anyone starting Sept 11???

Margot

Day three for me and still so ready for bed by9.  I can't wait for tiger blood since it has been awhile since I felt that well.  Tried to put on a pair of slacks this am, and it was so depressing.  I am 15 lbs above where I feel good and now can't wear some of my skinnier clothes....oh crud.

I prepare/dress some kale and keep compliant chicken salad on hand....a fallback breakfast when I am sick of hardboil d eggs and homemade mayo.

had lunch out today w a fri me who gladly went to the  shish kabob spot....was really hungry late on by found some leftover coleslaw in the fridge...whew. Nomnompaleo chick wings for dinner....doing great so far but now, well, off to bed.  Tiger blood, hurry up! (I know, ten more days at least)

hang in there fellow campers.  Let's get each other thru.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is DAY #3!!! Who's still hanging in here with me??? another day of "hangover" according to w30 timeline and boy did I have one yesterday -_- So far so good though...yesterday took some planning cause I had more going on but I threw  roast in the slow cooker and made compliant carnitas...not bad...whole house ate it with no complaints (except about the sweet potatoes that I overcooked :rolleyes:) I also made it to a piyo class yesterday...yay me ;o)

Woke up to get thing #3 out of the house this morning and it. was. a. struggle. My eyes did not want to open today so I'm guessing it's gonna be another hangover day for sure...at least they warned me, right??? Not feeling quite as motivated today but am determined to see it through. Work dinner coming up soon so if anyone has any suggestions on making that work I'd love to hear what you've got.

Also, anyone know if kombucha is compliant???

15 hours ago, aussiegal said:

Hi all,  Day 1 for me as I found out hubs put butter in the mashed potatoes last night not ghee!! :oI had such a good day  W30 wise but was working late and hubby was trying to make it easier when I got home.  I thought hard about letting it go but I'm a "leaky boat" kinda girl and once I start making small allowances I feel the integrity of the whole thing is messed up and I'll just keep making little allowances till I eventually sink.  So here I am, having hid the butter(!!), commencing day 1 of the whole30 on 13 September.   Hope everyone is doing well.

Today I'm having:

Meal 1:  vege hash with homemade pork sausage plus 2 eggs and 1/2 avo 

Meal 2:  chilli chicken thigh (a version of Well Fed backed chicken with paprika, garlic and chilli powder) and salad with homemade mayo

Meal 3: Fish fried in lemon, dill and ghee, sweet potato wedges  and a cup of mixed veg (which I have par cooked and just have to heat up) and 1/2 avo.

I'm also starting back at the gym tomorrow ( and I hope the sky doesn't fall! cos its ages since I've been and I'm sooo outta shape).  Anyway I know it will help with self esteem and confidence to get through the next 30 days. 

so...still hangin in there and taking it one day at time.   

That's very awesome of you! To have the strength to start over and not just quit. To recognize your own abilities. That is strength. Kudos :)

Day 3! 

SO SO TIRED! I skipped the gym this morning. I am not sleeping a full 8hrs. And I'm feeling it. According to my fitbit out of the 7hrs 11 min of sleep, I was awake 54 min. UGH! I need to go to bed sooner. I'm hoping that the W30 will help me start sleeping through the night. I'm waking up less to pee. So that's a start. 

Last night's track workout went great. Did was interval training which I had been forgoing for the last month because of my hip/IT band issues. But Huzzah! No Pain last night! and none this morning! Usually I'd be limping. This weekend will be the next test, I have an 8-12 mile run. Haven't decided how far I will go yet. 

Mentally, I still feel like I'm in a bit of a haze and irritable. Partly it was the rain this morning, but every driver on the road was making me VERY ANGRY! Like Hulk status. WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND HOW DANGEROUS IT IS TO SLAM ON THE BRAKES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREEWAY?!?!?!! I don't care if you missed your exit!

How's everyone doing?? 

This is day 4 for me. I've been really tired, but sleeping better already. The big thing I've noticed is that today my knees stopped hurting while walking up and down the stairs! I've also noticed that when I have to do something, instead of sitting on the couch trying to think of ways to get out of it, I just get up and do it! (Laundry, I'm talking to you!) Good luck today everyone!

Day 3 started out making paleo banana pancakes for my sons followed by a fried egg hamburger patty salad for me. I am slowly switching the kids over to paleo during my Whole30 so it will be easier to stay that way afterwards. Last night they all went through the Whole30 Cookbook picking out recipes I should make. Lunch is supposed to be Twice Baked Mexican Potatoes but I just realized we are out of ground beef. I may have to load the kids up and run to town real fast since they had their hearts set on that meal.... Yep, going to town. I hope all your days go smoothly!

Day 3 is in the books, and dinner was challenging because we have to all eat at different times. But I made some coconut chicken curry that was pretty bomb-diggety (if I do say so myself) and portioned it out over rice for Daddy and Sissy and riced cauliflower for MiniMe and me, and we ate when we needed to. Sissy isn't a fan of curry, but she took one for the team yesterday. 

It's so motivating to read about everyone's struggles and achievements, and a couple of people have posted some nice meal ideas. I also love that we have everything from new moms to empty nesters and couch potatoes <raises hand> to marathon runners. 

My biggest issue is information overload. So many rules, so many things to read, and oh don't get me started on the shopping. I almost cried a couple of days ago as I sat in the aisle of the grocery store surrounded by cans of coconut milk and various soup stocks trying to read the teensie weensie writing and getting so frustrated. Why oh why is there so much added sugar, sulfites, etc?????? I finally found what I needed, but I came to the realization that I can never again send my husband to the store to pick something up for me. His head will explode. And I absolutely can't make my own stock because I'm totally grossed out by bones. I eat meat, but only boneless cuts. Watching someone eat ribs off the bone is thoroughly disgusting to me, so yeah ... no homemade chicken or beef stock is coming from this girl's kitchen! 

On the other hand, I'm finding that the homemade sauces, dips, and condiments are really quite tasty, and I enjoy making them. 

Here's to another day of healthy eating. Hopefully the tired bug will leave you alone. It hasn't caught up to me yet ... fingers crossed anyway. Stay strong!!

HI all,  thanks @MegT90 for the cheery words! Made my day!.

Day 2 for me (14 Sept).  I've got headaches and some aches  plus feel a little spaced out.   I actually think I overate yesterday!  I was "craving" sweet after dinner and had a tablespoon of pine nuts and 2 dried figs.    I know that has to go cos I'm obviously feeding a sugar dragon in a W30 way.  I definitely wasn't hungry!  I did Melissa's trick of wanting/craving  vs real hunger... as in could I eat steamed fish and broccoli now?  Well heck no I wanted sugar sugar sugar and crunch crunch crunch - so figs n nuts  it was.   I'll work on it folks I promise. 

I wasn't hungry at all during the day which was nice.  I have my par cooked veges (two containers of different ones) so it will be a mix and match day for me today.  Hopefully the headaches will go soon.   Even tho I'm feeling the physical stuff it is so good knowing that it is a healing process and a gift I'm giving myself.  

Anywho....let day 2 rock on!

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, KarliGrace said:

Help!

I'm looking at idea's for my husband while at work. He has a physically demanding job and has been feeling hungry, I know it's only day 3...but I need to think of something that will help him through this!

First, make sure you size his meals for him -- if his palm is bigger than yours, his portion of protein will be bigger than yours, and the template mentions a range of servings, so he may need two palm-sized servings of protein, two portions of fat, or even more. You can also include starchy vegetables more. Most people do well with one fist-sized serving each day, but people who are active may need more than that. It's great to have leafy greens but salads are not always filling, so if you do send him with salad, mix heartier vegetables into it or include them on the side. 

If he does need to eat between meals, it's best to have protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. 

7 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

First, make sure you size his meals for him -- if his palm is bigger than yours, his portion of protein will be bigger than yours, and the template mentions a range of servings, so he may need two palm-sized servings of protein, two portions of fat, or even more. You can also include starchy vegetables more. Most people do well with one fist-sized serving each day, but people who are active may need more than that. It's great to have leafy greens but salads are not always filling, so if you do send him with salad, mix heartworm vegetables into it or include them on the side. 

If he does need to eat between meals, it's best to have protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. 

Thanks Shannon. I'm finding it difficult as we're doing the AIP...but more protein, fats and vegetables I'll incorporate! Thank you.

Day 3 and still hanging in there. I'm going to bed super early and feeling rested! Today is surprisingly going well. I'm looking forward to Lasagna tonight! I also having training (half marathon training) so I'm a little nervous to see how that goes. Typically I would take a pre workout shake...but thats not compliant so we shall see!

5 hours ago, Lady49er said:

My biggest issue is information overload. So many rules, so many things to read, and oh don't get me started on the shopping. I almost cried a couple of days ago as I sat in the aisle of the grocery store surrounded by cans of coconut milk and various soup stocks trying to read the teensie weensie writing and getting so frustrated. Why oh why is there so much added sugar, sulfites, etc?????? I finally found what I needed, but I came to the realization that I can never again send my husband to the store to pick something up for me. His head will explode. And I absolutely can't make my own stock because I'm totally grossed out by bones. I eat meat, but only boneless cuts. 

I promise it gets easier. In my first round I took the book to bed every night because I just didn't feel I could wrap my head around any of it and I can remember the coconut milk aisle too! Shopping took an age! But as you go on you will find you start to know what brands you can have and what you can't and it all falls into place!

I tried bone broth a few times but found it such a faff that we now just throw some veg and water in the slow cooker and strain it to have veg stock and we use that any time stock is called for - works great even if it doesn't have all the nutrients of a bone broth!

1 hour ago, KarliGrace said:

Help!

I'm looking at idea's for my husband while at work. He has a physically demanding job and has been feeling hungry, I know it's only day 3...but I need to think of something that will help him through this!

The sausage patties that are in the Whole30 book are a lifesaver for me and they are really tasty, make a batch at the weekend and they can be eaten cold as a mini meal or with salad for lunch? I keep meaning to try out some different versions of them but have just always stuck to the recipe in the book!

Have you guys seen Melissa's stuff the past couple of days about Gretchen Rubin? I took her quiz and as suspected, I am an Obliger. Which basically means I'm good at taking care of other people but not good at taking care of myself / sticking to my own goals. Suspect there are other Obligers out there! I think they way to work with this tendency (I haven't read the book yet) is to make internal goals external i.e. set up external accountability. So I'm glad you're all here - helps with the accountability!

15 hours ago, KarliGrace said:

Thanks Shannon. I'm finding it difficult as we're doing the AIP...but more protein, fats and vegetables I'll incorporate! Thank you.

Day 3 and still hanging in there. I'm going to bed super early and feeling rested! Today is surprisingly going well. I'm looking forward to Lasagna tonight! I also having training (half marathon training) so I'm a little nervous to see how that goes. Typically I would take a pre workout shake...but thats not compliant so we shall see!

How did training go? What did you find to fuel with. 

My track workout was not very happy on my stomach. I had a couple of sweet potatoes, but I also had an Epic jerky bar, too. The spices did not sit well, so that is off my list as an option. It was also only day two and I think I was still detoxing a lot. Sorry for the TMI. haha. 

I was also having trouble breathing because my allergies were through the roof. But my pain was gone. 

I'm excited to see if anything has improved by my long run on Sat. (I'm thinking 10 miles depending on how my hip feels). and then track workouts next week. 

Day 4! 

Guys, I had a BIG ZIT on my cheek yesterday right before going into meet n greet for the grad student org, I'm the new president of!!!! When I read in the Whole30 Daily for day 3 that things like allergies and acne would get worse yesterday, I was like "okay okay. yeah". AND THEN IT HAPPENED! haha Oh well. If we can't laugh at ourselves, it will be a very tough 30 day ride.  

Overall I'm starting to feel more energized. But my dreams have been crazy. Definitely dreamt about eating noodles in my soup at a school cafeteria. WHAT? haha The funny part is I remember the before eating the soup and the after eating the soup. My subconscious didn't even let me enjoy the flavor! 

I'm still having trouble with falling asleep. I am going to try some meditation before bed tonight. I'm so overwhelmed with work and school right now. I think it's interfering with my sleep; which means it's interfering with my healing. 

Hope everyone is having a fabulous day!  

I love seeing a strong support group like you guys have. I had it during my first round but I guess I started this round on a less popular day and don't have a thread like this! I'm on Day 25. I really wanted to continue on strict Whole30 for longer but I have a few conferences coming up with food included. I'd like to know what my best options are for those meals. Last time I had no immediate reactions to food and I think it will be the same this time. So after reintroductions, I"ll go back to Whole30 except for those conferences (but make the best choices - last year they had things like steak and potatoes, salmon and roasted vegetables, etc...I'm sure there were non-compliant ingredients, but those were better than the pasta option!)

@Lady49er, I promise shopping and meal planning get easier! You'll learn the brands that are compliant and taste good to you. You'll get better at quickly scanning those ingredient lists too. I still check occasionally even on my favorite brands because sometimes they change things up.

I used to be the same way as you about meat/bones. I was raised vegetarian and only started eating meat 5 years ago. I could only stomach boneless, skinless chicken breast...but honestly didn't like the flavor (I was pregnant and had an aversion to nearly every vegetarian protein - dairy, eggs, legumes, etc). I realized I liked other meats more but had a hard time dealing with the other "parts". The Whole30 had me eating so much meat last year that I just had to get over it. So today I have two huge bone-in, skin-on ham shanks in my fridge ready to roast to perfection. But I know your struggle!

Keep up the good work everyone! I love reading yall's progress. :)

did not sleep well at ALL last night...

but here we are...DAY 4...part 1 of the "kill all things" phase according to the wh30 timeline 

I have to admit I'm struggling a bit this morning.  Even my coffee is not so much helping :wacko:. Going to have to make another trip to the grocery today...going through food fast around here...looking to try some of these recipes y'all have mentioned this next week! Maybe shaking things up a bit will help! Any suggestions for quick and easy non-egg breakfast???

I feel as though I have "de-puffed" a bit already but my energy level is non- existent!! I much admire y'all that are marathon training!!! As for me, I'm going to try and at least get myself out for a walk today...don't know that I am up for gym time...hoping this passes soon:huh:

Hope everyone has a fabulous day! Looking forward to seeing how you all are today!

@Margot, I have bad insomnia and sleep issues in the first week. Same with NO energy to do any kind of exercise. The first week is rough, as you've seen from what the timeline lays out. But you'll get past it!

Easiest breakfast for me is heated up leftovers from last night. I try to make sure there's at least one serving extra from each dinner, if not two. I also keep frozen pre-cooked sausage patties (I make my own from ground pork/beef and spices) and have carrot sticks, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes in the house at all times (my kids adore those veggies...and only those veggies! :)). The fridge usually has at least one, if not two, types of mayo dip. Quick breakfast is microwaved (not my favorite way...but it's quick!) sausage and veggies with dip.

Good morning! I think. I seriously hope that the heads of my family are W30 compliant because I bit them all off yesterday. Every. Single. One. Even MiniMe got a taste of Mommy on the rampage. Good thing there was no added sugar. So @Margot ... I feel your pain! Let's hope today is better for everyone's sake. 

We had chili last night (my recipe but total compliance). Everyone had two helpings! I love @tjgett's idea of putting it over mashed potatoes. Thanks! 

I sure hope y'all who've told me that shopping gets easier are right because... duhn duhn duhnnnn ... I have to go today. Bleah. 

Wishing all of you folks an enjoyenjoyable, fulfilling, and successful day! Stay strong!

On 9/13/2017 at 6:58 AM, Margot said:

Today is DAY #3!!! Who's still hanging in here with me??? another day of "hangover" according to w30 timeline and boy did I have one yesterday -_- So far so good though...yesterday took some planning cause I had more going on but I threw  roast in the slow cooker and made compliant carnitas...not bad...whole house ate it with no complaints (except about the sweet potatoes that I overcooked :rolleyes:) I also made it to a piyo class yesterday...yay me ;o)

Woke up to get thing #3 out of the house this morning and it. was. a. struggle. My eyes did not want to open today so I'm guessing it's gonna be another hangover day for sure...at least they warned me, right??? Not feeling quite as motivated today but am determined to see it through. Work dinner coming up soon so if anyone has any suggestions on making that work I'd love to hear what you've got.

Also, anyone know if kombucha is compliant???

Kimbucha is compliant as long as sugar isn't listed. There is a whole discuss from Melissa on the forum. 

Tough night and morning with a lot of gas! All night and this morning. Never happened before with the program. Hopefully i will have a better day!

Archived