Starting on Labor Day

SnowflakeVT

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are doing whole30 for the first time. Our daughter across the country is also starting on the same day, Labor Day, so we can get past some events we already had planned. 

I signed us all up for RealPlans, too, so I can use their online tools and phone app for efficient meal planning and a shopping list. 

I have practiced a few meals this week, so I feel ready. I am a little worried about the "no wine" at the end of my busy work day, but it will be good to break that habit, too.

Snowflake, hi.  I will join you.  I have cleqared most of th non compliant stuff out of my fridge and now just need to focus and  get serious.  I have done one real w30 and then several more false starts...not only have I gained weight over the two years since my first w 30, but I long for feeling as well as I did when I ate that cleanly.  This will be good...we can do this and welcome others to our gang!!

Hi! I will join you - today is day one!
I have completed two whole30s, one in May 2015 and one that ended just a few weeks ago... but really they both were more like 30 days of compliant food and not true whole30s. The first time I simply didn't have all the information; I'd heard about whole30 from a friend and did a quick search of what foods were on plan and just stuck to those foods for a month without any real adherence to the template. This most recent round I knew better but honestly just didn't really try very hard. Think multiple rx bars on many days (and sometimes as meal replacements), lots of snacks, no real effort to slay the sugar/snack dragon. My results were comparable to my efforts: terrifically sub-par.

I am nursing my 1-year-old (and often, especially through the night) and I work out 4x a week (crossfit, surprise surprise) which is why I gave myself the green light to snack and bend the rules a little. But of course all that meant was I didn't get the results I could have!

So I am really committing to the meal template with snacks only when truly necessary, and for those I plan to make mini meals instead of candy replacements like rx bars.

Katie

• Moderators
2 hours ago, KTH1010 said:

Hi! I will join you - today is day one!
I have completed two whole30s, one in May 2015 and one that ended just a few weeks ago... but really they both were more like 30 days of compliant food and not true whole30s. The first time I simply didn't have all the information; I'd heard about whole30 from a friend and did a quick search of what foods were on plan and just stuck to those foods for a month without any real adherence to the template. This most recent round I knew better but honestly just didn't really try very hard. Think multiple rx bars on many days (and sometimes as meal replacements), lots of snacks, no real effort to slay the sugar/snack dragon. My results were comparable to my efforts: terrifically sub-par.

I am nursing my 1-year-old (and often, especially through the night) and I work out 4x a week (crossfit, surprise surprise) which is why I gave myself the green light to snack and bend the rules a little. But of course all that meant was I didn't get the results I could have!

So I am really committing to the meal template with snacks only when truly necessary, and for those I plan to make mini meals instead of candy replacements like rx bars.

Katie

For nursing mothers we do suggest that they eat more than the three template meals but we don't mean 'snacking'.  The suggestion is to eat a fourth meal or split a fourth meal into two mini meals... you may also want to really concentrate on your fat consumption to keep your supply up and so that can meal maybe making a coconut milk latte instead of a splash in your coffee or snacking on handfuls of olives throughout the day.  Fruit and nuts aren't going to be ideal here.  Good luck, now that you've got the rules down, you can concentrate on the recommendations and spirit of the program and you'll soar!

Hi all!! My husband and I started today and we are very excited! I've done a few rounds in the past and many mini ones. I've had great success both on and off the scale and I can't wait to feel that way again.

We did a lot of meal prep yesterday and today as we have 2 kids in soccer and a 2 year old.  I have many meals prepared and frozen to pop in the crockpot or on the stove. The @whole30 recipes  is so helpful!! 

Wishing you all the best these next 30 days- we can and we will do it!! 

Hi everyone! I started today as well. Everything went great except, I am following the recipes in the book and since I am the only one doing it, I will cut the portions in half and eat the same meals for two days. Less cooking for me!  I find the serving sizes are ginormous!!!!!!! Does anyone else feel the same or am I doing something wrong.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, TammyP64 said:

Hi everyone! I started today as well. Everything went great except, I am following the recipes in the book and since I am the only one doing it, I will cut the portions in half and eat the same meals for two days. Less cooking for me!  I find the serving sizes are ginormous!!!!!!! Does anyone else feel the same or am I doing something wrong.

Hey Tammy!  I answered your question in your other thread.  We respectfully ask that you don't post the same question in multiple spots as per the forum rules as it makes more work for the mods if a different mod found one and I found the other and we both answered ;)  

Hello, all. This is my second Whole 30 (I completed one last spring). I started yesterday (Labor Day). I need to clean up my act after a summer of not-terrible but not exactly clean eating and drinking. My daughter got married Saturday 9-2 and that was the end of summer festivities. Back-to-school time in every way. 

Hi all, I'm starting Whole30 #6 today, so I'm a day behind but would like to be in this support group. I tend to do a Whole30 every six months or so, hoping each time a little more of the healthy eating habits will stick. :)

I've always felt a ton better after finishing, and manage to lose weight as well. I have kids and a husband who aren't on board with the eating plan, but are supportive and since I cook it's easier. I've gotten a handful of go-to meals but am always looking for new recipes (I'm a fan of Mel Joulwan's cookbooks) and am looking forward to checking in over the next month to see how we're all doing. 

Good luck!

Hello!

I will join! This is my first whole 30. I am a runner and have used that as an excuse to eat poorly for far too long. I have a serious sugar dragon and need it GONE. I typically eat healthy about 70% of the time but eat horrible the other 30%. Its an all or nothing type thing with me. There is no middle ground, I have very little willpower and in the past few weeks I am really starting to see my emotional eating habits for the first time (super stressful day at work = pizza and wine for dinner). 

I would love to lose the stubborn 5-10 pounds that just won't go away but more so I want to be able to say no to things and not follow every streak of healthy eating with a binge of gorging!

Hey, Jen....don't be too hard on yourself about "willpower".  In It Starts With Food, it is made clear how the biochemistry of certain foods create a craving for others - hey, it is SCIENCE!!  So, your only role in the chain reaction is to not put that stuff in your mouth that will lock you in the trunk and drive you over the cliff.  Remember, you are doing this for yourself so that you feel GREATER THAN YOU"VE EVER FELT....well, close, at least.

Frogtox - welcome!  I've been around awhile too - but now just started logging in with FB.  Haven't done 6 (You are my hero) - but I love your level approach.  Looking forward to sharing recipes too.

I made pan seared scallops last night and served them over fresh corn (which i did NOT have) and halves of cheery tomatoes....so good.  Already feeling an NSV today on day 2!

I'm on day two as well.  This is my third whole30 but my first time doing one while nursing.  My daughter is almost six months old and with pregnancy (food aversions! morning sickness!) and sleep deprivation, I've gotten off course.  I'm not beating myself up over it, I did what I needed to to get through, but I'm now ready to commit to 30 days of whole, nourishing foods eaten for the RIGHT reason (fuel).  I am looking forward to adding an extra meal to my days (there are just so many recipes I want to try!) to compensate for nursing.  

I was feeling fine when I woke up, but have had a bit of a headache for the past few hours.  I've already had well over 150 oz of water today, so I'll just keep chugging along and try and make it an early bedtime tonight.

On day two.... I was STARVING yesterday!!! Is that normal so early? I am upping my food intake today and making sure to add more fat. I started on somewhat of a whim (only 2 days after I got the book) so I am using the week 1 meal plan verbatim. 

Work is super stressful right now, My gut instinct is to go get something sweet or have n unhealthy dinner tonight (with wine). I am going to get tested early!!! I do feel like coming on here helps dissolve the temptation some so that's a plus

3 hours ago, jen E said:

On day two.... I was STARVING yesterday!!! Is that normal so early? I am upping my food intake today and making sure to add more fat. I started on somewhat of a whim (only 2 days after I got the book) so I am using the week 1 meal plan verbatim. 

Work is super stressful right now, My gut instinct is to go get something sweet or have n unhealthy dinner tonight (with wine). I am going to get tested early!!! I do feel like coming on here helps dissolve the temptation some so that's a plus

Yes, it's normal to be either starving OR not hungry at all.  Your plans sound perfect, eat more and specifically eat more fat!  

When you're tempted, just keep reminding yourself why you're going doing the Whole30.  You can even come here and look for support!

Do something else tonight to relax; take a long, hot shower/bath, read a book, watch a favorite movie/tv show and get to bed early.  You've got this!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, jen E said:

No, it's not normal to be STARVING at all... make sure you're matching your meal to the template (linked in my signature below).  Don't forget the added fat (dont' count the cooking fat) and make sure to FILL your plate with veggies.  At one meal, add a fist sized serving of starchy veggies to your plate.  The aim is to get 4-5 hours between meals :)

27 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

No, it's not normal to be STARVING at all... make sure you're matching your meal to the template (linked in my signature below).  Don't forget the added fat (dont' count the cooking fat) and make sure to FILL your plate with veggies.  At one meal, add a fist sized serving of starchy veggies to your plate.  The aim is to get 4-5 hours between meals :)

36 minutes ago, alw289 said:

Yes, it's normal to be either starving OR not hungry at all.  Your plans sound perfect, eat more and specifically eat more fat!  

When you're tempted, just keep reminding yourself why you're going doing the Whole30.  You can even come here and look for support!

Do something else tonight to relax; take a long, hot shower/bath, read a book, watch a favorite movie/tv show and get to bed early.  You've got this!

Thank you! I made a point to eat more today and felt much better :)

Ok, so I am not a newbie....logged in via Facebook since I couldn't get my password to work....maybe just has been too long since the last time. The wine thing is also really HUGE for me.  When I can address that, I do so much better overall.  It really is a gateway item for me.  

i wanted to let you know I have jumped to another group starting on the 11th.  I was too relaxed in my start up this past week....and made a couple of rookie errors...so I am starting over.

good luck everyone!,,  I will check in with you later

Archived