Hi,

i am currently on day 13. Around day 5 I started feeling badly, especially after excercising. I added more carbs, protein and fat (frankly over-eating) to try to feel better but it didn't help. By day 8 I was just laying in bed all day and exhausted with muscle fatigue from walking a 1/4 mile (I typically RUN 10 miles a week); I was feeing out of body and dizzy; and my brain was quite foggy--driving felt dangerous and I felt as if I might "forget" to get out of my car. I went to the doctor and my BP was down 30 points from my normal (was 100/70 and is usually 130/70). My blood work all came back fine. They advised me to add more salt and to stop exercising. I regained energy for a few days but now I am starting to feel the same. I am a 41 year-old female, 5' 8" and 150 pounds. My typical breakfast is 2 eggs, 1/2 a large potato mixed with onions and 10 kalamata olives and cooked in ghee and topped with more ghee, 1/2 grapefruit, and a banana. A typical lunch is 2 cups of amount of Cuban Piccadillo (ground beef, green olives, peppers, raisins and capers) over half a large pan-fried yam. I have a larabar bar or nuts and a piece of fruit as a late afternoon snack (I am very active). A typical dinner would be 1/3 pound pan-fried chicken with copius amounts of broccoli drizzled in olive oil. Since my doctor visit I have been heavily salting everything and even eating several dill pickles a day. 

I am having trouble hanging on and functioning. What can I change to feel better?  Thank you for reading my long post! -Aimée

• Moderators

Okay so I don't think you're overeating, I think your meal composition just needs some work.

If you are eating eggs as your sole source of protein, then that's as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... often at LEAST 3-4 for most people.  If you don't want to eat that many eggs, add some other protein to your meal.  Take the fruit out and add non starchy veggies... anything that you like that isn't a fruit or a starch (mushrooms, asparagus, brussels sprouts, sauteed coleslaw mix etc).

Your lunch also has no non starchy veggies (I realize there are peppers in the PIccadillo but that hardly counts).

Take out the nuts, larabar and fruit from your mid snack.  If your meal composition was more on point, I suspect you don't need the snack, but should you need to eat between meals, we recommend protein and fat (how about a hardboiled egg and a blob of mayo or some chicken salad on cucumbers).

I don't know what 1/3 pound of chicken is... how does it match your palm size? 

As far as fats, you may want to switch to more plated fats like avocado, guacamole, pesto, mayo based sauces; some people do much better with those types of fats than cooking fats.

When you workout, are you eating post workout meals?  Are you drinking 1/2 oz of water per pound of bodyweight?  I know (I think) exactly what that feeling is, I used to get it when I was on the Zone program years ago and it's dangerous and feels TERRIBLE... I never once had it during any Whole30 when I was composing my meals per the template.  If you need to see the template again, it's linked in my signature below.

oh my - I am feeling the same (day12) to the point where I am seeing blackness when I stand up and have to gain my composure for a minute.  I was about to quit the whole30 until I read this.  My diet looks almost exactly like the OP.  Thanks for the information @SugarcubeOD. I am going to tweek and hang on for the weekend and see how it goes.  It is really interfering with getting anything done at home and my workouts have plummeted since starting. 

I Am out, as of today.  I made chili and added beans. I have done nothing but lay around and nap this week after work. And the blacking out dizziness isn't worth it to me.   I don't know why it is happening, but I am getting nothing done at home and work is suffering.   

Okay, I was finally able to sign in here. I had TWO doc visits and my doc said to quit this diet. I have started eating my regular (in moderation diet) for three days now and my symptoms are nearly all gone. This diet is clearly not for everyone. Sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner!

Archived