#SeptemberWhole30

alisonmae

On 8/27/2017 at 2:36 PM, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Welcome everyone! I'm happy to see so many more people joining all the fun!

Is anyone doing any prep work this weekend?  I just cooked about 6 lbs of meat and made zoodles for the first time. I'm hoping I won't have to do any more cooking until at least Thursday or maybe even Friday!

Hi all, I have been filling my house with good options and I have cut up lots of veggies and cooked meat so that it is easy to grab and snack.  My biggest downfall is not that I don't like the foods, it is that I run out of time and then I am starving and grab whatever in my reach.  Looking forward to starting. 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, dwelle said:

Hi all, I have been filling my house with good options and I have cut up lots of veggies and cooked meat so that it is easy to grab and snack.  My biggest downfall is not that I don't like the foods, it is that I run out of time and then I am starving and grab whatever in my reach.  Looking forward to starting. 

That's a great prep strategy! I remember once having to make a meal out of (compliant) deli meat, some fresh veggies, and an apple + nut butter. It wasn't exactly the best template meal ever, but I had forgotten to eat lunch and I had to leave for an appointment in 15 mins. No time to make anything, so it was pretty lucky I had some compliant things I could throw together. 

I'm thinking of participating in the September W30 as well, although I decided this a couple of days ago. I've been contemplating it for a couple of years, but have never gone through with it. I think I'm afraid of failing, which is the story of my life. But I'm 80# overweight, have thyroid issues, asthma, possible sleep apnea, and overwhelming fatigue. No time like the present, I guess! 

Another Alison who's starting September 4th here!  This will be my third round.  I'm currently nursing my wonderful almost 6 month old daughter.  I'm looking forward to the challenge of the whole30 and used this week to practice meal prepping/packing/shopping with the addition of parental responsibilities.  I feel READY to do this and am excited at the prospect of better energy levels (sleep isn't quite consistent yet!).  I've also let my sugar cravings get the best of me, so I'm ready to get those back under control.  

In another coincidence, I also am in the beginning of my running journey and am on week 3 of couch to 5K.  I'm normally more a HIIT type work out person, but I'm not cleared for intense work outs yet.  I wanted to get back into some sort of fitness routine, and couch to 5k fit the bill in terms of time commitment/work out level.  I've never been a runner, so I'm surprised by how much I look forward to my evening runs.

I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing and using this board/thread to keep me on track!

Hello everyone!  I'm here representing the over 50 year old crowd.  I'm excited to find out how whole30 makes me feel.  I've be following a ketogenic diet for some time but have stalled out lately.  Hate to give up my diet sodas but I'm ready to take on this challenge.  

I am in for September! I had an amazing Whole 30 in May but the past three weeks have been a detour into Bad Habit City. Right now I am working on prepping stuff for the freezer, specifically then pounds of Crockpot caramelized onions and beef and bell pepper chili that I love to serve over a roasted potato.

I'm in for September! This is my first Whole30 so I'm excited, overwhelmed, intimidated, etc.

I'm a 31 year old working single mama. My lifestyle isn't always the healthiest & I do believe I have an unhealthy attachment to food. I also have frequent stomach discomfort, depleted energy ALL the time & general lack of get up & go. I'm looking forward to getting support & supporting others.

We got this! ❤️

18 hours ago, alw289 said:

Another Alison who's starting September 4th here!  This will be my third round.  I'm currently nursing my wonderful almost 6 month old daughter.  I'm looking forward to the challenge of the whole30 and used this week to practice meal prepping/packing/shopping with the addition of parental responsibilities.  I feel READY to do this and am excited at the prospect of better energy levels (sleep isn't quite consistent yet!).  I've also let my sugar cravings get the best of me, so I'm ready to get those back under control.  

In another coincidence, I also am in the beginning of my running journey and am on week 3 of couch to 5K.  I'm normally more a HIIT type work out person, but I'm not cleared for intense work outs yet.  I wanted to get back into some sort of fitness routine, and couch to 5k fit the bill in terms of time commitment/work out level.  I've never been a runner, so I'm surprised by how much I look forward to my evening runs.

I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing and using this board/thread to keep me on track!

I also started my running journey with the couch to 5k program last April, although I'll admit that I kind of started to hate running around week 4 or so...I'm sure you're in better shape than I was at that time, so I'd bet you'll be fine. :)

And welcome! I'll be looking forward to hearing your progress on your Whole30 journey. 

20 hours ago, JanellaR said:

I'm thinking of participating in the September W30 as well, although I decided this a couple of days ago. I've been contemplating it for a couple of years, but have never gone through with it. I think I'm afraid of failing, which is the story of my life. But I'm 80# overweight, have thyroid issues, asthma, possible sleep apnea, and overwhelming fatigue. No time like the present, I guess! 

Hello, Janella! let's do it togheter!

10 hours ago, rashidagetsfit said:

I'm in for September! This is my first Whole30 so I'm excited, overwhelmed, intimidated, etc.

I'm a 31 year old working single mama. My lifestyle isn't always the healthiest & I do believe I have an unhealthy attachment to food. I also have frequent stomach discomfort, depleted energy ALL the time & general lack of get up & go. I'm looking forward to getting support & supporting others.

We got this! ❤️

Welcome! Your reasons for starting sound a lot like mine at the beginning of my first Whole30. I had lots of GI issues and hardly any energy. I can say the Whole30 has helped me quite a bit with both things, so I hope it does the same for you!

Welcome to everyone else too @Alofa0509, @Ana Monica, @EDianaJ, @JanellaR, @CBS17, and @alexamassie! @Selcazare that chili sounds awesome. Perfect for fall!

How is everyone spending their last day(s) before starting the Whole30? My sugar dragon keeps telling me I need to eat all the things I won't be eating for the next 30 days. I try to tell it that's a silly plan...I don't really want Oreos, cake, pie, etc. and to eat it now just *in case* I might want it over the next 30 days is kind of ridiculous. That's like saying "I know I'm going to be thirsty tomorrow, so I'd better drink a ton of water today." :P It just won't work and will probably lead to increased cravings for off-plan things while I'm on the Whole30.

7 minutes ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Welcome to everyone else too @Alofa0509, @Ana Monica, @EDianaJ, @JanellaR, @CBS17, and @alexamassie! @Selcazare that chili sounds awesome. Perfect for fall!

How is everyone spending their last day(s) before starting the Whole30? My sugar dragon keeps telling me I need to eat all the things I won't be eating for the next 30 days. I try to tell it that's a silly plan...I don't really want Oreos, cake, pie, etc. and to eat it now just *in case* I might want it over the next 30 days is kind of ridiculous. That's like saying "I know I'm going to be thirsty tomorrow, so I'd better drink a ton of water today." :P It just won't work and will probably lead to increased cravings for off-plan things while I'm on the Whole30.

Hello @NoneOtherThanAmy ! Thank you for the wlcome.  Start aW30 round  in a friday...what a callenge! I need to do groceries ASAP!  That's not my firts round, and I have pretty good habits since last october ..but today I'll say good bye to my wine, for sure! 

21 hours ago, JanellaR said:

I 100% understand the fear of failure.  But you know what?  Failing isn't the end of the world.  I think once I started looking at failure as an opportunity to learn (why did I fail?  Was there something I could have done differently?) not only was I less likely to actually FAIL, I was way more likely to actually attempt things!  This is my third whole30 and this is 100% something worth doing.  Write out what obstacles might come in between you and your goal (finishing the whole30) and come up with things you'll do instead.  For me, office treats are an obstacle, so I stocked up no green tea and will make myself a cup of it when I'm tempted by the treats.  When I'm craving an adult beverage after a long day, I'll have club soda or seltzer water.  Those are just two examples, but you get the idea.

You can do this!  Come here with questions/doubts and you'll get the support you need

41 minutes ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Oh, I love that that reframing of cravings!  I'll be using that as I navigate this labor day weekend (starting September 4th).  This is my 3rd whole30 and for the first time I've been "easing" into it.  

I am totally eating all the things before starting tomorrow. But I plan on doing a Whole90 this go around. I did really well on the 30 last time, but relapsed a month later. And I know I need more days to help overcome some of the mental issues that lead to eating all the things. I did my first Whole30 in April and it went really well. I do still follow some of the guidelines. I've had whole30 breakfast and lunches for almost every day since then and we still enjoy a lot of the yummy recipes I use to make.

@Miranda E I am totally eating everything that isn't on the plan before I start tomorrow!  I'm hoping I won't have the massive sugar withdrawal that I am fearing I am going to have!  @NoneOtherThanAmy thank you for the welcome!  I'm glad to have this forum to help with the encouragement that I need.  From what it sounds like, I need to do some major cooking this weekend?

Good luck to all!  

Hi everyone -- mind if I join you?  I've done 4 rounds of W30 over the last couple of years and have found that joining a thread like this and sharing experiences is very helpful for me. A group of girls at work are doing this round with me too!  Get your mind right for Day 1 tomorrow! This is going to be fun!!

3 hours ago, alw289 said:

I 100% understand the fear of failure.  But you know what?  Failing isn't the end of the world.  I think once I started looking at failure as an opportunity to learn (why did I fail?  Was there something I could have done differently?) not only was I less likely to actually FAIL, I was way more likely to actually attempt things!  This is my third whole30 and this is 100% something worth doing.  Write out what obstacles might come in between you and your goal (finishing the whole30) and come up with things you'll do instead.  For me, office treats are an obstacle, so I stocked up no green tea and will make myself a cup of it when I'm tempted by the treats.  When I'm craving an adult beverage after a long day, I'll have club soda or seltzer water.  Those are just two examples, but you get the idea.

You can do this!  Come here with questions/doubts and you'll get the support you need

Thank you! I've never followed any kind of plan or program or diet before, so I have no idea how I'll do with all of the restrictions. 

I'm much too busy getting ready for a move (closing on a second home in another state), so I don't think it's the best time for a full commitment to the W30 just yet. Planning on it for January, though - and it gives me plenty of time to prep! I'm thinking of having my husband so some reading so we can do it together. He's got GI issues I'm hoping W30 can help with. 

I'm thinking of doing a dairy elimination in September, as Melissa describes in Food Freedom Forever. I've often wondered if I have issues with dairy. At least I can "practice" for a complete Whole30 later!

5 hours ago, Ana Monica said:

Hello, Janella! let's do it togheter!

I've decided this morning to commit to a full Whole30 in January, which will give me plenty of prep time. We're in the midst of preparations to go up and close on a second home in Idaho, and be there for a couple of months settling in, spending time with grandkids, etc. I will be doing a dairy elimination, for September. I'm all in for that, plus cutting everything else as much as possible, just not going to worry if I trip up. 

46 minutes ago, JanellaR said:

Thank you! I've never followed any kind of plan or program or diet before, so I have no idea how I'll do with all of the restrictions. 

I'm much too busy getting ready for a move (closing on a second home in another state), so I don't think it's the best time for a full commitment to the W30 just yet. Planning on it for January, though - and it gives me plenty of time to prep! I'm thinking of having my husband so some reading so we can do it together. He's got GI issues I'm hoping W30 can help with. 

I'm thinking of doing a dairy elimination in September, as Melissa describes in Food Freedom Forever. I've often wondered if I have issues with dairy. At least I can "practice" for a complete Whole30 later!

Timing is SO important.  Definitely take this opportunity to test out some recipes to find a few that you know you love and are confident you can make.  It'll make your first round a lot easier!  Good luck with your move!

Hello Ya'll I'm from Oklahoma City and will start my Whole30 with my Mather-in-law on September 5th .  I am 44yrs old and have suffered with Lupus, RA for 22yrs.  A year ago I decided to make a change, I was SICK and TIRED of all the medication, Cemo and other drugs I was taking.  I started praying God would help me find answers.  First I found doTerra  Natural Oils  that has been so wonderful, but then I know I could so more to help myself.  A close family cousin was starting the whole30 diet and started sharing all her knowledge about the program.  I watched her and her husband change their life with the whole30 journey, I wanted nothing more then to do the same.  I'm so excited but so scared at the same time.  I know this is going to be hard but I think I'm ready.   

Archived