts in this topic

We are not currently on a round, but we still try to eat Paleo/W30 compliant much of the time. When we started our first round, I was OBSESSED with the homemade mayo. I seriously put it on EVERYTHING. However, towards the end and even now, two months later, I can't make any sort of mayo or dressing with egg in it without it tasting DISGUSTING. It takes like... metallic or raw/decaying meat. What's interesting is that we didn't use fancy eggs at the beginning of our round, but now the only eggs I buy are grass fed and pasture raised... could that be the difference? HELP! I want to be able to make delicious mayo and dressings again!

18 hours ago, accio_jencat said:

We are not currently on a round, but we still try to eat Paleo/W30 compliant much of the time. When we started our first round, I was OBSESSED with the homemade mayo. I seriously put it on EVERYTHING. However, towards the end and even now, two months later, I can't make any sort of mayo or dressing with egg in it without it tasting DISGUSTING. It takes like... metallic or raw/decaying meat. What's interesting is that we didn't use fancy eggs at the beginning of our round, but now the only eggs I buy are grass fed and pasture raised... could that be the difference? HELP! I want to be able to make delicious mayo and dressings again!

Did you change the kind of oil you are using? That is so strange (and really sad - homemade mayo is life!).

I'm having the metallic taste problem too. :-(

Just like you, when I first started, it was delicious but now it's all weird and metallic.  I've always used the fancy eggs, so I don't think that's it. I was wondering if maybe I've added too much lemon?  The recipe probably doesn't account for the huge Texas sized lemons...

Hopefully someone can solve this because I miss my yummy mayo!

34 minutes ago, laura_juggles said:

Is it possible the oil's gone off? 

I have tried 3 different brands so no - I bought each bottle new. Also tried to make it entirely out of avocado oil and it wouldn't emulsify

On 8/21/2017 at 9:55 AM, racheleats said:

Did you change the kind of oil you are using? That is so strange (and really sad - homemade mayo is life!).

Yes! I tried to make it entirely out of avocado oil and it wouldn't emulsify - just stayed liquidy and gross

Just now, accio_jencat said:

Yes! I tried to make it entirely out of avocado oil and it wouldn't emulsify - just stayed liquidy and gross

Try adding another egg yolk to the liquidy mixture and blend again with the immersion blender. That fixes it for me every time!