Sardines

indigo73

You can make own compliant ketchup! Johnny's recipe is pretty good!

I made a lacto-fermented ketchup once and they didn't take to it because it was in a lame mason jar and not as cool as their squeeze bottle. So if I make his recipe I will just replace their ketchup with it during the night and they won't even know the difference.

I made a lacto-fermented ketchup once and they didn't take to it because it was in a lame mason jar and not as cool as their squeeze bottle. So if I make his recipe I will just replace their ketchup with it during the night and they won't even know the difference.

That's exactly what we did for my cousins. Problem is that they think that bottled stuff is ok and tasty. But one step at a time!

Great ideas sardine queen!

Yum Nadia, you are officially the Sardine Guru! Can't wait to try some of these ideas! :)

I nominate Nadia for Sarqueen 2013.

Does this mean I have to give up my Organ Meats Ambassador title?! :o

Where is all ur organ meat info!?

There we go :D Some people who I talk to here and who read my post log know that I am a big lover of all those liver/heart/gizzards/tongue/kidneys stuff (Susan, don't throw up please if you read this).

Any animal organ part in particular you need help with?

There we go Some people who I talk to here and who read my post log know that I am a big lover of all those liver/heart/gizzards/tongue/kidneys stuff (Susan, don't throw up please if you read this).

Nadia, my goal is to become an organ lover. I have always been fond of chopped chicken liver and gizzards sauteed in ghee. I am about to buy a share of a grass fed lovely steer and bones and organs are free. Most people decline them so I will have access to a ton. Sigh. No barfing allowed. ;0)

I buy them. Life is unfair

It is unfair. The true lover of them should get them free. There is some stupid law (not sure if it's state or federal) that doesn't allow the farmers to sell the organs or bones separately. It was explained to me once but then I deleted that brain file. :0)

There we go :D Some people who I talk to here and who read my post log know that I am a big lover of all those liver/heart/gizzards/tongue/kidneys stuff (Susan, don't throw up please if you read this).

Nadia, I need help with all of them, specifically beef and chicken parts. I was not raised eating any of them and need some help preparing and loving them. I will also have to find a source for them, but I am definitely interested.

Nadia those recipe ideas sounds delish! Especially the Fisherman's eggs.

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good, cheap & complient brand of Sardines?

I like sardines packed in olive oil, and there are others with flavorings, such as mustard, cayenne, etc. Just check the label; you only want to see sardines, olive oil and salt. I purchased the Trader Joe's brand, but was disappointed to see I had picked up the skinless, boneless. Grrr. Most sardines I have seen are cheap and compliant. The perfect food :).

Wow, that pate idea sounds amazing! I bought some canned ones (in water) and found them quite mild, tasty, and not tough to eat whole at all. They were maybe the length of my ring finger? However, I also bought some frozen ones that are bigger, maybe 5-6 inches. I tried to broil them and they came out extremely dry. I think I might slow-roast them in some olive oil or something and then make a pate.

- Fisherman's eggs Heat the oven to 500°F and preheat an ovenproof dish for five minutes. Place a can of sardines, sliced shallot, chopped parsley and two cloves of finely chopped garlic in the warm dish. Add some black pepper and put the dish back in the oven for six minutes. Remove the dish from the oven, break eggs on top of the sardine mixture. Season with salt and pepper and put the dish back in the oven for seven minutes, until the egg whites are cooked but still jiggly. Remove the dish and let it sit for five minutes. Eat with hot sauce.

Just had this for my lunch Nadia, with some wilted spinach on the side - Delicous, great recipe, thanks.

Just had this for my lunch Nadia, with some wilted spinach on the side - Delicous, great recipe, thanks.

That's great! I wish I could eat them without consequences :)

Nadia - will you marry me?

I cooked the eggs a little too long, but the Fisherman's breakfast is aMAZing!

So glad you liked it. I'd be happy to, but you can bake. That's toooooo dangerous!

Oh, Kirsteen, I do remember kippers. They are a very dark golden brown. I was only 18 when I lived there, so I don't think I ever tried them. Smoked fish used to gross me out because of all the fresh fish I was raised on in San Diego. :)

Edit to add: Yes, I just clicked on your link and I remember those in the meat cases at the grocery store we went to in Harrogate.

My dad (not british) used to make Kippers and Eggs to go with our bagels and lox on Sundays.

Archived