Post-Whole30: Keep getting sick (but not in the way I expected)

hawaiissunshine1

Hello-

I'll start off by being completely honest and admitting I didn't reintroduce as slowly as I should. 

Since finishing Whole30 on August 19th, I keep getting sick. I am on my second cold, and I had an ear infection in between that required antibiotics.

It's not typical digestive-based sickness that I would expect. I have identified a few foods that cause digestive upset. I'm very attuned to it because I also have Ulcerative Colitis, and I've found that refined sugar gives me headaches.

Is it possible that these colds and the ear infection are an unexpected sign of a food sensitivity or something relates to Whole30? Or is it just the world's biggest coincidence?

Thanks!

• Moderators

It's hard to say. You could go back to Whole30 eating and see if you feel better, and if you do, once you've felt better for a while, try reintroducing things more carefully to see if you can figure out if one particular food is causing this.

I got sick on day 26-30 with a sore throat and congestion.  I know healthy people get sick but this has happened to me before while on "diets."  My personal opinion is that we are not aware of how our body is feeling and use chemicals to keep going.  I used caffeine and sugar to keep my energy at a ridiculously high level in order to DO everything I needed and wanted to do until I dropped.  Then when I got sick, I blamed it on being so stressed out and busy.  I'm probably one of the few who can say they had less energy while on whole 30 because my usual energy levels were toxic.  So on the day I got sick I was in a manic, toxic state trying to do too much and I didn't have the chemicals supporting it.  I couldn't maintain that level of energy so this time I stopped and went home.  It only took one day for my throat to heal but I still drank hot tea, took, zinc, stayed on whole 30 and RESTED. 

Archived