A little late to the September Whole30 game but I'm here...

Jewels_V

I decided I was going to do the September Whole 30 on August 31st, and after spending the weekend away celebrating Labor Day and the last days of summer, I went anti-Whole30 on Sunday and Monday.  Like ate everything I could get my hands on that contained sugar (but not gluten because I just cannot go there).   At first I thought since I had just finished 70 days of Whole30 a couple weeks ago, I didn't really need another one anyway.   Yeah.  Right.  Sugar Dragon has taken my brain hostage.  I was eating Kind bars in Target that I had not yet paid for.  And that ice cream that had stayed untouched in the basement freezer for so long?  The container now lies empty in the recycle bin, along with its plastic wrapper relatives discarded once the Salted Caramel contents had been consumed.  I didn't even do a proper reintro, so I probably feel even more crappy.  I know the September Whole 30 started a few days ago but you know what? Better late then never, right?  I am gonna follow Melissa's advice in Food Freedom Forever.  Its time for another reset, and Sept 5 is my Day 1! Who's with me?  Good luck to all the Sept Whole30ers out there. :) 

I'm posting here for accountability. I hope everyone's doing better then me because I ate ice cream and whey protein bars last night. I basically fell off the wagon and then got caught in the wheels on Day 2.  So, my Whole30 starts with Day 1 today, September 7. 

I feel you sister.  Ice cream is defineatly my FWNB.  I'm starting my Day 1 again today.  First time I made it to Day 11.  I started over because I found that something I was eating almost everyday was non-compliant.  (Note to self - read EVERY label.)  Second time I made it to Day 22 before throwing myself under the bus.  I am hoping this time to make it to 30 days.  And beyond.

i HAVE to do this...for my HEALTH and for my SANITY :blink: I completed one whole 30 very successfully a year ago.  Since then I've tried multiple times and have just not been able to do it.  Hoping hopping on to this forum will fuel my commitment and motivation :rolleyes: Here we go!!!:D

Include me! I LOVE Jewels honesty, sounds like me! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one sneaking around "getting rid" of stuff. I would like to try Whole 30 again. I Tried it a couple of years ago, by myself, only to fail after a day or so. I Need accountability and support. I just listened to a great podcast that featured Melissa Hartwig (For the Love with Jen Hatmaker.....love love love her!!!) and it reminded me how important it is to feel good inside and out. I'm struggliong with both right now.  I have always prided myself on moving with great ease and all the time. I'm not good at sitting still. My problem lately has been joint pain, big time. I'm wondering if it might be triggered by some type of food, sugar perhaps. Anyways, I will begin tomorrow morning September 8th.

2 hours ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

I feel you sister.  Ice cream is defineatly my FWNB.  I'm starting my Day 1 again today.  First time I made it to Day 11.  I started over because I found that something I was eating almost everyday was non-compliant.  (Note to self - read EVERY label.)  Second time I made it to Day 22 before throwing myself under the bus.  I am hoping this time to make it to 30 days.  And beyond.

Oh that's a bummer-I've been burned with supplement ingredients before and didn't realize they put rice powder or glycerin (aka sugar alcohol) in pills! My first whole30 got much easier after the first couple weeks, we can do this! 30 days got nothin' on us!

1 hour ago, Margot said:

i HAVE to do this...for my HEALTH and for my SANITY :blink: I completed one whole 30 very successfully a year ago.  Since then I've tried multiple times and have just not been able to do it.  Hoping hopping on to this forum will fuel my commitment and motivation :rolleyes: Here we go!!!:D

Let's check in here for motivation ;) I need it too!

24 minutes ago, SariB said:

Include me! I LOVE Jewels honesty, sounds like me! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one sneaking around "getting rid" of stuff. I would like to try Whole 30 again. I Tried it a couple of years ago, by myself, only to fail after a day or so. I Need accountability and support. I just listened to a great podcast that featured Melissa Hartwig (For the Love with Jen Hatmaker.....love love love her!!!) and it reminded me how important it is to feel good inside and out. I'm struggliong with both right now.  I have always prided myself on moving with great ease and all the time. I'm not good at sitting still. My problem lately has been joint pain, big time. I'm wondering if it might be triggered by some type of food, sugar perhaps. Anyways, I will begin tomorrow morning September 8th.

I did my first round to help with sinus issues and joint pain, and I have autoimmune thyroid disease. I find gluten gives me more joint pain as well so I avoid it always. I think dairy=more sinus trouble for me.  But the call of the ice cream was too strong.  I'm going to check out that podcast you mentioned for sure! I need to feel better about my body as well as my health!

I started today.  Not quite prepared, but had enough fresh food in the fridge to get started and I have a weekend getaway Oct 6 to look forward to.  My "away at grad school" daughter is a week ahead of me. Can anyone tell me what FODMAP stands for?  I learned how to eat a hypo-glycemia diet 30 years ago, so this all makes perfect sense to me, but I am not current with the latest food jargon.

37 minutes ago, her Mom said:

Can anyone tell me what FODMAP stands for?  

Try this link http://fodmapfriendly.com/what-are-fodmaps/.  If you or your library have the book It Starts With Food there is a short description on page 119, or The Whole30 Guide on page 36.

It stands for "(fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides, and polyols) - a collection of fermentable carbohydrates and sugar alcohols found in various foods, like grains, beans, vegetables, and fruits.  FODMAPS are poorly absorbed, thereby "feeding" gut bacteria and causing a host of symptoms, including dysbiosis and systemic inflammation."

Hope I got that right, copied it straight from the book.

9 hours ago, Jewels_V said:

I'm posting here for accountability. I hope everyone's doing better then me because I ate ice cream and whey protein bars last night. I basically fell off the wagon and then got caught in the wheels on Day 2.  So, my Whole30 starts with Day 1 today, September 7. 

I found one of the huge hurdles I had to get over was clearing out all non-paleo food from my pantry, store cupboard, fridge and freezer. I'm a bit of a foodie and had quite a stock pile but had been shocked when I started reading labels on basic condiments to flavour meals with. As I was resonating with my whole30 commitment, I took the plunge and had a major clear out. I struggled with the idea of waste but decided it was waste nutritionally for our bodies if we were consuming them. :-)

I started today!  Made it through barely! I'm doing this for health reasons so I think that will keep me motivated.  When you read the labels you quickly find out you can't eat anything or that is how it seems.  Had a terrible headache all day.  I miss my afternoon latte.  The worst part is my doctor wants me to do this for 60 days.  It makes me accountable to someone.  Day 1 complete and I have tomorrow's food planned out. :)

Well done Azgirl :-) I found drinking water helps to banish the detox aches and pains, though I have been lucky as I've not had too many of them. I read in one of the paleo books, to focus on what we can eat rather than what we can't eat which has made it easier for me but initially of course we need to learn what is not ok as that's been our downfall over the years. I miss the wine as I'm prepping dinner but I manage to refocus and all is well.

Mazpal, I hope you had a local food bank or church charity that you donated all your non-compliant food too.  That would ease the pain of discarding so much food.

Azgirl, yes there is a lot of stuff hidden in packaged food that you wouldn't believe.  The corporations in this country are only interested in their bottom line, not our health.  

Don't get discouraged, but do read every label.  I take a magnifying glass with me to the grocery store to help me read the ingredient lists on cans, bottles and frozen food.  Do I get funny looks? Probably.  Do I care? No.  I no longer want to use my hard earned dollars on "fake foods", cheap unidentifiable ingredients, or ingredients that are banned by the rest of the civilized world.  

Having said that, I still find it incredibly difficult to pass by the Halloween candy corn and the Haagen Dazs.

Hi pearlgirl2017, I did donate my food but I felt very mixed emotions of guilt and wanting to help as I now realize the poor quality of the ingredients. My sister and her husband are very caring generous of spirit people, through ill health my sister is morbidly obese and I would love her to follow the paleo path but they are also very poor financially and I knew they would appreciate the food. Knowing that the the additives in the food would be contributing to her ill health even though I know they would go to supermarket and buy those foods if they could afford to did sadden me some what. 

This group is such an inspiration to me. Day 8 is done!  

My doctor was the first one who suggested Whole30, but I tried it first on my own and it didn't last two days.  I did however, manage to download the Whole30 book and read it, so I started eating healthier before I joined this September group.  Then I found Melissa Hartwig on Instagram, and I started checking out all the people who where liking her pages, especially Whole30.  I started following guest "chefs" every week, and trying out some of the recipes in the photos. They look so delicious! I have realized that sometimes they look better than they taste, but I can always find a way to add a little flavor. I still need to plan and prep better to keep the meals fresh and new.

I have a kitchen pantry that used to be full of all kinds of snacks, nuts, mixes, canned goods, and jars of sauces and condiments.  I noticed a few weeks ago it has very few food items in it now.  I keep my sweet potatoes and onions in baskets on the shelf.  A few jars of compliant foods are there, but mostly it holds the crock pot, the toaster, the blender, etc.  I think I could use a bigger fridge to hold all the fresh veggies, meat and containers of prepped foods!  

I've spent my life taking care of others, before I took care of myself.  I am trying to learn to take care of myself first, without feeling selfish.  I am going to look up the podcast with Jen Hatmaker and Melissa Hartwig, and see if it inspires me.  I am opening doors I've never opened before, and at this age, it is very exciting to be creating a new, happy, loving way of life for myself and those around me.  Whole30 is so much more than just food, it's a journey of self-growth. I am so thankful I chose Whole30, "the road less traveled".  

3 hours ago, TheJourney said:

Whole30 is so much more than just food, it's a journey of self-growth. I am so thankful I chose Whole30, "the road less traveled".  

Love love love this! I need to work on the emotional relationship with food part, so it's spot on for me!

How's everyone doing?  I'm not doing so well again, I cannot seem to get my stuff together here.  I am not giving up though.  I did this before, and I can do it again.  What I know now though is that I most definitely need to work on the relationship I have with food.  I also have to deal with an ED that I am desperately trying to kick and its been really pushing me down lately.  I'd like to think this is its last hurrah before it goes down in flames LOL.  For good.  So tomorrow is a new day, but I still look to Whole30'ers for my inspo.  And I have listened to a few podcast interviews with Melissa.  I wish her new books were coming out sooner then December lol. 

Have a great week all! :)

Jewels_V you can do this.  I'm a newbie to this but I'm trying to stay motivated.  I've had a few moments myself.  I'm on day 4 and it feels like day 44.  My doctor highly recommended this for my health. Also my doctor wants me to do this for 60 days.  I'm hoping I can make it.  I've had a bad couple of years so have been eating bad to cope.  Not good.  I like reading the forums because we can help each other.  We can do this!  Hang in there.  

Archived