Day 22 - Evening Cravings

CathyLZ

Hi,

Day 22 first Whole30. It's going great! I love it. I feel phenomenal and for the first time in 12 years I have NO neck pain. Miracle!

However, the last few nights, I have started craving sweets in the evening. (Before W30, I indulged in dark chocolate just before bedtime.) I kind of gave in and had an apple with almond butter the first night and an apple and 2 dates the second night. Tonight, I would do anything for a crisp apple! That's why I'm here.

My question is: Why now? I haven't had these cravings before now. And I don't feel like my menu has varied much since starting. I eat dinner at 5:30/6ish most nights. I do eat a lot of potatoes (sweet, baby red, regular old brown ones!).

Here's my food for the last 3 days. Thoughts?

Monday: 

Breakfast: 2 poached eggs, with diced tomatoes and onions over potatoes and 1/4 of avocado. Coffee with coconut milk.

lunch: Vegetable sweet potato chili with ground beef and 1/2 avocado

Afternoon coffee with coconut milk

Dinner: Rosemary baked chicken (3 legs) with potatoes in olive oil with onions and sautéed veggies with coconut aminos

Sunday:

Breakfast: 2 eggs over veggie and sausage sweet potato hash with 1/4 avocado. Coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch: Steak on a stick and baked potato with broccoli and grilled onions (at a faire)

Afternoon cup of coffee with coconut milk.

Dinner: Bone in pork chop with spinach and Brussels sprouts

Saturday:

Breakfast: 2 eggs over roasted beets, potatoes and onions. Coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch: Salmon salad with coconut aminos (dressing) and side of steamed veggies (lunch at restaurant)

Dinner: Apple Chicken Sausage with pickles, roasted veggies and potatoes. La Croix with dinner.

• Moderators

Your meals are a bit light in general... eggs when they are the sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... 3-4 for most people.  Avocado portion for fat is a half to a whole avo.  I don't think the veggies you're listing constitute a FULL plate at every meal altho some might get there... One sausage is not (i assume) the width, depth and thickness of your palm, so you could increase that too.

Nutrition is cumulative so it could just be catching up with you.  Get familiar again with the template (linked in my signature below), make sure you're always adding fat (cooking fat barely counts) and then just power through those cravings.  Giving in with fruit (or nuts) is not going to help, as you can see, it just perpetuates the craving.  Take a bath, read a book or go to bed... just don't give in.  Today, if you're actually hungry (like you could eat steamed fish and broccoli) then eat some protein and fat (a few bites of each) and then compose your meals a bit better tomorrow :)  

Thank you! I'll give these changes a try. One other thing I'm noticing is that I do feel sufficiently full after each meal. And full to the point that I couldn't eat another bite. This doesn't happen with every meal though. 

Last night I didn't cave! I drank tea instead and went to bed :)

Archived