Hi All,

I am doing my first W30 and my husband has agreed to join me in this venture (this is a VERY big deal). While I am not a hugely healthy eater normally, I've always enjoyed vegetables and actual whole protein sources. My husband, on the other hand, is a man-child in the way he eats. He's a soda addict and prefers boxed/processed foods (his favorite food is mac and cheese and hot dogs) to anything else and hates most vegetables. On top of that he works midnight shift on a 2-3 on 2-3 off basis so his eating is erratic and hard to get on a schedule to say the least. He will not read the book and relies on me to tell him what he can and cannot have and prep food for him, which I'm happy to do. The problem is getting him to eat vegetables or even try something new is literally like fighting a toddler, except I can't give him a timeout. I worry that he is taking more of an Atkins approach to this and only eating proteins and fats. Any suggestions for getting him to actual eat veggies or any W30 veggie juices that anyone could recommend (I know this isn't a preference but I'm desperate)? I don't want to turn to constantly nagging him, which would turn any positive experience this should be into a negative one. I've listed all the items he refuses to try/eat below for reference. Thanks for any advice!

No List: Zucchini, squash, onion (of any variety), broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, spinach, asparagus, bok choy, beets, eggplant, kale, okra, radishes

Yes List: carrots, green beans, mushrooms, lettuce (only if it's on something)

RM

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, RicciMc said:

Hi All,

I am doing my first W30 and my husband has agreed to join me in this venture (this is a VERY big deal). While I am not a hugely healthy eater normally, I've always enjoyed vegetables and actual whole protein sources. My husband, on the other hand, is a man-child in the way he eats. He's a soda addict and prefers boxed/processed foods (his favorite food is mac and cheese and hot dogs) to anything else and hates most vegetables. On top of that he works midnight shift on a 2-3 on 2-3 off basis so his eating is erratic and hard to get on a schedule to say the least. He will not read the book and relies on me to tell him what he can and cannot have and prep food for him, which I'm happy to do. The problem is getting him to eat vegetables or even try something new is literally like fighting a toddler, except I can't give him a timeout. I worry that he is taking more of an Atkins approach to this and only eating proteins and fats. Any suggestions for getting him to actual eat veggies or any W30 veggie juices that anyone could recommend (I know this isn't a preference but I'm desperate)? I don't want to turn to constantly nagging him, which would turn any positive experience this should be into a negative one. I've listed all the items he refuses to try/eat below for reference. Thanks for any advice!

No List: Zucchini, squash, onion (of any variety), broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, spinach, asparagus, bok choy, beets, eggplant, kale, okra, radishes

Yes List: carrots, green beans, mushrooms, lettuce (only if it's on something)

RM

My advice is that he's an adult and you're not his mother.  Honestly tho, I would not be spending my mental energy trying to hide vegetables for an adult human.  My advice for getting him to eat actual veggies is to make actual veggies and then be a good example.  Juices are not recommended on the program and stripping out all the fiber to make him 'eat' them is a huge waste and it's not just like eating veggies.  Maybe he could take this time to try eating things he thinks he hates... try preparing them in different fashions (stirfry, roasted, steamed, pureed) and then leave it up to him if he wants to try them or not.  I get that being married to him, you likely want him to be healthy but you can't want it more than he does or it'll never happen.

I feel for you. My husband is the same way. When I first met him 19 years ago, he only ate "brown" food for most of his life. He's addicted to Coke Zero and eats candy all day (not a lot, but after lunch, as a snack, after dinner, etc.)  Now, he eats salad every night and some veg.  I prepare celery at lunch every day for him. There is no way he would do a Whole 30 with me. But he is supportive.

I agree with the above - just try to be a good example and offer him other vegetables. You can't make him do anything, and yes, nagging is not a good path to go down. I cook all the food, and he and my son eat what they want, and I make other things for them to supplement that I don't eat (rice, pasta) and then my husband takes care of the rest. My son also cooks for himself. He is actually not as picky an eater and sometimes he and I eat the Whole 30 meal and my husband fends for himself. It is too stressful trying to "change" someone. I would focus on yourself and welcome him along for the ride, but don't force him if he's resistant (it sounds like he is if he won't read the book). The added stress won't be helpful for you on this journey! 

• Moderators

Roasting any veggie is the best route. Coat veggies in fat and then shower with salt. This works for carrots and green beans as well as sweet potatoes, white potatoes (he might be open to those, right?)

You might try to tempt him with roasted broccoli, even though it's on his "no" list.  If you cut the broccoli into pretty small florets and roast til the edges are really dark, and add a decent amount of salt, roasted broccoli is TRANSCENDANT. No exaggeration. And if he doesn't eat them? More for you.

One more recipe to try - Nom Nom Paleo's Roasted Garlic Autumn Root Mash. It's a mix of carrots, cauliflower and parsnips and it's like a lighter version of mashed potatoes. Really quite delicious. Maybe make some, and see if he'll try it. And don't forget the gravy!

A fair amount of SAD-eating folks do not like veggies, once they eat Whole30 for awhile their taste buds begin to change, so there's always hope for the future.

Archived