MCT oil

Jewels_V

I'm sure this has got to be here somewhere, but is MCT oil as a supplement recommended? I think I'm limited by the number of letters when I search because nothing comes up.  I'm interested in adding a tablespoon to my hot tea in the morning along with my collagen powder as a supplement because it seems to have a lot of health benefits and just using coconut oil to cook with I think is not enough.  Plus, I don't use coconut oil at every meal, I use other fats (olive, avocado oil) as well.  I'm just coming off 70 days of technically W30 but I need to work on the psychological relationship with food still and I'm starting another nut free, dried fruit free ((RXBar free) sugar dragon still Incinerating my pantry) W30 tomorrow. Thinking about adding MCTs to add even more nutrition and hoping to help with cravings too (extra fat maybe will increase satiety)? Thanks!

• Moderators

MCT oil is okay to use -- I've seen a couple of people say they had some digestive issues when they used it, but if you tolerate it and like it, it's okay, and it's good to use a variety of fats (you listed a couple of oils, but don't forget about avocados, olives, and coconut in any form as well). 

If you're still having cravings at this point, it's definitely possible extra fat could help, and be sure you double check the meal template from time to time to be sure you're not subconsciously limiting portion sizes -- that can be especially easy to do if you have a history of calorie counting or dieting in the past, it's so ingrained we sometimes just automatically keep doing what we've always done, not even realizing we're doing it.

For future searches, it works best if you use google and search for Whole30 + whatever you're looking for, or Whole30 forum + whatever you're looking for. That will usually get you results from this site among the top few results. The search function here in the forum is just not as effective. 

Thanks @ShannonM816!  I read your post and searched google and saw it right away, should have done that beforehand.  I have also been eating avocado in the form of guac (my family tells me the recipe in the W30 book is the best they have ever had) and olives, but probably not enough to be consistent.  I overate a lot on this round, mostly the fruits, nuts and dried fruit.  So not in the spirit of Whole30 and that's why I need to do another round.  I have a history of dieting (restriction) and bingeing and I have to learn what normal is because it was always one or the other.  No middle ground.  Its really hard!  Melissa's FFF book is the only plan though that actually makes sense in the long term.  I am so glad I found W30 :)

Archived