Introduction

Neha Tripathi

Hello everybody,

My name is Neha Tripathi. I just started the whole 30 program yesterday. Today is my day 2. I feel otherwise great. Just that I have severe diarrhea. Is this normal ? Is this something that's common ? I have been eating eggs for breakfast with grilled tomatoes, a warm salad and soup for lunch and 2 pieces of grilled chicken with salad for dinner. Yesterday I also had a fresh mixed fruit juice. 

I am really excited to do this. I want to lose weight and feel good and healthy. This diarrhea is bothering me. Pls advice.

Thanks 

Hey @Neha Tripathi & welcome to Whole30 :)

Sorry to here about your diarrhea... Some change in bowel movements is not uncommon, however it's unlikely this would happen on the 1st or 2nd day... Is it possible you ate something to upset your stomach in the days running up to your start date? Is this a big departure from how you were eating previously?

As an aside, fruit juice is fine for adding a splash to water to liven it up a little, or for using in recipes but we'd prefer that you eat your fruit rather than drink it - the digestive system doesn't recognise liquid foods in the same way that it recognizes solids.

Thanks so much for your reply. I feel much better today. Tummy has half settled. Yes, I was eating everything before this...so must be a jolt for my body. Glad that you clarified that juice should not be an option.

Also, have a few more questions..1) is there any restriction on quantity ? 

2) what's the allowed quantity of clarified butter or Olive oil ?

3) can we eat potato/ sweet potato ?

4) what should be the amount of nuts that one can eat ? Can we have raisins ? It takes care of the sweet urge...

5) eggs...can be the full egg or white is preferred?

6) I am having a multivitamin tablet called supradyn along with breakfast...and a shelcal 500 with dinner. I hope that won't clash with this...

My aim along with feeling good is to also lose weight. Is there an expectation that I can set here ? I also workout 5 days a week in the morning and walk in the evening. 

Look forward to your reply.

Cheers! Neha 

15 minutes ago, Neha Tripathi said:

Thanks so much for your reply. I feel much better today. Tummy has half settled. Yes, I was eating everything before this...so must be a jolt for my body. Glad that you clarified that juice should not be an option.

Also, have a few more questions..1) is there any restriction on quantity ? Quantity of....? have you seen the recommended template of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (with 3 being optimal - FILL your plate), and a generous serving of fat?

2) what's the allowed quantity of clarified butter or Olive oil ? See above - a generous drizzle of olive oil or a table spoon or two of ghee/clarified butter

3) can we eat potato/ sweet potato ? Yes, start with a fist sized serving of starchy veg per day & see how you feel - you may need more or less. I always recommend holding them back to the third meal as this aides with sleep, and helps keep blood sugar more stable.

4) what should be the amount of nuts that one can eat ? A closed handful (or equivalent in butter/milk etc) every other day, max Can we have raisins ? It takes care of the sweet urge... Try NOT feeding sugar cravings with fruit. Try reaching for a fat of some kind - IF a distraction technique doesn't work. Raisins are fine so long as they have no off plan ingredients added to them - many do.

5) eggs...can be the full egg or white is preferred? The full egg. And if eggs are your only protein in a meal a serving would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand. Three is generally a good place for most females to start.

6) I am having a multivitamin tablet called supradyn along with breakfast...and a shelcal 500 with dinner. I hope that won't clash with this... Have you read the ingredients label for off plan items?

My aim along with feeling good is to also lose weight. Is there an expectation that I can set here ? I also workout 5 days a week in the morning and walk in the evening. I'd recommend you aim to improve your overall health. This is NOT a diet. Some people (but not all) find that they lose weight as a result of switching to a whole food diet, but that is not always the case. Results very much depend on your start point, and your previous diet/relationship with food, as well as any pre-existing medical conditions. 

Look forward to your reply.

Cheers! Neha 

I've answered above for you.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I think I am on the right track and good for now. 

I am really enjoying cooking my meals and waiting to crack the cravings.

Another question for you...sesame seeds and flax seeds ...is that ok? I have been using both as a topping for my salad.

Thanks! Neha 

1 hour ago, Neha Tripathi said:

Another question for you...sesame seeds and flax seeds ...is that ok? I have been using both as a topping for my salad

Yep, both are fine, but these would be grouped with the nuts as they are higher in inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids than they are in omega 3 fatty acids and can be disruptive to the gut.

Archived