Veggie or fruit?

JanellaR

I was told on a FB group that tomatoes, squash, and cucumber are fruit, and should be eaten accordingly (smaller amount on the plate than veggies). I can't seem to find anything in The Whole30 book or anywhere else that says this. 

• Administrators

@JanellaR

No, that's not correct. While any produce that has seeds is a fruit, the things we generally consider veggies such as cukes, bell peppers, squashes and tomatoes etc are considered veggies on the program. The actual fruits that are meant to be limited to 1-2 fist sized servings per day (if at all) are the sweet fruits that are high in natural sugars.

• Administrators

@JanellaR - FB is the wild-west, those groups can become their own beast. The forum is moderated by people selected by Melissa Hartwig who are extremely familiar with the program, rules, recommendations etc. Not all facebook groups are incorrect but your safest bet is to get your information here or on any of the Whole30 social media channels.

Ya those items don't have the fructose load that standard fruit has, but I think a person would still benefit from leaning more towards broccoli, spinach, & zucchini.  Cucumber is a pretty "meh" veg, kinda like celery, isn't it?

1 hour ago, kirkor said:

Ya those items don't have the fructose load that standard fruit has, but I think a person would still benefit from leaning more towards broccoli, spinach, & zucchini.  Cucumber is a pretty "meh" veg, kinda like celery, isn't it?

I love cucumber and celery! They add a nice crunch to salad, and I adore celery in soups. 

Archived