alisonmae

#SeptemberWhole30

169 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, stacie66 said:

Hello, All!  

I'm on Day 5 and had a quick question. Went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up a couple of RX Bars to keep in my purse and car, just in case of emergency. As far as I can tell they are compliant with the program. Can anyone confirm and if so, how are they? Thanks :)

https://whole30.com/2015/06/future/

Only for emergencies.  There are some with ingredients that aren't Whole30 compliant.  And I think there was a post from Melissa at some point about the chocolatey ones NOT being compliant to the "spirit" of the Whole30 even though their ingredients are technically compliant.  So stay away from the chocolate ones and the peanut ones.  Blueberry is my favorite.

stacie66 and Sunshine1 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snowflower said:

https://whole30.com/2015/06/future/

Only for emergencies.  There are some with ingredients that aren't Whole30 compliant.  And I think there was a post from Melissa at some point about the chocolatey ones NOT being compliant to the "spirit" of the Whole30 even though their ingredients are technically compliant.  So stay away from the chocolate ones and the peanut ones.  Blueberry is my favorite.

Well, crap!  Of course the two that I bought were chocolatey.  Good to know!  I'll grab a couple of the blueberry bars on my next trip.  Thanks, Snowflower!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for helping keep up the motivation! After dealing with a cold and traveling for the holiday, it feels great to be back on track! 

When you're not on Whole 30 the PB RX bar is an awesome pre-workout snack. Their website will tell you which are Whole 30 approved. 

Sunshine1 and stacie66 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not gonna lie, today is tough for me. I've got GI issues, constipation while simultaneously needing to go more frequently than normal :unsure:, and it's just a tough day of work. I'll make it through, but it's not a fun day.

How is everyone else doing? Have you all started? Anybody have some NSVs to share yet? I need some positivity for today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am reading this while eating my lunch-- a big tossed salad with paleo ranch dressing and salmon cakes! And I agree, canned salmon can be a bit nasty. 

Last night I made roasted pork belly strips in BBQ sauce! kinda like this,  http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/books/the-delia-collection-pork/belly-pork-strips-in-barbecue-sauce  but I added some red potatoes and red peppers to the onion and used a compliant BBQ sauce.  My husband was worried when I pulled the leftovers out of the frig this morning for my breakfast, thought there wouldnt be leftovers for him for lunch.  But there are. 

I survived a potluck picnic yesterday by making sure I had my meal with me so I didn't need to eat chips, cookies, and pasta salad.  

This is my day 5, so far feeling good and in control. 

4 hours ago, snowflower said:

I double the recipe and freeze them.  They are so good to have on hand for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner.  

Have you ever used canned salmon for anything?  If not.....warning....it's pretty nasty.  I take the spinal bones out (and give them to my dog), but they are totally edible and I have left them in the cakes before, but didn't care for the extra crunch.  I leave in the little rib bones because it's too time consuming to try to dig those out.  I also peel away the dark skin and give that to my dog too.  I don't like the color or the texture.  You should definitely make these...they will become a staple.

 

NoneOtherThanAmy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone!  (and Happy Birthday, Alison! - Thanks for starting this thread!)  I started on September 1st with my very first Whole 30.  I have been aware of the program forever, but I've been struggling with weight loss and have "tried everything" but eventually got embarrassed after calorie counting, weight watchers, etc etc didn't last.  I just wasn't super committed and came up with excuses to stop restricting myself (since I thought "no one cares but me anyway and I want this _____ (cookie, alcohol, pizza roll, whatever)").  I didn't want to tell anyone that I was doing this (at this point only 4 people in my life know) because I didn't want to fail publicly again to regain control of my health.  But, here I am on day 5 and haven't murdered anyone ;).  JK, it hasn't been as bad as I thought, but I am kinda short tempered today.  I'm proud of all of us for working hard to change our relationships with food and have a healthy lifestyle.  I always hated the phrase "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels", but seriously, 5 days in and not being constantly bloated, I haven't had knee pain a single day yet, and my pants feel so much looser that I have to agree, with modification, that "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels".  I would love to lose weight, but truly, I don't want to be a slave to food.  I don't want to feel controlled by food, use it as my comfort, or feel embarrassed about what/how much I'm eating, or eat in secret.  I want more out of life than that and I am hoping that Whole 30 will be healthy path in that direction.  The biggest thing I want to work on in the next week is incorporating more veggies (that has been lacking in these first 5 days).

I hope that everyone is having an excellent day and if not, I hope that tomorrow is better.  I'm here rooting for you!!

Ps. feel free to point me in the direction of any websites for recipes or on the go snacks that you love or tips you didn't know when you started that you came to love.  Thanks so much!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like NoneOtherThanAmy, today is proving to be a challenging one. I want to quit, I really want to quit. I am so very, very tired and cranky pants does not even come close to describing how touchy I am today. I want to throat punch everyone for everything but also for nothing. I am trying to remind myself that I only have to make it through two more hours of work before I can go home and enjoy making Slow Cooker Meaty Marinara Sauce that Kelly from @thenourishinghome recently shared on Whole30 Recipes IG page, but to be honest, I know I will be too tired to cook anything tonight. I guess it's a good thing I have a few leftovers from yesterday because I will likely be in bed by 6pm - no joke. Grr, why can't I get out of this funk today? Did I mention, I really want to quit?

NoneOtherThanAmy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MeghanC17 said:

Hey everyone!  (and Happy Birthday, Alison! - Thanks for starting this thread!)  I started on September 1st with my very first Whole 30.  I have been aware of the program forever, but I've been struggling with weight loss and have "tried everything" but eventually got embarrassed after calorie counting, weight watchers, etc etc didn't last.  I just wasn't super committed and came up with excuses to stop restricting myself (since I thought "no one cares but me anyway and I want this _____ (cookie, alcohol, pizza roll, whatever)").  I didn't want to tell anyone that I was doing this (at this point only 4 people in my life know) because I didn't want to fail publicly again to regain control of my health.  But, here I am on day 5 and haven't murdered anyone ;).  JK, it hasn't been as bad as I thought, but I am kinda short tempered today.  I'm proud of all of us for working hard to change our relationships with food and have a healthy lifestyle.  I always hated the phrase "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels", but seriously, 5 days in and not being constantly bloated, I haven't had knee pain a single day yet, and my pants feel so much looser that I have to agree, with modification, that "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels".  I would love to lose weight, but truly, I don't want to be a slave to food.  I don't want to feel controlled by food, use it as my comfort, or feel embarrassed about what/how much I'm eating, or eat in secret.  I want more out of life than that and I am hoping that Whole 30 will be healthy path in that direction.  The biggest thing I want to work on in the next week is incorporating more veggies (that has been lacking in these first 5 days).

I hope that everyone is having an excellent day and if not, I hope that tomorrow is better.  I'm here rooting for you!!

Ps. feel free to point me in the direction of any websites for recipes or on the go snacks that you love or tips you didn't know when you started that you came to love.  Thanks so much!!

Welcome! And good luck! It will feel amazing to tell everyone in your life what you've accomplished in 30 days! I follow Whole 30 and Whole 30 recipies on Instagram which have good recipes and will point you to many great sources.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hefreeman said:

Like NoneOtherThanAmy, today is proving to be a challenging one. I want to quit, I really want to quit. I am so very, very tired and cranky pants does not even come close to describing how touchy I am today. I want to throat punch everyone for everything but also for nothing. I am trying to remind myself that I only have to make it through two more hours of work before I can go home and enjoy making Slow Cooker Meaty Marinara Sauce that Kelly from @thenourishinghome recently shared on Whole30 Recipes IG page, but to be honest, I know I will be too tired to cook anything tonight. I guess it's a good thing I have a few leftovers from yesterday because I will likely be in bed by 6pm - no joke. Grr, why can't I get out of this funk today? Did I mention, I really want to quit?

Don't quit! You can do it! You'll for sure regret quitting but you'll never regret making good choices!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, MeghanC17 said:

Hey everyone!  (and Happy Birthday, Alison! - Thanks for starting this thread!)  I started on September 1st with my very first Whole 30.  I have been aware of the program forever, but I've been struggling with weight loss and have "tried everything" but eventually got embarrassed after calorie counting, weight watchers, etc etc didn't last.  I just wasn't super committed and came up with excuses to stop restricting myself (since I thought "no one cares but me anyway and I want this _____ (cookie, alcohol, pizza roll, whatever)").  I didn't want to tell anyone that I was doing this (at this point only 4 people in my life know) because I didn't want to fail publicly again to regain control of my health.  But, here I am on day 5 and haven't murdered anyone ;).  JK, it hasn't been as bad as I thought, but I am kinda short tempered today.  I'm proud of all of us for working hard to change our relationships with food and have a healthy lifestyle.  I always hated the phrase "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels", but seriously, 5 days in and not being constantly bloated, I haven't had knee pain a single day yet, and my pants feel so much looser that I have to agree, with modification, that "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels".  I would love to lose weight, but truly, I don't want to be a slave to food.  I don't want to feel controlled by food, use it as my comfort, or feel embarrassed about what/how much I'm eating, or eat in secret.  I want more out of life than that and I am hoping that Whole 30 will be healthy path in that direction.  The biggest thing I want to work on in the next week is incorporating more veggies (that has been lacking in these first 5 days).

I hope that everyone is having an excellent day and if not, I hope that tomorrow is better.  I'm here rooting for you!!

Ps. feel free to point me in the direction of any websites for recipes or on the go snacks that you love or tips you didn't know when you started that you came to love.  Thanks so much!!

Thank you Meghan! I love this: "Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels"! That is something I need to keep in mind. I know this will probably help me lose a touch of weight, but what we are all really looking for with this change is improved health! Great reminder! Thank you!

And WOW! This thread has really exploded! Yay! I'm so glad we could all find each other! I have been VERY absent for awhile with the long weekend/my birthday weekend! I was really living up my last few days before diving into this! 

I am currently on Day 2 and have definitely had my ups and downs already....Stayed on point all day yesterday and even got a workout in!

Today is a different story though. (Long story ahead...fair warning) I sleep with my windows open as I do not have air conditioning and Mother Nature thinks it's a great idea to make Oregon damn near 100 the last few days! This has been our weather all summer! Hot, dry, the last rain we had was back in June and that was barely a trace...before that it was well over 50 days of no rain. With wildfires burning all over central/south Oregon and California, we need rain and temps NOT in the 90s and 100s.

Well..sadly over the weekend, a few teenagers thought it would be funny to purposefully drop smoke bombs and burning fire crackers into a beautiful hiking gorge (Eagle Creek, in the Columbia River Gorge just east of Portland). Within a matter of a couple of days the fire has raged out of control over 10,000+ acres, covered Portland in a thick layer of very unhealthy smoke, and is raining down ash all over us. I woke up with a sore throat and ash all over my bed. But I would say I'm lucky compared to the hundreds of families displaced by this fire. My heart breaks for those people and for the loss of such an amazing natural space. If you take anything away from this, it is to please pray for/send positive thoughts of rain to Oregon. Our firefighters and emergency response teams need the help! 

Needless to say, I wanted to stress eat a bit today. But I haven't! Even when I got to work and had to place an order for catering pastries, cookies, and brownies to the office in a few weeks (none of which I'll be able to eat) I still reached for my carrot sticks to munch on while I finished the order. I also found a compliant salad dressing at Fred Meyer today, so my strawberry/sweet potato/grilled chicken/spinach salad was IRRESISTIBLE!

Anyone looking for inspiration on their recipes? Check out my girl, Tiff! She's done the Whole30 twice before and is currently doing it now. AND OH YEA! She's a food blogger that makes and shares AMAZING recipes! She has a few posts specifically Whole30 compliant, but she also shares a lot of other healthy, sweet, savory, not so compliant recipes (for when you start reintroducing!)! She's all about balance and finding your happiness! http://www.parsnipsandpastries.com/

Okay! I think I've rambled on for quite long enough now! I'll try to be better about posting more updates for myself, and also for my boyfriend, who's doing this with me! (He's already experiencing sluggish feelings and a headache today... :( ) but we both know this will help us so much more in the end! Here's looking ahead at the next 28.5 days (and shorter for most of you that started on the 1st!)

Cheers!

Alison

alw289 and Selcazare like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, it's day 9 for me! So far I haven't had any cravings/headaches/tiger blood. I feel pretty normal. Hardest part for me has been staying away from beer and all the cooking/prep work needed. The only thing I've "craved" so far has been the ability to buy pre-made food so I don't have to cook!  =)

On the plus side I've gotten to use my new NomNomPaleo cookbook and it inspired me to clean and organize the kitchen. The most important thing I've learned so far is to always be prepping. In other words, every time I have the cutting board out for any reason I take the time to cut up more/different vegetables than needed for the recipe. It saves time later when I'm in a hurry and need to throw something together. 

NoneOtherThanAmy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MeghanC17 said:

I would love to lose weight, but truly, I don't want to be a slave to food.  I don't want to feel controlled by food, use it as my comfort, or feel embarrassed about what/how much I'm eating, or eat in secret.  I want more out of life than that and I am hoping that Whole 30 will be healthy path in that direction.  

oh how this rings true for me....I was a carb addict before I found Whole30 and felt so depressed and miserable most of the time.  I was constantly needing more carbs to keep my blood sugar stable and it was a vicious cycle that I couldn't break.  My first Whole30 was brutal..."the carb flu" knocked me on my a$$ for the first week.  I could barely work out and had no energy as my body was adjusting to no sugar and no processed carbs.  I added in lots of starchy veggies to get through, but it was still so tough. My point here is that the food I was eating CONTROLLED me!  Now....I control my food.  It's such a great feeling.  I'm still far from perfect and struggle with my food freedom and adding sugar back in, but I have come so far since that first Whole30.  Best of luck to you on your journey.

 

1 hour ago, hefreeman said:

Like NoneOtherThanAmy, today is proving to be a challenging one. I want to quit, I really want to quit. I am so very, very tired and cranky pants does not even come close to describing how touchy I am today. I want to throat punch everyone for everything but also for nothing. I am trying to remind myself that I only have to make it through two more hours of work before I can go home and enjoy making Slow Cooker Meaty Marinara Sauce that Kelly from @thenourishinghome recently shared on Whole30 Recipes IG page, but to be honest, I know I will be too tired to cook anything tonight. I guess it's a good thing I have a few leftovers from yesterday because I will likely be in bed by 6pm - no joke. Grr, why can't I get out of this funk today? Did I mention, I really want to quit?

HANG. IN. THERE. It does get better.  And I AM making the Slow Cooker Meaty Marinara Sauce RIGHT NOW!  If you're close to Wheaton, IL, stop by and I'll give you a plate with some zucchini noodles and some leftover wedge salad from last night. :)  

 

25 minutes ago, alisonmae said:

Today is a different story though. (Long story ahead...fair warning)

So sorry to hear about this.  Sending hopes for rain and safety for all the firefighters and families affected by this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ShellyM said:

I am reading this while eating my lunch-- a big tossed salad with paleo ranch dressing and salmon cakes! And I agree, canned salmon can be a bit nasty. 

Last night I made roasted pork belly strips in BBQ sauce! kinda like this,  http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/books/the-delia-collection-pork/belly-pork-strips-in-barbecue-sauce  but I added some red potatoes and red peppers to the onion and used a compliant BBQ sauce.  My husband was worried when I pulled the leftovers out of the frig this morning for my breakfast, thought there wouldnt be leftovers for him for lunch.  But there are. 

I survived a potluck picnic yesterday by making sure I had my meal with me so I didn't need to eat chips, cookies, and pasta salad.  

This is my day 5, so far feeling good and in control. 

 

Both meals sound great! Thanks for sharing and happy to hear you're doing well!

I agree with @snowflower and you. Canned salmon is pretty gross. I almost didn't go through with eating it until I mixed it all together and saw how all the gross stuff mixed in well and I couldn't tell it was there it anymore. I actually even eat the spine, but I try to find all the bones and crush them while I'm making the mix. I do it for the extra calcium and I don't mind the bit of crunch if I miss one. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hefreeman said:

Like NoneOtherThanAmy, today is proving to be a challenging one. I want to quit, I really want to quit. I am so very, very tired and cranky pants does not even come close to describing how touchy I am today. I want to throat punch everyone for everything but also for nothing. I am trying to remind myself that I only have to make it through two more hours of work before I can go home and enjoy making Slow Cooker Meaty Marinara Sauce that Kelly from @thenourishinghome recently shared on Whole30 Recipes IG page, but to be honest, I know I will be too tired to cook anything tonight. I guess it's a good thing I have a few leftovers from yesterday because I will likely be in bed by 6pm - no joke. Grr, why can't I get out of this funk today? Did I mention, I really want to quit?

We can both pull through! I know you can do it. Leftovers are lifesavers! I'd have been stopping at a fast food place if I didn't have pre-made meals all ready to be thrown in the microwave for tonight.

I was pretty touchy all day today too and had to remove myself from the lab for a bit when I learned that someone not only "borrowed" a piece of equipment I needed TODAY, they took it to another building on campus and left it there. :angry: Not cool. Of course, the person was the head of a lab, so it's not like I could tell him off or anything (not that I really would). I went back to my desk and knit a few rounds on a small project I keep on hand while he ran across campus to get the equipment. Felt a little calmer after the knitting, but still. Return stuff after you're done with it. 

 

hefreeman likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MeghanC17 said:

Hey everyone!  (and Happy Birthday, Alison! - Thanks for starting this thread!)  I started on September 1st with my very first Whole 30.  I have been aware of the program forever, but I've been struggling with weight loss and have "tried everything" but eventually got embarrassed after calorie counting, weight watchers, etc etc didn't last.  I just wasn't super committed and came up with excuses to stop restricting myself (since I thought "no one cares but me anyway and I want this _____ (cookie, alcohol, pizza roll, whatever)").  I didn't want to tell anyone that I was doing this (at this point only 4 people in my life know) because I didn't want to fail publicly again to regain control of my health.  But, here I am on day 5 and haven't murdered anyone ;).  JK, it hasn't been as bad as I thought, but I am kinda short tempered today.  I'm proud of all of us for working hard to change our relationships with food and have a healthy lifestyle.  I always hated the phrase "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels", but seriously, 5 days in and not being constantly bloated, I haven't had knee pain a single day yet, and my pants feel so much looser that I have to agree, with modification, that "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels".  I would love to lose weight, but truly, I don't want to be a slave to food.  I don't want to feel controlled by food, use it as my comfort, or feel embarrassed about what/how much I'm eating, or eat in secret.  I want more out of life than that and I am hoping that Whole 30 will be healthy path in that direction.  The biggest thing I want to work on in the next week is incorporating more veggies (that has been lacking in these first 5 days).

I hope that everyone is having an excellent day and if not, I hope that tomorrow is better.  I'm here rooting for you!!

Ps. feel free to point me in the direction of any websites for recipes or on the go snacks that you love or tips you didn't know when you started that you came to love.  Thanks so much!!

Welcome! I love your attitude and I'm so glad you've come here and made a commitment to your health by joining in with us. I'm too tired to look up specific websites, but I love Stupid Easy Paleo, Nom Nom Paleo, and Mel Joulwan of the Well Fed cookbooks (I've heard great things about her cookbooks, but I haven't tried one yet). If you do instagram, follow the whole30recipes account to get several whole30 recipes each day. It's kind of an amazing feed. I wish I had been following along during my first whole30.

I feel like I have a very similar story as yours. I've tried so many weightloss things that just never stuck and would be embarrassed to eat my treats or full servings of food in front of people. That has all changed since my first whole30 and I am so grateful! Food doesn't control me anymore and it did for a LONG time. :) 

 

OK I'm going to put this in a single post so I don't keep clogging up the thread ;) @alisonmae I hope you get some rain over there in Oregon! Your story puts my weather grumbling into perspective. I was cranky today because we've had a few days of humid upper 80s and 90s again after a brief reprieve the last week or so. I'll send all my good weather thoughts your way.

stacie66, snowflower and aussiegal like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, All,

Finishing up Day 5 and feel pretty good.  Didn't need a nap today, so that was a bonus. 

Sorry to hear about your weekend  @alisonmae  I hope the weather cooperates with you all! I'm in Florida and would gladly send you some of our rain! I spent the day driving around to different grocery stores to stock up on water and supplies...my patience was truly tested, but I managed to not punch anyone.

Just coming onto this board and seeing how some of you are struggling, but still keeping on the plan is really inspiring. Hang in there @hefreeman and @NoneOtherThanAmy

Someone mentioned a NSV, so I'll share one.  Today, I was so proud of myself for grilling up 4 chicken breasts. I put them on the grill and then signed into Instagram to look for a recipe from the Whole30 board to go with it.  Naturally, I ended up looking at numerous cat videos and other very important pictures.  Fast forward 1 hour....OH, CRAP, MY CHICKEN!  Normally, I would have thrown out the chicken, opened up a bottle of wine and asked my husband to pick up Panda Express, but tonight that thought never even entered my mind.  I cut off the burnt parts, chopped up the rest and mixed it with the Basic Mayo and some lemon juice and made chicken salad instead. I roasted some broccoli and sweet potatoes and then tossed in a handful of cashews, too.  I call this recipe A Big Hot Mess, but it wasn't too bad and it checked all of the food boxes needed.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!

 

Edited by SugarcubeOD
toned down swear word as it's a family friendly forum :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, @MeghanC17, your post really touched me.  I read it while in line at one of my many grocery store stops and it reminded me of my struggle in many ways. This is also my first W30 and I'm on Day 5.  You can find great recipes on Pinterest and Instagram...just remember to set a timer if you're grilling anything :rolleyes:  As far as tips go, meal prep is really the key to success. It's so easy to fall off plan if there is nothing available to throw together quickly. 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone,

My name is Jessica and I am doing the September Whole30 also. This is my second one - first time was February 2012, so it's been a while. I've been pushing the line further and further the last year or two and find myself eating things I shouldn't. I've also noticed I eat too much chocolate at work because I'm bored or stressed - not the best strategy for dealing. I've thought about doing another Whole30 for a while and couldn't face it, but this time I was excited to have some structure, so I knew I was ready.

I have fibromyalgia and many other unexplained pain areas so I am hoping this helps reduce pain. I've been gluten and dairy free since 2008 because of this.

So far so good! I did get to work today and immediately wanted to look in my chocolate drawer - so conditioned apparently. Luckily, that drawer is all cleaned out. :)

Hope it goes well for everyone. I'm always amazed at how not difficult it is - just requires some advance thought and prep time mainly.

Thanks for listening!

NoneOtherThanAmy and stacie66 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, fairedog said:

Hi everyone, it's day 9 for me! So far I haven't had any cravings/headaches/tiger blood. I feel pretty normal. Hardest part for me has been staying away from beer and all the cooking/prep work needed. The only thing I've "craved" so far has been the ability to buy pre-made food so I don't have to cook!  =)

On the plus side I've gotten to use my new NomNomPaleo cookbook and it inspired me to clean and organize the kitchen. The most important thing I've learned so far is to always be prepping. In other words, every time I have the cutting board out for any reason I take the time to cut up more/different vegetables than needed for the recipe. It saves time later when I'm in a hurry and need to throw something together. 

Which cookbook did you get? I see she just released one called "Ready or Not" or something along those lines. It's supposed to be full of quick-fix recipes and I could definitely use an arsenal of those for cooking emergencies. ;) 

Sometimes when I'm not in the mood to cook or prep much, I'll buy some pre-chopped veggies from the grocery store, there's usually a fajita mix of peppers and onions that I like, and then grab a steak. I'll slice the steak into strips, season it with salt or a garlic salt mix, and just throw it on the stove, let it cook for a bit and then add the peppers and onions. Super quick, not much prep and pretty tasty. It's also pretty expensive, so I don't do that often, but if I'm in need of a quick "treat" meal, that'll do. 

fairedog and stacie66 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still battling a cold that I acquired while traveling over Labor Day. I woke up this morning with a head cold that turned into a chest cold. I really wanted to ditch my pre-cooked frittata this morning for one of my husband's bagels (frozen, not even fresh from the bakery!). Reading the posts that came in over night helped me keep perspective! I may feel physically bad at the moment but mentally I feel great! Thanks for setting an example. 

NoneOtherThanAmy and stacie66 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, srdamore14 said:

I'm still battling a cold that I acquired while traveling over Labor Day. I woke up this morning with a head cold that turned into a chest cold. I really wanted to ditch my pre-cooked frittata this morning for one of my husband's bagels (frozen, not even fresh from the bakery!). Reading the posts that came in over night helped me keep perspective! I may feel physically bad at the moment but mentally I feel great! Thanks for setting an example. 

Stay strong @srdamore14! Sticking with the program while being sick is difficult, but very admirable!  Once the cold passes you'll know the rest of the plan will be a breeze. Hope you feel better soon :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning everyone,

@libchick I agree, when the decision making is already done for the day in regards to food, it makes it SO much easier.

Day three for me and I definitely have a mild headache and am TIRED.  Part of that is from a 2 oclock night waking from my daughter, but I got a decent amount of sleep besides that so some of this is related to the "hangover".  I'm going to get through today and aim to be in bed by 9 tonight to try and get some extra sleep.  Luckily, all the good food I've prepped is making it easy to stay on task!  

How's everyone else doing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:
15 hours ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

OK I'm going to put this in a single post so I don't keep clogging up the thread ;) @alisonmae I hope you get some rain over there in Oregon! Your story puts my weather grumbling into perspective. I was cranky today because we've had a few days of humid upper 80s and 90s again after a brief reprieve the last week or so. I'll send all my good weather thoughts your way.

Thanks @NoneOtherThanAmy; I love summer, but I am SOOO ready for fall! All this heat is getting to me! Luckily today the temps are only in the 80s and the smoke coverage all over the city is keeping the strength of the sun at bay a bit! 

14 hours ago, stacie66 said:

Sorry to hear about your weekend  @alisonmae  I hope the weather cooperates with you all! I'm in Florida and would gladly send you some of our rain! I spent the day driving around to different grocery stores to stock up on water and supplies...my patience was truly tested, but I managed to not punch anyone.

Stay safe down there in Florida, @stacie66! That hurricane sounds like bad news :( and Florida and the Caribbean are in my thoughts! 

12 hours ago, libchick said:

Hello everyone,

My name is Jessica and I am doing the September Whole30 also. This is my second one - first time was February 2012, so it's been a while. I've been pushing the line further and further the last year or two and find myself eating things I shouldn't. I've also noticed I eat too much chocolate at work because I'm bored or stressed - not the best strategy for dealing. I've thought about doing another Whole30 for a while and couldn't face it, but this time I was excited to have some structure, so I knew I was ready.

I have fibromyalgia and many other unexplained pain areas so I am hoping this helps reduce pain. I've been gluten and dairy free since 2008 because of this.

So far so good! I did get to work today and immediately wanted to look in my chocolate drawer - so conditioned apparently. Luckily, that drawer is all cleaned out. :)

Hope it goes well for everyone. I'm always amazed at how not difficult it is - just requires some advance thought and prep time mainly.

Thanks for listening!

Welcome @libchick! Smart move on cleaning out cupboards and drawers! We've got this!

 

stacie66 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words!! I made it through Day 5 without quitting - hooray! I ate a compliant dinner as soon as I got home. Then, I put on my PJs, finished the last few pages of a library book, and turned in early. Today is definitely better. I am still a little tired but not nearly as exhausted as I have been the previous 5 days. Also, the severe crankiness passed, thank goodness. I suspect there will be more challenges over the next 24 days, but I am so glad I didn't give up yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, All!

Day 6 has gone pretty smoothly for me...hoping for some "tiger blood" tomorrow so I can resume my workouts!  Today I made a batch of Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili (link below).  I'm going to spoon over a baked sweet potato and top with some diced avocado. To get my extra veggies, I guess I'll have another salad <_< 

https://therealfoodrds.com/slow-cooker-pumpkin-chili/

How is everyone else doing today? Hope those who were struggling yesterday are feeling better and have a great day tomorrow.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now