anyone starting Sept 11???

Margot

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, 50andstillhere said:

Hi Megt- I use to run marathons when I was a lot younger. 30 years ago people who ran marathons never took goop or any other food/ substance during a race (except water ) I would not be surprised that you can run without it. Give it a go! 

Thanks @50andstillhere! I'm not too worried. I have only been running for 6 months, so I haven't gone too far into supplements. I'm much happier to be trying natural solutions for electrolytes and run fuel. :)

Day 5! So I'm having this weird duality going. I feel tired behind my eyes, but then also crazy energetic. Like my typing right now feels overtime. I think it's because I'm not getting much sleep. 

Yesterday we got some bad news. We found out one of my dogs has lymphoma. This is after finding out last month that our other dog has a brain tumor. Plus, I lost my dad to cancer a year and a half ago. We can't afford chemo treatments for either dog. They are both older (Terriers, 10 & 15), but it is still pretty devastating. Needless to say, I'm on a bit of an emotional roller coaster this week. But I'm trying really hard to stick to plan, for my mental well being. 

Started on Monday- round 2! First time was about 6 months ago. It was amazing but I was very inconsistent over the summer and need to get back on track. This time I have been focusing on taking better care and going to sleep earlier as required. I woke up today (Day5) and felt like a million $....totally didn't expect to feel this good this fast! 

Hang in there everyone! I am happy to have found a group to help keep me on the rails!

Hi everyone, great to read about how everyone is doing, and that at least those who are feeling irritable are able to laugh about it too :) @MegT90 sorry to hear about your bad news, be kind to yourself, sounds like a non-food treat is in order!

For the most part I've been ticking on quite happily, it's been a good exercise week for me with some goals hit in the gym and also an 8 mile bike ride at the Windfarm yesterday. This morning I had my Great Aunt's funeral, which of course was sad, but she was 93 and lived a great life. The bit after the service was tricky more than difficult because I couldn't eat anything that was available, all I could have was water or black coffee, which was fine but the social interaction that goes around those situations where nothing is compliant I find so wearying! Especially the scathing "so what can you eat?" Anyway, it was mid morning and so I had had breakfast and it wasn't yet lunch so once everyone stopped going on about it it was actually fine. 

Nearly at the one week mark! Well done everyone! And great to read of the NSV's people are seeing already. I was saying to my husband today that I think my skin has cleared up a bit and my eyes look brighter again. Happy days!

A couple of days ago I told a friend of mine that I was doing another W30. She was disappointed because she had wanted to ask me out to dinner and drinks with a couple of other friends. She was worried that I wouldn't be able to eat or drink anything. We went out last night and it was totally fine. I had dinner earlier, so I wasn't hungry, and drinking juice and sparkling water wasn't bad. Did I want to grab a french fry off their plates? You betcha! But I realized that it wasn't because I was hungry, I was just doing it out of habit. That made things easier. I did miss having beer, a little bit. But it wasn't a problem.

So what did I learn? That I eat a lot out of habit, especially mindless nibbling if things are right in front of me. And, I can totally be social without having to drink (and woke up without a hangover - bonus!) I've also realized how much socializing we do around alcohol and that I could totally cut back and still have a drink occasionally (after the reintroduction of course!) 

@MegT90 I'm so very sorry to hear about your fur babies :(!!! So heartbreaking!!!

@RFS Welcome!!!

@HopingtoHeal sounds like you've had a great week!!! yay you!!!

@tjgett the little things we learn, right? I had a work dinner last night tool...a bit difficult and was worried about not having that  glass of wine but made it through just fine as well!

@NannaJo wow! that will be challenging but ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!! Looking forward to the tips on how you deal with that! I struggle when dining out though most restaurants are pretty good at accommodating requests...a skill I would like to acquire, however:rolleyes: 

DAY 6 is upon us! Cheers to a successful weekend everyone!!!

Day 6

10 mile run this morning and I was lagging. Probably a combination of things: beginning of Whole30, haven't been able to run in two weeks from injury, humidity, and ran out of water at mile 7. So not my best planning. But you know what? I still finished it. My legs are KILLING ME now though. Lots of water and stretching ahead of me. 

Hope everyone is doing great this Saturday! 

So sorry to hear about your pups, @MegT90. That's such a helpless feeling. 

Things have been relatively easy for me until today. We're at a neighbor's birthday BBQ. Let me explain what this means; the best damn food in California, and MiniMe and I can't have any of it! I marinaded some meat to throw on the grill for us, but the appetizers and desserts couldn't be any more tortuous. Bacon wrapped stuffed jalepenos, stuffed mushrooms, amazing homemade chips and salsa, homemade potato salad, cake, ice cream, and a plethora of drinks that must not touch our lips.  MiniMe has perfected my stink eye as she saw the spread of temptation before us. She and I made a plan and discussed what we'd do before we even went over. We were talking about the salsa, and MiniMe came up with the idea of taking romaine lettuce leaves and dipping them instead of chips! That child is so strong and resolute. I came thiiiis close to speaking one of those stuffed jalepenos, but then I thought about everything she has given up this week and I walked away from the platter.

We brought a fruit platter full of things we're allowed to have, and we head for that each time we want something else. I know we aren't supposed to snack, but this is helping us through. We brewed some green tea with mint this morning and iced it so the other drinks aren't so interesting to us. We're managing, and it isn't the end of the world. But I made my neighbor promise to make stuffed jalepenos for me on Day 31.

There has been no tiger blood for me yet. I am still feeling bloated and tired and bored with my food already so I will have to make something new this weekend. 

I knew knew when I started his whole 30that I wouldn't be compliant last night. I met an old friend and we made plans a month ago. I had 2 glasses of wine. The good news is that my stomach was ok . Of course I will have start again, so this is my new day 1. After reading everyone's post , now I realize how weak I sound! 

I appreciate everyone's strength - so thanks to all.

49 minutes ago, 50andstillhere said:

I knew knew when I started his whole 30that I wouldn't be compliant last night. I met an old friend and we made plans a month ago. I had 2 glasses of wine. The good news is that my stomach was ok . Of course I will have start again, so this is my new day 1. After reading everyone's post , now I realize how weak I sound! 

@MegT90  so sorry about your lil pals. :( Please look after yourself and as someone suggested time for some non food nurturing. 

@50andstillhere I've done this heaps of times and I just start again too.  I was getting a little down on myself but then I realized overall and over time  I was eating better than I've ever eaten even if I did have the off plan thingy and go back to day 1 again. ;)  No day and no meal was "wasted".   I applaud you for showing up and doing it again!  It's a new day one so you go girl! 

I'm going ok but feeling pretty flat and still reaching for sweet after a meal. I have a cup of mixed berries or some rockmelon but still thinking this is sort of pampering my sugar dragon.  I  had to laugh at myself when I saw someone on tv eating a white bread sandwich and all I could do was watch the damn sandwich!! :rolleyes: Also had a dream about cup cakes and I don't even eat those!  Folks I'm feelin this sugar/carb thing on many levels.  Anyhoo I  will keep on swimmin..keep on swimmin.. 

I love that this has become a thread of so many at different points in their journey! I think there is more support to be found as well as given that way!!!

Today is day 7 for me...part two of "I just want a nap"...and yes, I do -_- ( did I mention I just woke up???)

@50andstillhere don't be too hard on yourself! you had a few glasses of wine and enjoyed an old friend!! that's a good thing!!! now, you are back on w30 and that's amazing! you didn't let one slip totally derail you like I have done in the past...good for you!!!

@Lady49er you and minime rock!!! congrats! not to mention all the pre-planning is impressive! yay you!!!

Yesterday was a bit difficult for me...I was really wanting my weekend mexican food and margarita...so did hubs who is NOT doing w30...makes it tough. I did convince him to grill some steaks/asparagus instead but watching him with that glass of wine had me drooling:o. It may be time to admit I have a problem, lol... I also did not manage to motivate myself to engage in any sort of therapeutic physical activity, though I did do a pretty fantastic job of holding down the sofa if I should say so myself ;o)

Today is a new day...I will do better (she tells herself;)) I will forge through...I will carry on...I will eat properly...and I will move for at least an hour!!!

Hope you all have a fabulous day!!!

16 hours ago, MegT90 said:

Day 6

10 mile run this morning and I was lagging. Probably a combination of things: beginning of Whole30, haven't been able to run in two weeks from injury, humidity, and ran out of water at mile 7. So not my best planning. But you know what? I still finished it. My legs are KILLING ME now though. Lots of water and stretching ahead of me. 

Hope everyone is doing great this Saturday! 

10 miles!!! You Go Girl!!!

Thank you everyone for the support! It's been a rough week for the family. I am taking time to just snuggle with my pups and be grateful. 

Today is Day 7! That week blew by. I think it was because of all of you wonderful people. 

I am just not hungry today. I was for breakfast and I had a nice filling delicious breakfast. But since then, nothing. I forced myself to eat a salad with tuna for lunch. Doing good though. Getting stuff done. 

We are on the way to baseball games for our sons an hour away. I packed a grilled chicken salad (mixed greens, two boiled eggs, 1/2 grilled chicken breast, sliced almonds, tomato, and homemade dressing) to eat for lunch when we arrive. I made paleo banana pancakes to bring for our sons along with grapes and fat bombs I made for them yesterday. My husband just went through the drive-thru and got himself a double bacon cheeseburger.... At least I am able to keep the boys going with me!

Day 8 here we go...I'm really hoping it's a better day than yesterday. Wh30 timeline says days 4-5 are kill all things day but I had mine yesterday. Entire fam was cutting a wide path around me...Woke up with massive headache today too. :wacko: 

Hope you all had a better one!

Day 8 

No excessive bloating like the timeline predicts. But I'm just not feeling it today. I don't know what's up but I just want everyone to leave me alone and I feel like just talking is draining. I am an introvert and haven't had any alone time of quality. And on top of that, I've had an excessive amount of socializing time because of the start of school and my boyfriends parents are in town. 

I think I just need a morning to myself tomorrow. My doggo has an appt at 11, so I will just work from home and enjoy some solitude. 

30 is going great foodwise. 

Everybody is doing great! I'm on Day 29...can't believe it. This has gone by so fast for me. I feel like last time it TOOK FOREVER. But I was motivated to keep going. I have so many dinners out (conferences, etc) that I'm not going to push myself to be 100% after the end of the 30 days. But much like last time, I'm taking waaaay longer than most to really reach those NSVs....and that scale victory. :P So I'll still be around and mostly compliant after 30 days! In fact, next weekend I'm going on a backpacking trip and that will (hopefully) be strict Whole30. My favorite jerky has sugar in it. I'm trying to find an acceptable alternative. But I'll be posting my food from that trip on a thread in the Whole30 for Athletes forum to prove that you can take nutritious food in to the "backcountry" (you can frequently see houses on the trail I'm going on... :P ).

Oh, I wanted to add that I got my kids (age 5 and 7) on a 6.7 mile hike this weekend. That's pushing their longest ever. I didn't keep very close track before our first backpacking trip as a family in March. I used the step count/mile tracker on the iphone after that trip, as well as correlating with the mileages listed on the maps. I calculated 7 miles for one of those days, but can't quite be sure. So this weekend was definitely an accomplishment! I'm trying to get them up to 10 miles a day which will allow us to hike essentially any trail in Texas. :) 

Oh my gosh, that sounds heavenly, @Sytera! Can you pack my next game picnic for me??? I'm team Mom for cheer, which means I take care of all the snacks. I keep things relatively healthy anyway, usually a fruit (unsweetened applesauce or a banana), a juice box, and a crunchy "goodie" like a small bag of vanilla wafers, flavored rice cakes, or something similar. Of course there's always water. Anything that doesn't stain the uniforms! MIniMe barely noticed the difference because she had her iced green tea with mint and got a snack bag of freeze dried strawberries and bananas. Nobody else noticed she was eating differently either, which was nice. Then some mom came over with a ginormous bag of candy, and the cheer coach tackled her in a way that rivaled what was going on at the field. LOL!

Dinner was meh. I made salisbury steak meatballs and put it on mashed potatoes for MiniMe and me and on noodles for Daddy and Sissy. Neither child was impressed, so we're crossing that off the list. 

I had to run out to the grocery store last night. My husband said he knows that they aren't on my diet, but could I pick him up some cookies. Yes, he's still alive. I got the last laugh though because ants invaded his package of cookies. Karma can be so cruel. 

Something I've noticed is that for as much sugar as I used to eat, I don't really miss it. When I see something tempting, I remind myself it'll be here after thirty days. Still, I'm not feeling very deprived. In fact, I feel like we're getting more than we're giving up. Sissy isn't on the diet, but she has scaled way back on her sugar intake, we're saving money by not eating out so much, and one of teachers at school today asked my husband if MiniMe lost weight because she was looking thinner. Yowza! And we're just barely over a week into this! 

It's great to read how everyone is doing! @Lady49er great to hear that you guys are noticing tangible change from week one! It's so motivating when you start to see those changes happening!

I don't know that I am seeing much change at the moment. My energy and sleep pattern are not great and I'm hoping as we get to the end of this week I will see breakthrough with that! 

It's interesting the impact of the changing seasons is having for me, I think in some ways it seemed easier in June as summer rolled around than this time as we move into autumn - I clearly have some autumn traditions like making apple and blackberry crumble that I feel a bit sad about missing for now, and I realise just how much of a habit takeaway on a Saturday night used to be - a total comfort thing that used to get me through a long day of teaching on a Saturday. I'm trying to focus on the cosy Saturday night feeling without associating it with takeaway and snacks... candles, blankets, maybe a bubble bath?

Yesterday at work was another challenge as I had a session with our young volunteers which involves ordered in pizza, it was actually easier than I imagined to avoid it - this time last year I would have found it impossible not to eat some! Small victories!

I have a few hours between jobs today so planning to get out on my bike but not as far a ride as last week, just to get my body moving!!

How is everyone else's day 9 going?

My husband and I also started on the 11th! So glad we have company :) And honestly, it has been a breeze... not sure why people complaint. Let's see how the next few weeks go, though. I've been enjoying planning my weekly menu and experimenting with new recipes, as well as making so much from scratch! The only downside has been the time it takes me to do dinner, but I also understand that preparation is the solution to that. I am struggling with breakfast ideas, so if anyone has some good tips and quick recipes, please share along. 

Day 9 is going fine! 

I was able to sleep in this morning before my pup's vet appt.  I could definitely use that extra sleep. And then I just cuddled her on the couch until it was time to go. We start her on the prednisone today (we can't afford chemotherapy). But the doc said that because she isn't showing any symptoms, in rare occasions, the steroids have put dogs into remission. I am not getting my hopes up, but it's definitely something to be praying for. 

Whole30- It's been going really well. It really wasn't a huge adjustment from how I had been eating right before. And I haven't had to change any of my cooking habits, so that helps. I just don't use not compliant ingredients in my food. The only hard part has been planning dinners for school nights. Tuna has been my godsend there. 

I'm feeling good though. :) And hope everyone else is too!

Today was my first struggle getting a filling lunch. I baked salmon fillets and had a small side salad. It was obviously not enough because I still felt very hungry afterwards. I put my plate in the sink and made some celery with homemade 4-nut butter (macadamia, pecan, cashew, almond) and had two small stalks. I finished off my lunch with an almond macadamia coconut ball I made over the weekend. I am not sure I can make it six hours until normal dinner time so it may be an early meal.

I have made it to day nine without snacking between meals (huge thing for me) and have only had fruit twice (1/4 apple in a salad and handful of blueberries on a salad). I am really trying to tame the Sugar Dragon and those fruits were so sweet it made me want more. I am trying to go ten days before eating fruit again. The blueberries were Saturday so seven days left

My three sons are doing great eating paleo. There are a few Clif bars left in the house but I am saving them for soccer or baseball games. They are better than the Skittles and cosmic brownies handed out recently, which were either refused or thrown away by my boys. They ask me lots of questions about why I can and cannot eat certain things. It is starting a good dialogue with them about nutrition.

One confession: I had a really hard time last night making my sons a snack after soccer because I so badly wanted to eat it. My favorite snack is almond butter banana "ice cream" with homemade chocolate (almond butter, bit of maple syrup, coconut oil, and cocoa powder) melted on top. I simply smelled their bowls (they didn't even have chocolate) and went to my room to read. I may have it for breakfast on Day 31.

Archived