#SeptemberWhole30

alisonmae

Hey everyone!

On the cusp of my 30th birthday, suffering from migraines and asthma, my boyfriend and I have decided to tackle the Whole30 together! We were originally going to do it in November, and after double checking calendars and training schedules (we are both runners with numerous race events we've already paid for, so we didn't want to struggle and feel we had wasted our money), we decided to move our start date up, to September 4th! Little did we know, there'd be a big movement to have as many people as possible participating in the month of September! 

This will be coming days after our second overnight relay in the month of August (CLR and Hood to Coast), AND my 30th birthday! What better way to start off a new decade than with improving my health?! 

I am committing to this challenge in hopes of getting my nutrition on point as a runner, to rewire my brain about food and cravings, and to hopefully discover trigger foods for my migraines and asthma! 

I will be chronicling this journey for us via Instagram - @rundrinknerd - feel free to follow along! We look forward to getting inspired by all of you, sharing our journey, and hopefully inspiring others to take the challenge!

Cheers! 

Alison

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Alison, I'm also going to participate in the September Whole30! I'm an aspiring runner and have my first 5k race on September 9th and then start training for an 8k the week after the 5k. I'll have to follow along on your running and Whole30-ing adventures on Instagram.

This will be my 2nd Whole30 and I'm doing it for several reasons:

1) I can feel my bad habits slowly sneaking back in. Time to get back to eating the way that makes me feel good.

2) I'm a grad student hoping to graduate by the end of the semester, so I'll be writing my dissertation pretty hard all fall. Writing is stressful for me and I can tell this semester has the potential for me to slip back into the snacking all day long trap to deal with the stress of writing. I think being on a Whole30 will help me learn to deal with the stress in better and healthier ways.

3) Reintroduction. I want to do a proper reintroduction this time. Last Whole30, I was on a tight schedule and couldn't reintroduce everything I wanted to. I'd love to take about a month to do specific reintroductions of certain foods.

4) Tiger blood. I'd love to get there this time. I have much more stable energy levels than I did before the Whole30, but I don't have tons of energy to burn either.

5) Keep up my NSVs - My skin is clearer, my GI system functions much better, I feel better about myself, I'm not reliant on the scale, I've changed my relationship with food and really cut down on emotional eating, and I'm better at planning and making healthy food for myself even when I'm tired. 

Who else is joining the September Whole30?

Hi! Surprising to only see two posts.. so much momentum for the September start.. I am indeed a newbie although have had the books on my shelf for a few years and am very health conscious/aware but have been avoiding (superbly stubborn) making the lifestyle more important and consistent. I know I wasn't really ready until now and am definitely looking forward to the journey and learning so much more about my body and what it really needs. **as a side note: I have also followed @Melissa Hartwig for awhile on IG and she has got to be one of the Best Humans on the Planet - girl has some amazing qualities and those kind that you know you want more of in your own inner being. She continually leaves me inspired (laughing in the best possible way) and massively impressed- I am largely here because of her. <3 

@nahannilove Welcome! I agree, I am surprised that there isn't more momentum here for the September Whole30. I guess most people who are active on Whole30 social media are getting their support there rather than here. And that's OK, of course. :) I'm pretty excited to follow along with the mass Whole30 and see how everyone does. 

My name is Alison and I'm starting on September 4th.... What a coincidence @alisonmae!

I'm a recent law grad and I packed on the pounds under the stress of school.  I also have a congenital thyroid disorder but in law school my TSH levels fluctuated wildly.  So while I'm looking for some results on the scale, I also hope for some overall wellness wins!  

I'm hoping that because my whole routine is changing right now (starting a new job, living with new roommates, etc.) that a healthier diet will be easier to adopt because I have no old patterns in this environment.  Let's see if I'm totally delusional!

Hi all,

I too am newbie although I have also had the books on my shelf for a few years.  I have tried before and had very little luck, maybe made it to day 10.   I think do to the fact that I am trying on my own and not using the resources.  So, here it goes....  I am 41 and had always been active my whole life.  Until recently, I worked out regularly.  Skiing, swimming and running are my passions but have also picked up golf, tai chi and do yoga regularly.   I have two teenage boys, three if you count my husband who are also very active and I love to cook, which is good because my boys are always hungry.  I recently had knee surgery and am unable to do much of anything for the next 6 months, very slow recovery.  So, I guess now it the time to focus on my food in take, as I have always focused on my output.  As you age, you will find that it is not the gym that keeps your body going it is what you feed your body, I am slowly, stubbornly adjusting, lol. 

Looking forward to making connections.  Enjoy the moment and live for today.

Many thanks, Amy

Hi folks~ I start September 1st on my 3rd 30D. I am so excited! I have MS, so I can't do all this running, jumping, twisting  & shouting you ladies do, but I plan on being able to walk (just a little bit) come November 1st! I love the challenge of this. This time, I really want to permanently eliminate the SAD stuff. Good luck ladies!!!

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, LydiaJo said:

Question: I am rereading  It Starts With Food. Is it of value to read all of the books?

Each book covers slightly different things. You don't have to read them all -- in fact you could do a whole30 without reading any of them just using the free resources available on the website -- but you might take a look at this page that lists each book with a brief description of what they cover and see if you feel any of the others would be helpful for you:  https://whole30.com/books/

Hey guys! My name is Shelby and I'm going to start on September 1st. I am a college student and a runner and I have been trying to find ways to improve my health and fitness for years. I figure this is the best way to go :) 

6 hours ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Welcome everyone! I'm happy to see so many more people joining all the fun!

Is anyone doing any prep work this weekend?  I just cooked about 6 lbs of meat and made zoodles for the first time. I'm hoping I won't have to do any more cooking until at least Thursday or maybe even Friday!

I've been journaling my WHY and a tips page for when I have cravings what to go to... including come to this Forum. I did spend some time cleaning my fridge and cupboards WOW that was interesting. Had food in there in packages I think I have moved twice! So liberating. It does feel pretty significant to do these kinds of prep other than the food prep to be successful- at least it feels good to do them. I also have spent some time reading in the books as well watching others on YouTube Whole30 videos. Nice you are doing so much food prep... do you like the Zoodler?? I looked at it but didn't buy,, maybe I should? 

@nahannilove Sounds like you did some excellent prep! I especially love the part about thinking through what to do when you get cravings. I made it through my first Whole30 without a spiralizer, so I don't think it's necessary. I just bought a small one I found at the grocery store to see if I would even like spiralized veggies. I had zoodles with homemade whole30 pasta sauce last night and I really enjoyed it. If I use this one enough, I may invest in an upgraded one with more blades.

@LydiaJo I'm sharing a fridge and freezer with others, so I've got almost no space too. You should see how precariously my fridge space is stacked right now, LOL. Most of what I cooked is for this week, so technically it isn't for my actual Whole30, but I've been keeping my cooking Whole30-compliant since my last round. Where I've started to slip a little is eating out and buying treats here and there. It's not as bad as it once was, but I feel like I'm heading in a direction I don't want, so I'm preemptively correcting the course before it gets out of hand and I find myself eating fast food with cookies for dessert every night again. :blink: Spicy tuna cakes sound great! I also love the Mexican salmon cakes from the whole30 cookbook. The recipe was posted on the whole30 blog a few months ago and I've loved them every time I've made them. I'm always looking for more ways to add fish to my diet, so that's a good recipe for me. :) 

Starting September 1.  I'm not a runner, nor do much exercise and I have not done Whole30 before.  I'm a yo-yo dieter and have tried everything on the planet except for Whole30.  I am anxious to see how I fare with this plan.  I so need to lose the weight, but I'm more interested in being healthy.  I'm hoping to learn how to be wise in my eating habits.  I'm on a strict budget and am interested to see how this plan will fit into my money. :)  I'm really going to lean on the wisdom of those who have done this before and look forward to reading posts, tips, and encouragement along the way! 

Wish me luck!  I'm wishing all those who are #SeptemberWhole30 starting as well! 

-CBS

On 8/24/2017 at 7:24 AM, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Hi Alison, I'm also going to participate in the September Whole30! I'm an aspiring runner and have my first 5k race on September 9th and then start training for an 8k the week after the 5k. I'll have to follow along on your running and Whole30-ing adventures on Instagram.

This will be my 2nd Whole30 and I'm doing it for several reasons:

1) I can feel my bad habits slowly sneaking back in. Time to get back to eating the way that makes me feel good.

2) I'm a grad student hoping to graduate by the end of the semester, so I'll be writing my dissertation pretty hard all fall. Writing is stressful for me and I can tell this semester has the potential for me to slip back into the snacking all day long trap to deal with the stress of writing. I think being on a Whole30 will help me learn to deal with the stress in better and healthier ways.

3) Reintroduction. I want to do a proper reintroduction this time. Last Whole30, I was on a tight schedule and couldn't reintroduce everything I wanted to. I'd love to take about a month to do specific reintroductions of certain foods.

4) Tiger blood. I'd love to get there this time. I have much more stable energy levels than I did before the Whole30, but I don't have tons of energy to burn either.

5) Keep up my NSVs - My skin is clearer, my GI system functions much better, I feel better about myself, I'm not reliant on the scale, I've changed my relationship with food and really cut down on emotional eating, and I'm better at planning and making healthy food for myself even when I'm tired. 

Who else is joining the September Whole30?

Yay for getting out there and signing up for races! The fact that the first race I signed up for would sweep people going slower than a certain pace kept me motivated to keep training! Good luck on your races!

On 8/26/2017 at 2:47 PM, Aliwan_Kenobi said:

My name is Alison and I'm starting on September 4th.... What a coincidence @alisonmae!

I'm a recent law grad and I packed on the pounds under the stress of school.  I also have a congenital thyroid disorder but in law school my TSH levels fluctuated wildly.  So while I'm looking for some results on the scale, I also hope for some overall wellness wins!  

I'm hoping that because my whole routine is changing right now (starting a new job, living with new roommates, etc.) that a healthier diet will be easier to adopt because I have no old patterns in this environment.  Let's see if I'm totally delusional!

Not delusional! We totally got this fellow-Alison! Haha! And congrats on your recent graduation from law school! Way to go!

On 8/26/2017 at 9:47 PM, AprilLynne said:

@alisonmae I will be joining the September challenge, starting on the 1st (R4), and I completed my first Portland to Coast this weekend. So.much.fun!!!

I just finished my first Hood to Coast this weekend! I thought I'd be tired and sore yesterday (Sunday)...but man, this whole Monday business is kicking my butt! The swelling started late last night and I struggled getting out of bed this morning! Lots of water and stretching for me today! 

Congrats on your race! 

22 hours ago, alisonmae said:

Yay for getting out there and signing up for races! The fact that the first race I signed up for would sweep people going slower than a certain pace kept me motivated to keep training! Good luck on your races!

Thanks! I'm training with a group, so that has been helping to keep up my motivation. I'm still not quite where I'd like to be yet, but I'm definitely improving and that's helping keep my motivation up too. 

Hi All!! My name is Alexa and I'm starting my second whole30 Sep 1st! My husband and I finished our first one august 5th and are excited about jumping into a second one. Neither of us did the proper reintroductions although I haven't reintroduced dairy because I already knew it was a terrible trigger for me. After a vacation and several birthday celebrations I'm excited to get back into a more strict program. I have an almost 2 year old little girl that I'd love to get eating more of these types of foods at an earlier age too! I'm a full time personal trainer and exercise on my own 5x a week (run/hiit/crossfit) so i'd also love to totally NAIL my pre/post workout meals as well.

I'll be sharing my journey/recipes etc on here as well as my blog so i'd love if you all followed along there as well: alexamassie.wordpress.com

or Instagram @alexa_massie

also!!! CHOMPS sticks were/are such a staple for me on a whole30 and they were awesome enough to give me a discount code for everyone for 10% off so if you need to order some for emergencies (chomps.com) you can enter ALEXAMASSIE at checkout :)

Looking forward to seeing everyones progress these next 30 days!

Archived