Muscle Fatigue

Hello everyone! 

I'm halfway through my Whole30 journey and generally feeling great. No more bloating, headaches or stomach issues. 

However, over the last few days, I've noticed a lot of muscle fatigue just from doing basic things. This morning I had my arms up to put my hair up and my arms got tired. 

I am not sure what is causing this but would welcome your feedback!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Alyssa Leister said:

Hello everyone! 

I'm halfway through my Whole30 journey and generally feeling great. No more bloating, headaches or stomach issues. 

However, over the last few days, I've noticed a lot of muscle fatigue just from doing basic things. This morning I had my arms up to put my hair up and my arms got tired. 

I am not sure what is causing this but would welcome your feedback!

It's quite likely the time between when your body burns sugar for energy and fat for energy and I would suspect this would resolve itself in a couple days at most...

1 hour ago, Alyssa Leister said:

I've been eating eggs for breakfast (with potatoes and coffee as well). For lunch I usually have a salad with either chicken or turkey chopped up on it. And for dinner it depends. Usually chicken, turkey or pork. Rarely red meat. 

How many eggs per sitting, bearing in mind that a swerving of eggs when they are the only source of protein in a meal would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand? (3-4 for most females)

How much chicken/turkey/pork as it relates to the size of your palm?

If this is the fat you're using to cook with then I'd definitely add a serving of fat to your plate. Remember that the template is a range and as such it's perfectly okay to eat to the higher end of the range. 

Add a little more fat & a little more protein to each meal, ensure you are salting your food, and drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily and let us know how you are getting on in a few days.

How is your sleep by the way?

I think I know the feeling you are getting. For me, it's been lack of enough starchy vegetables. Even though I have the template memorized, every week or so, I need to check back in with it and really analyze my meals. If i'm just cooking on the fly (instead of following a weekly meal plan I've made in advance), I tend to drop things out without noticing, such as potatoes.

I'm having the  same problem. I can hardly hold my arms up to dry my hair. Today my calves are aching and seem very weak.  It seems that I'm eating what I should from looking at the template. I was wondering if too much magnesium could be a problem? I did read that somewhere.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Amy Sue said:

I'm having the  same problem. I can hardly hold my arms up to dry my hair. Today my calves are aching and seem very weak.  It seems that I'm eating what I should from looking at the template. I was wondering if too much magnesium could be a problem? I did read that somewhere.

If you're getting too much magnesium, you are probably also experiencing diarrhea, as that tends to be one of the first signs of getting too much. If you do believe that's the issue, obviously, stop taking any supplements that contain magnesium for a while and see if you feel better.

Are you salting your food? Drinking at least 1/2 oz of water for every pound of body weight (so a 120 lb person needs at least 60 oz)? Adding a serving or two of fat in addition to what you cook with at each meal? Eating 2-3 cups of vegetables, more if it's something like salad greens that can look like a lot but aren't really very substantial, at each meal? Having at least one serving of starchy vegetable each day?

If you want specific feedback on if your meals are meeting the meal template, list a day or two of meals, with approximate portion sizes, and we can take a look.

Thanks for your input.  I was planning on stopping my magnesium for a few days and see if it helps. I never even thought that would happen because I was taking what the recommended dosage wise..   however, since I'm eating lots more vegetables maybe I'm getting magnesium from that, too. Learn something new all the time! Thanks, again! I hope this solves my problem!

Archived