Flavored seltzer water and magnesium calm

Jenabean

There 0 sugars and it says naturally flavored... how do I know if I can have flavored seltzer ? Also, I'm taking magnesium calm that's naturally flavored with raspberries and lemon. Anyone know if this is ok? What about salted almonds?  I started my Whole30 today for the first time. 

Additionally, I need recommendations for snacks besides fruit. 

• Moderators

You have to look at the ingredients on everything. If the seltzer says it has natural flavors, those are okay.

The flavored Calm magnesiums used to have stevia in them, which would make them not compliant -- look at your container and see what the ingredients say.

If you're not sure about some ingredients, check out the Sneaky Sugars list and Common Additives Cheat Sheet that are available here, or google the specific ingredients + Whole30 and see if you can find past discussions about them.

About snacks, ideally your meals should be composed so that they fill you up for 4-5 hours and you don't need snacks, but there is often an adjustment period.  If you feel like you need additional food because you are legitimately hungry (like, if someone offered you plain steamed broccoli and fish you'd be all over it), try to make it a mini-meal, especially composed of protein and fat.  Chicken+dollop of mayo+carrots.  Or hardboiled egg + olives.  Etc.  Try to stay away from fruit and nuts as "snack" items.

Archived